Sailbydate

Vendée – Arctique – Les Sables d’Olonne race.

Looking forward to this IMOCA60 race in a few weeks.

Excellent summary by, ED on the front page to kick this thing off. Shame Hugo Boss and Corum are non-starters.

Any predictions?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Excellent summary by, ED on the front page to kick this thing off. Shame Hugo Boss and Corum are non-starters.

Any predictions?

Charal. 

What front page?

Need a fix too! Can't wait.

Credit properly due to RS for the FP piece, please. Thanks Ronnie.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Any predictions?

Yeah not sure about Hugo Boss's decision not to enter? Gives them time to do other things but they won't know how they'll go against other boats and it's a reflection on their very late campaign in terms of time. Damage and Covid have combined to really put a dint in Alex's campaign IMO. I think Alex will be up against it to get a podium this time around in what will surely be his last Vendee?

Don't forget it isn't a one design race - you're optimizing your own boat and those participating general data will be practically open for all to record.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Don't forget it isn't a one design race - you're optimizing your own boat and those participating general data will be practically open for all to record.

So are you saying this is one of the reasons Boss not doing the race? So others can't copy your development/speed? Personally I think speed is 50% of the race and reliability the other 50%. Foil design is where the gains are now so boats with V2 should be better placed IMO. Anyway look forward to seeing this race and how some of the boats go?

There's nothing to copy - the limitations are baked in at this point, you can't magically fix a fundamental defect or design compromise - what you can do is make more gains running a disciplined development program & continuously tinkering with systems/sail/foil-keel adjustments. Hugo Boss had no opportunity to get a proper workup since TJV - they probably need as much program driven development as ever. 

Did Thompson even have a choice?  Is France accepting Brits into the country? 

22 hours ago, rico said:

Need a fix too! Can't wait.

Credit properly due to RS for the FP piece, please. Thanks Ronnie.

Quite right, Rico. I incorrectly assumed the piece was written by, ED. 

Apologies to Ronnie Simpson. Nice job. Thank you.

On 6/13/2020 at 1:20 PM, terrafirma said:

Yeah not sure about Hugo Boss's decision not to enter? Gives them time to do other things but they won't know how they'll go against other boats and it's a reflection on their very late campaign in terms of time. Damage and Covid have combined to really put a dint in Alex's campaign IMO. I think Alex will be up against it to get a podium this time around in what will surely be his last Vendee?

Probably has another sponsor stunt to perform, far more important than getting sea miles and knowledge of the boats performance. 

7 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Did Thompson even have a choice?  Is France accepting Brits into the country? 

For this, yes. And for EU citizens tomorrow.

AT is respected in French sailing circles, and some admire his sill of hooking a good sponsor outside France.
And a non Frenchy is very welcome. There are French sailors that do it their own way too. Not all train together.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Probably has another sponsor stunt to perform, far more important than getting sea miles and knowledge of the boats performance. 

Yes Hugo Boss bigger than the Arctic Race itself...! :D

Yes read that Mid but what percentage of that spin is true and what part bullshit? Anyway it doesn't matter if they win the Vendee. If they don't win or get a podium they face an uncertain future unless they have already targeted an up and coming skipper? Can't wait...

unnecessary risk 

given Alex is far from adverse to risk , it rings true for me .

10 hours ago, Mid said:

unnecessary risk 

given Alex is far from adverse to risk , it rings true for me .

It's spin. 100% spin. 

Alex trains on his own - it's what he's always done, it's the way he'll always do it. 

It's easier to give an excuse than explain the motivation behind why to the media. It's not as prestigious a race with media & sponsors as say the Transat or Route du Rhum, so there isn't a gain in doing it, especially when his boat has just spent a serious spell in the menders. 

The "unnecessary risk" is just the same as there would be in any other race.

On 6/13/2020 at 4:20 AM, terrafirma said:

+1 on Corum not entering. 

Really interested to see how she stacks up. 

