Sailbydate

Vendée – Arctique – Les Sables d’Olonne race.

Looks like Pedote is gonna try the East. He’s 24 back from Mori for comparison.   Still looks viable to me. Surprised everyone else is following the leaders. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Agree, Kenny. Looks like they're all gonna have to go left anyway, unless someone brave wants to take on that high pressure ridge roadblock.

Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 10.57.01 AM.png

Edited by Sailbydate
Ridge

The forecast has been pretty consistent   Maybe they need AT to mix things up!

Meantime, Sam benefits nicely being outside the header. I wonder if her polars favor that course or she chose it strategically? 

11 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

The forecast has been pretty consistent   Maybe they need AT to mix things up!

Meantime, Sam benefits nicely being outside the header. I wonder if her polars favor that course or she chose it strategically? 

Why would he mix it up at all? 

There's a split, not reason to do anything wildly different as far as I can see. 

Well if AT went way West you would have to keep an eye on him at least if not actively cover him.

Sam is on fire..! This must give her so much confidence for the Vendee if the weather is all over the shot. Her VMG sailing has been first class along with her tactical decisions IMO

• Like 1

Looks like there won't be any windy downwind segment in this race, at least for the leaders, a bit of a bummer ..

Just now, yl75 said:

Looks like there won't be any windy downwind segment in this race, at least for the leaders, a bit of a bummer ..

they had windy downwind for a bit, at the passage of the 2nd low. Dalin was consistently the quickest by a hair, oftentimes clocking in at 26 knots. 

3 hours ago, terrafirma said:

Sam is on fire..! This must give her so much confidence for the Vendee if the weather is all over the shot. Her VMG sailing has been first class along with her tactical decisions IMO

She is due some good luck in the Vendee Globe, hope she gets it this go around. I think Isabelle Josschke could surprise a lot of people as well. Too bad Clarisse doesn't have a foiler. Sending her out on a boat with straight boards, as good as that boat is, just makes no sense to me. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Corryvreckan said:

I don't think there's any delay in resetting to the new waypoint.  I'm inferring from the fact that the lead boats have much less negative 24hr VMGs than the others - that implies that they are much less far from the  south waypoint compared to 24 hours ago than the boats further back in the fleet.

There is no resetting, just that when they pass a waypoint, VMG is then measured to the next WP. 1h after passing the WP, they have been sailing 1h south and 23h north to get to the previous point. Those 23h are negative progress toward the new WP hence negative value and deceasing with time.

Really nice race to follow, 8 boats within 20nm or so with some spread west to east. Don't think Isabelle or Yannick are among the candidates for victory, but pretty difficult to pick a boat from the other 6. I am sure they love it as well and should feel like a long inshore race on how it's close battle. They should see each other pretty regularly given their position.

Looking at wind prediction, it seems they will have some upwind again during the weekend. That's pretty much the state in which they sailed the whole race.

51 minutes ago, Lakrass said:

There is no resetting, just that when they pass a waypoint, VMG is then measured to the next WP. 1h after passing the WP, they have been sailing 1h south and 23h north to get to the previous point. Those 23h are negative progress toward the new WP hence negative value and deceasing with time.

All very logical and mathematically understandable but from a commonsense point of view it is simply wrong and stupid to show this parameter as any kind of VMG. Presenting a parameter named Velocity Made Good over 24 hours which can be negative decreasing whilst a boat is actually sailing forwards in the intended racing direction is obvious madness and should not be done. Giancarlo has not on average been sailing backwards for the last 24 hours! People writing tracker software need to "get real". This is just bad, lazy work which is all too common in the IT and software industries. It would be a little more work to show a genuine 24 hr VMG but not rocket science.

• Like 2

The only thing I can see is bugger all wind, a big hole and a lot more pain for everyone.

Time for Thomas aboard LinkedOut to start reclaiming that lead.

200619_es_polaryse_imoca_1119-2.jpeg

10 years ago, what foils, do not be daft. And now... nice photo ^^^^

So the boats are now attacking over a line almost 60 miles wide. Apivia to PRB. 6 boats. That is very wide.

