Jules

Getting Tough With The Maskless

From an article in the Chicago Tribune

The best pro-health sign I’ve seen this pandemic is the one posted at both North Side locations of the Chicago Bagel Authority sandwich shop:

“To accommodate anti-maskers,” it says, “we have provided a space 40 feet west where you can stare at your reflection in the window since apparently you’re the only person you care about.”

The point is to underscore a message that seems slowly to be seeping into the public consciousness, that covering your mouth and nose with cloth or other semipermeable material when you’re likely to be near strangers in public settings displays courtesy, not fear.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/eric-zorn/ct-column-masks-facial-coverings-coronavirus-bagel-zorn-20200623-nz3x4m7mirhvpdcrvrfnan4rmu-story.html

• Like 8

I like the idea of masks when inside where social distancing is not a guarantee.  But if you're outside where social distancing is easy, then no need for masks. 

I wish our politicians would first apply common sense and reason instead of simply making knee-jerk reactions.

• Like 3

Years ago I went into a liquor store to buy some Appletons, the Asian guy serving had a mask on and I asked him why because I was curious after years of seeing only Asian people wear them. He said he was feeling unwell with a cold, so dumbarse here asks yeah but why the mask how is that going to help? He said Oh no its not about me its about protecting you!

I was humbled by his genuine social responsibility, the whitey tighteys in our office would come in all the time coughing and spluttering with out a thought about the next man.

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Jules said:

I like the idea of masks when inside where social distancing is not a guarantee.  But if you're outside where social distancing is easy, then no need for masks. 

I wish our politicians would first apply common sense and reason instead of simply making knee-jerk reactions.

Unfortunately, most Americans don't want to do whats right for everyone, and only want to do, what they want to do. 

They think its just big government trying to control their lives....

Start by getting Americans to work together like a team, then maybe, just maybe, you'll have a starting point, for solving a few issues down there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keith said:

Unfortunately, most Americans don't want to do whats right for everyone, and only want to do, what they want to do. 

Start by getting Americans to work together like a team, then maybe, just maybe, you'll have a starting point, for solving a few issues down there.

remember there is no i in Team America 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jules said:

If only that were part of their required qualifications for the job rather than solely 'raise lots of money' and 'convince a lot of people to like you every 2/4/6 years'

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Keith said:

Our politicians are only thinking of themselves so why not the people, too? 

Imagine where we'd be If our politicians had deferred to the experts in the medicine and science professions rather than focusing on the polls and their party. 

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

Watching the video in the attached BBC story reminds me why I have so little faith in democracy....these people are allowed to vote.

The good people of Palm Beach County on compulsory masks.

There should be an IQ test and a minimum level to determine if you should be added to the electoral roll  or stand for office.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

There should be an IQ test and a minimum level to determine if you should be added to the electoral roll  or stand for office.

Yes, the trouble with democracy is that it is the worst form of government except for all others that have been tried.

Given the power to exclude from electoral rolls I would bar a large share of the population. The trouble is that someone else withat power might choose to bar me...

I long ago concluded that the best form of government would be a democratic dictatorship. The country is lead by a dictator who is kept in check by a democratic parliament. The parliament controls the police and army and ensures that the dictator abides by the constitution. As long as as he does what's best for the country, he stays in the job.

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

Watching the video in the attached BBC story reminds me why I have so little faith in democracy....these people are allowed to vote.

'They want to throw God's wonderful breathing system out'

What about God's wonderful viruses?  Masks would just make it harder to allow God's wonderful viruses to infect us.  

But why stop there?

Get rid of sunscreen so God's wonderful sun can burn our skin and give us cancer!

Stop drug manufacturers from killing God's wonderful germs and bacteria!

We should also stop harvesting God's wonderful fruits and vegetables and allow them to live!

But whatever you do, don't stop corporations from polluting the air and waters, tearing up the land, paying their workers as little as possible, because that would hurt God's wonderful profits!

• Like 1

Why is wearing a mask in public such a burden?   Surely a small price to pay if it  helps slow the virus's spread.  The "you're trampling on my constitutional rights" crowd is being silly.  Why aren't they  complaining about the law requiring we all wear pants in public?