31 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

The "unnecessary risk" is just the same as there would be in any other race.

further North than Cape Horn is South .

6 minutes ago, Mid said:

And if my Aunty had balls she'd be my uncle? 

London is further North than Toronto, where gets more snow? 

If there really was a ton of unnecessary risk associated with this race, no one would show up. 

There's nothing wrong with Alex's approach, I just think his team aren't revealing that he isn't doing this race because it doesn't suit him. There's nothing wrong with that either. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mid said:

Fuck all snow and ice though in Summer, right?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Icedtea said:

he isn't doing this race because it doesn't suit him.

that's exactly what I read them saying :)

On 6/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, Icedtea said:

And if my Aunty had balls she'd be my uncle? 

London is further North than Toronto, where gets more snow? 

If there really was a ton of unnecessary risk associated with this race, no one would show up. 

There's nothing wrong with Alex's approach, I just think his team aren't revealing that he isn't doing this race because it doesn't suit him. There's nothing wrong with that either. 

In my observations of Alex and his team over time, they do their own thing. Even on the race course we see Alex off on his own in comparison to the fleet. Sailing a different course, on a flyer. Here they are doing their own thing again. Would have been a great test for the all new enclosed cockpit he would have been nice and snug. Certainly ATR come across as "ELITE" and perhaps they are? Perhaps they are not? We'll see come race day...I think Alex know this is his last hurrah.....................................

CockpitATR.jpg

VENDÉE-ARCTIQUE-LES SABLES D’OLONNE: ALL TO PLAY FOR!

6/24/20 
RACE

"Designed for those sailors rekindling their ties with competition and life offshore, or qualifying for… and possibly winning the Vendée Globe, there is a great deal at stake for the sailors setting sail on the Vendée-Arctique-Les Sables d’Olonne, on 4 July at 15:30hrs local time. This first edition of this race, which has been organised as a replacement for the New York-Vendée-Les Sables d’Olonne originally due to set off on 16 June, is a key stage for the skippers preparing for the solo round the world race, which will set sail on 8 November. This demanding and attractive sprint up to Iceland and down to the Azores is also a source of great inspiration in what is a very special context. In fact, the race is one of the first sports events to take up again after the lockdown and everyone has had to adapt accordingly. 

17 of the 21 solo sailors will be free of any obligations to qualify, meaning they can put pedal to the metal on their IMOCAs. Perched on the latest generation monohulls, Jérémie Beyou (Charal), Charlie Dalin (Apivia) and Thomas Ruyant (LindkedOut) rank among the natural race favourites. “There is a start line and a finish line so inevitably that gets you a bit riled” jokes Jérémie Beyou. “To pull a solid result out of the bag would be a good thing because it would reward the efforts of everyone involved. We’re looking to find out how we fare in relation to the others and if our choices were the right ones. If need be, we also have a little book where we’ve already noted the modifications to be made to the boat over the course of the summer.” Winner of the Transat Jacques Vabre 2019 in Apivia’s first official race, with Yann Eliès, Charlie Dalin explains his trajectory: “The Vendée-Arctique-Les Sables d'Olonne will be an intermediate test stage, a kind of mock exam prior to the Vendée Globe. Above all, it will be a chance for me to get back to the competition, which is something I miss! I’m really keep to rediscover the special taste of an on-the-water clash!” 

https://www.imoca.org/en/news/news/vendee-arctique-les-sables-d-olonne-all-to-play-for-

Pics by © ©Eloi Stichelbaut - polaRYSE / IMOCA

Good example of the reaching struts in action in 2nd pic.

200619_es_polaryse_imoca_0464.jpeg

200619_es_polaryse_imoca_1548.jpeg

• Like 4

Anyone know whose tracking they will use for this race and if there will be an online live video of the start?

12 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

Anyone know whose tracking they will use for this race and if there will be an online live video of the start?

I assume as its an IMOCA only event it'll be a rebranded Geovoile the same as the VG?

