Sign in to follow this  
Sisu3360

Help me out with some MORC History

Recommended Posts

After a five year adventure with a MacGregor 25 we impulse-bought off the side of the highway (go ahead and get your laughs out - we actually tuned it up and had a blast racing it and being way more competitive than we had any right to be), I'm boat shopping again. This time, I'm looking for a first-generation fiberglass boat with MORC pedigree in the 24-27 foot range. I like the idea of having a boat with classic lines, with the structural strength of 60s-era fiberglass construction. There are a few other boats like this in our fleet, so it would be fun to get a little group of early modern classics together. I'm looking at the Yankee Dolphin 24 and the Pearson Ariel/Commander and Renegade. What else should I be looking at? My budget is 5-6K, and if I can find something cheaper that I can clean up and have cash left over for sails and rigging, that's a plus. I know there are other boats that fit this description but I'm having trouble finding them. What do you think? I've had a lot of fun in newer MORC boats over the years and would like to honor the history of the rule with our next boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sisu3360 said:

After a five year adventure with a MacGregor 25 we impulse-bought off the side of the highway (go ahead and get your laughs out - we actually tuned it up and had a blast racing it and being way more competitive than we had any right to be), I'm boat shopping again. This time, I'm looking for a first-generation fiberglass boat with MORC pedigree in the 24-27 foot range. I like the idea of having a boat with classic lines, with the structural strength of 60s-era fiberglass construction. There are a few other boats like this in our fleet, so it would be fun to get a little group of early modern classics together. I'm looking at the Yankee Dolphin 24 and the Pearson Ariel/Commander and Renegade. What else should I be looking at? My budget is 5-6K, and if I can find something cheaper that I can clean up and have cash left over for sails and rigging, that's a plus. I know there are other boats that fit this description but I'm having trouble finding them. What do you think? I've had a lot of fun in newer MORC boats over the years and would like to honor the history of the rule with our next boat.

You go! Great idea IMHO, there are a lot of cool boats that fit into this history. Could be hard to find though.

The Mac25 is a pretty nice boat, definitely punches above it's weight as a PHRF racer if decently equipped and tuned up and sailed.

I lusted for a classic centerboard or lift-keel 1/4 Tonner for a while, and ended up getting a Santana 23 which has the look and very similar hull form but is actually a MORC boat. Great little boat, the only thing about them is that they are structural time bombs whose clock went off by now.

The Pearson Commander is a totally different animal, awesome ride for what it is. A friend of mine had one and we bombed around in it on heavy air days.

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ranger 26 or if you're into ugly Morgan 27

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cal20sailor said:

Ranger 26 or if you're into ugly Morgan 27

27's are actually sort of retro cool looking (biased, had one and it is still my favorite) and sail really well, now the 30/2 might be the ugliest boat afloat.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'60s era MORC...Morgan 24 or Morgan 27.  Great sailing boats, standing the test of time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sailman said:

'60s era MORC...Morgan 24 or Morgan 27.  Great sailing boats, standing the test of time.

The swept-fin keel M27 or the centerboarder M28? Both pretty good boats for what they do

FB- Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Steam Flyer said:

The swept-fin keel M27 or the centerboarder M28? Both pretty good boats for what they do

FB- Doug

The swept keel 27.  The 28 is just a stretched out 24.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morgan 30 .  won the MORC national championships 3 years in a row early 1970s

 

morgan_30_photo.jpg

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, sailman said:

'60s era MORC...Morgan 24 or Morgan 27.  Great sailing boats, standing the test of time.

Morgan 24 would be an excellent choice.  From the OP’s comments I get the feeling that the 27, Linderberg 26, and many other MORC boats suggested so far are a newer era than he’s looking for.

