I'm looking to store and deploy my main and kedge warps from plastic reels, which I'll stow when not needed. Large 'expedition' yachts have their reels mounted on deck, on fixed frames. I don't have space on the deck of my 27-footer to spare for fixed frames, so am looking to 'invent' and fabricate something which is demountable/foldable/stowable, but which can be swiftly secured on deck - or across the cockpit - when wanted.

Any bright ideas would be welcome - preferably with pics or sketches.

Chain or rope or both? How much?

I simply pile mine in milk crates. Works great. Easy to rinse, dry, stack and carry, too.

• Like 1

He might be able to help if he stopped playing.

• Like 2

bags that are taller than they are wide work too - take a look at throwing rope bags, just scaled up.  If you sew a wire around the opening with a carabiner or two to clip to the lifelines it will hold it open for re-stuffing as you reel it in.  Do the whole thing or at least the bottom out of mesh, and when they're dry you can stuff them in a locker.  Not quite as fancy as rolling up a spool, but honestly if shorthanded think it's just as easy, and keeps clutter out of the cockpit.  I think Beth and Evans  @estarzinger may have wrote about doing it this way as well on either their website (which I think is no longer online) or in their book for a 48'er, but can't quite remember anymore.

• Like 2

IKEA blue bag worked for me. Wide opening so you just flake it in, won't rot, and dirt cheap.

Also Broom stick or boat hook through plastic rope reels as temp axle lashed to stern pulpit. 

1" tubular nylon climbing webbing is very, very compact. I had 150'/50m in a nylon stuff sack bag that was about 2L in volume.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, El Boracho said:

milk crates

done .

next ?

11 hours ago, bilbobaggins said:

I'm looking to store and deploy my main and kedge warps from plastic reels, which I'll stow when not needed. Large 'expedition' yachts have their reels mounted on deck, on fixed frames. I don't have space on the deck of my 27-footer to spare for fixed frames, so am looking to 'invent' and fabricate something which is demountable/foldable/stowable, but which can be swiftly secured on deck - or across the cockpit - when wanted.

Any bright ideas would be welcome - preferably with pics or sketches.

Netting rope stuffing bags are good for long mooring lines. they can be washed/hosed in the bag , left on deck or in a deck box or slung below when dry. 

When single handed it's best to run the line out of a bag in the dinghy, then you can fix any run-out snarl-up immediately.

The reel, axle and fixings must be strong enough to stop the bitter end. There being no way to fix the end outside of the reel, right? Advantage to bag or crate.