4 days and they're off - Les Sables-d'Olonne, Iceland, the Azores and back to Les Sables-d'Olonne, a distance of 3,566nm. I suppose the midnight sun this time of year will take some getting used to, when they get up to the higher latitudes around Iceland.

Temperature in Reykjavick today was a balmy 11 degrees celsius (21 degrees celsius in Ponta Delgada by comparison). 

Should be a very interesting race.

• Like 1

What’s the odds of the back markers playing “I can go further north than you”.  Just so they can claim to have sailed to a higher latitude than any other IMOCA 60 ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

What’s the odds of the back markers playing “I can go further north than you”.  Just so they can claim to have sailed to a higher latitude than any other IMOCA 60 ever.

Isn't Svalbard Iceland? The worst routing in IMOCA ever ^^ Depending on the wind direction and drifting ice, this could be feasible pretty safely on the ice front at least. Could provide for stunning drone shots with belugas. Not sure boat builders will be as enthusiast as I am.

The International Ice Patrol does a fine soup monitoring the ice situation in the North Atlantic and there’s far more surveillance as well as SAR assets around Iceland than most of the oceans of the world. 

2 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

What’s the odds of the back markers playing “I can go further north than you”.  Just so they can claim to have sailed to a higher latitude than any other IMOCA 60ever.

I think this "IMOCA 60" (I think it conforms to IMOCA) plans to go further north http://www.ant-arctic-lab.com/

Open60AAL_Innovation_Yachts_Sailing_drone_1600.jpg

• Like 1

From what many of the skippers are saying in the media this going to be about reliability, testing settings and sails and in several cases confirming their VG qualifying requirements much more than winning. In short, finish the race and don't break much. It will still be interesting to see who pushes hard and still should be a good race. 

I assume that the tracker will appear somewhere on the following link in the next few days. 

https://www.imoca.org/en/races/imoca-globe-series/vendee-arctique-les-sables-d-olonne

Credits G Lebec / Charal. M Viezzer. Apivia 

FB_IMG_1593553636924.jpg

FB_IMG_1593553705567.jpg

FB_IMG_1593554027367.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jb5 said:

From what many of the skippers are saying in the media this going to be about reliability, testing settings and sails and in several cases confirming their VG qualifying requirements much more than winning. In short, finish the race and don't break much. It will still be interesting to see who pushes hard and still should be a good race. 

Hard call, break something now and you have some chance to fix it before the Vendee, break it a week into the vendee because you've been "protecting it" and you're done.  It is the same problem a certain Kiwi team had in 2003 where they learnt very quickly they hadn't pushed their boat hard enough in training.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SCARECROW said:

Hard call, break something now and you have some chance to fix it before the Vendee, break it a week into the vendee because you've been "protecting it" and you're done.  It is the same problem a certain Kiwi team had in 2003 where they learnt very quickly they hadn't pushed their boat hard enough in training.

Yep. That old blue bucket would have been of fuck all use off the Kerguelan Islands.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Yep. That old blue bucket would have been of fuck all use off the Kerguelan Islands.

It was fuck all use off Rangitoto

• Like 2

1 CLICK = 1 METRE OF CABLE IN THE VENDÉE ARCTIQUE LES SABLES D’OLONNES

Throughout July and the Vendée Arctique Les Sables d’Olonne race, all the posts on Facebook and Instagram will enable metres of cable to be collected.
To achieve this, each time someone hits ‘Like’ on a message sent via the “Prysmian Ocean Racing” project’s social networks, Prysmian Group will undertake to give 1m of cable to the Électriciens sans frontières' volunteers, who are working on the renovation of Dominica’s health centres.

https://www.imoca.org/en/news/news/1-click-1-metre-of-cable-in-the-vendee-arctique-les-sables-d-olonnes

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JonRowe said:

I assume as its an IMOCA only event it'll be a rebranded Geovoile the same as the VG?

