Sailbydate

2020 SOLO Maitre CoQ - Figaro3 OD

Looking forward to the Figaro3 solo racing later this week, in Les Sables-d'Olonne, Vendée.

Some high profile French skippers are racing, including: Armel Le Cléac'h and Yann Elise. There are also several Brits, including Phil Sharp, Sam Goodchild.

Programme starts on Wednesday 24. There are two coastal races and a two-day offshore race.

https://www.solomaitrecoq.com

9e4131_b42a44d632a040d583be382167d4a6e8~mv2.jpg

images.jpeg

• Like 4

I read a comment the other day about the Bene Figaro3, which surprised me. According to the writer (can't remember where I read it, now. Might have been Irish skipper Tom Dolan's comment) they're a little difficult to keep the water out of. Don't know in what context that was supposed to apply. Anyone have any feedback on this 'dockside rumour'?

Shame the Transat AG2R LA MONDIALE got cancelled back in April. Would have been the first TransAtlantic race for this relatively new OD fleet.

Meantime, an oldie, but a goodie:

https://yachtracing.life/video-figaro-3-downwind-training-in-france/

• Like 1

First boats had these silly plastimo hatches you'll usually use for a locker/inspection hatch to some systems but installed upside down to allow access to casing for foil head - leaked constantly.The hatches are IIa - designed to be installed vertical or on top - overlap + gaskets can't stop seepage water pressure. Those hatches are replaced with bolted hatches (that go inside the casing and on top so as to be a drainage plain and gaskets now).

• Like 2

• Like 1

• Like 1

Phil Sharp is doing well in the mid top ten. Good to see. 

I'm going with experience for Armel or Yann to win and both for the podium. 

Adrien Hardy ran aground but seems to have freed himself and restarted. No word on any damage. 

• Like 1

Yep. Phil is placed 8th at the moment. Doing well. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 11.37.20 AM.png

• Like 1

Slow progress...

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 6.45.36 PM.png

No way to show the skipper names on this tracker ?

Quite annoying !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yl75 said:

Quite annoying !

The tracker is very poor.  And they make you download the app for phone usage.

Yann looking a bit off the pace but Phil S still hanging in there with Armel and co.

• Like 1

Brit, Sam Goodchild doing well aboard, Leyton up in amongst the leading bunch . Go Sam.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.25.23 AM.png

9e4131_577b7baba0974a83ab3e341c2b6d3d7c~mv2.jpeg

8 hours ago, yl75 said:

Quite annoying !

Yep. Pretty unclear, but if you click on any boat icon, skipper's names appears with the usual telemetry. 

5 hours ago, jb5 said:

The tracker is very poor.  And they make you download the app for phone usage.

Yann looking a bit off the pace but Phil S still hanging in there with Armel and co.

Yellowbrick is the data gathering entity, as I understand it, then either geovoile is used to present the data, or they just use the default yellowbrick tracker (that brought you to the 2019 race when clicking on full screen untill sometime today or somthing).

Note : Geovoile will be used for the Vendée Arctique apparently, good news ! :

http://vendeearctique.geovoile.com/2020/tracker/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Yellowbrick is the data gathering entity, as I understand it, then either geovoile is used to present the data, or they just use the default yellowbrick tracker (that brought you to the 2019 race when clicking on full screen untill sometime today or somthing).

Note : Geovoile will be sued for the Vendée Arctique apparently, good news ! :

http://vendeearctique.geovoile.com/2020/tracker/

Slip of the key there hopefully, y175. So much litigious action in the world these days without adding trackers. ;-)

Getting near the business end. Bit of a gybefest down this leg. Hope we get to see some video footage.

Third Brit, Alan Roberts on Seacat Services, just outside top 10 and doing well.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 10.22.58 AM.png

• Like 1

Go Sam, go you good thing.

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 10.22.52 PM.png

Pretty exciting finish. Hope we get some great video.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Pretty exciting finish. Hope we get some great video.

Good race but hard to follow.  Armel got back up into a good finishing position and Phil Sharpe looks to be just outside the top 10 in a consistent performance.  Yann E didn't seem to get into the battle much but he has just picked up one of his old sponsors for the Figaro which should help.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

A win by 20 seconds! Congratulations, Tom Laperche, Sam Goodchild and Pierre Leboucher . 1 minute, 59 seconds covering the podium.

9e4131_d7dcc4ce2e604a8d8f7f2a5ad06756ff~mv2.jpeg

Edited by Sailbydate
Pic
  • Like 1

• Like 2

Phil Sharp had decent speed except for the last leg...
And yeah, the Fig has been for a long time a hard class to succeed in. Nice to see Goodchild performing very well. Is good for the class too.

• Like 1

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jb5 said:

Said, Sharp, "“The final leg was like controlling a wild bull! The boat was a nightmare and I have never experienced anything quite like it before..." .

Interesting, JB. I wonder if it was actually boat issues or maybe, physical handling (lack of sleep, for example) issues?

Shame. But a valuable Figaro3 experience none-the-less.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Sailbydate said:

Said, Sharp, "“The final leg was like controlling a wild bull! The boat was a nightmare and I have never experienced anything quite like it before..." .

Interesting, JB. I wonder if it was actually boat issues or maybe, physical handling (lack of sleep, for example) issues?

Shame. But a valuable Figaro3 experience none-the-less.

Not sure about how much time he has had on the boat, probably not anything like as much as many of the others, so I'd guess a learning experience in a very competitive environment combined with the spinnaker issue. Le Figaro should be very interesting to follow. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

More on Phil's handling struggles on the run home, from the SA, Front Page story:

https://sailinganarchy.com/2020/06/29/started-from-the-bottom-3/

There goes that 'front page' thing again :huh:  Good to see, I just have to remember to look....

Seriously though, Phil posts some good stuff from time to time on his (or his sponsors) site (link below) and on the Twit etc.  Great sailor.

https://oceanslab.world/

• Like 2