Morgan Crewed

BYC Mackinac - Time to Pull the Plug?

Recommended Posts

Read the latest from the BYC Mac committee? 

Like 15 boats in the harbor at the island.  Maybe none.  You can tie up at the coal docks for a couple hours when you finish, then you MUST leave. 

Many DNR harbors in MI have limited space because of high water, dock damage and social distancing.  May mean a “turn and burn” at the island and then non-stop return.  

I respect their determination, but it's time to cancel the race. 

Full announcement here: https://www.bycmack.com/raceupdates.cfm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of us love to sail. We had a sled, you get there quick. We moved to the slowest rated boat in the race and got to enjoy sailing more. Turn and burn would be a complete joy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe aiming to enjoy the company of those on board instead of the partying en masse will attract a different crowd of participants. Kudos to BYC for making the effort to maintain - and sustain - this event. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Read the latest from the BYC Mac committee? ... Full announcement here: https://www.bycmack.com/raceupdates.cfm 

Thank you for posting the link.

3 hours ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Like 15 boats in the harbor at the island.  Maybe none.  You can tie up at the coal docks for a couple hours when you finish, then you MUST leave. 

Many DNR harbors in MI have limited space because of high water, dock damage and social distancing.  May mean a “turn and burn” at the island and then non-stop return.  

I respect their determination, but it's time to cancel the race

I don’t follow your reasoning.

If you are unhappy with the experience that they are able to offer this year, that’s fine,  just don’t participate (as the notice says, full refund should are available for any competitors cancelling by June 30th). But others feel differently... why should they be deprived of the opportunity?

FWIW, I congratulate the committee on its attitude:

Quote

(F)ocus on the positive. We are racing while very few others are this season.

Bravo, BYC! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All,  

Read your comments and I now understand.  I was wrong.  It was not my place to tell you or BYC what to do. 

It is up to each individual sailor to determine if they should race and not me.

For those that participate in the race I sincerely hope you get fair winds and following seas.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are going to do the race.  If we have to leave the island, we will just return to Harbor Springs (about 7 hours away).  Two hours on the island is plenty of time to hit Dowds for beer, sandwiches and ice. 

That stages us for our next event anyway...Ugotta Regatta.

Cheers.

Hroth

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as there's a race we will be doing it, turn and burn, sail onto St Ignace or to Mac City.  No matter to us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think turn and burn is the responsible way.  The way it should have been planned to begin with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What changes have been adopted for Port Huron and boat night?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

What changes have been adopted for Port Huron and boat night?

There is no boat night.... other than that things will be actually the same.:lol:

 

In all seriousness the Bluewater Festival (aka boat night) was canceled a while ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hrothgar said:

We are going to do the race.  If we have to leave the island, we will just return to Harbor Springs (about 7 hours away).  Two hours on the island is plenty of time to hit Dowds for beer, sandwiches and ice. 

That stages us for our next event anyway...Ugotta Regatta.

Cheers.

Hroth

Same approach for Usual Suspects-- I think the BYC guys are really hauling ass to try and provide an event for US.   We'll turn and burn to HS too if that is what it comes down to....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as there is a race, we will be sailing. Turn and burn is plan B. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the situation on the Island and the very sobering assessment of the Covid risk during tha race from the BYC expert.  I am not going for the first time in 38 years. I think they should have cancelled the race.  Funny that they didn’t publish their medical expert’s assessment until after the no penalty entry deadline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TACNI said:

Given the situation on the Island and the very sobering assessment of the Covid risk during tha race from the BYC expert.  I am not going for the first time in 38 years. I think they should have cancelled the race.  Funny that they didn’t publish their medical expert’s assessment until after the no penalty entry deadline.

You and many others have made the choice that's right for you. 

