Sailbydate

Vendée – Arctique – Les Sables d’Olonne race.

Recommended Posts

Is there a full list of what boat is what? What generation? What the boat was previously? Etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The stream will end very soon, they should at least keep it on after the coming mark for 20 or 30mn !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yl75 said:

The Imoca class should really organise an English stream, quite a few English speaking peole in the chat.

Yes. After being over there for the VG start in 2012 and then in Switzerland in 2013 at the launch of the "IMOCA Globe Series", I am shocked and disappointed that they still don't have a real English presence. That as one of Sir Keith's top priorities at the time of launching the Globe Series, was to 'de-Frenchify' the class and make it truly hold international appeal.

Ruyant is not second to last. He is quite close to the leaders. There seemed to be a tracker error for the first few minutes that showed him further back. 

I think Isabelle Joschke on MACSF is going to be one to watch. Her boat looked really, really efficient in how it was foiling and moving through the water, and she is showing great speed and moving up through the rankings. She is an incredibly impressive sailor and was doing brilliant things with her older boat last year, even before the big re-fit. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ronnie_simpson said:

Yes. After being over there for the VG start in 2012 and then in Switzerland in 2013 at the launch of the "IMOCA Globe Series", I am shocked and disappointed that they still don't have a real English presence. That as one of Sir Keith's top priorities at the time of launching the Globe Series, was to 'de-Frenchify' the class and make it truly hold international appeal.

 

Plus it should be quite easy to do : take Sam Goodchild, Conrad, Phil Sharp or some other English speaking skipper, a "sailing jounalist", exactly the same video stream, I really wonder why they didn't do it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Helicopters, boats, on board cameras. As usual no footage of mark roundings... It is soo dissapointing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Charal has just hit the lead after the mark rounding. I have Charal then L'Occitane then Arkea 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yl75 said:

Plus it should be quite easy to do : take Sam Goodchild, Conrad, Phil Sharp or some other English speaking skipper, a "sailing jounalist", exactly the same video stream, I really wonder why they didn't do it.

They don't want the English influence on their sport.! The French know best. Wouldn't have a clue......:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cifrian said:

Helicopters, boats, on board cameras. As usual no footage of mark roundings... It is soo dissapointing.

Indeed, really stupid to stop before the first mark rounding, just put the mark closer if the budget doesn't allow for a longer stream !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Plus it should be quite easy to do : take Sam Goodchild, Conrad, Phil Sharp or some other English speaking skipper, a "sailing jounalist", exactly the same video stream, I really wonder why they didn't do it.

They did that at the start of the VG in 2012 when I was there for SA. They had Alan Block (Mr Clean) in the booth with Dee Caffari and some other bloke and they did an English language commentary for the existing video feed. I fully agree with you. It is a major ball-drop on their behalf. Especially having that insight of the IMOCA Globe Series' initial intensions of internationalizing the class.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, terrafirma said:

They don't want the English influence on their sport.! The French know best. Wouldn't have a clue......:D

Really don't think so, they want the international presence, they are just fucking lazy or something :)

And what about just opening the video stream to anyone wanting to put sound on it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cifrian said:

Helicopters, boats, on board cameras. As usual no footage of mark roundings... It is soo dissapointing.

sorta like the Hobart race. All that technology and money and then the feed goes black as soon as they exit the heads. Sailor Girl had me flying a drone offshore from a small powerboat and broadcasting live to Facebook from offshore last year for Hobart, with live commentary. Absolutely no reason they couldn't have the feed stay live until that turning mark. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

L'Occitane in the lead and looks like she is fast enough to run with the VPLP and other new boats. She most likely is the most dry of the rides too. This could be a race to watch. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Really don't think so, they want the international presence, they are just fucking lazy or something :)

And what about just opening the video stream to anyone wanting to put sound on it ?

