Morgan Crewed

BYC Mackinac - Time to Pull the Plug?

9 hours ago, Shife said:

Well said. I was somewhat surprised to learn the lights were still on here. Nothing here worth wasting time on.

Shife is back!  Whoohooo!

Good to see that you're still on the right side of the dirt! 

Mask up Michigan

we got the cell text from the Lansing about the mask up order yesterday 7/13/2020. so state wide everyone with a cell phone is on notice about  face covering it's the law now. The "Businesses MUST refuse entry or service to those who do not wear a face covering" part will go over like a lead balloon 

“It’s incumbent on every one of us to mask-up, from the White House, to the state house, everywhere in between,” Whitmer said. “We are seeing this play out across the country. We have to do our part to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

Well, we are back from the Mac.  It was a fun, bumpy, wet ride.   The experience was well worth it.  We arrived on the island about 0630 Monday...about the 21st boat to finish.  The place was quiet as expected.  Docked at the coal docks as instructed for our touch-and-go.  Turned in the tracker as instructed.  Went to Dowd's as planned to replenish our beer and ice supply.  Hit the road for Harbor Springs about 0830 without another boat having come in the coal docks.

Everything went off without a hitch.  I guess we'll all just wait for 14 days to see if someone had the COVID...but I doubt it.  After all, but then we'll need to be racing in Ugotta!

Cheers.

Hroth

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Well, we are back from the Mac.  It was a fun, bumpy, wet ride.   The experience was well worth it.  We arrived on the island about 0630 Monday...about the 21st boat to finish.  The place was quiet as expected.  Docked at the coal docks as instructed for our touch-and-go.  Turned in the tracker as instructed.  Went to Dowd's as planned to replenish our beer and ice supply.  Hit the road for Harbor Springs about 0830 without another boat having come in the coal docks.

Everything went off without a hitch.  I guess we'll all just wait for 14 days to see if someone had the COVID...but I doubt it.  After all, but then we'll need to be racing in Ugotta!

Cheers.

Hroth

Thanks for this great little update.

Inconseavable has not pulled the plug yet,  Gordon Watson in a Tartan 30 may still be racing! The boats tracking on the brick and acting like it's sailing toward the finish at .2 knots OUCH. 47 miles to go. He could get a very nice flag for his efforts. And really sick.

From the byc mac race site

image.jpeg.9a9e340e8fa001423ee6aeb522aeb2b6.jpeg

About Inconseavable...

The Inconseavable, of the House of Buttercup, 4th of Its Name, Wench of Winches and Buccaneers, Skipper of the Great Great Lakes, No Breaker of Booms, and Captain of Cotterpins, Whose Crew Drinks and Knows Things.

Can safely say I've never seen a Mac before where every foot of the race from start to finish was hard on the wind. 100% beating and no favored board on the rhumb line.  Could have left the kites home. 

Apparent wind said 24 knots at most but with a reef, #4 jib, and 7 knots of boat speed to get us through rollers that might have been 8 feet, not sure I believe that. Sure was fun to drive in, though. 

Regarding covid.  Our entire boat was tested and came back negative. I know of many boats that did the same. I also know of one that did not sail because a crew member tested positive. I doubt the chances of an outbreak from this race are high. There is no race party. Many boats and crew left immediately, or at least early. This is not covid stew. If you think the race should not have happened, what you really think is all the bars and restaurants should close because that's where you'll get it if at all. My hat is off to the race chair. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Inconseavable has not pulled the plug yet,  Gordon Watson in a Tartan 30 may still be racing! The boats tracking on the brick and acting like it's sailing toward the finish at .2 knots OUCH. 47 miles to go. He could get a very nice flag for his efforts. And really sick..

Yeah, I've been watching him too.  At 1300 his DTF was 44.1 NM and he was doing 4.4 kts and heading toward the island.  Windy shows SE winds at 12kts.  He may be the only guy to fly a kite in the entire race.

Last year he was a DNF and may have something to prove this year.  Gotta admire his determination (and other small boats) that watch the bigger boats pass by at 2X or 3X their speed with pro/semi-pro teams that make it in for dinner at the Pink Pony on Sunday evening.  This was not another easy cruise for him.  You know he struggled all the way.

Hope he makes it in before sunset tonight.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Yeah, I've been watching him too.  At 1300 his DTF was 44.1 NM and he was doing 4.4 kts and heading toward the island.  Windy shows SE winds at 12kts.  He may be the only guy to fly a kite in the entire race.

Last year he was a DNF and may have something to prove this year.  Gotta admire his determination (and other small boats) that watch the bigger boats pass by at 2X or 3X their speed with pro/semi-pro teams that make it in for dinner at the Pink Pony on Sunday evening.  This was not another easy cruise for him.  You know he struggled all the way.