 

Seems to me like the racers are starting to come up with their own solutions to the situation on the island, not many are planing to dock there.  Regarding Covid, BYC and registered participants will be in compliance with state and federal rules/guidelines (as of this post 6/22/2020).  The last 4 months have been a sobering assessment, all of us have made our decisions based on the same information.  Those of us set to participate obviously don't think the race should be canceled.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case you didn't see it this was the Medical advice BYC sent out.  Take particular note of the advice on Hot Bunking:

 

Precautions all Participants and Family Should Consider

Dr. Marc Rosenthal, BYC Member

 

Race Information:

As all racers are aware Michigan along with the rest of the world is dealing with the Covid-19 Pandemic.  While the number of cases in Michigan, due to shelter in place, has markedly decreased, it is still present.  While medical facilities are not overwhelmed with Covid-19 patients, the patient's survival is more dependent on their current health, age and risk factors than on the quality of care.  Over the last 3 months Michigan had one of the highest case fatality rates in the US.  The disease can be lethal to many.  

 

With the above in mind, the question is how can a crew be best protected to prevent transmission and contracting the disease?

 

World Sailing recommends those over the age of 65 and significant comorbidities should not race.  That is a personal decision, those in this class are at higher risk of death not of transmitting the disease.

 

Pre-Race:

I would recommend that racers really isolate as best as possible starting 14 days before the race.  You may want to test the crew but realize that each test is only 70% accurate and is less so if the person is not symptomatic.  Self-quarantine is effective.  Use of social distancing and masks when out of the house and in any potentially confined area is recommended.   If at any time prior to the race including up to race day a crew member feels sick, they should not race unless they are asymptomatic for 5 days prior to the race.  If you become sick the day of the race do not race.  If you test positive you cannot race until all symptoms have abated and 5 days elapse.

 

Race day:

Any crew member with signs or symptoms of Covid-19 should not race.  The risk to the crew is too high. While they might not have Covid, but a cold, I think the risk is too great to the crew and racers in general.

 

Racing:

Per the Governor's executive order, social distancing is still required even by racers on a boat.  That means maintaining as best as possible 6 ft from others.  In addition, in the cabin and on deck at less than 6 ft Masks should be worn.  Covid spreads primarily via respiratory droplets, the mask protects others not you.  CDC states if social distancing is not possible, then masks are ok and required.

 

Things you can do to limit exposure include or allow more flexibility:

  • Foredeck crew, no mask needed when on the foredeck, no others on foredeck.
  • High winds and/or heavy rain probably masks not needed; exposure risk probably minimal.
  • Light air, exposure risk is higher so distancing as best as possible and mask will limit risk.
  • Sleeping on deck will limit potential transmission.
  • For winch handles, contact risk is minimal but not zero.  One can assign a winch handle per crew per shift and clean it at the end of the shift or clean between uses as best as possible. As long as your hands do not touch your face prior to washing your hands, risk is low.  But have to keep hands away from face.
  • Have cleaning wipes on board and hand sanitizer to protect the crew.
  • For food, cleaning dishes and utensils with soap and water is sufficient, but you can use disposables to decrease risk and time down below.  Consider minimal cooking using hot water only and freeze-dried food or MREs.  Use fresh food (veggies, fruits, etc.)  without heating requirements.  Package after cleaning into per person or daily bags.
  • For sleeping in berths, since hot berthing is the norm, if you have couples on board, they should hot berth together.  Decreases exposure.   If not enough couples then pick wisely as to hot berthing mates.  But also consider boat safety with on deck crew requirements. Remember as ventilation in the cabin for the most part is poor, the risk is highest, so mask use by all down below is necessary.  Consider decreasing the need to be down below, make sure everything is stored correctly, chance of messes is decreased, bags are closed, etc.  
  • The Head should be wiped down really after every use with wipes or cleaning spray and paper towel.
  • As best as possible try to air out the cabin and head as much as possible given the conditions.

Covid-19 Symptoms

Symptoms can be highly varied but include:

Classic:

  • Difficulty breathing/shortness of breath
  • Cough
  • Fever (Temperature over 100.4 F)

Not classic but common:

  • Congestion
  • Headache
  • Sinus symptoms
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea.
  • Fatigue
  • Chills

If at any time during the race a crew member has the above symptoms, isolate them as best as possible, everyone needs to use protection all the time. If someone becomes ill, withdraw from the race or other area where contact with others is possible and make way to an area with a hospital.