18 hours ago, Keith said:

Not Most...  Just the fucking idiots.

If you think a mask inhibits your ability to breathe comfortably, wait 'till you see what COVID-19 will do for ya!

I honestly don't understand why people have such an issue with it, other than it was made to be a very specific political issue. The ONLY reason to not wear one, is because "my tribe says this is bullshit". I hope that none of the anti-maskers, anti-vacc'ers,  and anti anything that isn't totally self serving, don't ever have to experience losing a loved one to there selfishness.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jubblies said:

If you think a mask inhibits your ability to breathe comfortably, wait 'till you see what COVID-19 will do for ya!

This needs to be on billboards

• Like 2

If you are so tough...next time you have surgery ask the surgeon to skip the mask, gloves and hand washing.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jubblies said:

I honestly don't understand why people have such an issue with it, other than it was made to be a very specific political issue. The ONLY reason to not wear one, is because "my tribe says this is bullshit". I hope that none of the anti-maskers, anti-vacc'ers,  and anti anything that isn't totally self serving, don't ever have to experience losing a loved one to there selfishness.

Meanwhile folks working in clinical care have to wear a mask during the entire shift. 

Saying a mask inhibits your breathing is like saying your underwear inhibits your farting.

2 hours ago, axolotl said:

Saying a mask inhibits your breathing is like saying your underwear inhibits your farting.

We don't even mandate N95s or proper face seal - we're just asking people to reduce the virility and spread. Like... if you and I agree to 20% reduction, with your mask and my mask and stay 5 meters apart, we can literally be safe. 

But noooooo.  

On 6/24/2020 at 11:58 AM, Jules said:

making knee-jerk reactions.

Knee-jerk?

Wearing a mask during a global pandemic isn't common sense?

46 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Knee-jerk?

Wearing a mask during a global pandemic isn't common sense?

If you're outside and social distancing is easily done, like out jogging alone, no need to wear a mask.  So why make them do it?

1 hour ago, Jules said:

If you're outside and social distancing is easily done, like out jogging alone, no need to wear a mask.  So why make them do it?

Because although such activity is low risk I live in a metropolis where social distancing is generally ignored and jogging paths/restrooms/parking lots are congested. I'd say if you're jogging alone, go mask free if you're at least 10 yards from anybody on a windy day but have a mask around your neck if somebody has to pass within 6 feet of you, or in an enclosure.   If you're around people pop it up to cover your face.

Local regs here require masks in buildings, transit,  busy streets,  but when doing recreational/exercise activities in public parks, etc. masks are not required to be worn but you must have one available to deploy if you enter a congested area.  Not a big deal and it may slow down the pandemic.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KC375 said:

Apparently "Parks & Recreation" was a lot more realistic in their presentation of public fora than any of us realized.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shaggy said:

Not Most...  Just the fucking idiots selfish, entitled assholes.

FTFY

5 hours ago, Jubblies said:

This is 100% entirely what it is.

You have a president and a VP who flagrantly refuse to wear masks while downplaying the risks to everyone.

Then you have a president saying stupid shit like "some people are wearing masks to make a statement against me."

Meanwhile, at Fox News....

This is public healthcare, it is criminally irresponsible politicize it.

If Trump had worn a mask and said "Wear this, be responsible, save lives" we would not be having this problem.

10 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

I long ago concluded that the best form of government would be a democratic dictatorship. The country is lead by a dictator who is kept in check by a democratic parliament. The parliament controls the police and army and ensures that the dictator abides by the constitution. As long as as he does what's best for the country, he stays in the job.

That is actually pretty similar to the American presidential system. The problem is that politicians who control the "democratic government" have a vested interest in getting a toady elected who will conform to their wishes. They then ensure that the parliament is seriously compromised in its ability to control the president's behaviour and abide by the constitution.