Agree it would be good to have some English in the commentary. Many of the French in the Imoca world are pretty bilingual and could probably do it in Franglais with a bit of encouragement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why won’t they have an English stream? Cuz it is France. I don’t get why there’s so much moaning about it. Japanese viewers weren’t complaining why there isn’t Japanese. Just enjoy what’s being offered for free. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Why won’t they have an English stream? Cuz it is France. I don’t get why there’s so much moaning about it. Japanese viewers weren’t complaining why there isn’t Japanese. Just enjoy what’s being offered for free. 

The stream was from the "IMOCA Globe series" and relayed by a few TV Channels "France O (O for Outremer), and some FR3 regional channels", I'm not sure the IMOCA class pays for the copters though, might be the local France TV organisation.

But anyway, having a youtube/FB whatever English stream would for sure not cost much more.

Meanwhile the battle seems to be truly going on at the front, T Ruyant in the lead now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charal and Apivia stretching their legs a little and perhaps starting to show their development advantage over L'Occitane. PRB doing amazingly well for her vintage. Charal vs Apivia at the front and I'm tipping Arkea will pass L'Occitane soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Miffy said:

I don’t get why there’s so much moaning about it. Japanese viewers weren’t complaining why there isn’t Japanese.

You're in direct contact with the Japanese viewers? Could you order some Sushi?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of us have been blessed with the opportunity to work abroad and pick up a few things here and there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Charal has a form of deck sweeper in place now under the boom sealing up much of the gap between the boom and the deck/cabin.  Pretty good view of it at the 34 minute mark in the start coverage.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jb5 said:

Looks like Charal has a form of deck sweeper in place now under the boom sealing up much of the gap between the boom and the deck/cabin.

Like the AC boats!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Charal looked to have the foils seriously dialed in on the way out. I guess the extra time in the water is paying off for them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at DMG Mori he was sailing with the bow in the water which is surprising given that its basically Charal v1 and that configuration was very bow up.  Maybe being conservative but definitely looks slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yl75 said:

The stream was from the "IMOCA Globe series" and relayed by a few TV Channels "France O (O for Outremer), and some FR3 regional channels", I'm not sure the IMOCA class pays for the copters though, might be the local France TV organisation.

But anyway, having a youtube/FB whatever English stream would for sure not cost much more.

Meanwhile the battle seems to be truly going on at the front, T Ruyant in the lead now.

The coverage was really excellent.  One of the best I have seen with no BS wasting time away from the boats.  Would be nice to have an English version but otherwise zero complaints from me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Like the AC boats!

Yes and some Ultim and even the A class.  Good idea, there is a lot of power loss with the typical boom/deck gap.  Will be good to see it close up to see more of how it works but I guess these boats create so much apparent wind now the boom is more centered most of the time so that opens the option for introducing this type of arrangement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

L'Occitane seems to be a bit off the pace lately.  Top 7 boats doing 16-18 kts and he's in the 14's.  Looks like he was pacing with the leaders until about 1700 FR, and then they accelerated and he didn't.  Steady drop since then from 3rd place to 8th.  I wonder if something's wrong or if he's just taking it easy to play it as a long game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upwind is generally scow bows’ weakest point of sail. Also tend to avg steady speeds with not much peak or plateaus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, trimfast said:

Arkea Paprec has broken the starboard foil at the hull. Returning to port.

Doesn't inspire confidence about many foils getting around the long course in November...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, that's 3 broken foils on this boat already, quite a bit !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the NOR:

https://www.imoca.org/mediacenter/uploads/avenant_2_(en)_vendeearctique_1505.pdf?version=6c4a770b

Section 7 allows for "technical stops", so Arkea Paprec could resume racing if the team so chooses (and they don't break the terms of a technical stop or officially retire in the meantime).

Does Simon need to finish this to qualify for Vendee?  Edit: I believe I have found the answer...  Looks like he still needs a qualifying 2,000-nm passage...  Which this race would achieve, but he could still opt to do it independently later.  He isn't among the sailors who must do it in a race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. He built a new boat. Finishing this race would satisfy a requirement but it isn’t mandatory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yl75 said:

Wow, that's 3 broken foils on this boat already, quite a bit !