 

Marc S Rosenthal, PhD, DO, FACEP, FAEMS

Stargazer, 3839

GPSC Fleet Surgeon

drmsr@wayne.edu

Emergency/EMS Physician

Medical Physicist

Attending Physician, Sinai-Grace Hospital/DMC 

Medical Director, Emergency Management and EMS, SGH/DMC

Supervisory Medical Officer, DHHS/ASPR/EMMO/NDMS/DMAT MI-1 

Assoc. Program Director, Wayne State EMS Fellowship

Deputy Medical Director, Detroit East Medical Control Authority

Chair, American College of Emergency Physicians, Disaster Preparedness and Response Committee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good on BYC for trying to run the race.  I did get a chuckle about the BYC expert advice on "Hot Bunking" but the crew on boats from Illinois should have an easier time "social distancing" because I'm sure they will only bring 8 adults on their boat per their Governor's Boating Guideline for boats over 38 feet:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, REW said:

 Take particular note of the advice on Hot Bunking:

 

Turns out my preconceived notions about hot bunking were way off....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TACNI said:

Given the situation on the Island and the very sobering assessment of the Covid risk during tha race from the BYC expert.  I am not going for the first time in 38 years. I think they should have cancelled the race.  Funny that they didn’t publish their medical expert’s assessment until after the no penalty entry deadline.

No, BYC fixed that for you in their latest pronouncement.

“Based on this information, any boat that wants to withdraw because we may not have access to the harbor at this time can do so by 30 June 2020. You can choose to have a refund or apply your entry fee to the 2021 race.” 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Skull and Bones said:

Racers are gonna race. If a boat in the fleet all comes down with it, it’s the skippers liability.

Those recommendations from Dr. Rosenthal should  cause cancellation of the race.  It's definitely true that racers are gonna race and the RC should protect them.  I doubt there is even a single boat that will require crew to wear masks below deck.  Plenty of over 65 skippers and crew.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 3:35 PM, Fast Laser said:

Good on BYC for trying to run the race.  I did get a chuckle about the BYC expert advice on "Hot Bunking" but the crew on boats from Illinois should have an easier time "social distancing" because I'm sure they will only bring 8 adults on their boat per their Governor's Boating Guideline for boats over 38 feet:rolleyes:

Nah, the delivery crew will just be 8 or less. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2020 at 11:34 PM, Morgan Crewed said:

Hello All,  

Read your comments and I now understand.  I was wrong.  It was not my place to tell you or BYC what to do. 

It is up to each individual sailor to determine if they should race and not me.

For those that participate in the race I sincerely hope you get fair winds and following seas.

Jesus fellow, this is the internet. You aware of that? Do you have any idea how forums work?

Considering other people's responses in a reasonable manner is just not done, never has been, never will be. Acknowledging you may have been wrong is bang out.  If everyone, or even a few people, behaved in such a manner this place will completely fall apart. Take a long hard look at yourself.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 10:23 AM, eastern motors said:

Those recommendations from Dr. Rosenthal should  cause cancellation of the race.  It's definitely true that racers are gonna race and the RC should protect them.  I doubt there is even a single boat that will require crew to wear masks below deck.  Plenty of over 65 skippers and crew.  

The recommendations of one member/competitor/doctor who felt compelled to opine and was given the opportunity to publish his thoughts is not a reason to cancel the race.  It's valuable guidance for anyone who chooses to use it.


Christ, leave it to the Rona to bring me out of retirement.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 3:14 PM, TACNI said:

Given the situation on the Island and the very sobering assessment of the Covid risk during tha race from the BYC expert.  I am not going for the first time in 38 years. I think they should have cancelled the race.  Funny that they didn’t publish their medical expert’s assessment until after the no penalty entry deadline.

This has never been a true statement.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Keysrock35 said:

Turn and burn becomes Plan A. 

Contact Straits State Harbor in Mack City or St. Ignace.  They both had wells available a few days ago....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FastrSailr said:

Contact Straits State Harbor in Mack City or St. Ignace.  They both had wells available a few days ago....

We reserved a slip in Mac city 3 days ago. I hear there is a waiting list now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keysrock35 said:

We reserved a slip in Mac city 3 days ago. I hear there is a waiting list now. 

Looking forward to seeing you on the Island!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

#cancel

 

#boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the official announcement from BYC today, the race will NOT be canceled:

Bayview Mackinac Race - Update - June 24, 2020

 

Current items to update everyone on.