Hope he makes it in before sunset tonight.

When does the time expire? 

4 hours ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Mask up Michigan

we got the cell text from the Lansing about the mask up order yesterday 7/13/2020. so state wide everyone with a cell phone is on notice about  face covering it's the law now. The "Businesses MUST refuse entry or service to those who do not wear a face covering" part will go over like a lead balloon 

“It’s incumbent on every one of us to mask-up, from the White House, to the state house, everywhere in between,” Whitmer said. “We are seeing this play out across the country. We have to do our part to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

This will end up like the other executive order that the Michigan Supreme Court threw out in a 7-0 ruling. Most sheriff depts have stated they will not enforce it. You can exercise prudent health precautions voluntarily and recognize executive over-reach at the same time. It requires pulling your head out of your ass, but it is possible.

• Like 3

Don't believe there is a time limit.  SI are silent about a limit, but does say, "The Skipper Check-In Desk will cease to be open two hours after the last boat is finished."  I view that as no time limit.

Just would like to see him in before it gets dark.  Update at 14:15 - speed is 5.6 kts and 38.6 NM out.  My guess for a finish is 21:45 - 20 minutes after sunset.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Don't believe there is a time limit.  SI are silent about a limit, but does say, "The Skipper Check-In Desk will cease to be open two hours after the last boat is finished."  I view that as no time limit.

Just would like to see him in before it gets dark.  Update at 14:15 - speed is 5.6 kts and 38.6 NM out.  My guess for a finish is 21:45 - 20 minutes after sunset.

This guy and his crew with their tenacity are my heroes. 

• Like 2

Some of us can remember the days when most everyone finished on Monday or Tuesday sometime.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Morgan Crewed said:

image.thumb.png.fc948f5a081753d17e8cb080563d8c86.png

On 7/11/2020 at 4:56 PM, Morgan Crewed said:

Hmmm....Looks as if Comfortably Numb was in Canada for awhile, too

41C85289-23EA-44C7-A9FF-56EA723C030C.png

Nice I raced against them and and kept in bounds - I call this cheating 

what do you guys say???

• Like 2

We sailed this year. Huge props to Chris Clark and BYC for giving us the opportunity to sail. Those of you who chose not to sail missed a good race. It seems odd to not be heading to Chicago for their race.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lucky Dog said:

Nice I raced against them and and kept in bounds - I call this cheating 

what do you guys say???

Looks like they tacked at the boundary, caught a lift and rode it a little too long. I don’t get it. In broad daylight, how did they not see the big purple line on the water?!?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Looks like they tacked at the boundary, caught a lift and rode it a little too long. I don’t get it. In broad daylight, how did they not see the big purple line on the water?!?

:lol:

This is your social media wizardry at Bayview YC. 

Was this translated from Russian? 

“Notch another First for our Bayview Mackinac Race that goes on the history!

After months of planning the Bayview Mackinac Race this year went truly digital, fully automated and in true "real-time" with the finishes and all race Results.

With the current situation and social distancing requirements, the trailer at the finish had eliminated.  We worked with the group at Yellow Brick Tracking and setup for the trackers to automatically send the finish time for each boat directly to our system as they crossed the finish line.  That time stamp was stored and used to immediately calculate the Elapsed and Corrected times along with updating all of the results for the race.  This process allowed for the results to be instantaneously posted on the event web site upon every single boat finish!

A true, real-time automated scoring and results!  Another Bayview Yacht Club Race to Mackinac First!”

• Like 2

That piece definitely goes on the history

On 7/13/2020 at 2:58 PM, Mr. Squirrel said:

All of you armchair quarterbacks can just fuck off, most especially JoeO.  The Bayview MSRs and the Chicago MSRs are nearly identical.  I dont seem to recall you bitching about them after one of your fellow Chicago sailors went overboard off Imedi and died.  I mean fuck, if we followed your moron logic they should permanently cancel the Chicago race if a person could actually die.

This weekend was one of the easiest BYC Macks in the last 35 years that I have been doing them.  Yeah it was upwind the whole way with some decent sized waves at times, but it was warm at night, no bugs, no rain, a nice light show in the Northern sky Saturday night, consistent breeze of 12-15 with occasional puffs to near 20, and done before dark on Sunday.

For those wondering about Flying Buffalo, one of the owners posted on Facebook they had to drop anchor as the lake was taking them South at up to 0.5 knots.  After 10 hours becalmed and 30+ miles behind the next nearest boat they called it a day.

Thanks to Chris Clark for running a great event.