Fucking gutted for them. That is just awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Time limit is double the winner's time, so I'm thinking Simon and anyone else who still needs the 2,000-mile passage has pretty good reason to go ahead and get it done despite breakage, unless the breakage risks compounding into more breakage or injury.  Given the likelihood of foil damage in the actual Vendee, I'd think it would be worthwhile to do some learning about how best to manage without it.

But I'm usually wrong when I think a boat with damage will keep racing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon did the TJV and returned solo as I recall at least part of the way back. He may already be good to go in terms of those qualifications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ARKEA PAPREC was sailing at 17 knots in 20 knots of wind when the damage occurred. Sébastien was inside and the boat went over (knock down I assume). The foil broke at the edge of the hull. Sébastien is on his way to Port-La-Forêt, which he should arrive in the middle of the night.

https://www.scanvoile.com/2020/07/avarie-de-foil-sur-arkea-paprec-vendee-arctique.html?m=1#.XwD5OLkpC7o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jb5 said:

Simon did the TJV and returned solo as I recall at least part of the way back. He may already be good to go in terms of those qualifications. 

He was listed as one of the skippers that use the race to complete their requirements.
Since stops are allowed it makes sense to check for damage. Restarting and getting the requirements done also makes a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Chasm said:

He was listed as one of the skippers that use the race to complete their requirements.
Since stops are allowed it makes sense to check for damage. Restarting and getting the requirements done also makes a lot of sense.

Might be because his boat was technically not in compliance with imoca during TJV or return. Otherwise surprised his miles didn’t count. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There will be more breakages don't worry. Blown away by how well PRB is going. Sad to see Arkea out but breaking foils under load is not a good sign especially so early in the race. Can't see him completing the course come November. The girls doing very well also. Linked Out with a young skipper who worked on the boat himself and he seems to be fast. In a race of durability with a marathon course and with effective foils PRB may be a surprise but we suspect he does better upwind when compared to the newer boats. L'Occitane dropping off the pace but this could be for a few reasons. We know the boat is fast reaching and off the wind maybe one of the fastest? Long way to go who will break next?   

P.S. PRB 3 knots faster than anyone else ATM

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep an eye on BP - Cremer. Investing westward angle for the long beat up the Irish Sea and Ireland. It’s an old boat but the foilers aren’t gonna like the next couple days. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PRB in the lead relishing the conditions. Linked in went East and is fastest boat in the fleet so she could take the lead back soon? Charal and Apivia not enjoying the conditions which makes you wonder how so with Linked In?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2020 at 10:55 PM, Miffy said:

MACSF used to be Marc Guillemot’s Safran... from ~2007. Marc helped Yann Elies when he lost his keel  

then later sailed together on her  

Then Yann Eliès took over the boat. 
Yann and Charlie Dalin then sailed on her together. 

First of the non-foilers in 2016-2017 VG. 
 

Now she’s got foils, rebuilt after a hard grounding at start of TJV. I can’t think of another boat that has this much history and rebuilds. 

PRB?  They were pretty similar boats when first launched and PRB has been updated significantly every 4 years since.

PRB happens to be leading right now, 14 hours in to the race, which is really impressive. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CaptainGigi said:

20200705_162304139.jpeg.ff8b12e8a67cb3e918d5f3359d007637.jpeg

"Most definitely".  :wub:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2020 at 7:03 AM, jb5 said:

Heading to Les Stables at speed 

 

awesome .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

guess the old axiom of slowest way from party to party is dated .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Linkedout is the only new boat that seems to be enjoying these conditions. Charal and Apivia leaking miles. PRB still in 2nd place. What is Thomas Ruyant doing differently?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Linkedout is the only new boat that seems to be enjoying these conditions. Charal and Apivia leaking miles. PRB still in 2nd place. What is Thomas Ruyant doing differently?