 

  • The race is NOT canceled
  • I am very disappointed to report that the Mackinac Island Harbor will NOT be available to the race this year. After months of promises, the DNR has finally sent the requirements that the race must comply with. After reviewing the contract, we have determined that it is impossible to comply. In our opinion the requirements go well beyond all other controls currently in place at any other place on the island and other state facilities.
  • Since the issue with the DNR is specifically related to the "Event" and not private citizens we have officially informed the DNR that we will not be utilizing the harbor and have requested that the docks released and made available for private reservation. It is now in the DNR's hands to make these docks available.
  • Everyone competing in the race is now responsible for individually arranging docking for their boat after the race.
  • The DNR has provided cursory availability at nearby state harbors. Currently, I do not trust that data enough to share it. I strongly encourage everyone to go online or call the harbors directly to make reservations.
  • I strongly encourage calling the Mackinac Island Harbor to make a reservation. As stated above we have requested that these docks be made available for reservations.
  • There will be very short term tie up at the coal docks. This time will be limited to a couple of hours. You will be able to tie up, drop off crew, organize the boat and then the boat MUST leave so we can accommodate other boats.
  • Based on this information, any boat that wants to withdraw because we will not have access to the harbor at this time can do so by 30 June 2020. You can choose to have a refund or apply your entry fee to the 2021 race.
  • For those that chose to compete in the race, after we understand the harbor situation, there will be an adjustment to the entry fee to rebate the portion of the entry fee that is used to pay for the harbor. We do NOT know how much this will be, or when we will be able to determine what it will be, or how it will be disbursed.
  • The Awards on Mackinac Island are canceled. The flag awards will be given at Bayview Yacht Club as soon as can be practically arranged after the race. Likely sometime in August but that is not set in stone.
  • I want to make it very clear that this is a DNR issue and NOT a Mackinac Island issue. The Island is open for business, looks great and raring to go. Some businesses have not opened yet but most are open. There are a very few that have posted signs that they will not be opening in 2020.
  • I completely understand that this amount of uncertainty may be the last straw for some of you. Please inform Linda (linda@byc.com) or me (mackchair2020@byc.com) ASAP if you are withdrawing from the race.
  • We have received the following Warning from Custom Border Patrol. The border closure has been extended to July 21 at 2359 hrs., any pleasure boats, including the sailors, are NOT allowed to cross the imaginary border line. They are considered Non-Essential Craft. Please make sure all the skippers understand this issue.
  • I strongly encourage everyone to focus on the positive. We are racing and very few others are this season. Let's sail hard, have fun and stay safe.
  • Stay Patient and Stay Flexible. The only known this year is there will be more changes.

 

Chris Clark
Chairman - 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FastrSailr said:

Looking forward to seeing you on the Island!

Or in St Ignace, or Mackinac City.  Either way, good times, looking forward to racing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Keysrock35 said:

#boring.

You think doing the race, then turning and burning is fun?!!! You need to re-calibrate your fun meter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stayoutofthemiddle said:

You think doing the race, then turning and burning is fun?!!! You need to re-calibrate your fun meter!

There are more boats than you think doing the turn and burn during normal years, especially on the Chicago side.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

You think doing the race, then turning and burning is fun?!!! You need to re-calibrate your fun meter!

you think hanging around an island that stinks of horseshit and full of fatties from omaha is fun? You need to re-calibrate your fun meter. I'd rather be at sea with my friends. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 1:31 PM, REW said:

In case you didn't see it this was the Medical advice BYC sent out.  Take particular note of the advice on Hot Bunking:

 

Precautions all Participants and Family Should Consider

Dr. Marc Rosenthal, BYC Member

 

Race Information:

As all racers are aware Michigan along with the rest of the world is dealing with the Covid-19 Pandemic.  While the number of cases in Michigan, due to shelter in place, has markedly decreased, it is still present.  While medical facilities are not overwhelmed with Covid-19 patients, the patient's survival is more dependent on their current health, age and risk factors than on the quality of care.  Over the last 3 months Michigan had one of the highest case fatality rates in the US.  The disease can be lethal to many.  