Yes it will be geovoile, link already there :

http://vendeearctique.geovoile.com/2020/tracker/

Note : it is not decided yet which way around the race course will be (clockwise or counter clockwise)

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jb5 said:

I assume that the tracker will appear somewhere on the following link in the next few days. 

https://www.imoca.org/en/races/imoca-globe-series/vendee-arctique-les-sables-d-olonne

Credits G Lebec / Charal. M Viezzer. Apivia 

FB_IMG_1593553636924.jpg

FB_IMG_1593553705567.jpg

FB_IMG_1593554027367.jpg

By reliability testing they wouldn't be meaning major breakages such as foils, hulls and mast's etc. More like fittings, sail systems, electronics, auto pilots, steering mechanism's etc. They are all fixable in a short time frame. Got to remember if any of the above fail your chances at winning the Vendee are limited. The boat needs to work as planned and everything prior to that is theory. Following theory comes the Practical. 

Not long to go now the 4 newest boats will be keen to see how they stack up against each other. 

Charal, Apivia, Arkea-Paprec and L"Occitane . This is a great mix as we have 4 different approaches starting with a total VPLP design in Charal, then a Guillaume Verdier design who also works with VPLP. Then a Juan K and a Sam Manuard design. Of course the time on the water and experience between these teams varies so that will be a major factor. 

Can't wait.

• Like 1

Ruyant’s LinkedOut was designed by Guillaume Verdier with input from Antoine Koch and Ruyant is the dark horse I want to see succeed. He mad a huge gamble to get the boat started, worked on it himself, boat is owned by small regional backers from native community. No big bank/VC money there. 

Also like to see how Corum and PRB compare. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Miffy said:

Ruyant’s LinkedOut was designed by Guillaume Verdier with input from Antoine Koch and Ruyant is the dark horse I want to see succeed. He mad a huge gamble to get the boat started, worked on it himself, boat is owned by small regional backers from native community. No big bank/VC money there. 

Also like to see how Corum and PRB compare. 

Sweet boat he should do well.! 

https://www.scanvoile.com/2020/07/jacques-caraes-vendee-arctique-route-nord.html#.Xv3GFfrYqbg

The route is decided.

Leaving Les Sables d'Olonne at 3.30 p.m and heading towards the OC-UNESCO buoy located at 62 ° North 25 ° West. After having rounded it the skippers will descend to the Azores before returning to Sables d'Olonne, a triangle of 3,566 theoretical miles. The presence of a depression in the west of Iceland promises a good test in the first part of the race.

Jacques Caraës, race director - "We chose the north route to take advantage of the visibility given by the weather and ice maps. If we had turned the other way, starting with the Azores, we would not have had this visibility on the weather in the northernmost area. By opting for course n ° 1, we know that the fastest boats will face more wind, of course, but they will also have the possibility of avoiding the worst weather. The slower boats will be spared the more tough conditions. But anyway, I think the conditions remain manageable for boats and sailors who are engaged in preparation for the Vendée Globe. "

To avoid the routing options leading them as close as possible to the coast, the race direction requires leaving the majority of the traffic separation zones to starboard on the outward journey, and to port to the return.

• Like 1

Alan Roura is not starting the race as he and his wife are expecting a baby around the 15th.

Just checked what happened to Andrea Mura's, 2015 IMOCA 60, Vento di Sardegna - renamed, No Way Back, when sold to  Pieter Heerema, who took her on a seemingly leisurely cruise, for the last go around. She's now Newrest-Art & Fenêtres, skippered by Fabrice Amedeo. She'll start in the Arctique Race tomorrow.

Looks like a pretty good boat, but still with V1 foils.

191001amd_2jml1177.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Just checked what happened to Andrea Mura's, 2015 IMOCA 60, Vento di Sardegna - renamed, No Way Back, when sold to  Pieter Heerema, who took her on a seemingly leisurely cruise, for the last go around. She's now Newrest-Art & Fenêtres, skippered by Fabrice Amedeo. She'll start in the Arctique Race tomorrow.

