glass

At what point will PLATU 25 with prod and A-sail plane, if ever.

Been having a lot of fun on my Platu 25 in Tauranga, NZ. Last year installed a 900mm long fixed prod and 51 square meter A2.5. 14 knots boat speed in about 20 true wind speed. The Platu is hard work above 15 knots wind speed with a spinnaker - I’m still learning lots with the set up but so far the A sail is fast, fun, easier and safer. Thoroughly recommended.

434494F5-C937-478B-8337-71B411CFFBB7.jpeg

• Like 2

I have hit some good numbers but it doesn’t plane like a Melges or Seascape 24

As noted above it is a handful  over 18 knots of true wind but fun 

great light air giant killer too 

also have a code 0 for distance racing  in tbe light stuff as the standard jib is small

I raced against the platu fleet here in Thailand for many years, and at least with a sym kite never saw any planing and lit up like a sports boat in any condition; while there should not be a reason why they couldn't based on size and power in the rig, but a lot of it is the design brief and wind range as they were created for our Thai conditions here sub 15 knots and mid level sailors during the early 90s IMS type era - the foil package vs. rig makes the boat a bit unstable downwind in a blow (from what I've seen) and the narrowly driven form which makes them sail pretty well upwind means a lack of form stability and no lead bulb so powering up on a reach - the typical range and direction most boats would light up - also not really possible.  Surfing downwind in bursts seems very doable though. Maybe the bigger kite and also flicking a bigger rudder on - the centre of lateral area would shift backwards - so long since I had anything to do with yacht design I would presume it would be a bit draggier and less balanced but a bigger rudder would probably solve some of the control issues downwind.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jetfuel said:

... doesn’t plane like a Melges or Seascape 24

It's something like 1000 pounds (30%?) heavier, IIRC, which significantly affects the SA/D number. 

3 hours ago, sledracr said:

It's something like 1000 pounds (30%?) heavier, IIRC, which significantly affects the SA/D number. 

I own one lol and have sailed all of the above boats :)

It will surf in over 12 knots and gets up on a plane in 18-20 knots.  Melges 24 / J70 will walk by us downwind in a breeze.

Light wind and flat water - its slippery.

Fun boat - sail it like a dingy.

"Ravn" Platu 25 USA-33 here.  As others have mentioned it doesn't really plane like the Melges 24 / J/70 but it does indeed plane. It's no slug however, we see 14-15 knots downwind all the time and we crush the J/70's to windward every day all day in all conditions, so any speed advantage they have downwind doesn't make up the distance we put on them upwind. We are usually mixing it up more with the J/88's and J/105's overall around the course. Also keep in mind the Platu has the advantage of being a VMG downwind machine, so we always sail very very very deep at 14-15+ knots boat speedo in a breeze.  

We have fixed sprit with a Code A3 "hybrid", A2, and a AP symmetrical for chutes.  We use the A sails for distance racing when its tight reaching. The sprit doesn't project farther than the standard spinnaker pole length, so PHRF hit.  

118356329_10223531114810151_1673201820353498394_o.jpg

117915980_10223486959226289_4861786437675635679_o.jpg

• Like 1

Cool to see some of you have done the prod modification already.  In Thailand fleet we only use the original one-design configuration, but there has been discussion of trying this to allow for smaller 'experienced' crew sizes.  I think you'd still need some good rail meat to fly an assym in any wind over about 8 knots true though.   Our max crew weight here is 420kg, but the international rules are now unlimited weight.

As mentioned above, boat is basically unbeatable by anything of similar size upwind in all conditions.   Waterline beam is like a canoe.

Downwind they are a handful.  They don't really plane per-se, just dig big holes in the water, but they will surf pretty well.   They are 1.178 metric tons, so a little heavy but not ridiculous.  With symmetric spinnaker on a Platu and 12+ knots of wind, an asym boat better be VERY well sailed and hit their angles every gybe because Symmetric Platu will sail DDW at 7-8 knots (+ if some waves) in those conditions...  that's a tough VMG to meet sailing angles!

But who needs a spinnaker when you have big waves and 20-30kts of wind! (Actually a local friend said he saw a 46 knot gust on his 70+ foot masthead anemometer that day!)  Taken by yours truly just last month here in Thailand.  15.9 through the water, reefed mainsail ONLY, no chance we'd survive with a kite in that with only 2 POB.   Our previous record was 12.3 knots.

We were pretty stoked as you can hear on the soundtrack :D

https://youtu.be/Z1A3A2V3OLc

11 hours ago, nlmasopust said:

With symmetric spinnaker on a Platu and 12+ knots of wind, an asym boat better be VERY well sailed and hit their angles every gybe because Symmetric Platu will sail DDW at 7-8 knots (+ if some waves) in those conditions...  that's a tough VMG to meet sailing angles!

Exactly! We have to force ourselves on the Platu un-learn sailing "hot" angles, just point it downwind and she's deadly fast!  We usually reel-in the bigger boats doing this.   We don't use the A sails on windward/leeward course, we only use them for long distance racing (IE, when it's a reach for 20+ miles). 

Cool vid!! 

There was a Platu 25 on Ebay in the US the last couple of weeks.  It had a keel issue that needs repairing but otherwise looked to be in good condition.  It's missing from Ebay at the moment otherwise I would have offered the link.

9 hours ago, Schnappi said:

It's back! Kind of figured it would be. Yes, totally agreed. When you factor in what they say, $3,000 to fix it, that's a $13,000 boat and you can find a ready to sail boat like a Melges 24 at that price.

I don't understand the plate of metal in the guys left hand.  Looks too long to be the correct piece or ever connected based on the pattern in the boat I have.  The bolts look like they are not cast into the keel either - something I know nothing about but didn't expect that.

Something new every day.

Cheers!

23 hours ago, Code 2 said:

I don't understand the plate of metal in the guys left hand.  Looks too long to be the correct piece or ever connected based on the pattern in the boat I have.  The bolts look like they are not cast into the keel either - something I know nothing about but didn't expect that.

Something new every day.

Cheers!

I had the same thought about the metal.  It looks like it doesn't belong.  Maybe it's a replacement piece that they bought to fix it.  Who knows.

Must be an interesting story behind the breaking of the keel...   Cast iron, while of course slightly brittle compared to steel, is still very strong.  Welding it is not easy; not sure I'd trust just cutting and welding a piece onto the existing keel which may be what the photo is suggesting.

There are supposedly around 600 Beneteau Platus in Europe.  I went to worlds in 2016 on Lake Lucerne and only 30 were on the line.  Some people I talked to said J/70 had taken over for the most part due to being easier to transport and rig, not to mention can actually get up on a plane downwind.   Anyways, there should be quite a few Platus sitting around doing nothing in Europe right now, probably just needing a good scrub and to be stuffed into a container, and probably less money than this.  Mine here in Thailand was quite a bit more than this asking price, but she's in good shape for her age.

There is a VERY nice example, an original McDell (same as mine) for sale here in Thailand...  but I'd rather she stayed here and helped keep our fleet alive (If the owner would get the thing back out on the water, that is...)

For background on what these were worth new, the 2 XSP Platus here were 1.5 million Thai baht (About USD$50k) delivered CIF with a decent tandem-axle trailer about 8 or 9 years ago.

Standard symmetric they are 0.953 in IRC.

Anyone gotten IRC Cert with Asym?

• Like 1