Sign in to follow this  
bgytr

fenders

The gunwale fender topic got me thinking about regular fenders.

Have any folks used inflatable fenders?  The bulk of adequate sized standard fenders is a nuisance for stowage, and I'm not a fan of fenders stowed on deck.  I haven't really seen any inflatable fenders I'm wild about online, just curious what others do.

I have Aere brand, bought used. I like them. They survived a beating in a derecho at Dauphin Island Race 2015. They are covered, I cover all fenders. I do use conventional fenders for longer term berthing but they stay on the dock or in storage when I go.

Yeah, we had one aboard. Not as durable but tons lighter and of course easy to stow. It was the BIG ASS FENDER you could deploy if you were expecting a blow.

Round fenders A- whatever size are actually fairly easy to inflate and deflate and they stow pretty compact. A bicycle pump with a needle valve works fine.  Wouldn't want to do everyday but to stow for a passage or extended time away from the dock is fine.  Of you ever get stuck in a high surge marina they are the only way to go.

We used them extensively. But on racing boats, so only for the duration of regattas. Also only on boats upto about 35 foot, and lightweight 35 footers. How do they work on big heavy boats? What are the limits?  lasted for ages, moved from boat to boat as the owner traded up.

Pumped up and down really fast with a dinghy pump, but we just let them inflated.

They make them up to superyacht size with corresponding prices.

YachtFenderswFenderHooks_1800x1800.jpg?v

I have Fenders, but mostly play Gibsons.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

I have Fenders, but mostly play Gibsons.

Badabump....tssssh.

Today while on my inflatable paddleboard I saw fenders just like in Elugua's pic on a superyaucht. The difference was they were being used to keep the boat off the ROOF of the building at the end of the fuel dock. Imaginge having a floating edifice so big it represents a risk to buildings.

This type of fender is getting more popular round here,  no it doesn't deflate,  but it does stack away easier. 

plastimo-flat-type-100.jpg

just leave 'em in stiu ...

High performance marine fenders - Trelleborg Marine and Infrastructure

1 hour ago, The Q said:

This type of fender is getting more popular round here,  no it doesn't deflate,  but it does stack away easier. 

I've used those, invincible, but fuck me do they seem to take up a lot of space. They always seem heavy, but I'm not sure they really are.

Best thing is that they stay where they're put. They don't roll away or pop out under pressure. Considering their positives my hatred of them seems completely irrational.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Q said:

Tried 'em on a previous boat when beam in our slip was limited.  Nice to handle and easy to store, but they lift up (don't roll) when they come in contact with a dock or another boat, and we found they have very limited shock absorbtion in lumpy conditions.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Oh, great topic. Following.

I bought a bunch of bigass 0.5m radius fenders with my 14m boat. Too frigging big for every hatch of course, so the previous owner always carried them on the trampolines. 

I would love to replace them.

Paul

4 hours ago, CriticalPath said:

Tried 'em on a previous boat when beam in our slip was limited.  Nice to handle and easy to store, but they lift up (don't roll) when they come in contact with a dock or another boat, and we found they have very limited shock absorbtion in lumpy conditions.

Cheers!

I’ll second this; had em on an F27 trimaran and they spat out instead of rolling with the boat. If you can stabilize them to your hull they’d probably be ok

We’ve been using the aere inflatables for 3 years, and love them. We also carry 3 regular round fenders. Think we have 9 of the aere’s. They enable us to carry adequately sized fenders, as most fenders I see on boats are undersized. We have a rechargeable pump we use to quickly inflate them. They pack down small and are light.