Looks like a pretty good boat, but still with V1 foils.

191001amd_2jml1177.jpeg

Still always interesting to see an older boat with older foils goes in comparison to the new gen boats. If the weather supplies everything especially foiling conditions we can then compare performances across the boat range. 

These things seem pretty painful to be on board though, here's some onboard footage of practice:

• Like 1

MACSF used to be Marc Guillemot’s Safran... from ~2007. Marc helped Yann Elies when he lost his keel  

then later sailed together on her  

Then Yann Eliès took over the boat. 
Yann and Charlie Dalin then sailed on her together. 

First of the non-foilers in 2016-2017 VG. 

Now she’s got foils, rebuilt after a hard grounding at start of TJV. I can’t think of another boat that has this much history and rebuilds. 

Is the course port roundings? ie anticlockwise. If so there could be a bit of upwind sailing early on, who is best at that in the fleet?

44 minutes ago, Rainbow Spirit said:

Is the course port roundings? ie anticlockwise. If so there could be a bit of upwind sailing early on, who is best at that in the fleet?

The daggerboard (non-foiler) IMOCA 60's are relatively handy upwind. Maybe the best of those, Clarisse Crémer's, Banque Populaire 10.

If its light and on the nose, they'd have legs against the new foilers...maybe, at least until sheets got cracked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

The daggerboard (non-foiler) IMOCA 60's are relatively handy upwind. Maybe the best of those, Clarisse Crémer's, Banque Populaire 10.

If its light and on the nose, they'd have legs against the new foilers...maybe, at least until sheets got cracked.

Agree with Sailbydate, and general logic is that the board in the water limits the drift and improve VMG when sailing upwind. Might cause some issues for the boat with foils close to the surface (like Apivia), and we could see some difference between the foilers as well. Expect the daggerboard (non foiler) to hold a tighter course, and foilers to open up to the wind and try to compensate with higher speed. The daggerboard advantage should be bigger if the wind is lighter (as foilers have to chose between more drift or more drag).

• Like 1

https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft/n219-qui-va-gagner-la-vende-arctique-les-sables-dolonne-thierry-bouvard-un-sponsor-doit-tre-fidle-et-ractif?e=9a497c6fa7

The experts podium: 1. Jérémie Beyou, 2. Charlie Dalin, 3. Thomas Ruyant

Panel Yann Eliès, Charlie Enright & Gaël Robic (journalist for France TV), Antoine Mermod , president of Imoca, Tanguy Leglatin, trainer in Lorient, Christian Le Pape, head of the Pole Finistère

Concerning Alex Thomson's  non-participation, "an unnecessary risk, so close to the Vendée Globe, to take the boats further north than Cape Horn is south " . Yann Eliès : "Of course, to qualify the guys you have to expose them, but I don't see the point of sending them to Iceland , it's too far, if there are big technical problems, it's a complicated area. "

Yann Eliès like almost all six on the panel has three skippers ahead  : Jérémie Beyou, Charlie Dalin and Thomas Ruyant, the first to win ahead of Apivia . "These are the new boats that have sailed the most, they are proven with skippers who know them well"

Tanguy Leglatin, "most skippers need to finish the race to have hours of navigation, few are in a position to really attack except those who like Charlie and Jérémie, have the technical margin, the structure and the preparation to really be released psychologically . " He adds that Charal was placed three times out of six at the top of the podium by the panel: " He is the one who has sailed the most on his boat and even if he has a new version of foils that he still has to learn to put on point, a lot of things are now well integrated in the use of the boat, Jérémie is still a small step ahead."

Charlie Enright, " Charal is the most consistent since it was launched last year and Apivia will not yet be 100% due to the delay of the new foils."

Christian Le Pape: " Today Jérémie is the only one who ticks all the boxes of the potential and knowledge of the boat, the experience of competition and solo sailing. Charlie has never sailed solo in Imoca."

