Sign in to follow this  
Alan H

Blusail 24

I remember the SA review a number of years ago. I thought they looked like fun, but seems like not very many made it to the US.  Anybody know where some of them are?

Come on... in the 24' range, has there ever been a better design than the, what, 27 year old designed,  melges 24? Which, btw, can be now had for reasonable prices. Why look elsewhere, unless you want the latest in foiling innovations. 

I was just asking.  I always liked the design, AND it actually has room down below to put a cooler, and sleep in.

Also, I like keels that are attached to the boat with bolts, even though my current boat has a daggerboard.  Not dissing the M-24, but it's a different critter.

No worries,  I too liked the blusail when I think it was sailing world reviewed it, but no word in the US since. Never happened here. Seascapes (now bene), or the other 27 yo designed J80 might be good alternatives.  Had an 80 when the kids were little. Great for camping. Extra thick 4" foam cushions up front for me, 3" quarter berth cushions for the kids, who usually moved them to the cockpit under a makeshift boom tent. Lots of great memories with that bost.

Then there is the ubiquitous j24

I looked at the blusail in 2005, there was one in upstate new york. Ended up going with the Elliott 770. Sure, the melges is cool but you could overnight on the Elliott.

2 in the Vancouver BC area, red one is in Gibsons and the white one in deep cove.

I assume the weather was different when they left the marina in the morning . Look like cool boats 

There was one in Annapolis when they first came out. I got to sail in it in a non-spin frostbite race. Can’t recall the good or bad. That was many years ago. 

It's been ten--plus years, come to find out since the review here. Damn...time flies when you get old.

On 6/16/2020 at 5:23 PM, Alan H said:

I remember the SA review a number of years ago. I thought they looked like fun, but seems like not very many made it to the US.  Anybody know where some of them are?

I seem to remember seeing one for sale in the gulf coast/panhandle classifieds a few years ago, not sure where it ended up so probably not much help.  Interesting looking boat though.

I'm not looking to buy one.

Well, I take that back. If I could get it for $5k maybe I would.  But honestly, I already own my "next boat", which is the 1958 edition of the same general idea.  ---24 foot performance racer/daysailer.

Cove-Regatta-2011-053-X2.jpg

I just bought one that was raced a bit in the north Florida, gulf area. It is getting a spit polish now and I hope to splash her soon.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 8:50 AM, @last said:

I seem to remember seeing one for sale in the gulf coast/panhandle classifieds a few years ago, not sure where it ended up so probably not much help.  Interesting looking boat though.

That is the one I just purchased from SA member Sail91.

On 6/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, Alan H said:

I'm not looking to buy one.

Well, I take that back. If I could get it for $5k maybe I would.  But honestly, I already own my "next boat", which is the 1958 edition of the same general idea.  ---24 foot performance racer/daysailer.

Cove-Regatta-2011-053-X2.jpg

Interesting looking boat, what is it?  Kind of Nefertiti looking transom.

1 hour ago, Captain Bastard said:

That is the one I just purchased from SA member Sail91.

Cool,  congrats!  Feel free to post a few pics and your impressions of the boat as they are pretty rare here in the states as noted previously.

I have a Blusail. Boat is in Oyster Bay LI. I sail with a squaretop which helped in the the light breeze. No issues with the boat, nice build. Rates 123 on Long Island sound.

• Like 1

Yeah, they were built in Sandbank, on the Clyde Estuary between about 1968 and 1973.  58 of them.  The designer is David Boyd, who did the British A-Cup 12 meter challengers in the early 60'.  Pipers...think "six meter only smaller".   I have one of seven that were exported to North America. Of those 7, 2 are still floating...well...mine isn't floating yet, but there aren't holes in her, she'll float soon. They're really pretty...

but way, way different from a Blusail 24!