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lindenburg 26 is a great boat, but OP said first gen  60’s MORC....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

The swept-fin keel M27 or the centerboarder M28? Both pretty good boats for what they do

FB- Doug

M27 with a elliptical keel and rudder modification 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

Find a Creekmore 23 Or 27

I know Creekmore had a very successful 22 and 24 ( which was a 22 plus a cap over the stern )   in morc , but not sure these others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, surf nazi said:

I know Creekmore had a very successful 22 and 24 ( which was a 22 plus a cap over the stern )   in morc , but not sure these others.

and the 26 . I've sailed on all these. Lee still sails the 26 and it is a fast boat under any rating system . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Yankee Dolphin[a true sleeper].  The Renegade. was also a Shaw design, it felt a lot bigger, did the job, but the Dolphin always beat us on. ratings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, the Pearson Coaster 30 was drawn to the MORC rule and is quite nice looking

 

coaster_30_photo.jpg

 

 

 



 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, bloodshot said:

Also, the Pearson Coaster 30 was drawn to the MORC rule and is quite nice looking

 

coaster_30_photo.jpg

 

 

 



 

My dad had hull 44. Great sailing boat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the suggestions, folks, and keep 'em coming. Just a note, when I say "first generation fiberglass," I mean the transition era between wood and GRP, back when they didn't quite know how strong the stuff was and thus overbuilt the crap out of them. I've had enough pops and creaks coming from the vicinity of the keel trunk and compression post on my Mac to last a lifetime,  and I want something that I won't have to do much structural maintenance on.

Most of these boats have nice overhangs and either full keels or very early fin keels. Basically, I want the aesthetics of a wooden boat with the construction of fiberglass, with an authentic racing history. A lot of the various '60s Pearsons fit this bill, but I was having trouble thinking of more. The Morgan 24/25 looks nice, though the reported centerboard issues sound like a headache. Are any of the early Irwins (23/4/5/7) worth looking at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sisu3360 said:

Thanks for the suggestions, folks, and keep 'em coming. Just a note, when I say "first generation fiberglass," I mean the transition era between wood and GRP, back when they didn't quite know how strong the stuff was and thus overbuilt the crap out of them. I've had enough pops and creaks coming from the vicinity of the keel trunk and compression post on my Mac to last a lifetime,  and I want something that I won't have to do much structural maintenance on.

Most of these boats have nice overhangs and either full keels or very early fin keels. Basically, I want the aesthetics of a wooden boat with the construction of fiberglass, with an authentic racing history. A lot of the various '60s Pearsons fit this bill, but I was having trouble thinking of more. The Morgan 24/25 looks nice, though the reported centerboard issues sound like a headache. Are any of the early Irwins (23/4/5/7) worth looking at?

we had a yankee dolphin when i was a kid. what a great boat.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tartan 27 would actually be my choice if I I had to stick with 24-27' LOA

 

 

tartan_27_photo.jpg
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, surf nazi said:

and the 26 . I've sailed on all these. Lee still sails the 26 and it is a fast boat under any rating system . 

My dad had a 23 named Sunny Too fast little boat for the time.His friend Lenny had a 27 called Pumpkin Patch also a quick boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ROADKILL666 said:

My dad had a 23 named Sunny Too fast little boat for the time.His friend Lenny had a 27 called Pumpkin Patch also a quick boat

the 26 was the hull design for the linderberg 26.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The front page picture that accompanies this post is misleading. On the front page, the post talks about wanting to find an early '60's, solid fiberglass, classic sailboat 24-27' from the beginning of the MORC era, but the picture that accompanies the post is of a late '80's Mariah 27 from the end of the MORC rule era...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, USA 5184 said:

The front page picture that accompanies this post is misleading. On the front page, the post talks about wanting to find an early '60's, solid fiberglass, classic sailboat 24-27' from the beginning of the MORC era, but the picture that accompanies the post is of a late '80's Mariah 27 from the end of the MORC rule era...

okay picky. the pic represents what else is out there. jeesh.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i raced against all these boats in miami. very active morc fleet back then.

my choice would be a soverel 26.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, apophenia said:

Easy, get the Seattle Hawkfarm for $5k: http://www.latitude38.com/classifieds/classy_display.lasso?cat=25

Six people have successfully completed SHTP on five Hawkfarms.