 

This boat is based on Guillaume Verdier's design for the VOR's planned replacement for its VO65. Looking pretty strong at the moment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

This boat is based on Guillaume Verdier's design for the VOR's planned replacement for its VO65. Looking pretty strong at the moment.

Probably a bit more of an all rounder then given the TOR convoluted course.  Might explain why it’s doing well with the wind fwd of the beam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

 

  19 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

This boat is based on Guillaume Verdier's design for the VOR's planned replacement for its VO65. Looking pretty strong at the moment.

Probably a bit more of an all rounder then given the TOR convoluted course.  Might explain why it’s doing well with the wind fwd of the beam.

Interesting so is the course for the next Volvo much different to the Vendee Imoca course? If the boat is more of an all rounder then she will have better resale value given they are spec'd for the Volvo race? And if this is the case come Vendee time will she go as well off the wind? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

at the time they would have been assuming the same course as the previous volvo so up through Asia etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer for Paprec, third foil breakage on this boat, do we think they'll put the "spare" foil in Port-La-Forêt  and carry on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

Bummer for Paprec, third foil breakage on this boat, do we think they'll put the "spare" foil in Port-La-Forêt  and carry on?

Do they have a spare? I wouldn't carry on Jon given the foil broke under load so early in the race. That says to me there is something wrong and carrying on could mean another breakage? Not sure if I read this right but I'm not sure Arkea has qualified for the Vendee yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Do they have a spare? I wouldn't carry on Jon given the foil broke under load so early in the race. That says to me there is something wrong and carrying on could mean another breakage? Not sure if I read this right but I'm not sure Arkea has qualified for the Vendee yet?

Yes I think he has, having completed the TJV last year, or do the rules stipulate "solo race" ? ... (but then what about Corum ?)

But indeed they do have spares, the one that broke being brand new as I understand it.

Kevin and Isabelle really impressive, and Clarisse as the first of the non foilers, clearly shows she is not just there for PR.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon retires from the race :

 

There are some damages on the hull, and they don't want to lose time for analysis and repair.

A third foil is currently being constructed, and the current port one is "reversible".

(so I guess he only had one brand new on the start, the one that broke)

He wants to gather all the actors around this new foil to understand what happened (Is Juan deeply involved in that one ? Casing or foil itself ?)

 

News item on their site :

https://www.teamarkeapaprec.com/actualites/111/sebastien-simon-prend-la-decision-d-abandonner

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Linkedout is the only new boat that seems to be enjoying these conditions. Charal and Apivia leaking miles. PRB still in 2nd place. What is Thomas Ruyant doing differently?

So many variables to contemplate, but the big ticket items (Hull, Foils, & Sails) are all ball park territory & competitive. So my question in return would be - Anyone know what brand of Autopilot Thomas is running? Remember also he was a Mini Transat wizz kid, so a 60ft upwind must still feel Limosine like for the Lad....... He'll be pushing super hard to be in front for the French Sunday Evening News shows which will all run decent segments on the race - but the Leader will have the Lions share of coverage and air time - so good on him for taking a small budgeted team to the front, hope he can stay there. Great for the class/sport.

Nice also to see Kevin in PRB doing so well. A Humble but hard man. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Boink said:

So many variables to contemplate, but the big ticket items (Hull, Foils, & Sails) are all ball park territory & competitive. So my question in return would be - Anyone know what brand of Autopilot Thomas is running? Remember also he was a Mini Transat wizz kid, so a 60ft upwind must still feel Limosine like for the Lad....... He'll be pushing super hard to be in front for the French Sunday Evening News shows which will all run decent segments on the race - but the Leader will have the Lions share of coverage and air time - so good on him for taking a small budgeted team to the front, hope he can stay there. Great for the class/sport.

Nice also to see Kevin in PRB doing so well. A Humble but hard man. 