Gaël Robic, who sailed on Apivia during the last course in Port-la-Forêt noted, "It may not be the fastest boat, but it is the most homogeneous and the most successful in terms of reliability / performance . And Charlie is getting to know the boat really well, the maneuvers are fluid, clean, it's beautiful to see."  Concerning Thomas Ruyant's performance at Port-la-Forêt  : " It was really easy, far enough ahead whatever the conditions....he is almost the only one who says that he is coming to win the Vendée-Arctique."

Behind the big 3 the experts backed Arkéa-Paprec , L'Occitane and DMG Mori Global One with the first two unlikely to be pushing for the win due to recent changes (foils and repairs).

Concerning the new foils of AP- Yann Eliès : " I think he made the right choice, that's exactly what I would have done, I would have played the downwind card ...because I was impressed by the performances of Alex Thomson at the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre."

For PRB, Initiatives Cœur, MACSF

Christian Le Pape "In case of breakage, they can aim for the podium, but otherwise, there is no photo "

Gaël Robic: Against the new boats..."they cannot win. I sailed with Kevin Escoffier (PRB), you can do everything cleanly, be at 100% of the boat's potential, you see the new foilers leaving, we has really moved into another dimension. "  The PRB skipper said "In 2019, we were still able to follow now it becomes more complicated but we have nevertheless gained a few percent with the modifications made on the boat."

Tanguy Leglatin- "Kevin has less solo experience, but he has sailed a lot to prepare for solo sailing, he has experience of strong winds, big boats, technique, he ticks a lot of boxes." "Sam Davies (IC) is a step up from his level of experience.

Antoine Mermod " Sam is starting to have a real maturity with her boat and the big choices that were made last year, we can imagine that she will keep this lead compared to for example Boris who has sailed less."

• Like 3

Does anyone know if the start will be live on the internet ?

11 minutes ago, V21 said:

3.30pm local is the start time with live coverage from 3.15pm to 4.10pm.

Live streaming will be available on www.ScanVoile.com they say and it will also have some local TV coverage if you can access it.  Its probably going to be on other web sites as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jb5 said:

https://mailchi.mp/tipandshaft/n219-qui-va-gagner-la-vende-arctique-les-sables-dolonne-thierry-bouvard-un-sponsor-doit-tre-fidle-et-ractif?e=9a497c6fa7

The experts podium: 1. Jérémie Beyou, 2. Charlie Dalin, 3. Thomas Ruyant

Panel Yann Eliès, Charlie Enright & Gaël Robic (journalist for France TV), Antoine Mermod , president of Imoca, Tanguy Leglatin, trainer in Lorient, Christian Le Pape, head of the Pole Finistère

Concerning Alex Thomson's  non-participation, "an unnecessary risk, so close to the Vendée Globe, to take the boats further north than Cape Horn is south " . Yann Eliès : "Of course, to qualify the guys you have to expose them, but I don't see the point of sending them to Iceland , it's too far, if there are big technical problems, it's a complicated area. "

Yann Eliès like almost all six on the panel has three skippers ahead  : Jérémie Beyou, Charlie Dalin and Thomas Ruyant, the first to win ahead of Apivia . "These are the new boats that have sailed the most, they are proven with skippers who know them well"

Tanguy Leglatin, "most skippers need to finish the race to have hours of navigation, few are in a position to really attack except those who like Charlie and Jérémie, have the technical margin, the structure and the preparation to really be released psychologically . " He adds that Charal was placed three times out of six at the top of the podium by the panel: " He is the one who has sailed the most on his boat and even if he has a new version of foils that he still has to learn to put on point, a lot of things are now well integrated in the use of the boat, Jérémie is still a small step ahead."

Charlie Enright, " Charal is the most consistent since it was launched last year and Apivia will not yet be 100% due to the delay of the new foils."

Christian Le Pape: " Today Jérémie is the only one who ticks all the boxes of the potential and knowledge of the boat, the experience of competition and solo sailing. Charlie has never sailed solo in Imoca."