Unfortunately, democracy assumes that those in power have the interests of all the people as their primary concern. But democracy has been hacked to the point where the most powerful elected official on earth gets the job with a tick from just 46.1% of the 55.7% who even bother to vote. So as long as you can get 26% of voters to vote for you in just the right places, you're in. That highly motivates candidates to appeal to a bunch of special groups groups who will vote for specific issues, even where every other aspect of the candidate is abhorrent to them (such as christian evangelicals voting for an irreligious, sexist, racist, womanising, multi–divorcee because they think he'll stack the supreme court and they can overturn some landmark decisions they disagree with). It also leads to candidates who sew division, fear and hate because is stops people from voting, especially when it disenfranchises your opponent more than you (such as tell outright lies about voting by mail, even when you, and the party you represent, use it a lot).

The problem for the republicans is that Trump really has no scruples and will throw anyone under a bus (or just shoot them in the street) to ensure his own aggrandisement. They seriously misjudged just how terrible a president he would be. They got their 30 pieces of silver with massive tax cuts for themselves and their rich mates, even though it meant a reduction in cheap labour through immigration cuts that their businesses rely on to remain profitable (a sop to another special interest group to buy a few votes). But now they're seeing him directly threaten their voters by withdrawing federal support for testing that is one component of the only effective measures for a disease that infects and kills at an alarming rate. And doesn't care about your political views.

Once they see Trump as a dead duck, they'll turn on him. I expect if he loses the election in November he'll in jail within 12 months, and nobody will give a shit.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, shaggy said:

Not Most...  Just the fucking idiots.

Well, looks like there’s whole lot of idiots down there.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Apparently "Parks & Recreation" was a lot more realistic in their presentation of public fora than any of us realized.

Leslie Knope for president.

But seriously can you imagine how soul destroying it must be if you go into local politics to do good and you realize these are the people whose lives you are trying to better.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

This is 100% entirely what it is.

You have a president and a VP who flagrantly refuse to wear masks while downplaying the risks to everyone.

Then you have a president saying stupid shit like "some people are wearing masks to make a statement against me."

Meanwhile, at Fox News....

This is public healthcare, it is criminally irresponsible politicize it.

If Trump had worn a mask and said "Wear this, be responsible, save lives" we would not be having this problem.

You do realize how simple the solution is, right?  Get a bunch of red masks made with MAGA printed on them and sell them outside the Trump rallies. Those muppets will buy anything with MAGA printed on it. Once a few people fall for it, the rest will think “oh, I guess masks are good now or there wouldn’t be MAGA ones.”  Next thing you know, you’re selling them faster than the hats!  

Meanwhile, all the media coverage of the crowds at the rallies would show mask wearing people. The trend catches on...  Dumb people are easy to manipulate. 

9 hours ago, Keith said:

Well, looks like there’s whole lot of idiots down there.  

Yes

3 hours ago, Monkey said:

You do realize how simple the solution is, right?  Get a bunch of red masks made with MAGA printed on them and sell them outside the Trump rallies. Those muppets will buy anything with MAGA printed on it. Once a few people fall for it, the rest will think “oh, I guess masks are good now or there wouldn’t be MAGA ones.”  Next thing you know, you’re selling them faster than the hats!  

Meanwhile, all the media coverage of the crowds at the rallies would show mask wearing people. The trend catches on...  Dumb people are easy to manipulate. 

They’d have to be the masks with the valve.  The ones California has banned.  Cheap!   Too hot otherwise.  Creatures of comfort.  ;):o:ph34r:  Worried about o2 levels they are.  Being sheep.  Cheap dye job comes off on their faces after 20 minutes.  Red faced Trump Supporters.  Switch to orange!  Yay!  Cheap dye job on valved masks turns into meme.  Long orange MAGA bandanas stain the collar- even t shirts!  Orange becomes new Red.  Trump campaign reborn! :)  Orange faces sweep 2020 elections! :D  Then most die. :huh:  Jim Jordan becomes President.  Pushes big red button.  God sorts us out.  -_-  -_- -_-

‘Bye the way, the states need to hand out an n95 To those who want one.  (I know, I’ve said it before). Maybe one a month.  Because even in Washington State, the order is not going to work.  People at the local Marinas aren’t masking, Even staff, because ‘you know,  we’re outside!  How many docks are 6’ wide?  Or 8’? Face the fact- wearing a cloth mask is a wistful prayer.  A chance at heaven, maybe.  People of good will thrown to the lions  of self indulgence for the usual reasons.  