MS

Moronic clown

• Like 1

It is Tuesday at 19:30 and the second slowest boat came in 12 hours ago.  INCONSEAVABLE is still about three hours from finishing.  But he wanted to finish. He could have called it off a long time ago, but he did not want to DNF as he did last year.

Hope he comes back next year.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

It is Tuesday at 19:30 and the second slowest boat came in 12 hours ago.  INCONSEAVABLE is still about three hours from finishing.  But he wanted to finish. He could have called it off a long time ago, but he did not want to DNF as he did last year.

Hope he comes back next year.

Reminds me of a guy who was always DFL ("pickle boat", we called it) in the Chi-Mac for many years. Name was Simonatis, and the boat was Egret - was some old Alberg 35 or something from the early 60. He did the race for many years, almost always DFL, but he did it for the fun and enjoyment. Over and over again w/out any chance of doing well, let alone winning. Gotta admire someone who does it simply for the love of doing ti.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

This guy and his crew with their tenacity are my heroes. 

+1 GO THE INCONSEAVABLE

from the byc mac site

USA 15979 Inconseavable Gordon Watson Ann Arbor, MI 0.7360    not finished...

He gets THE green flag withe GOLD Fringe if he's last in.

6th in class of 8 registered boats, 31st in Division 2, 36 registered,  82nd in line honors 103 boats registered  in this running of the Lake Huron Fresh Water Classic Port Huron to Mackinaw Island Yacht Race 2020

*The COVI-SARS-2 Race, Year 1*

• Like 1

She's in  last in class, last in division, last in fleet.  

THE INCONSEAVABLE  * SARS-CoV-2 Mack Race, Year 1*

• Like 1

Social Distancing and the Stay at Home orders Work. Masks Work. Impatience and Selfish Behavior does not, for the people around you. Might work for you, not them. When Sailing, the upwind Bowman, oops I mean crewmember in charge of the Bow... is safe, If (it) is on the first in the fleet boat and the entire race is upwind.   Be careful what you wish for SA, you may become the new USSA. 1st All YC's have to defund the RC.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pollination said:

When Sailing, the upwind Bowman, oops I mean crewmember in charge of the Bow... is safe, If (it) is on the first in the fleet boat and the entire race is upwind.

Oh for fucks sake please. Do you even understand how diluted any aerosols from breathing are in an upwind race? 

If you get covid, it’s going to be at the grocery store, a restaurant, Home Depot, or any of the myriad INDOOR places that people  have been congregating since March.

Worst case scenario someone on board gets it and you know exactly who you exposed, and they can all immediately self-isolate and get tested, a lot better than getting it from an unknown location from strangers.

95% this COVID shaming is just sad internet “sailors” who would never be invited on this race in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

Oh for fucks sake please. Do you even understand how diluted any aerosols from breathing are in an upwind race? 

If you get covid, it’s going to be at the grocery store, a restaurant, Home Depot, or any of the myriad INDOOR places that people  have been congregating since March.

Worst case scenario someone on board gets it and you know exactly who you exposed, and they can all immediately self-isolate and get tested, a lot better than getting it from an unknown location from strangers.

95% this COVID shaming is just sad internet “sailors” who would never be invited on this race in the first place.

Are you aware that this is a multiple day race in which 90%+ of crews will use a watch system?  It doesn't get much more indoor than below deck, on a distance racing boat, stuffed with the max crew, all hot bunking.  

23 minutes ago, Controversial_posts said:

tumblr_map52uzzgx1rsyqf9o1_500.png

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Grinder said:

This is your social media wizardry at Bayview YC. 

Was this translated from Russian? 

“Notch another First for our Bayview Mackinac Race that goes on the history!

After months of planning the Bayview Mackinac Race this year went truly digital, fully automated and in true "real-time" with the finishes and all race Results.

With the current situation and social distancing requirements, the trailer at the finish had eliminated.  We worked with the group at Yellow Brick Tracking and setup for the trackers to automatically send the finish time for each boat directly to our system as they crossed the finish line.  That time stamp was stored and used to immediately calculate the Elapsed and Corrected times along with updating all of the results for the race.  This process allowed for the results to be instantaneously posted on the event web site upon every single boat finish!

A true, real-time automated scoring and results!  Another Bayview Yacht Club Race to Mackinac First!”

This worked just fine. All you haters, who weren't even sailing, need to find something else to whine about.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, eastern motors said:

Are you aware that this is a multiple day race in which 90%+ of crews will use a watch system?  It doesn't get much more indoor than below deck, on a distance racing boat, stuffed with the max crew, all hot bunking.  

This is true. 

It is also true that there is almost zero chance of avoiding the whole crew catching covid 19 if anyone was infectious during the race.