Except the Hawkfarms were a mid 70's IOR Half Ton

Fer Crissakes people read the OP's stated requirements.  He  is looking for a 24-27 ft 1960's MORC boat.

So things like the  Chance 30/30 (early 70's IOR) and Soverel 26 (70's MORC) are also out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Editor said:

we had a yankee dolphin when i was a kid. what a great boat.

There's one in our fleet - well sailed and almost impossible to beat in anything but the stiffest breeze. I'd like to bring some variety to the fleet with another design but the Dolphin is mighty tempting if I can find the right one. I like the S&S design lineage, too (same as the Tartan 27 - good call).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I scrolled pretty quickly but didn't see mention of the Kirby25. Inexpensive, compared to many of the other boats mentioned, and very fast when sailed well. I miss my Chiripa.

Chiripa Leading.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not traditional...but always liked and respected the Ranger 26.   Did well in their time.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, richardknab said:

I scrolled pretty quickly but didn't see mention of the Kirby25. Inexpensive, compared to many of the other boats mentioned, and very fast when sailed well. I miss my Chiripa.

Chiripa Leading.jpg

Other than LOA, how exactly does a Kirby 25 meet the OP's requirement of a 1960's MORC boat.

I imagine someone will mention a Melges 24 next - cuz it's like...way faster than a Yankee Dolphin.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll throw the Merit 25 or Evelyn 25 out as contenders.

And with much bias, the 7.9...  which I can confirm can be had in your price range if you are patient enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Other than LOA, how exactly does a Kirby 25 meet the OP's requirement of a 1960's MORC boat.

I don't think he's necessarily looking for a 60s boat...  just one with the "Brick Shithouse" build characteristics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sisu3360 said:

After a five year adventure with a MacGregor 25 we impulse-bought off the side of the highway (go ahead and get your laughs out - we actually tuned it up and had a blast racing it and being way more competitive than we had any right to be), I'm boat shopping again. This time, I'm looking for a first-generation fiberglass boat with MORC pedigree in the 24-27 foot range. I like the idea of having a boat with classic lines, with the structural strength of 60s-era fiberglass construction. There are a few other boats like this in our fleet, so it would be fun to get a little group of early modern classics together. I'm looking at the Yankee Dolphin 24 and the Pearson Ariel/Commander and Renegade. What else should I be looking at? My budget is 5-6K, and if I can find something cheaper that I can clean up and have cash left over for sails and rigging, that's a plus. I know there are other boats that fit this description but I'm having trouble finding them. What do you think? I've had a lot of fun in newer MORC boats over the years and would like to honor the history of the rule with our next boat.

With a budget of 5-6K try a good set of PXG golf clubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Looper said:

 

I don't think he's necessarily looking for a 60s boat...  just one with the "Brick Shithouse" build characteristics.

I LOVE the Evelyn 25 and the Merit seems pretty fast, but yes I'm specifically looking for a 60s era design with more traditional aesthetics. There's currently a Dolphin, a Pearson Electra, and a Renegade in our fleet (all of them basically barn finds that have been brought back) and I'm trying to build on that. Sort of a classic yacht fleet for the next era after wood. Not that I don't enjoy the discussion of some of the later MORC stuff!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

Other than LOA, how exactly does a Kirby 25 meet the OP's requirement of a 1960's MORC boat.

I imagine someone will mention a Melges 24 next - cuz it's like...way faster than a Yankee Dolphin.

Reading comprehension does not seem to be the strong suit of many members here.

It's expected from the elk on PA but I hoped for more from the actual sailors here.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Looper said:

I don't think he's necessarily looking for a 60s boat...  just one with the "Brick Shithouse" build characteristics.

And you would be wrong.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Paging @Gouvernail

Peason Ensign?

The Ensign is a great boat, but I do take occasional weekend trips with 2-3 people so sleeping space and a private head are desirable. The Electra is on my list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bloodshot said:

Pearson Ariel?