23 hours ago, axolotl said:

you inhale your farts? Now that's new and different... 

Wait what? Calif banned masksceith exhale valves? Whilevallowingvsurgicsl and honemade?

Thatsvfuckedvin tge hrsd

11 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Wait what? Calif banned masksceith exhale valves? Whilevallowingvsurgicsl and honemade?

Thatsvfuckedvin tge hrsd

Nice try @Snaggletooth  :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Thatsvfuckedvin tge hrsd

If it’s a cloth mask with an exhale valve, it’s pointless, except for some sort of 20% fashion statement, maybe.......    Surgical and homemade masks without a valve at least keep mucus and some particles in, or slowed down.  Would you wear a cloth mask with an inhale valve?  That might work, if you think about it....

But filtered >n95 masks with no valves protecting breathing in and breathing out would be better.  But that seems to violate some unwritten law.  I don’t understand why factories here aren’t making billions of them.

(Edit: and before I could post this, it looks like irony struck, fast? ^^^^ :o). ($smasgletoptj?)

filter tech:

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/can-masks-capture-coronavirus/

The federal gubmint is dead in the water on this issue and so it will fall to state and local, if people don't want to wear a mask then have them sign a "will not require the services of a hospital and please do not resuscitate ", better still just wait for the insurance companies to say, oh, you weren't wearing a mask sorry if you're that stupid we can't insure you.

12 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

The federal gubmint is dead in the water on this issue and so it will fall to state and local, if people don't want to wear a mask then have them sign a "will not require the services of a hospital and please do not resuscitate ", better still just wait for the insurance companies to say, oh, you weren't wearing a mask sorry if you're that stupid we can't insure you.

That works fine if the purpose of the mask is to protect the wearer.

In fact the purpose is as much or more to protect others from the wearer.

I wonder if you could use stand your ground legislation. He came at me recklessly unmasked so I shot him to protect myself.

1 hour ago, Amati said:

If it’s a cloth mask with an exhale valve, it’s pointless, except for some sort of 20% fashion statement, maybe.......    Surgical and homemade masks without a valve at least keep mucus and some particles in, or slowed down.  Would you wear a cloth mask with an inhale valve?  That might work, if you think about it....

But filtered >n95 masks with no valves protecting breathing in and breathing out would be better.  But that seems to violate some unwritten law.  I don’t understand why factories here aren’t making billions of them.

(Edit: and before I could post this, it looks like irony struck, fast? ^^^^ :o). ($smasgletoptj?)

filter tech:

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/can-masks-capture-coronavirus/

I went to CA site and there is no mention at all of valves.
Fact of the matter is that even with a valve, your spray is still getting stopped.

2 minutes ago, KC375 said:

That works fine if the purpose of the mask is to protect the wearer.

In fact the purpose is as much or more to protect others from the wearer.

I wonder if you could use stand your ground legislation. He came at me recklessly unmasked so I shot him to protect myself.

I like the way you do your thinking, we just have to come up with a way where unmasked gun nuts shoot other unmasked gun nuts in a way that's justified .

An accelerated thinning of the herd naturally for the good of the rest.

• Like 1

Wait till our resident “y’all are all historical soft pussies” but “be civil to me I want to visit Australia” is going to say this week when the Texas Arizona and Florida issues explode. 

Whine about getting tested and not dying ?

48 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I went to CA site and there is no mention at all of valves.
Fact of the matter is that even with a valve, your spray is still getting stopped.

No, not stopped when they are an exhaust mask, ir the valve itself is not filtered.  Inhaling valves will work for your spray going out, but not from unmasked or exhaust valve mask wearers.  If you doubt this, put your hand it front of an exhaust valves mask- it will become moist from your unfiltered breath.  

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks 

1 minute ago, Amati said:

No, not stopped when they are an exhaust mask, ir the valve itself is not filtered.  Inhaling valves will work for your spray going out, but not from unmasked or exhaust valve mask wearers.  If you doubt this, put your hand it front of an exhaust valves mask- it will become moist from your unfiltered breath.  

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/personal-protective-equipment-infection-control/n95-respirators-surgical-masks-and-face-masks 

On the clinical side when ppl are using N95s, they’re overlaying fabric “cute” covers that nursing staff customized/popularized to be less intimidating to patients and kids. 