However,  the spread will be limited to just the people on that crew who  all know each other and can be traced easily  whereas that same infectious person  going to a bar or a beach is likely to infect a lot more people, with no way to trace contacts.

The risks are not far different than if that same group of people did not go racing.  They may be very different than if that group isolated at home all weekend, but that almost certainly not what they would have been doing instead.

I hope the people who raced did so on the assumption that they could catch covid 19, and that they took suitable steps to mitigate any risks after the race. I dont believe that simply by participating they were being irresponsible.

29 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

This is true. 

It is also true that there is almost zero chance of avoiding the whole crew catching covid 19 if anyone was infectious during the race.

However,  the spread will be limited to just the people on that crew who  all know each other and can be traced easily  whereas that same infectious person  going to a bar or a beach is likely to infect a lot more people, with no way to trace contacts.

The risks are not far different than if that same group of people did not go racing.  They may be very different than if that group isolated at home all weekend, but that almost certainly not what they would have been doing instead.

I hope the people who raced did so on the assumption that they could catch covid 19, and that they took suitable steps to mitigate any risks after the race. I dont believe that simply by participating they were being irresponsible.

Stop being so reasonable.

BTW...I and my crew all acknowledged the risks.  We even joked about the people being forced to sign waivers to race.  I have never asked my crew to sign a waiver and never will despite the litigious nature of our society (due in no small part to ass-licking attorneys like Clean).

We will see in a few weeks at Ugotta how things are playing out.  My sense is we will all be doing just fine, despite the close quarters below, the hot bunking, and the general lack of hygiene that exists on a bumpy, wet, distance race.

To all the haters who say owners, crew, the committee, etc. were all be irresponsible, what I say is...well you know what I say.

Thanks BYC for a great race.  Looking forward to next year.

Hroth

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

Stop being so reasonable.

BTW...I and my crew all acknowledged the risks.  We even joked about the people being forced to sign waivers to race.  I have never asked my crew to sign a waiver and never will despite the litigious nature of our society (due in no small part to ass-licking attorneys like Clean).

We will see in a few weeks at Ugotta how things are playing out.  My sense is we will all be doing just fine, despite the close quarters below, the hot bunking, and the general lack of hygiene that exists on a bumpy, wet, distance race.

To all the haters who say owners, crew, the committee, etc. were all be irresponsible, what I say is...well you know what I say.

Thanks BYC for a great race.  Looking forward to next year.

Hroth

I have to say I think there was some irresponsibility. The photo of the Race committee all standing shoulder to shoulder, with a significant number of them apparently in fairly high risk groups gave me pause. I couldn't see any good reason for that.

I plan to  be at Ugotta, I will be masked. BUT if the infection rates in Michigan start going up significantly I can still change my mind.

31 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

BUT if the infection rates in Michigan start going up significantly I can still change my mind.

Up 245% in the last 30 days here in Michigan significant enough?  Or is it "Fake news" and "manipulated data?"  Not looking to get in a sht fight, just asking cuz I am that dumb.

1 hour ago, oneguyfromdetroit said:

This worked just fine.

Yeah, if it was a press release from the "Grand Club of the Yacht for Sailing from the Most Glorious Nation of Kazhakstan". Does BYC stand for Borat Yacht Club? 

5 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Does BYC stand for Borat Yacht Club? 

lol.  BYC neighborhood does look an awful lot like Kazakhstan

kazakhstan-atyrau-rich-poor-kz100138-800

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Yeah, if it was a press release from the "Grand Club of the Yacht for Sailing from the Most Glorious Nation of Kazhakstan". Does BYC stand for Borat Yacht Club? 

Grammar wasn't the best. I still understood what it said. But go on, keep being a hater. 

12 minutes ago, Geff said:

Up 245% in the last 30 days here in Michigan significant enough?  Or is it "Fake news" and "manipulated data?"  Not looking to get in a sht fight, just asking cuz I am that dumb.

The headline and data are not 'fake news' they are however pretty misleading, and the 245% increase is not a particularly important statistic.  The increase can be an effect of the low point in cases being compared rather than the current case numbers. Its much more relevant to look at infection rates, and actual case numbers rather htan increase since some arbitrary low point. Though of course that doesn't make for a great headline.

Michigan has a pretty well though out plan with data based phases of recovery.  Statewide infection rates remain below 5%,  https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98163_98173---,00.html and have been kicking around 2-3% for a while but just kicked up to around a 4% (a 100% increase compares to Jul14th)

In Emmet county rates are even lower (less than 2%). Obviously, at a regatta like Ugotta the risk is much more from the yahoos that roll into town than the locals,  so that has to be considered. But remains medium risk at this point.

