Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Hornblower

2020 Sam Myers Memorial Regatta

The great thing is we still have his memorial regatta.

The sucky thing is Sam Died four decades ago. 

Sam was in his thirties and was one of those guys who put together events, dragged others out to join in, helped rig new guy’s toys. Sent an experienced crew to help a newbie skipper sort things out. Showed up a day early to go sail with those who weren’t quite ready fir the next day. Knew where to get EVERYTHING. Brought trophies. 

Pretty much I have tried to be a Sam ************ for other fleets during the fifty years since I met Sam. First and got most, he wanted to see me out on Fireball 1300. He also loved to help

me be a better organizer for Sidewinder, Copperhead, and OK Dinghy sailing. 

My Easter Laser Regatta started with at least 50% Sam driven fun ideas. Sam loved creative trophies, but the racing was always right for the fleet. 
I remember a Fireball event at Leatherlips YC where six boats were overlapped drifting downwind across a finish line because each of us wanted the third place trophy more than either of the first or second place bottles of wine. 
note: I got that  third place trophy And we all shared it 

. I can tell you for certain, a whole lot of people have enjoyed a whole lot of sailing because we stood on Sam’s shoulders. 
September sailing along the south side of Lake Erie , pymatunung, Chautauqua, Cross Lake, Silver Lake, the finger lakes and even as far south as Berlin Reservoir Works. The area seems to have racing conditions every day after the August doldrums end. 
 Maybe this would be a great year to have a huge turnout at the Sam memorial. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Gouvernail said:

The great thing is we still have his memorial regatta.

The sucky thing is Sam Died four decades ago. 

Sam was in his thirties and was one of those guys who put together events, dragged others out to join in, helped rig new guy’s toys. Sent an experienced crew to help a newbie skipper sort things out. Showed up a day early to go sail with those who weren’t quite ready fir the next day. Knew where to get EVERYTHING. Brought trophies. 

Pretty much I have tried to be a Sam ************ for other fleets during the fifty years since I met Sam. First and got most, he wanted to see me out on Fireball 1300. He also loved to help

me be a better organizer for Sidewinder, Copperhead, and OK Dinghy sailing. 

My Easter Laser Regatta started with at least 50% Sam driven fun ideas. Sam loved creative trophies, but the racing was always right for the fleet. 
I remember a Fireball event at Leatherlips YC where six boats were overlapped drifting downwind across a finish line because each of us wanted the third place trophy more than either of the first or second place bottles of wine. 
note: I got that  third place trophy And we all shared it 

. I can tell you for certain, a whole lot of people have enjoyed a whole lot of sailing because we stood on Sam’s shoulders. 
September sailing along the south side of Lake Erie , pymatunung, Chautauqua, Cross Lake, Silver Lake, the finger lakes and even as far south as Berlin Reservoir Works. The area seems to have racing conditions every day after the August doldrums end. 
 Maybe this would be a great year to have a huge turnout at the Sam memorial. 

Great story Gouvernail!

• Like 1

I would especially welcome any Fireballs, mostly because I own one now and want to sail against other Fireball sailors and because I really want to revive the Fireball action here.

• Like 1

A quick update, so far we will still be holding the Sam Myers Regatta unless there is a change in Covid 19 regulations.

More details and race instructions will be coming soon. If you have questions contact Brian Duchon at brianduchon@gmail.com

Current Registration List

Nick Schneider   Dorothy Leemhuis   Windmill
Mike labarre   Karen Labarre   Hobie 18
Dominic Keim   Robert Keim   Fireball
Patrick Huntley   Janet Huntley   Windmill
Ralph sponar III   Sandra Sponar   Windmill
Cayce Mcwilliams       windmill
Chris Demler   Nancy Demler   Windmill
Allen Chauvenet   Sarah Steward   Windmill
Tim Polaski       Sunfish
Henry Polaski       Sunfish
Matt Sponar   Allie Sponar   Windmill
Donald Fritz       Sunfish
Bob Maiorano       Force 5
Noah Craciun       Force 5
David Armstrong       Force 5
Dave Butcher   Lisa Butcher   Hobie  

Sam Myers results are in! https://www.pymatuningsailingclub.com/wp-content/uploads/SamMyers2020Results.pdf

Great photos of the event https://www.amorisenyfineart.com/Sailing/Sam-Myers-Memorial-Regatta-September-12-13-2020/n-RZ6mxq/ make shure to check out the pics towards the end of the gallery!

Looks like the racing was close and exciting.

I'm a little conflicted about public events right now but it's great to see this happening. And congrats, DK (we have the same initials)

FB- Doug

• Like 1