Passport111

SH / DH Cruiser / Racer

I've really been enjoying single and short handed racing the past couple years.  Everything from 2 or 8 mile legs to a couple hundred miles.  Our boat is a mid 80s Scandinavian racer/cruiser.  Great upwind, not bad downwind but overall a bit narrow and small cockpit.  It is in mint condition with a gorgeous mahogany interior but feels a bit tight for the other use case; dockside cottage and party barge with friends and day sails.

I would love a Archambault, Sunfast, or Pogo.  My wife is in love with a Passport 40/41.  Looking for suggestions on something in between :) lol.

We both want something that is comfy to weekend on with a nice berth, galley, head, and space in the saloon and cockpit.  Working remotely a lot of the time it would be nice to work from the boat and do some coastal hopping.  Our current boat could work (you can make anything work) but we are toying with the idea of an upgrade.

I feel the racing is what gets the boat out on the water and I like it.  Specifically the short and single handed stuff.  We have 2 teenage sons that race dinghies and I race a Lighting with them but they are now big enough that they are interested in and starting to do some distance racing.

We want to stay under 45 feet (preferably closer to 40).  I just don't see a way to get the volume and cockpit on an older boat and we already have and 80s boat that I don't think we can do better than for condition and value.  But too new is not in the budget.

Some boats that have peaked my interest happen to be largely European and not plentiful in North America.  Examples are Dufour 40 Performance, Elan 40, Salona 45 (love this but a bit on the big and pricy size).  

What are other recommendations?  Is this possible or a Unicorn.  I know a jack of all trades is master of none but will have to accept that as a compromise.  I have a feeling if there is no good middle ground we will go the more cruiser/dock condo route.  I'm holding on to hope I can show to some SH/DH races.

The J-Boats pretty much fit this bill perfectly, especially the e versions. You get a fast boat, with a comfortable yacht like interior that can be sailed shorthanded fairly easily.

Budget is the biggest constraint, but there are lots of older J's out there that sail well and have nice interiors.

• Like 1

convince your wife to buy old race pogo 40 and make furnitures like 1250 or to your taste. In my opinion, it is easier to upgrade racer boat than vice versa. Racer boats offer more space as their asses are wider and sexier. 

Check out the Grand Soleils, especially considering your location.  We have a 2007 GS 40.  It is definitely a comfortable cruiser for my non-racing wife.  Our model had a pretty big production run so they are not too expensive.  The triple spreader rig and hull with it's steel cage are exceptionally strong.  The lines are run to the cockpit and I have her pretty well setup for DH / SH.

• Like 2

Yes, Shearwater is turn key and exactly what you are looking for, have seen her recently and she looks great and has been well cared for and no, it isn't my boat.

Thanks for all the feedback all and @Chix & Dumpling.  Yes Grand Soleils are attractive and we've been looking.  I'll look at that model and year range.  

I'll check out the Js too.  Thought about those early on but didn't look to hard.

I'm a J fan, so would agree with the J/120 and Shearwater to be specific, but that's still maybe more to the "racy" side and less to the "Dockside Condo/Party Barge" side of things.  Personally, I'd go with the J as I'd rather have the performance and handling side.  If its not fun to sail/race, you'll in the end loose interest in it.  That said, I've got a friend who used to crew for me that has a Sunfast 42i Performance and we did a "Down the Bay" (race down Ches Bay from Annapolis MD to Hampton VA) with 25-35 from the North, and I was very impressed with how the boat handled in that wx/sea state.  Averaged close to 12 kts, with speeds as high as 18kts.  He had good sails on it, etc, and it's still kinda fat in the ass, so suffers some in lighter air...but would surely fit the dockside condo/party barge part really well, and as I said, performance is ok...

• Like 1

I agree that Js are wonderful and fit your bill perfectly, however, as it has been said, budget can become a challenge.

I race solo and shorthanded a SunFast32i, in Scandinavia. It is great to race, but not in the class of a J or Pogo. The 32i version has a great layout and works well for cruising as well. Mine is a 32 feet, I believe the 36 version is closer to the sizes you are looking for

• Like 1

I enjoy my swan 45 for this exact mission!    We do lots of double handed races and local cruising.  

• Like 1

If you don't mind my asking...

..." mid 80s Scandinavian racer/cruiser.  Great upwind, not bad downwind but overall a bit narrow and small cockpit."....

What do you have. now?

On 7/1/2020 at 8:06 AM, badia420 said:

This is the boat you need:

https://www.yachtworld.es/barcos/2000/one-design-nautatec-40-3535419/

Perfect state real bargain, currently in Mallorca.

2 big cabins, big galley, and nice saloon.

2h machine, has won 2 Middle Sea Race in class,

PM for more information

Nice, but SH/2H?

It is optimized for long distance racing and it is very easy to sail in 2h.

New configuration with jibs make it easy to sail upwind and tacking, 2 poles for gybing in solo or double, fixed bowsprit for asy.

But above all a very seaworthy boat, safe and fun to sail. Ideal for family cruising also without much racing-cruising modification or stuff to take out in.

Really a good boat, lots of sail inventory, ready to sail and race or cruise.

• Like 1

@badia420 thanks nice looking boat.  I don't think the interior is up to what my wife has in mind.

Also, have yet to hear of a way to buy a boat from Europe for less than ~$30K (shipping or delivering) and a ton of risk.  Doesn't seem to make much sense when we're looking at boats in the less than ~$130K range.

If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.

@Alan H its a Bianca 111.  Danish made MH version.  Love this boat, and tough to think about selling her.  Still on the fence.  Let me know if you know of anyone who would be interested - would like her to go to a good home if we do sell her.  Feel like more of a custodian than owner.

IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5004.JPG

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3c61.jpg

• Like 2

I crewed on one in the SF Bay Area about 15 years ago...just did half a dozen low-key races on the boat as meat and grinder. I loved it, thought the boat was gorgeous, but it really did need at least 4-5 of us to really get her going in a race.  That said, if I had that boat, I'd also have a very hard time letting it go!  Beautiful!

Edited by Alan H
  • Like 1

Interesting, I've never seen a Bianca with red stripes nor without the two-colour striping.