To answer the question. No a 245% increase in infection rate in Michigan does not factor into my assessment. But I am looking at what the current infection rates are, and how they compare to CDC and state guidelines. This seems like a reasonable way to approach this to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnMB said:

I have to say I think there was some irresponsibility. The photo of the Race committee all standing shoulder to shoulder, with a significant number of them apparently in fairly high risk groups gave me pause. I couldn't see any good reason for that.

I plan to  be at Ugotta, I will be masked. BUT if the infection rates in Michigan start going up significantly I can still change my mind.

Optics would have been better had they all had masks on in the photo!

Hroth

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnMB said:

In Emmet county rates are even lower (less than 2%). Obviously, at a regatta like Ugotta the risk is much more from the yahoos that roll into town than the locals,  so that has to be considered. But remains medium risk at this point.

Total cases in Emmet county are 35 with 2 total deaths.  The case number was at 21 for quite a while but still with only 2 deaths.  Pretty good stats if you ask me.  

As I live up here in the summer, I can attest that people are 'mostly' wearing masks except for some entitled elderly and some of your local yokels.  Harbor Springs has more masks than Petoskey based on my observations.  Thus I would conclude the well-heeled appear to be taking the mask mandate seriously.

Looking forward to a great Ugotta!

Hroth

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Optics would have been better had they all had masks on in the photo!

Hroth

would have had the reverse effect than it did and provided an example of what responsible people do when standing next to each other.

have a great time up there.

• Like 2

I wouldn't wish a 1989 Chi-Mac on my worst enemy, but we did 20nm in the 24hr period known as Sunday.  Finished Tuesday afternoon and won our class and were top 3 overall on a 43'.  You candyasses would not tolerate that.  

I wonder how many 70s are going to make it to a Tuesday finish.  I celebrate the Tartan 30 finishing because 45 yrs ago, it meant something to finish.  Now, nobody wants a race, they want it over as soon as possible.  I don't get that.  I always wanted a range of conditions with some tactical decisions thrown in.   Times have changed.  I don't get it, you wait all year for the race and then want conditions that make it as short as possible.  

I'm glad you got the race in and frankly, I would have loved it but am old and don't own a boat.  I hope no one ends up sick.  

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

I wouldn't wish a 1989 Chi-Mac on my worst enemy, but we did 20nm in the 24hr period known as Sunday.  Finished Tuesday afternoon and won our class and were top 3 overall on a 43'.  You candyasses would not tolerate that.  

I wonder how many 70s are going to make it to a Tuesday finish.  I celebrate the Tartan 30 finishing because 45 yrs ago, it meant something to finish.  Now, nobody wants a race, they want it over as soon as possible.  I don't get that.  I always wanted a range of conditions with some tactical decisions thrown in.   Times have changed.  I don't get it, you wait all year for the race and then want conditions that make it as short as possible.  

I'm glad you got the race in and frankly, I would have loved it but am old and don't own a boat.  I hope no one ends up sick.  

Very well stated!

53 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

As much as I try to forget it, I remember that race. You guys were 1/3 I think (sec/flt), we were 2/8 (diff class tho). That was like 72 hrs! Ugh!

1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Don’t remember the year but it took 12 hours to make it to Irving Park Rd, and 24 hours later we were off Milwaukee. The longest though was a solo that took 92 hours. I also raced on a Tartan 30 in the late 70’s

I completely agree with the sentiment. I did my first few Macs on GL70’s which shouldn’t even count. I made up for it by abandoning the sled ride and doing the 100th on a Laser 28. We brought that thing in broken and busted, but finished. 

AA4F3F08-FCF4-419D-829D-5409E440B311.jpeg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

Don’t remember the year but it took 12 hours to make it to Irving Park Rd, and 24 hours later we were off Milwaukee. The longest though was a solo that took 92 hours. I also raced on a Tartan 30 in the late 70’s

Ok, let's open this up, favorite MACs:

1995 Port Huron Mac

The yacht was Vagary (Peterson 43) and we had our core crew together.  The owner (Dick Rodseth) had picked a fight with a table saw and lost and showed up Saturday am and wished us well.  On the way to the start, my brother Earl studied the SI's so he could be "Dick".  We split the crew based on which of the owner's daughters you had dated.  This led to some confusion as some (including me) could not be immediately assigned, and others could have been on either watch.  The rest of the crew including Earl knew how to make the boat go.  We start, and it's DDW and we short jibe around the channel and the wind builds and we end up near Cove next to a boat in our class that tells us they are protesting us because of missed marks.  Back to the chart and Earl says those buoys are on Cove, nope, big fuckup.  He put his head in his hands and crawled in a bunk and then skipped the race the next year!  The great idea BYC had was to constrain the boats to the Michigan shore for everyone's delight.  The only year in history they pulled this shit.  So we figure out we're going to be tossed, but we're having a great time.  The laughter was such you didn't want to go below at the end of your watch.  On the way from Cove, we were max speed and hit every shift and finished with the 50s.  10nm out, our sage helmsman remarked, I just wish the rig would go.  Still the most fun I've ever had on a Mac by far.  I just wish my brother had not taken it so hard.  