3 hours ago, Lakrass said:

Exactly.

Posted (edited)

Herman the German in the lead! Good that all of the 8 frontrunners are within an hour of each other. This is tight racing - with so many different design approaches showing the maturity of IMOCA. In the Vendee it might all come down who would withstand the battering & bruising in the Southern Ocean the longest. I see that the body gets the limiting factor. The loads will only decrease with Class Restrictions. A close shave as investments in innovation should not be challenged.

But this weekend long we can enjoy the close racing!

image.png.0160be3bb14a19f7d4ee9915a1bd14a4.png

Edited by Knut Grotzki
Screenshot inserted
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Knut Grotzki said:

Herman the German in the lead! Good that all of the 8 frontrunners are within an hour of each other. This is tight racing - with so many different design approaches showing the maturity of IMOCA. In the Vendee it might all come down who would withstand the battering & bruising in the Southern Ocean the longest. I see that the body gets the limiting factor. The loads will only decrease with Class Restrictions. A close shave as investments in innovation should not be challenged.

But this weekend long we can enjoy the close racing!

image.png.0160be3bb14a19f7d4ee9915a1bd14a4.png

To say it again: Please stop talking about that ranking on the left. Their point of reference is the rumpline without counting int he north south spread. In other words it doesn´t mean anything

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Boris deploying a float. Interesting to see. 

Could be considered as deploying OFNIs for the ones behind ! :)

(and who knows whether this thing isn't some form of mine or something, with the Germans you never know ! ;) )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET1 said:

To say it again: Please stop talking about that ranking on the left. Their point of reference is the rumpline without counting int he north south spread. In other words it doesn´t mean anything

Yup.  It's all about the east west spread, and how that will play out with the weather systems.

The interesting thing to me is that Sam has moved over towards Charal without falling behind.  So I think she really has made up some ground (or Charal has lost some), which I didn't think was the case 12 hours ago.

40 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Could be considered as deploying OFNIs for the ones behind ! :)

Good point! The less junk left floating in the sea the better for those of us who go sailing!

20 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

So, I'd have thought Cali might have shown up a bit more competitive in this race. He has plenty of IMOCA60 experience - VG 3 times).

But he's sailing an older 2007 Owen Clarke deign (Ex Mike Golding's Ecover3 and Gamesa) which has retro-fitted foils (initial designs, possibly by, Nick Holroyd?).

Boat is a bit of an old warhorse I suppose by now, with a chequered history (4 dismastings and keel problems). Maybe, Arnaud just loves being part of the scene? Good on him.

At this point, Cali is kind of a known quantity. Every VG he did, he had a boat slightly better than the last time, but always from a prior generation. His current Mie Caline is from 2007, same generation as Isabelle's MACSF. He added foils too, but contrary to MACSF, they went for the smaller dali ones (very similar to Beyou's former Maitre Coq) instead of the giant bird wings. 

Is MACSF, as a VPLP boat, that much better? Is Isabelle a faster sailor, or just pushing harder? Maybe a bit of everything. For comparison,
MACSF: http://histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des 60'/A26.htm
Mie Caline: http://histoiredeshalfs.com/Histoire des 60'/E47.htm

One thing for sure, is that Cali is really damn good at bringing his boat home. Look at his racing history from the IMOCA website:

image.png.395fea6696a66b4320b46204c2c19ec6.png

15 races (including 3 VG and 4 JV), and only once he didn't finish.

His reliability paired with him being a local guy from Les Sables-d'Olonne made him quite attractive from some kind of sponsors I think, looking for a cheaper package, a good story and some local action around the Vendée area. 

I still wish he was a bit faster though :rolleyes:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, ronnie_simpson said:

She is due some good luck in the Vendee Globe, hope she gets it this go around. I think Isabelle Josschke could surprise a lot of people as well. Too bad Clarisse doesn't have a foiler. Sending her out on a boat with straight boards, as good as that boat is, just makes no sense to me. 