Gaël Robic, who sailed on Apivia during the last course in Port-la-Forêt noted, "It may not be the fastest boat, but it is the most homogeneous and the most successful in terms of reliability / performance . And Charlie is getting to know the boat really well, the maneuvers are fluid, clean, it's beautiful to see."  Concerning Thomas Ruyant's performance at Port-la-Forêt  : " It was really easy, far enough ahead whatever the conditions....he is almost the only one who says that he is coming to win the Vendée-Arctique."

Behind the big 3 the experts backed Arkéa-Paprec , L'Occitane and DMG Mori Global One with the first two unlikely to be pushing for the win due to recent changes (foils and repairs).

Concerning the new foils of AP- Yann Eliès : " I think he made the right choice, that's exactly what I would have done, I would have played the downwind card ...because I was impressed by the performances of Alex Thomson at the start of the Transat Jacques Vabre."

For PRB, Initiatives Cœur, MACSF

Christian Le Pape "In case of breakage, they can aim for the podium, but otherwise, there is no photo "

Gaël Robic: Against the new boats..."they cannot win. I sailed with Kevin Escoffier (PRB), you can do everything cleanly, be at 100% of the boat's potential, you see the new foilers leaving, we has really moved into another dimension. "  The PRB skipper said "In 2019, we were still able to follow now it becomes more complicated but we have nevertheless gained a few percent with the modifications made on the boat."

Tanguy Leglatin- "Kevin has less solo experience, but he has sailed a lot to prepare for solo sailing, he has experience of strong winds, big boats, technique, he ticks a lot of boxes." "Sam Davies (IC) is a step up from his level of experience.

Antoine Mermod " Sam is starting to have a real maturity with her boat and the big choices that were made last year, we can imagine that she will keep this lead compared to for example Boris who has sailed less."

So the panel don't think much of, Corum's chances?

Heading to Les Stables at speed 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sailbydate said:

So the panel don't think much of, Corum's chances?

Corum is skipping this race no? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jb5 said:

Corum is skipping this race no? 

OK. That'll be the reason. ;-)

• Like 1

So, IIRC the course has now changed. No longer sailing around Iceland and the Azores, but to waypoints before each of the island groups.

13 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

So, IIRC the course has now changed. No longer sailing around Iceland and the Azores, but to waypoints before each of the island groups.

Going around Iceland would be nuts. A lot of unpredictable wind shadows - more like a multiple day anchor in an anchorage and wait for a nice weather window before the next kind of cruising ground. 

I think there is ocean buoy south of Iceland they round and a waypoint off the Azores

9 hours ago, V21 said:

I'd check the Facebook page as well. Is there is a live stream Facebook would have it IMO. 

1 hour ago, trt131 said:

I think there is ocean buoy south of Iceland they round and a waypoint off the Azores

Yep and it looks to be a long way South too. (According to the race course map if that's accurate)

• Like 1

Imagine the anguish if one were not allowed to start because they unfortunately tested covid positive. 

The start will be broadcast live on the IMOCA website, the IMOCA globe series Facebook and also the IMOCA globe series youtube channel. The links are already all up on the respective sites. 

Eagerly awaiting the start, which is at 1:15 in the morning here in Fiji!

Does anyone have any info on why Charlie Dalin's boat, APIVIA, is still sitting in port? Perhaps the tracker is turned off, or an error, or it's coming down in a car. 

I certainly hope he is on the start line, he is surely one of the favorites for this race as well as the VG.

32 minutes ago, ronnie_simpson said:

Does anyone have any info on why Charlie Dalin's boat, APIVIA, is still sitting in port? Perhaps the tracker is turned off, or an error, or it's coming down in a car. 

I certainly hope he is on the start line, he is surely one of the favorites for this race as well as the VG.

Yes I guess/hope he isn't registered on the tracker yet or something, everything seems fine from his last tweet :

• Like 1