14 minutes ago, Miffy said:

On the clinical side when ppl are using N95s, they’re overlaying fabric “cute” covers that nursing staff customized/popularized to be less intimidating to patients and kids. 

I’ve been doing that myself (we have 2 old n95’s from back when I had a shop)  - when I know the going will get really sporty-  it’s a weird gestalt-  the public stance of fearless freedom, but show up with something we all should have at least one per person per month, and the fear flies.  There is no reason that any advanced industrialized society should be relying on homemade or under performing PPE.  This is unconscionable.  And the weird thing thing is, here in Washington State, Trump et al has been fighting us on every level from the very beginning.  WHAT THE FUCK?  At some point,  medical personnel will have what they need-  do we normal folk finally, then, get what we need?  Something really sick and sadistic is going on here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amati said:

I’ve been doing that myself (we have 2 old n95’s from back when I had a shop)  - when I know the going will get really sporty-  it’s a weird gestalt-  the public stance of fearless freedom, but show up with something we all should have at least one per person per month, and the fear flies.  There is no reason that any advanced industrialized society should be relying on homemade or under performing PPE.  This is unconscionable.  And the weird thing thing is, here in Washington State, Trump et al has been fighting us on every level from the very beginning.  WHAT THE FUCK?  At some point,  medical personnel will have what they need-  do we normal folk finally, then, get what we need?  Something really sick and sadistic is going on here.

I had a sleeve of 17 of 20 new in my stock from boat workband oainting. I tried to give to Yale but they only took unoprned.

Fuck em. They are mine. I paid for them. "Critical supplies" . Fuck em. I've got boats to fix.

15 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

I had a sleeve of 17 of 20 new in my stock from boat workband oainting. I tried to give to Yale but they only took unoprned.

Fuck em. They are mine. I paid for them. "Critical supplies" . Fuck em. I've got boats to fix.

This is what we’ve been reduced to. It is possible to easily sterilize them, but God bless the Ivy's.  We’re all on our own.  Trump rules.  The slow walk to Anarchy (apologies Ed...)

24 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

Remember it isn’t about you. It is institutional risk evaluation. You don’t want clinical staff relying on non-standard supplies everyday with an expectation it works to find out the random received stuff doesn’t. 

in re US response? Taiwanese gov took over factories, barred export of masks until it could increase production to behind a million a day - then it started allowing rationed exports. 

also not hiding information unlike some. 

49 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Remember it isn’t about you. It is institutional risk evaluation. You don’t want clinical staff relying on non-standard supplies everyday with an expectation it works to find out the random received stuff doesn’t. 

in re US response? Taiwanese gov took over factories, barred export of masks until it could increase production to behind a million a day - then it started allowing rationed exports. 

Yes. True all that. But here it is in fact "every man for himself" and in that paradigm, I say fuck 'em. They're my masks and I paid for them.

2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

IM sorry to hear that. I am on staff in the Yale Healthcare system and we have valued every N95 mask we can get our hands on. Post here next time and I will be happy to take a couple and make sure they find a good home. Many of us have been finding our own supply .  In all honesty, I think we are through the worst of the shortage.....although the CN95s from China are nothing like as comfortable over a 10 hours shift as a good ole MM>

If I could quickly respond to those who seem reluctant to wear a mask. I posted back in early March that wearing masks would be a crucial.

It is very simple. The virus is respiratory. It is very inefficient. It spreads by shedding thousands and thousands , and hoping a couple attach.  If the host wears a mask and the prospective host wears a mask then you reduce the probability of infection by more than 10X.   Please remember this is like a war.  If we reduce the reproduction rate , Rx, significantly we win.  With an Rx of 2, one host infects 2 new people and cases grow logarithmic pace, if you reduce that by 10x to 0.2 than 1000 people will infect 200, 200 people will infect 40, 40 people will infect 8, 8 people will infect 1 and then the disease is defeated!  It is unpatriotic and defeatist not to wear a mask.   NOT wearing a mask is akin to wearing a "Make China Great Again "  baseball cap. They have largely defeated the virus and are letting their economy pull further ahead.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Miffy said:

I respect the inferential statistics involved.  When people intentionally don’t wear masks, get angry and act out at people who are cloth masked, crowding, yelling, and spitting with NO repercussions other than a shrug, it’s hard to keep any intellectual distance, or disinterested love alive.Tourist season started yesterday, and while 70-80% of people we saw downtown were masked, the unmasked were rude, loud, close, and threatening.  We were just marks with cloth masks.  Trying to avoid the proudly unmasked.  Some unmasked laughed when people ran away.  We were driving through, and guys were spitting out of pickup trucks, flags flying.  Sheriffs deputies were unmasked.  I wish we were in New Zealand, but we’re not.  Institutional risk evaluation at this level is akin to the Black  - Scholes equation- it fails when exposed to irrational behavior. Irrational behavior is not built into the modeling assumptions  Trump?  Promises made, promises kept. All against all. Ok boomer? Eat this!

We live outside of a small resort town that we sail out of. Two weeks ago, our county had 4 recorded cases of covid-19. This week, a bar tender at a popular dive bar, and a restaurant worker, both tested positive. Tally yesterday was 24 confirmed cases. 

I asked the crew on the boat I drive to please mask up today. Town was packed, as flocks of people always invade our community on the 4th of July. Nobody, I mean nobody had any sort of mask on.

Walked down the dock with mine on, with lots of looks and people avoiding me (good), setup the boat, then retreated to my car for a sandwich and water. Returned, and none of our crew had masks on, until the saw me, and one by one they all put them on. We were the only boat, people for that matter, to wear masks. I thanked them all afterwards,  especially the boat owner. We had a good day on the water, and more importantly,  hopefully set a good example.

I just don't get it. It is so easy and requires less sunscreen too. So why not?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Varan said:

We live outside of a small resort town that we sail out of. Two weeks ago, our county had 4 recorded cases of covid-19. This week, a bar tender at a popular dive bar, and a restaurant worker, both tested positive. Tally yesterday was 24 confirmed cases. 

I asked the crew on the boat I drive to please mask up today. Town was packed, as flocks of people always invade our community on the 4th of July. Nobody, I mean nobody had any sort of mask on.

Walked down the dock with mine on, with lots of looks and people avoiding me (good), setup the boat, then retreated to my car for a sandwich and water. Returned, and none of our crew had masks on, until the saw me, and one by one they all put them on. We were the only boat, people for that matter, to wear masks. I thanked them all afterwards,  especially the boat owner. We had a good day on the water, and more importantly,  hopefully set a good example.

I just don't get it. It is so easy and requires less sunscreen too. So why not?

Motivations are nothing, motivations are everything.  Dying to know?  Trying to get up the nerve to take the boat in for the delayed yearly $$$ bloodletting- requires ferries, driving to a (Red) county that has a spike in COVID cases, etc etc.  Shouldn’t be nerve wracking.......more than usual, at any rate......  

15 hours ago, EYESAILOR said:

IM sorry to hear that. I am on staff in the Yale Healthcare system and we have valued every N95 mask we can get our hands on. Post here next time and I will be happy to take a couple and make sure they find a good home. Many of us have been finding our own supply .  In all honesty, I think we are through the worst of the shortage.....although the CN95s from China are nothing like as comfortable over a 10 hours shift as a good ole MM>

If I could quickly respond to those who seem reluctant to wear a mask. I posted back in early March that wearing masks would be a crucial.

It is very simple. The virus is respiratory. It is very inefficient. It spreads by shedding thousands and thousands , and hoping a couple attach.  If the host wears a mask and the prospective host wears a mask then you reduce the probability of infection by more than 10X.   Please remember this is like a war.  If we reduce the reproduction rate , Rx, significantly we win.  With an Rx of 2, one host infects 2 new people and cases grow logarithmic pace, if you reduce that by 10x to 0.2 than 1000 people will infect 200, 200 people will infect 40, 40 people will infect 8, 8 people will infect 1 and then the disease is defeated!  It is unpatriotic and defeatist not to wear a mask.   NOT wearing a mask is akin to wearing a "Make China Great Again "  baseball cap. They have largely defeated the virus and are letting their economy pull further ahead.