 

With the above in mind, the question is how can a crew be best protected to prevent transmission and contracting the disease?

 

World Sailing recommends those over the age of 65 and significant comorbidities should not race.  That is a personal decision, those in this class are at higher risk of death not of transmitting the disease.

 

Pre-Race:

I would recommend that racers really isolate as best as possible starting 14 days before the race.  You may want to test the crew but realize that each test is only 70% accurate and is less so if the person is not symptomatic.  Self-quarantine is effective.  Use of social distancing and masks when out of the house and in any potentially confined area is recommended.   If at any time prior to the race including up to race day a crew member feels sick, they should not race unless they are asymptomatic for 5 days prior to the race.  If you become sick the day of the race do not race.  If you test positive you cannot race until all symptoms have abated and 5 days elapse.

 

Race day:

Any crew member with signs or symptoms of Covid-19 should not race.  The risk to the crew is too high. While they might not have Covid, but a cold, I think the risk is too great to the crew and racers in general.

 

Racing:

Per the Governor's executive order, social distancing is still required even by racers on a boat.  That means maintaining as best as possible 6 ft from others.  In addition, in the cabin and on deck at less than 6 ft Masks should be worn.  Covid spreads primarily via respiratory droplets, the mask protects others not you.  CDC states if social distancing is not possible, then masks are ok and required.

 

Things you can do to limit exposure include or allow more flexibility:

  • Foredeck crew, no mask needed when on the foredeck, no others on foredeck.
  • High winds and/or heavy rain probably masks not needed; exposure risk probably minimal.
  • Light air, exposure risk is higher so distancing as best as possible and mask will limit risk.
  • Sleeping on deck will limit potential transmission.
  • For winch handles, contact risk is minimal but not zero.  One can assign a winch handle per crew per shift and clean it at the end of the shift or clean between uses as best as possible. As long as your hands do not touch your face prior to washing your hands, risk is low.  But have to keep hands away from face.
  • Have cleaning wipes on board and hand sanitizer to protect the crew.
  • For food, cleaning dishes and utensils with soap and water is sufficient, but you can use disposables to decrease risk and time down below.  Consider minimal cooking using hot water only and freeze-dried food or MREs.  Use fresh food (veggies, fruits, etc.)  without heating requirements.  Package after cleaning into per person or daily bags.
  • For sleeping in berths, since hot berthing is the norm, if you have couples on board, they should hot berth together.  Decreases exposure.   If not enough couples then pick wisely as to hot berthing mates.  But also consider boat safety with on deck crew requirements. Remember as ventilation in the cabin for the most part is poor, the risk is highest, so mask use by all down below is necessary.  Consider decreasing the need to be down below, make sure everything is stored correctly, chance of messes is decreased, bags are closed, etc.  
  • The Head should be wiped down really after every use with wipes or cleaning spray and paper towel.
  • As best as possible try to air out the cabin and head as much as possible given the conditions.

Covid-19 Symptoms

Symptoms can be highly varied but include:

Classic:

  • Difficulty breathing/shortness of breath
  • Cough
  • Fever (Temperature over 100.4 F)

Not classic but common:

  • Congestion
  • Headache
  • Sinus symptoms
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea.
  • Fatigue
  • Chills

If at any time during the race a crew member has the above symptoms, isolate them as best as possible, everyone needs to use protection all the time. If someone becomes ill, withdraw from the race or other area where contact with others is possible and make way to an area with a hospital.

 

Marc S Rosenthal, PhD, DO, FACEP, FAEMS

Stargazer, 3839

GPSC Fleet Surgeon

drmsr@wayne.edu

Emergency/EMS Physician

Medical Physicist

Attending Physician, Sinai-Grace Hospital/DMC 

Medical Director, Emergency Management and EMS, SGH/DMC

Supervisory Medical Officer, DHHS/ASPR/EMMO/NDMS/DMAT MI-1 

Assoc. Program Director, Wayne State EMS Fellowship

Deputy Medical Director, Detroit East Medical Control Authority

Chair, American College of Emergency Physicians, Disaster Preparedness and Response Committee

Well damn, that notice really makes me want to race.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like they coulda made the island a mark of the course. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Keysrock35 said:

you think hanging around an island that stinks of horseshit and full of fatties from omaha is fun? You need to re-calibrate your fun meter. I'd rather be at sea with my friends. 