Are any of them a actually running a genuine branded auto-pilot?  I’m sure the actuators are probably off the shelf and so are a lot of the sensors, but I suspect the “brain” is pretty customised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. It’s really great to see they were able to get this race off during these times.  Makes life feel a bit more normal. And what exciting stuff so far!  Escoffier is a beast, and LinkedOut is such a surprise story so far. Can’t wait to see some photos and video from high up north!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MadBrain pilots or B&G (Charal I believe, H5000) or NKE. You can be confused as for instance PRB uses B&G H3000 displays with MadBrain pilot.

imoca_fleet.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Are any of them a actually running a genuine branded auto-pilot?  I’m sure the actuators are probably off the shelf and so are a lot of the sensors, but I suspect the “brain” is pretty customised.

I know that Sam Davies has been running "MadIntec" who are far from off the shelf suppliers - but who have also been working with Macif and few other high profile teams.

On the back of taking what was seen as an old package back to competitiveness, they are regarded somewhat as Flavour of the month in terms of taking Autopilots into far more advanced levels of understanding and control. This is essentail for these Foiling packages that are ridiculously dynamic. 

This is what I was wondering about, hinting at with Thomas on Linked Out. Anyone have the skinny?

EDIT: @LeoV Thanks Leo! You posted at almost the same moment I did, answering my question. Interesting that PRB also has.......

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SCARECROW said:

Are any of them a actually running a genuine branded auto-pilot?  I’m sure the actuators are probably off the shelf and so are a lot of the sensors, but I suspect the “brain” is pretty customised.

Indeed, I think quite a few of them are using "madintec" for the processing/brain part :

https://madintec.com/

 

Edit : LeoV was quicker  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the first big test in Imoca for Madintec.
Off the leading group of 6 now, Charal and Hermann are B&G, rest Madintec.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About Madintec, anybody knows whether below box is really specific electronics, or is it more a "hardened PC" with some form of linux (maybe some specific com cards), and the whole "autopilot part" is mainly software ?

Mad_Brain-e1523450293686.png

How about the equivalent from B&G or NKE these days ? (specific electronics, or software on top of general PC architecture ?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madintec is a combination from AC and Imoca (ex NKE)  input, software and hardware (motherboards and sensors). They install the whole package, calibrate and personalize the software to the boat.

NKE seems to have slowed down in research, and B&G catches up and for some functions maybe better. Madintec is the next level now. It can prove its value this year for Imoca.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, yl75 said:

A third foil is currently being constructed, and the current port one is "reversible".

The reversible one was the one I thought was spare, didn't realise he hadn't got both new foils yet... Pretty major repair if it means redesign this close to the Vendee!

1 hour ago, yl75 said:

About Madintec, anybody knows whether below box is really specific electronics, or is it more a "hardened PC" with some form of linux (maybe some specific com cards), and the whole "autopilot part" is mainly software ?

How about the equivalent from B&G or NKE these days ? (specific electronics, or software on top of general PC architecture ?)

The custom boxes seem to be typically embedded Linux systems, I know the Exocet boxes the Ultimes use for data capture, stress/strain alarms are, you can fairly easily (if you are an OEM manufacturer) get an "off the shelf" package with GPI/O and adapt to your needs as an OEM device, if its all solid state and in an IP68 case it's good enough these days. You've got a bunch of choices CPU wise from high power but usually better performing X86 system on chip, or Linux works well on ARM these days giving you lower power for reasonable punch and then theres the custom GPU style chips NVidia etc are putting out which would be fantastic for any AI modelling they use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JonRowe said:

The reversible one was the one I thought was spare, didn't realise he hadn't got both new foils yet... Pretty major repair if it means redesign this close to the Vendee!

The custom boxes seem to be typically embedded Linux systems, I know the Exocet boxes the Ultimes use for data capture, stress/strain alarms are, you can fairly easily (if you are an OEM manufacturer) get an "off the shelf" package with GPI/O and adapt to your needs as an OEM device, if its all solid state and in an IP68 case it's good enough these days. You've got a bunch of choices CPU wise from high power but usually better performing X86 system on chip, or Linux works well on ARM these days giving you lower power for reasonable punch and then theres the custom GPU style chips NVidia etc are putting out which would be fantastic for any AI modelling they use.