Clarisse will eat everyone's lunch in 2024.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, staysail said:

All very logical and mathematically understandable but from a commonsense point of view it is simply wrong and stupid to show this parameter as any kind of VMG. Presenting a parameter named Velocity Made Good over 24 hours which can be negative decreasing whilst a boat is actually sailing forwards in the intended racing direction is obvious madness and should not be done. Giancarlo has not on average been sailing backwards for the last 24 hours! People writing tracker software need to "get real". This is just bad, lazy work which is all too common in the IT and software industries. It would be a little more work to show a genuine 24 hr VMG but not rocket science.

Hey! That was uncalled for! :D:D:D

5 minutes ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

That kind of statement is bad juju. 

5 hours ago, ET1 said:

To say it again: Please stop talking about that ranking on the left.

I just smile and enjoy new blood learning offshore racing :)

• Like 3

Thomas again sneaked past Jeremy and Charlie... 3rd time now.

• Like 1

There should be a special prize for the sailor holding the lead most often.

I guess Boris didn't get much of a speed advantage by throwing that float overboard.

Amazing how close this race is!  Should be an extremely exciting second half!

1 hour ago, spennig said:

There should be a special prize for the sailor holding the lead most often.

There is. It's usually called 1st prize. ;-)

• Like 2

For that, you only need to hold the lead once.

Are we really looking to hand out trophies for not winning? Call it the Raymond Poulidor/Bouwe Bekking award?

Thomas won a nice watch for rounding the mark first. Who the leader is on the next mark will get some books ?

But damn, this is not a boring practice race.

2 minutes ago, LeoV said:

Thomas won a nice watch for rounding the mark first. Who the leader is on the next mark will get some books ?

But damn, this is not a boring practice race.

I think the imoca/event organizers should consider using a similar course for future events. 

Definitely more interesting than NY and saves each team at least $15k. 

• Like 1

You had an Around Europe race in the past, Whitbread and Vendee class. Worked as volunteer then in a port, was awesome.
Steinlager (IIRC) and Geodis.
If they can do it with long legs to different ports I am all in for it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I think the imoca/event organizers should consider using a similar course for future events. 

Definitely more interesting than NY and saves each team at least $15k. 

Definitely an interesting and exciting race, but I would have loved to see these boats  come ashore in New York!

Arnaud, in 14th, put 30 miles on the leaders in the last 4 hours. Should be in the lead by tomorrow. Unless Pedote wants to win this thing and jibes to the pressure. 

1 minute ago, CaptainGigi said:

Why does it always have to be about U.S.?

I have no idea what you're talking about or what your question means.  I live in New York, so I could have easily seen the boats if they raced here.  I wasn't making a comment that suggested that I think ALL IMOCA races should end in the US. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile Hugo Boss is back in Falmouth from Portuguese coast. 

• Like 1

Considering he’s done with his miles now and Armel and Sebastian aren’t... seems like it was a smart choice for the guy that lost the keel and mast or got rammed by a fishing boat before VG...

• Like 3

Kinda looks to me like a near restart into a tight beat followed by ghosting through another hole after the last waypoint.  Whoever best crosses that high wins. Similar to the very end of a tightly contested Vendee Globe. Good practice for the boats that can survive to be in contention for the endgame.

49 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Meanwhile Hugo Boss is back in Falmouth from Portuguese coast. 

That's one sassy looking ride. Can't wait to see Alex take his place on the VG start line, in 120 days time.

What's HB doing in Falmouth ? Isn't their base in Gosport ?

12 minutes ago, Essex said:

What's HB doing in Falmouth ? Isn't their base in Gosport ?

Hugo Boss took a sail down to the Portuguese coast and back north. 

Apivia looks to be well placed or the westerly wind with current SOG 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Hugo Boss took a sail down to the Portuguese coast and back north. 

Apparently the sardinhas assadas is pretty good, this time of year. ;-)

39 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Apivia looks to be well placed or the westerly wind with current SOG 

Yep. He's into the new breeze first.