For anyone who knows Earl Lyden, there is a memorial (stories/drinks) at Muskegon Yacht Club this Saturday (18th) from 3 to 5.  Anyone reading this messages is invited.  

His brother Jim

• Like 5

Ok, let's open this up, favorite MACs:

1995 Port Huron Mac

The yacht was Vagary (Peterson 43) and we had our core crew together.  The owner (Dick Rodseth) had picked a fight with a table saw and lost and showed up Saturday am and wished us well.  On the way to the start, my brother Earl studied the SI's so he could be "Dick".  We split the crew based on which of the owner's daughters you had dated.  This led to some confusion as some (including me) could not be immediately assigned, and others could have been on either watch.  The rest of the crew including Earl knew how to make the boat go.  We start, and it's DDW and we short jibe around the channel and the wind builds and we end up near Cove next to a boat in our class that tells us they are protesting us because of missed marks.  Back to the chart and Earl says those buoys are on Cove, nope, big fuckup.  He put his head in his hands and crawled in a bunk and then skipped the race the next year!  The great idea BYC had was to constrain the boats to the Michigan shore for everyone's delight.  The only year in history they pulled this shit.  So we figure out we're going to be tossed, but we're having a great time.  The laughter was such you didn't want to go below at the end of your watch.  On the way from Cove, we were max speed and hit every shift and finished with the 50s.  10nm out, our sage helmsman remarked, I just wish the rig would go.  Still the most fun I've ever had on a Mac by far.  I just wish my brother had not taken it so hard.  

For anyone who knows Earl Lyden, there is a memorial (stories/drinks) at Muskegon Yacht Club this Saturday (18th) from 3 to 5.  Anyone reading this messages is invited.  

His brother Jim

Great times, smiling faces!  The memories of racing with and against you and Earl over the years, are some of my fondest.

We always had a great but friendly rivalry with Vagary (Vaguely) when "y'all" came to town for a NOOD or Verve, or Chi Mac.  Respect.

9 hours ago, JoeO said:

We always had a great but friendly rivalry with Vagary (Vaguely) when "y'all" came to town for a NOOD or Verve, or Chi Mac.  Respect.

One of my favorite memories with Earl was during a NOOD or Verve and we're rolling Toscana in pretty light air and I turned to Earl and (so they could hear us on Tosacana) asked, didn't he used to have one of these.  His response, Yeah, but he sold it and bought a race boat.  

14 hours ago, JoeO said:

As much as I try to forget it, I remember that race. You guys were 1/3 I think (sec/flt), we were 2/8 (diff class tho). That was like 72 hrs! Ugh!

That was my 1st CYC Mac race. It didn't chase me off, have since done another 24. Sorry to be missing this year.

14 hours ago, JoeO said:

What was funny, is that CYC did some shenanigans and scored Bacchant (who finished five or so hours behind us) ahead of us.  That was quickly fixed.  I think you have the scoring right.  IIRC, Heartbeat (Wylie 46) kicked all our asses all season long.  That boat was wicked fast.  

37 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

What was funny, is that CYC did some shenanigans and scored Bacchant (who finished five or so hours behind us) ahead of us.  That was quickly fixed.  I think you have the scoring right.  IIRC, Heartbeat (Wylie 46) kicked all our asses all season long.  That boat was wicked fast.  

I think what happened was they first scored it using dynamic scoring (remember, this was IMS), with a really low derived windsped, then they later re-scored it at the "allowed" minimum of 8kts (this may have been the US Sailing  IMS Committee prescription, don't really remember). Anyhow, there were some changes in final placings as a result.

In addition to being fast, I think Heartbeat was also treated well under IMS.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:21 AM, Controversial_posts said:

Invited....what?...I do the inviting...aerosol. Last I checked Michigan and the Midwest is all "in the Covid" RED zone....great job ...there will be wind and water next year. 

1 hour ago, jackolantern said:

Heard someone on a 52 had their finger ripped off. Maybe not wise to grab the mainsheet on a tack. 

Was the Andrews 65 Eagle One, or so I heard.  Don't know the how or the gory details.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:01 PM, coyotepup said:

Was the Andrews 65 Eagle One, or so I heard.  Don't know the how or the gory details.