They have a quite refined software aswell (mathematic model of the boat dynamic, her interaction with wave, wind etc). Madintec also advertises to have a quite sofisticated signal treatment to cancel noises on wind sensor and inertial sensor. They also provide on shore data analysis to fine tune the model... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ahstom said:

They have a quite refined software aswell (mathematic model of the boat dynamic, her interaction with wave, wind etc). Madintec also advertises to have a quite sofisticated signal treatment to cancel noises on wind sensor and inertial sensor. They also provide on shore data analysis to fine tune the model... 

Oh no doubt, I suspect "quite refined" is a massive understatement! I meant no disrespect to either company, just that there seems to be a lot of using linux as a base to run your custom software these days. Given the close to real time nature that an IMOCA autopilot needs its equally likely it's some custom FPGA type device too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apivia has picked up speed and threatens the leaders now. L'Occitane gone East. Isabelle smoking too wow this girl can sail. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Madintech has the foiling pilot basically cornered among the new boats. They basically quietly get the commission and BG/NKE basically split the non foiling market in class 40-figaro-mini.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam shortly after the first mark :

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest-Arts & Fenêtres) 

The speed differentials are so impressive between the latest generation boats and ours that there’s no point deluding yourself. We’re 3 to 4 knots slower upwind, 7 or 8 on a reach in certain phases. Even if we are able to catch up, which would be funny, they’ll end up stealing a march on us again.”

Even upwind now an advantage...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damien Seguin (Groupe APICIL) is heading back with a broken alternator mount.
Looks like he is already qualified for the VG.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Fabrice Amedeo (Newrest-Arts & Fenêtres) 

The speed differentials are so impressive between the latest generation boats and ours that there’s no point deluding yourself. We’re 3 to 4 knots slower upwind, 7 or 8 on a reach in certain phases. Even if we are able to catch up, which would be funny, they’ll end up stealing a march on us again.”

Even upwind now an advantage...

Its more latest generation foils than boats obviouly (as Boris with the exact same boat more or less, but new foils is showing, and even more Kevin and Isabelle)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Its more latest generation foils than boats obviouly (as Boris with the exact same boat more or less, but new foils is showing, and even more Kevin and Isabelle)

I think there are some rebuilds that get to thread the needle better than others - grandfathered in hulls with foils probably have a sizable weight advantage over the first gen foilers from 2016. But... hopefully they’re strong enough for southern ocean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Tripon is routing South of the High and planning to get his Northing in on its far side as tomorrow's Low comes in.  Might be viable, particularly if his boat can't compete upwind, but if that's the plan, he could have headed West a lot sooner.

I guess it's more likely that he's trying to stay out of the heaviest winds to preserve himself and his boat for later in the race when he'll be at less of a disadvantage.

 

Edit: Scratch that theory...  he just tacked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been reviewing the list in the second link of my above post #135 against this race's entries, and figured I'd share my notes...

Qualified for Vendee, participating in Arctique (12):

Amedeo, Bestaven, Beyou, Boissieres, Cousin, Cremer, Dalin, Davies, Escoffier, Herrmann, Merron, Pedote

Qualified, not participating (6):

Attanasio, Barrier, Dutreux, le Cam, le Diraison, Roura

Sailing qualifications complete, but other qualifications remain, participating (3):

Ruyant, Seguin (returning to port), Sorel

Sailing qualifications complete, but other qualifications remain, not participating (2):

Huusela, Nigon

Needs a 2,000-nm passage, participating (1):

Simon (Retired)

Needs 2,000 nm passage, not participating (6):

Burton, Colman, Costa, Destremau, Thomson, Troussel

Needs solo race, participating (4):

Joschke, Giraud, Shiraishi, Tripon

Needs solo race, not participating (0):

None

Pip Hare seems to be missing form the article.  I'm not sure of her status.  Also, the article says 6 have completed their sailing requirements, but it only lists 5 names.  I'm not sure why.  Was someone in that category on June 8 when the article was written, who later dropped out and was replaced by Hare?