Screen Shot 2020-07-11 at 1.30.10 PM.png

Untitled.thumb.jpg.a65ff382b3ece2b36ec63cdde0e40bca.jpg

given the above LinkedOut is lookin good .

There's no easy way to the Azores looking at the weather. This looks a race of Angles all the way to the Azores? Anyone's guess who will get there 1st?

They’re not going to the Azores. Waypoint was shifted. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

they're trying to get to where the green circle is ...

Untitled.thumb.jpg.bb083ebd736cd1674f28e79c61647a6f.jpg

Edited by Mid
before the 'pellin nazi's hit ...

36 minutes ago, Miffy said:

They’re not going to the Azores. Waypoint was shifted. 

Cheers that makes sense. I thought I'd seen something pop up in French about a Waypoint. That explains the VMG's I was seeing too

The 3 new foilers starting to show their speed edge. It's a real race between these 3 and with the weather a real guess as to who comes out on top? 

14 hours ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

I do not disagree with you. My only guess is that BP is having her go around in a non foiler for a lap, and then will build her a new boat and let her work up to the next VG. In that scenario, she would likely be extremely competitive, barring breakage. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Virgulino Ferreira said:

Except Sam's!

From Facebook:

Update Day 8. 11.07: At 07.25 utc Boris Herrmann on Seaexplorer - Yacht Club de Monaco had an issue onboard. The main headboard car broke and the main came down. Boris is fine and needs no assistance but he will be slower for the rest of the race. He has secured everything and at the moment is still sailing with the head sail and a much smaller main. He is trying to fix the issue with spares we have on board and he aims to continue the race but he will be much slower. The race management has been notified and are monitoring the situation.

• Like 3

Broken boom on MACSF

No collateral damages, boat keeps sailing towards guallimard waypoint

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gelbrossi said:

From Facebook:

Update Day 8. 11.07: At 07.25 utc Boris Herrmann on Seaexplorer - Yacht Club de Monaco had an issue onboard. The main headboard car broke and the main came down. Boris is fine and needs no assistance but he will be slower for the rest of the race. He has secured everything and at the moment is still sailing with the head sail and a much smaller main. He is trying to fix the issue with spares we have on board and he aims to continue the race but he will be much slower. The race management has been notified and are monitoring the situation.

Boris has had a great race IMO. Sad to hear about this. 

• Like 2

Charal Linkedout and Apivia have all gybed over and have a good angle.  Let's see if they can cross PRB who is leading according to the tracker. It's been a real race between the 3 new boats but fantastic to see all the older boats so competitive. It's going to be a big Vendee...! 

• Like 1

Kevin called to offer some help and technical advice, Boris finds it very good spirit.

IIRC Kevin is used to spend quite some time fixing stuff on masts with his VOR experience !

• Like 1

She shows the boom at the end, happened with one reef and J3 landing from a wave.

She continues the race for the time being (normally she needs to finish it for the VG)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, yl75 said:

She shows the boom at the end, happened with one reef and J3 landing from a wave.

She continues the race for the time being (normally she needs to finish it for the VG)

I was surprised by how much of the side of the boom was cutaway.  I can understand wanting access to the lines inside the boom for access/repair, but I wonder if having that long of a cutaway made the boom vulnerable. 

• Like 1

Despite her last name, Isabelle is ALSO French. So I guess you ALSO meant:

MERDE !!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OPAL said:

Boris @ 17.3kts, cant be too bad!

Now 20 Knots so I'm guessing he got some mainsail back up?

Yes, he seems to have put "something" together.

Shame about Isabelle, she really sent it for quite a good time, must be shattered.

With a full sail and the right wind angle it should be ok. As always use the track system to keep the clew in position. It becomes a lot more "fun" when reefed since there is no longer a convenient place to store the sail.

Anyway, no real choice for her but to continue.

Yah she needs to complete her qualifications - tho hopefully not at the cost of destroying the mainsail.