Sign in to follow this  
us7070

Harken Jib Lead

You'll have to check the lead angle for your winch and then do some math to figure out the correct distance.

I was going to buy and install those, but ended up making these instead.  They install on the very aft end of the tracks (second picture) and solved my override issues without having to drill any more holes in my deck.  

IMG_0315-L.jpg

They live on the very aft end of my tracks:

i-cLVJ9p9-L.jpg

6 minutes ago, Alex W said:

You'll have to check the lead angle for your winch and then do some math to figure out the correct distance.

so, the manual will specify an angle with respect to the deck that the line should take when it approaches the winch?

why do you have two rings..?  other than to have something to tie together...

I am pretty sure that solution will not work - this boat has a non-overlapping jib, and i think the track ends too far from the winch

Yes, the winch will say what the approach angle is.  Here Harken says 5-8 degrees: https://www.harken.com/article.aspx?id=15885.  Lewmar says 5-10 degrees.

Yes, I have two so that I could get them closer to the bottom of the adjustable car.  The ideal thing for me would be the hardware that you show on an adjustable car, but no one makes that.  I use the second ring for our guys (which are run to the primary winch when we're flying a kite).

For your lateral position you can just run a line from the jib car to the winch, your jib lead needs to intersect that line.

thanks - as you say.., 8deg is what i saw in some harken manuals.

i am not sure of my exact model, it's harken, but not a current winch.., so i will check when i get on the boat.

i basically was never getting overrides - until a crowded mark rounding a few days ago...

Another option... Bungee through PVC across the side deck just in front of the winch.  Looks a little wonky, but it definitely works.IMG_7094.thumb.jpeg.561c4425f4591481161be3d6ab78e1b7.jpeg

• Like 1