To summarize:

  • Most of this 20-boat fleet has already done all of their required sailing to qualify for Vendee.
  • Seguin has no particular need to resume racing.
  • None of the seven who need a 2,000 nm passage will attain it in this event.  Simon was actually the only of them to even sign up.  I guess those seven will all do it independently as controlled shakedowns rather than racing.
  • Joschke, Giraud, Shiraishi, and Tripon all really need to finish this race.  I'm not sure if they'll have another opportunity.  So they're theoretically all "racing" in boat preservation mode.
  • So...  I think this explains Tripon's early tack.  I think he chose to stay south of the heaviest winds, beating into 18-22 instead of 25-30.  Boat preservation with the goal being to finish and qualify.  Finish position is a secondary priority
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not

38 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I've been reviewing the list in the second link of my above post #135 against this race's entries, and figured I'd share my notes...

Qualified for Vendee, participating in Arctique (12):

Amedeo, Bestaven, Beyou, Boissieres, Cousin, Cremer, Dalin, Davies, Escoffier, Herrmann, Merron, Pedote

Qualified, not participating (6):

Attanasio, Barrier, Dutreux, le Cam, le Diraison, Roura

Sailing qualifications complete, but other qualifications remain, participating (3):

Ruyant, Seguin (returning to port), Sorel

Sailing qualifications complete, but other qualifications remain, not participating (2):

Huusela, Nigon

Needs a 2,000-nm passage, participating (1):

Simon (Retired)

Needs 2,000 nm passage, not participating (6):

Burton, Colman, Costa, Destremau, Thomson, Troussel

Needs solo race, participating (4):

Joschke, Giraud, Shiraishi, Tripon

Needs solo race, not participating (0):

None

Pip Hare seems to be missing form the article.  I'm not sure of her status.  Also, the article says 6 have completed their sailing requirements, but it only lists 5 names.  I'm not sure why.  Was someone in that category on June 8 when the article was written, who later dropped out and was replaced by Hare?

To summarize:

  • Most of this 20-boat fleet has already done all of their required sailing to qualify for Vendee.
  • Seguin has no particular need to resume racing.
  • None of the seven who need a 2,000 nm passage will attain it in this event.  Simon was actually the only of them to even sign up.  I guess those seven will all do it independently as controlled shakedowns rather than racing.
  • Joschke, Giraud, Shiraishi, and Tripon all really need to finish this race.  I'm not sure if they'll have another opportunity.  So they're theoretically all "racing" in boat preservation mode.
  • So...  I think this explains Tripon's early tack.  I think he chose to stay south of the heaviest winds, beating into 18-22 instead of 25-30.  Boat preservation with the goal being to finish and qualify.  Finish position is a secondary priority

I think with current economic situation available spots in the vendee ghlobe are not anymore a problem. If the organisation trusts the boat and the skipper, even without fullfilling each requirement, that skipper will start the vendee.

On other note I would love to see Colman taking the start but I have not seen any more news since the video he did inside of a washing machine. It looks like his campaign is not moving much. Hope to be wrong though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And don’t forget there’s an element of “public interest” that’ll determine whether they’ll use the special invitations. I have a feeling that new boats will be invited no matter what - amongst skippers looking to finish not win, their ability to generate daily media, women/skippers from less common countries, personality/history will be more important.

some participants are dry like cardboard and if they don’t qualify outright and beat out on miles - I don’t even think anyone will miss them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

 

  • Joschke, Giraud, Shiraishi, and Tripon all really need to finish this race.  I'm not sure if they'll have another opportunity.  So they're theoretically all "racing" in boat preservation mode.

 

 

Someone forgot to tell Isabelle that.  She is kicking ass. 5th place right now.

Clarisse is also doing it wrong. Non-foilers are not supposed to be in the middle of the foiling fleet.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites