Sign in to follow this  
in_TO

Seeking anchor light

I’m looking for a battery operated anchor light to hang in the fore triangle that has a light sensor to auto-shut off at dawn.  I remember seeing one once in a boat.

Anyone know of one?

I hang a garden solar lamp...shuts off when the sun comes up, charges all day, turns on when darkness comes.  Have used the same one for years, just changed the battery this week after many years.

• Like 1

Google "Marinebeam".

I hate the garden lamps. At 3 am they are often very dim. But you don't notice because they were fine when you went to bed. 

24 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I hate the garden lamps. At 3 am they are often very dim. But you don't notice because they were fine when you went to bed. 

Exactly. Too dim. Good to hear Zonker has often experienced trying to find his way home at 3am. An anchor lamp that illuminates the house, deck or rigging helps preserve the topsides paint. Jus'sayin.

The solar lights are no bueno, sort of a please hit me light in the anchorage.  A good all around LED draws a tiny amount of power so you can make a whip with pretty small wire and go to a plug inside.  The blue deck height or spreader LEDs seem to be the new thing, they don't meet the anchor light requirements but they are very visable from a dingy.

The Davis one works great for a temporary setup.  I suspended it about halfway up the forestay using a spare halyard.  When I had my rig out installed the MarineBeam masthead light (which is a combo anchor/tri-color/SOS light) and that is also great. 

Those garden solar jobs look more like a street light a couple of miles away.

On 6/19/2020 at 9:47 AM, Max Rockatansky said:

The Davis Mega-Light: you can rig it to run on a battery, it comes with a 12V plug

Once again, spot on Max, I have a masthead LED bulb that lights up the whole bay if I turn it on, I use one of the Davis lights tied onto my inner forestay and it works great plus is kind of old worldy in a kerosene anchor light way.

Perhaps not as the "legal" anchor light, but much better than yard lights.  We used them down low to help panga drivers see the boat, as they seldom look up to see lights.  Having non-white one also helps you find your boat at night.

The other nice feature (compared say to the Davis light -- which I agree is an excellent unit) is that it is solar and self-contained.  You don't need to wire it up, so easy to install 'bout anywhere.

We've had excellent life out of them, especially if you open them up and spray with a good dielectric such as BoShield. 

2 hours ago, jamhass said:

Try these.  There are a number of similar items.  Far better than solar yard lights, etc.  Available in colors too.

https://www.amazon.com/S4LN-NON-FLASHING-STEADY-Marina-Safety/dp/B00TMFR016/ref=sr_1_86?dchild=1&keywords=led+dock+light+solar&qid=1593380665&sr=8-86

Description says the vertical angle is very narrow. Says it will not be effective unless mounted perfectly level at eye level on a stable platform. Doesn't sound like a boat.

What is your opinion on that?

I found them to be very effective.  Easy to see and identify from far across the anchorage.  Narrow beam is a good thing as it concentrates the light in the plane of the observer.  Never had an issue with occlusion, maybe if some occurred it just resulted in a blinking light which might actually improve visibility???  Maybe not great at a masthead, but mounted on a pulpit or pushpit -- fantastic.

In my experience, they lasted the night (far better than yard lights), were plenty bright for the intended use, available in colors (to ID your boat) and needed no wiring so easily installed where most useful.

In our case, the main goal was to illuminate the boat to avoid collisions with dinghys, pangas (local fishing boats), etc.  Secondary was to help ID the boat in crowded anchorages. 

We always ran a masthead anchor light.  These were auxilliary. Sorry if I implied they might serve as the sole legal anchor light.

PS - if the narrow angle is an issue, there are many similar options which might have different specs.  I posted only the first I found now.  We purchased ours a couple of years ago and have no idea which particular unit we bought.  We got the idea from other cruisers who were also very happy with them.