#offshoreyachtracer4ever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a few hours on the island, that's all?  The whores better work fast, perhaps set up an assembly line?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keysrock35 said:

you think hanging around an island that stinks of horseshit and full of fatties from omaha is fun? You need to re-calibrate your fun meter. I'd rather be at sea with my friends. 

...until you want to actually use a real shitter & take a shower.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Grinder said:

...until you want to actually use a real shitter & take a shower.  

Difference of opinion I guess. We have a slip at mac city to handle a personnel and yacht cleanup. Otherwise I'm pretty content living aboard during the summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather than do my own leg work, who knows whether they have written the border restriction into the course instructions.  That is, if you sail into Canada, you can get tossed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Rather than do my own leg work, who knows whether they have written the border restriction into the course instructions.  That is, if you sail into Canada, you can get tossed.  

Yes they have.

Hroth

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is it that the GLSS Mac solo just sailed a race up through Canadian waters with no issues, but the BYC Mac is getting told that the imaginary line is a hard closed border. Someone needs to get their info straight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, damcoyote said:

How is it that the GLSS Mac solo just sailed a race up through Canadian waters with no issues, but the BYC Mac is getting told that the imaginary line is a hard closed border. Someone needs to get their info straight.

My guess is that GLSS chose the "ask for forgiveness not for permission" route. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that you can sail in the waters but cannot anchor or go ashore.  There was a GLSS boat that was impounded in Canada when he took refuge there during the storm.  The Canadian entries decided not to compete knowing that Mac Island would be off limits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which boat was that? I tracked all of them up the lake and they were all made it to the US side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, damcoyote said:

Which boat was that? I tracked all of them up the lake and they were all made it to the US side?

I don't know about a boat that was impounded in Canada.

 

I do know that the Express 27 Riptide demasted in the storm.  Skipper was rescued from the boat and initially the boat was left adrift.  Skipper is OK.  Last I heard the boat was towed to Rogers City.  This is supported by the tracker:


Lake Huron solo challenge tracking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info, I had seen the boat on the tracker and wondered what had happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, damcoyote said:

Which boat was that? I tracked all of them up the lake and they were all made it to the US side?

Avatar. He has been since been set free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gangbusters said:

My understanding is that you can sail in the waters but cannot anchor or go ashore.  There was a GLSS boat that was impounded in Canada when he took refuge there during the storm.  The Canadian entries decided not to compete knowing that Mac Island would be off limits.

Based on 2 phone calls to authorities: Canadian coast guard says you can sail in Canadian waters but not anchor. US customs and border patrol says it is a hard border that may not be crossed. This is a problem for some of us who barely are able to make it under Canadian side of blue water bridge as it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's odd, according to the tracker Avatar went to Detour, shouldn't have been to many Canadians there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From: US Coast Guard
    LT Jason Radcliffe, U.S. Coast Guard 9th District 
 

    The Canadian/US border is currently closed.  They suggested that you do not cross the imaginary line in the lake.  Do not anchor in US waters.  When we leave SYC entrance turn right.
 
This is what we received in Sarnia for the border. It does not state that the imaginary line is a hard border.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bizarre how many posters keep demanding that the OA cancel. What a nanny state world we live in.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:23 AM, eastern motors said:

It's definitely true that racers are gonna race and the RC should protect them. 

It is not, and never has been, the RC's responsibility to treat competitors like infants and "protect them" from themselves. Please read Rule 4.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Keysrock35 said:

Based on 2 phone calls to authorities: Canadian coast guard says you can sail in Canadian waters but not anchor. US customs and border patrol says it is a hard border that may not be crossed. This is a problem for some of us who barely are able to make it under Canadian side of blue water bridge as it is. 

Yeah, sure, but border closings aren’t the Coast Guard’s gig, so proceed with caution.  CBSA will give you an emphatic NO if asked about crossing borders on water.

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gangbusters said:

My understanding is that you can sail in the waters but cannot anchor or go ashore.  There was a GLSS boat that was impounded in Canada when he took refuge there during the storm.  The Canadian entries decided not to compete knowing that Mac Island would be off limits.