Yeah, that was the boat. From what I heard it was a hand in the wrong spot as a halyard was being released.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:57 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

lol.  BYC neighborhood does look an awful lot like Kazakhstan

kazakhstan-atyrau-rich-poor-kz100138-800

Did some google mapping... Saw Detroit Yacht Club. Out of curiosity, what is that place? Any racing based out of there? Looks like a nice piece of property... 

1 hour ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Did some google mapping... Saw Detroit Yacht Club. Out of curiosity, what is that place? Any racing based out of there? Looks like a nice piece of property... 

DYC had some good boats out of there in the day, and one or two still.  They were really competitive.  That club building is a classic with quite the history.  The Detroit Boat Club is also a historical gem, that would be the most awesome restoration project, if someone had the jing for it.

6 hours ago, Geff said:

DYC had some good boats out of there in the day, and one or two still.  They were really competitive.  That club building is a classic with quite the history.  The Detroit Boat Club is also a historical gem, that would be the most awesome restoration project, if someone had the jing for it.

Spent a day at the pool a year or 2 ago,  it's a lovely club still.  The harbor is currently packed.  The club is doing quite well from what I understand. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 1:19 PM, Gangbusters said:

My understanding is that you can sail in the waters but cannot anchor or go ashore.  There was a GLSS boat that was impounded in Canada when he took refuge there during the storm.  The Canadian entries decided not to compete knowing that Mac Island would be off limits.

On 6/28/2020 at 8:15 AM, kcolborne said:

For Canadians wishing to crew in the race, the Canadian-US land border is closed.  You can't drive across the border or cross by boat unless you are working, with all the valid permits.

However, you can fly between the countries still.  So Canadians that wish to crew for boats in the Mac race just need to fly to the US to do it.

Stupid government rules.

Yes from Toronto to Detroit then back in reverse.  The kicker was having to quarantine for 14 days upon arrival back in Canada.  

It's now been almost two weeks since the race started.  Anyone know anyone who contracted COVID as a result of participating?  Either as delivery crew, race crew, race committee, race well-wisher?  Doubt it.

Just sayin...

Hroth

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 6:00 PM, Geff said:

it ain't the cash, it's that no one wants to commit given the price

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hrothgar said:

It's now been almost two weeks since the race started.  Anyone know anyone who contracted COVID as a result of participating?  Either as delivery crew, race crew, race committee, race well-wisher?  Doubt it.

Just sayin...

Hroth

You think anybody's going to 'fess up?

3 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Just sayin...

Hroth

2 weeks since the start tomorrow... We need to see how things are on Monday, when most boats finished.  So far I've heard of zero cases, but that's purely anecdotal.  

• Like 1

If the GPYC and Bayview had a love child, it would be DYC.  Is the Scot fleet still going there or what? 

• Like 1

So two weeks out and I'll provide a two point recap, I was on the J111 Freedom:

1) Regarding Covid.   I'm being real and sharing what we did, I probably wouldn't change a thing, if it makes you upset you should probably seek happiness in your life. 

Our crew of 8 had been meeting weekly since 5/19 to either practice or prep the boat.  This was in compliance with Governor Whitmer's mandate to not gather in groups larger than 10.  Most the time we wore gaiters as face coverings, not exactly N95 masks.  We attempted to social distance as much as possible, but 8 guys working and sailing on a J111 weekly for a couple of months that's near impossible. 

So in summary I'd say that as a group there was an ongoing chance for exposure on a weekly basis leading up to the race.  As such testing the group before the start didn't make much sense, in essence we were linked.  We were no more exposed than we would have been doing any one of the litany of permitted activities by our state, golf, grocery shopping, shopping at any big box retailer, hair cuts, rioting, looting, protesting, etc.... 

Two weeks out from our departure as a group, none has exhibited symptoms of Covid, nor has anyone associated with the crew has become sick with the virus.  

My final point.  At no point between our gathering in Port Huron to the end of the race (or almost end, more on that) did we come into contact with any other crew.  We were completely compartmentalized from other teams and organizers.  Assuming we finished the race and continued to our slip in Mackinac City things would have been the same.

2) Regarding the race, I'll be honest our performance was worse than Covid!.  It was definitely an upwind slog, a bit bumpy and wet, but not the worst that can be offered up by Lake Huron.  We did favor the right side of the course way too much the first day and it cost us.  We found ourselves firmly in the rear of our class by the end of the first day.