Where to find them?  A nasty third rail here, vague evasions, uttered desperately (When I typed ‘desperately’, spell check suggested Sarah Teasdale :lol:) certain-

‘um had them for a while’,  (The date says 2020)

‘are they real?’  

‘Of course....’

It only gets worse. Lions Club smarty canceled the traditional 4th of July parade, charity auction, street dance and fireworks. A new right to celebrate independence day group obtained permits to revive the parade, etc., and expanded it to include 3'-legged races, softball..,. A single donor covered the fireworks

On 6/29/2020 at 8:37 PM, Varan said:

It only gets worse. Lions Club smarty canceled the traditional 4th of July parade, charity auction, street dance and fireworks. A new right to celebrate independence day group obtained permits to revive the parade, etc., and expanded it to include 3'-legged races, softball..,. A single donor covered the fireworks

WOW, Just WOW...  I wanted to say good on em, let em get infected, but this is almost too much.  Who are these idiots?? 

I mean, My own father is immune compromised as he just went through Kemo, has no organs left and is still going through Immunotherapy.  Frankly, he should be dead.  Anyway, he is still planning on going to the 1000 islands to hang on the boat next week.  I get it, He is 85, He thinks it is his last hurrah, but does not excuse the stupidity.  

Sure he will wear one:  NYT July 1

"Mr. Trump spoke less skeptically about masks on Wednesday than he has in the past. Asked whether Americans should be required to wear them, he said: “Well, I don’t know if you need mandatory because you have many places in the country where people stay very long distance. You talk about social distancing. But I’m all for masks. I think masks are good. I would wear one if I were in a group of people and I was close.”

Mr. Trump added that he “sort of liked” the way he looked in a mask.

“It was a dark black mask,” he said, “and I thought it looked OK. I looked like the Lone Ranger.”

Mr. Trump also said on Wednesday that he believed the virus was “going to sort of just disappear,” even as cases rise rapidly across the nation.

We shouldn't even acknowledge the childish arguments made against wearing a mask.  We should simply mandate the wearing of masks. 

Parents don't enter into a debate when their child insists on doing something foolish or harmful, they just put their foot down and let the child know what the rules are and the consequences for not following the rules. 

We need to do the same with anti-maskers.

Wearing is caring.

On 6/24/2020 at 9:22 PM, toad said:

remember there is no i in Team America 

Well. except one

• Like 1

50,000 new cases in the US in the last 24 hours. Can we call it out of control at this point?  

isnt going to magically just disappear......?

everything is under control....

17 hours ago, Zonker said:

“It was a dark black mask,” he said…

"Dark black"? That would be, err, black. 

…“and I thought it looked OK. I looked like the Lone Ranger.”

An eye mask isn't going to help with airborne diseases…

5efdc6e74210b.image.png?resize=750,422

https://www.stltoday.com/news/trump-says-he-looks-like-lone-ranger-in-a-mask---and-he-likes/article_5a10204d-c08e-516d-b07d-d1e7f2edf8f7.html

22 minutes ago, dacapo said:

everything is under control....

remain-calm.jpg?w=768&h=528

I haive heared thisse befiore..............              :)

• Like 1

Finally Texas requiring masks, way late. Let's see if Florida will wake up.

I really need to get back to my boat in Panama, but at this rate of infection in the US I don't see any prospect that Panama will open to flights from the US anytime soon, especially with most flights being from Florida and Texas.

Record daily numbers for new covid cases three days straight, but fourth of july festivities are still one, including the watermelon eating contest. But there was one concession. The watermelon seed spitting contest has been cancelled.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:35 AM, dacapo said:

Well. except one

There’s no us in USA?

On 7/2/2020 at 5:07 PM, toad said:

isnt going to magically just disappear......?

Well, it is summer now...

April 23, 2020

President Donald Trump said Thursday evening that the spread of COVID-19 could be drastically slowed by the onset of warmer and more humid weather during a Coronavirus Task Force press briefing, citing data from the Department of Homeland Security.