The canadian entries didn't decide not to compete because Mac island would be off limits.  It is tough for them to compete when the Canadian's have closed their border to all non-essential, and sailing is considered non-essential.  So US boats that have Canadian residents as crew members have to find alternatives.  The Canadians can't leave their country, it has absolutely nothing to do with the island itself.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how do you get to the cove island buoy without crossing to Canada? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Locus said:

how do you get to the cove island buoy without crossing to Canada? 

BYC dropped the Cove Island course earlier this month.  Only the Shore Course this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought i had heard that, but the latest NOR on the site still shows it. 

Good luck to everyone doing the race

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cubfan said:

The canadian entries didn't decide not to compete because Mac island would be off limits.  It is tough for them to compete when the Canadian's have closed their border to all non-essential, and sailing is considered non-essential.  So US boats that have Canadian residents as crew members have to find alternatives.  The Canadians can't leave their country, it has absolutely nothing to do with the island itself.  

 

GLSS doesn't allow crew.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 3:48 PM, Gangbusters said:

Avatar. He has been since been set free.

Turns out that he wasn't quarantined after all as he didn't enter Canadian territory. Initial word was he Stopped at Drummond but he actually stopped at Port Detour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 11:55 AM, Morgan Crewed said:

BYC dropped the Cove Island course earlier this month.  Only the Shore Course this year.

How do you transit the St Clair River without going across the border?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 7:40 AM, cubfan said:

The canadian entries didn't decide not to compete because Mac island would be off limits.  It is tough for them to compete when the Canadian's have closed their border to all non-essential, and sailing is considered non-essential.  So US boats that have Canadian residents as crew members have to find alternatives.  The Canadians can't leave their country, it has absolutely nothing to do with the island itself.  

 

For Canadians wishing to crew in the race, the Canadian-US land border is closed.  You can't drive across the border or cross by boat unless you are working, with all the valid permits.

However, you can fly between the countries still.  So Canadians that wish to crew for boats in the Mac race just need to fly to the US to do it.

Stupid government rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sidmon said:

How do you transit the St Clair River without going across the border?

Story is that you stay in the international shipping channel to avoid the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything about tis year's Mac sucks and I've done 25+ on each side including some solos.  Chris Clark deserves a medal for his efforts as do those supporting him.  Organizing a race under the best of conditions is hard.  Chris, you're my hero.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And today on the BYC website

Bayview Mackinac Race - Update - June 30, 2020

Current items to update everyone on:

  • The race is NOT canceled

  • On top of the challenge we are already facing it appears that there will likely be more:

    • We have just received information from officials close to the situation that some time before the start of the race there may be a new order to shut down bars and restaurants.

    • This information has credibility given the uptick of cases in some areas of Michigan.

    • The reported date of the shut down would be just a few days before the start of the race.

    • We have attempted to confirm this potential closure through all our sources and one thing that is clear, most believe it is likely to happen, but no one is clear as to how much of the state will be impacted. Some say the entire state, some say just selected relatively small geographic areas.

    • Obviously, this would create unique problems on Mackinac Island since it is a geographically isolated tourist location.

  • Due to this new information:

    • We are extending the withdrawal date as previously defined to 5 July 2020.

    • It is very unlikely that the race will have a finish line personal/trailer on the island.

    • The race will be scored electronically using Yellowbrick.

    • The coal dock will be kept for touch and go.

    • It is unlikely there will be a significant race presence at the coal dock.

    • It will be the boat Owners or PIC's responsibility to return the tracker to Bayview Yacht Club. If possible, we will establish some collection points off Mackinac Island. No Guarantee.

  • We are putting this information out so that people have time to consider and possibly make accommodations for crew at locations other than the Island. If we waited until all the unknowns were known, it would be impossible to adjust accommodations and other travel plans.

  • I know this is asking people to make decisions quickly based on very little information, but I feel we have no other option but to provide you this information and let you make your own decisions.

  • I completely understand that this amount of uncertainty may be yet another last straw for some of you. Please inform Linda (linda@byc.com) or me (mackchair2020@byc.com) ASAP if you are withdrawing from the race.