During the second day we were dealing with a little bit of water getting in the boat.  We were able to dewater everything that was coming in, but by the end of the day the water was able to get to the batteries when we were healed over on port tack.  This was a concern but we were still able to dewater the boat.  We knew that the hatch leaked a little and the bowsprit let a little in also, but it didn't account for the volume of water we were seeing.  On Sunday night when faced with the prospect of bumpy upwind ride with an unknown source of water entering the boat in the dark, while manageable at the time, we decided to pull into Alpena and retire.  A tough choice, I felt like continuing but the skipper and crew had enough.  In the end it was the right choice.

In Alpena we determined that the water was getting into the boat through a disconnected scupper.  When the following seas reached the drain hole in the transom it was letting the water into the boat.  An easy fix once identified, but it might not have been as easily identifiable in the dark, so I feel like the decision to retire was the right one. 

• Like 1

Still too early. Got to add 5-10 days for people to get their test results back. I know it varies by state, but that timeframe is what I’ve seen as average for the county.  

4 minutes ago, Lightfoot said:

Still too early. Got to add 5-10 days for people to get their test results back. I know it varies by state, but that timeframe is what I’ve seen as average for the county.  

Wouldn't be too early to start showing symptoms, though.  Anyone who caught the covid on the race or the island, and showed symptoms, those symptoms would've long since begun to appear.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone on our crew will get tested after the race to see if they had exposure, unless they exhibit symptoms.  So as far as our group is concerned nobody will know unless a crewmember or someone close gets sick. 

I'm not clairvoyant or an epidemiologist, but I'm pretty sure nobody in our group will get the virus (from the race). 

• Like 1

I think the DNR did the race organizers a favor by making use of the island docks impossible for the race. It closed the most likely place where cross contamination between crews would have occurred, at dock party.

Unrelated, the logistics of some of the big programs are inspiring. Callisto was on the hard at Larsen Marine in Waukegan on July 3rd, When I went back July 24th, there she was again in a different spot. You wouldn’t have known she did a race a few hundred miles away in between. I know it’s plenty of time between those dates to make it happen, but I think that’s cutting it close with almost no shake down time before the race. 

13 hours ago, Lightfoot said:

I think the DNR did the race organizers a favor by making use of the island docks impossible for the race. It closed the most likely place where cross contamination between crews would have occurred, at dock party.

Unrelated, the logistics of some of the big programs are inspiring. Callisto was on the hard at Larsen Marine in Waukegan on July 3rd, When I went back July 24th, there she was again in a different spot. You wouldn’t have known she did a race a few hundred miles away in between. I know it’s plenty of time between those dates to make it happen, but I think that’s cutting it close with almost no shake down time before the race. 

On the other hand, she finished last among finishers in her class, behind the other 52s and not saving time on the 70s, so maybe a little more time in the water and less time on the hard would've been useful.

I dunno about the docks being the most likely place for cross contamination.  A likely place, maybe not the most.  I think the DNR went a little bit overboard.  They didn't close them, they just made the conditions for BYC's use so stringent that BYC said no way.  And since they were open to individual reservation, the situation there ended up "worse" than the conditions they imposed on BYC.  The DNR wanted boats only every other well and a strict limit of 100 people on the dock with BYC responsible for posting guards 24/7.  (I guess it's a "gathering.")  But they ended up taking reservations for more wells than that, and you could easily find more than 100 people on the dock at times.  Spread out and socially distanced, but there all the same.

They could've put 2/3 of the fleet in the harbor with no rafting, and any overflow on the coal docks.  That would've kept boats six feet apart.  Instead of a numbers limit, they could've just required masks when not on your boat.  I doubt they would've filled the harbor, given the number of boats that never had any intention of staying on the island even before the harbor closed.  And having boats there 1) gives people an outdoor place to congregate instead of going indoors and 2) keeps some people out of hotels.

All water under the bridge now.  We had a good time and I don't think the race was ever a major risk to begin with given the many precautions.  Let's hope next year is back to normal.  It's missing something without the parties and crowded harbor.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, coyotepup said:

All water under the bridge now.  We had a good time and I don't think the race was ever a major risk to begin with given the many precautions.  Let's hope next year is back to normal.  It's missing something without the parties and crowded harbor.

Next year is going to be great, I'll say that both Macs will see a healthy dose of entries revving up to make up for lost time.  I'm sure all associated parties and gatherings will be the same.

Regarding Callisto, when I joined a J111 crew that moved up from a Hunter Legend 37 there was a big learning curve to get up to speed on that type of boat, frankly there still is 3 years on (but that's our problem).  The owner of Callisto has moved up to a Pac 52 from a J109, that has to be a much steeper curve.   Funny you mention that program, I started following Callisto's Instagram yesterday.  By all accounts that boat has only been with the program since the last offseason.  I would say that making it to the starting line in the same season they get a new boat during a global pandemic is accomplishment enough.    

• Like 2