mookiesurfs

Stupid Easy 2-up

What is the most stupid easy to rig and sail boat out there that can hold two people?  

We’re moving to a little 1 mile by two mile lake, and I’m looking for something I can push off the beach and take Bow drinking in. Drinking more than sailing, and certainly not racing.

Get an old Buckaneer if mono or a Hobie if not..  or something with some lead, Capri? if all you want to do is hang w beer.  Just beech??  Maybe an old 70's pointy thing you can get really really cheap and just go bang around.  Ensign...  No tippy and a tank.  

http://buccaneer18.org/

https://sail1design.com/buc18/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobie_Cat

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/capri-165-catalina. $1,200

Drunken Sunfish racing could be a lot of fun. 

• Like 2

Sunfish was one of my first thoughts, especially since there is an abandoned one in the weeds. But, this lake is slap full of gators and cottonmouths, so some freeboard as “drinking insurance” might be a good idea.

• Like 3

Harbor 20?? By the time he drags a 2000 pound keel boat off of his beach he will need more than a few drinks!  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GH41 said:

Harbor 20?? By the time he drags a 2000 pound keel boat off of his beach he will need more than a few drinks!  

oops - didn't read that part!

28 minutes ago, mookiesurfs said:

Sunfish was one of my first thoughts, especially since there is an abandoned one in the weeds. But, this lake is slap full of gators and cottonmouths, so some freeboard as “drinking insurance” might be a good idea.

Each boat gets a flare gun and three flares. Contestants can choose between wearing a life vest and a nomex fire suit.

But seriously, if I lived near a lake full of cottonmouths and gators, I'd stick to PS4 and bong hits.

• Like 1

P1060646.jpg

Get a force 5 easy to set up and on the cheap.Plenty of room for a little cooler.

Hmmmm, just found a Hobie Holder 12 on CL. That looks about right. Anyone know anything about them?

had a hull from one put a laser sail on it and funky f/g mast

sailed ok  but more of a semi board/boat ie sit on not in

a holder 14 has lot more freeboard  have one now

or an oday daysailor

Vanguard FJ?

peg.jpg?crc=131895597

Melonseed skiff?  If its a small lake, might as well have a stupid easy to rig and launch boat that looks good too!

The Remarkable Melonseed Skiff

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crash said:

peg.jpg?crc=131895597

Melonseed skiff?  If its a small lake, might as well have a stupid easy to rig and launch boat that looks good too!

The Remarkable Melonseed Skiff

Oooooh. Drinking with style IS important; I think we can all agree to that.

To the Craigslist!   Inland lake communities often have a variety of old boats in yards and wood lots.  Look for a Buccaneer or Mutineer.  I was helping a buddy find a little runabout a few years back and stumbled on a used TASER!!! - in good shape too.  He didn't go for it and it's bugged me since!

16 hours ago, apophenia said:

But seriously, if I lived near a lake full of cottonmouths and gators, I'd stick to PS4 and bong hits.

Yep. I'd be to frightened to go to the boat park, let alone launch. I'd move house. I'd move a long way.

Precision 15- got one for sale cheap if ya want it!

BlueJay, trailerable and has a spinnaker and enough hull to actually go camping overnight.

I grew up and learned to sail on a wooden Blue Jay on the Hudson River.  It would fit the bill nicely.  Little harder to rig/de-rig than a melonseed, but as said, has a spinnaker...