  • I strongly encourage everyone to focus on the positive. We are racing and very few others are this season. Let's sail hard, have fun and stay safe.

  • Stay Patient and Stay Flexible. The only known this year is there will be more changes.

Chris Clark
Chairman - 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a good update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Geff said:

It's a good update.

Really? If that was a good update, I'd hate to see a bad one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fast Laser said:

Really? If that was a good update, I'd hate to see a bad one.

Chris and his support team are doing the very best they can with what they have to go on, and should be appreciated for his/their efforts.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fast Laser said:

Really? If that was a good update, I'd hate to see a bad one.

It’s a good update in that they’re being very open in telling everyone what’s going on. I’m pretty sure everyone appreciates that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like they are trying to remove all potential club liability. If they want to stop worrying about goalposts, just revise the SI for self-start and self-finish with video or photo showing GPS time and location sent to RC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

It’s a good update in that they’re being very open in telling everyone what’s going on. I’m pretty sure everyone appreciates that. 

Yes, I agree that BYC is doing the best they can in a terrible situation where the goal posts keep moving. Giving the competitors the latest updates about new obstacles is the right thing to do.  My point is, the news just keeps getting worse with more and more restrictions piling on.  Hope the situation improves prior to the race.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Looks like they are trying to remove all potential club liability. If they want to stop worrying about goalposts, just revise the SI for self-start and self-finish with video or photo showing GPS time and location sent to RC.

That's a good idea as well, and what most land based events have gone too as "virtual" races.  Swimming too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Geff said:

That's a good idea as well, and what most land based events have gone too as "virtual" races.  Swimming too.

Think how much time they'd save not having meetings to revise the rules and send out mass emails

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Think how much time they'd save not having meetings to revise the rules and send out mass emails

Right on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, constantc said:

And today on the BYC website

Bayview Mackinac Race - Update - June 30, 2020

Current items to update everyone on:

  • The race is NOT canceled

    On top of the challenge we are already facing it appears that there will likely be more:

    • We have just received information from officials close to the situation that some time before the start of the race there may be a new order to shut down bars and restaurants.

RC got pretty good information.  Late this afternoon our "Supreme Leader" closed all the downstate bars (again).  So pre-race in Port Huron will be dry(er).

But Northern MI and Da UP pubs are still open.  So you can still have a quick one at the Pink Pony while you're doing your touch and go at the coal dock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll miss the shore course, it was FAST and easygoing. Rowdy was IN, but the hoops at the island, touch, go away on the island, dockage ....after the race has caused the withdrawal of the boat from this years MAC before the full refund date passed. This is a new way to loose a race, Quit before it starts. Something new ever year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering if Yellowbrick and Strava could be intergrated, or Strava used in its format for future races as well, even though I am not a big Strava fan in the biking/running world, I could see its merits and usefulness in situations such as this when Yellowbrick isn't available and boats take their own start/finish times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With their focus on COVID-19, the BYC Mac Committee has dropped the ball on entries and accepted one from a Marstrom 32, a high performance beach cat.  Here's a pic.  

41390119_1212585655548391_30218881499377

And here are the Safety Regs for Multihulls for the race.  I lost count at about 30 of the Regs the Marstrom would be very hard pressed to meet.  At a minimum, they should be inspected prior to the race for compliance.  This is beyond ridiculous and the committee needs to do better.  

https://www.bycmack.com/pdf/2020_SER_Multihull.pdf

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people put in lots of time to make sure those multihull safety regs were in place and adhered to.  Too bad they're not being enforced as stringently right now for the Marstrom.  As much as I love that boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Green Dot:  App Completed - Race Approval

Yellow Dot: App Completed - Pending Race Approval

Red Dot:      App Incomplete

2020 BYC Multi Hull.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I almost feel sorry for the delivery crews bring Lake Michigan boats around to Port Huron.

Little to no wind and LOTS of heat.

Are there any flies"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Geff said:

A lot of people put in lots of time to make sure those multihull safety regs were in place and adhered to.  Too bad they're not being enforced as stringently right now for the Marstrom.  As much as I love that boat.

I think the website will accept any entry automatically.  Weather or not that entry is approved is a whole other story.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link