William Bryan, the science and technology adviser to the secretary of DHS, presented the results of a study that showed “increased temperature, humidity and sunlight are detrimental to COVID-19 in saliva droplets on surfaces and in the air,” with the longevity of the virus on nonporous surfaces falling drastically when temperatures of 95 degrees, 80% humidity and summer sunlight are applied.

“Maybe this goes away with heat and light. It seems like that’s the case,” the president speculated. “I think a lot of people are going to go outside all of a sudden.”

Trump cited the data as evidence that he was correct when he had previously suggested that warmer weather would stop the spread of the disease.

How many masks can you count at Trump's Mt Rushmore self indulgence:

03virus-briefing-rally-sub-articleLarge.

2020-07-04T042213Z_1607617117_RC24MH9VFJ

I found one in the first image and four in the second. That ought to protect the herd.

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

How many masks can you count at Trump's Mt Rushmore self indulgence:

03virus-briefing-rally-sub-articleLarge.

2020-07-04T042213Z_1607617117_RC24MH9VFJ

I found one in the first image and four in the second. That ought to protect the herd.

These are the people spreading COVID ^^^ and making life worse for the the rest of us.

In the morning's Couer d'Alene Press:

“I can't wear a mask because I'm a patriot,"" said Janice Tollett of suburban Airway Heights, who showed up at Inslee's Spokane meeting to protest the mask order.

“The First Amendment right is why I don't wear a mask,'' Tollett said. “I just want our country back.''

2 hours ago, Varan said:

“I can't wear a mask because I'm a patriot,"" said Janice Tollett of suburban Airway Heights, who showed up at Inslee's Spokane meeting to protest the mask order.

Patriots don't put themselves first.

Patriots don't spread disease to their fellow countrymen.

Patriots don't please adversarial countries.

Patriots don't hide behind the flag.

• Like 2

And on the other side of the pond neither masks nor distance

0f5ae55c-6c72-4caf-8eef-2eda98504b5c.jpg

c2c48c25-a982-4d10-964d-8726d0d448e0.jpg

Well, its simple,  look for more cases in a few weeks time.

You just cant fix stupid on either side of the pond.

The problem with Darwin...

Collateral damage while he works his selection on the maskless.

• Like 1

One can only hope that stupidity is a co-morbidity.

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

The problem with Darwin...

Collateral damage while he works his selection on the maskless.

I am starting to question Darwin's theories. It's been like 100 years and people are just getting stupider. The idiots here are true idiots and damn proud of it.

• Like 1

Will Americans who voted for him tire of his "'reality' TV" brand of "leadership?"

On 7/4/2020 at 9:32 AM, Varan said:

In the morning's Couer d'Alene Press:

“The First Amendment right is why I don't wear a mask,'' Tollett said. “I just want our country back.''

The mask hides her mouth!  Of course! And now that I think on it,  sounds about right- you can’t exercise the first amendment if your mouth is hidden!  Who’d know it was you?  And circular logic!

On 6/25/2020 at 10:38 AM, El Boracho said:

If you are so tough...next time you have surgery ask the surgeon to skip the mask, gloves and hand washing.

At least he’ll be exercising his 1st amendment rights!  

On 7/4/2020 at 4:26 PM, Varan said:

I am starting to question Darwin's theories. It's been like 100 years and people are just getting stupider. The idiots here are true idiots and damn proud of it.

The theory is not that they are better it is that they are more survivable over X thousand years versus their wives families who are from Jersey Shore who couldn't survive without daily botox injections.

On 7/4/2020 at 4:16 PM, Keith said:

Well, its simple,  look for more cases in a few weeks time.

You just cant fix stupid on either side of the pond.

You may not need to wait that long

Doctors say the US is in a 'free fall' with coronavirus as 32 states struggle with higher rates of infection

On 7/2/2020 at 6:50 AM, Jules said:

We shouldn't even acknowledge the childish arguments made against wearing a mask.  We should simply mandate the wearing of masks. 

Parents don't enter into a debate when their child insists on doing something foolish or harmful, they just put their foot down and let the child know what the rules are and the consequences for not following the rules. 

We need to do the same with anti-maskers.

Wearing is caring.

For Seat Belts, it was "Click It or Ticket"

For Masks, it should be "Mask It or Casket"

• Like 3