 

pearson_ariel_photo.jpg
 

Yup. I’m kicking myself for missing out on one someone a few hours up the road wanted $900 for. If I find another at the right price I’ll take it. Ticks most of my requirements, but I’m open to other ideas within my criteria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Sisu3360 said:

I LOVE the Evelyn 25 and the Merit seems pretty fast, but yes I'm specifically looking for a 60s era design with more traditional aesthetics. There's currently a Dolphin, a Pearson Electra, and a Renegade in our fleet (all of them basically barn finds that have been brought back) and I'm trying to build on that. Sort of a classic yacht fleet for the next era after wood. Not that I don't enjoy the discussion of some of the later MORC stuff!

where are you based?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sisu3360 said:

...This time, I'm looking for a first-generation fiberglass boat with MORC pedigree in the 24-27 foot range. I like the idea of having a boat with classic lines, with the structural strength of 60s-era fiberglass construction. There are a few other boats like this in our fleet, so it would be fun to get a little group of early modern classics together. I'm looking at the Yankee Dolphin 24 and the Pearson Ariel/Commander and Renegade. What else should I be looking at? My budget is 5-6K,...What do you think? I've had a lot of fun in newer MORC boats over the years and would like to honor the history of the rule with our next boat.

 

3 minutes ago, Looper said:

I don't think he's necessarily looking for a 60s boat...  just one with the "Brick Shithouse" build characteristics.

That's one take I will give you that.

And while an S2 or Soverel are certainly MORC boats, I don't think either are what would be considered to be first generation MORC boats with classic lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Capri 25 that I'd like to sell. Rates with Merit 25s, J24s, Kirby 25s, etc. It's a nice boat, but it has been in storage too long. I need to find it a nice home. We have a bigger boat we use more. Let me know if you want details and pics. It's a nice boat, and it's in your price range. Boat is an '82. Trailer is a 2005. Outboard (new in 2014, I think) has about 150 hours on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 12 metre said:

 

That's one take I will give you that.

And while an S2 or Soverel are certainly MORC boats, I don't think either are what would be considered to be first generation MORC boats with classic lines.

Looks like i was wrong.  i'll be the first to admit fault when i do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kevinjones16 said:

I have a Capri 25 that I'd like to sell. Rates with Merit 25s, J24s, Kirby 25s, etc. It's a nice boat, but it has been in storage too long. I need to find it a nice home. We have a bigger boat we use more. Let me know if you want details and pics. It's a nice boat, and it's in your price range. Boat is an '82. Trailer is a 2005. Outboard (new in 2014, I think) has about 150 hours on it.

Okay, I give up.

What started out to be an interesting inquiry on 1960's MORC type boats has now officially devolved into a side show act with people naming any boat with a sail in the 24 - 30 foot range.  

Soooo...If you can't beat'em - join'em I guess.

Since it hasn't been mentioned yet.  I'll go with a Melges 24.  No make that a Peterson 35.  Both are just as relevant to this thread as most of the boats mentioned so far.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the OP's clarification he wants something fiberglass that doesn't creak and moan like it's going to fall apart.  He doesn't realize he had a Macgregor even though he uses that name.

anything else but, and you're 99% of the way there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dolphinmaster said:

In the OP's clarification he wants something fiberglass that doesn't creak and moan like it's going to fall apart.  He doesn't realize he had a Macgregor even though he uses that name.

anything else but, and you're 99% of the way there.

Oh gawd...you've just rebooted the cycle. 

Below is the OP's actual clarification rather than your interpretation of such.  Does it really sound like he wants anything but a MacGregor?

1 hour ago, Sisu3360 said:

I LOVE the Evelyn 25 and the Merit seems pretty fast, but yes I'm specifically looking for a 60s era design with more traditional aesthetics. There's currently a Dolphin, a Pearson Electra, and a Renegade in our fleet (all of them basically barn finds that have been brought back) and I'm trying to build on that. Sort of a classic yacht fleet for the next era after wood. Not that I don't enjoy the discussion of some of the later MORC stuff!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm extremely biased, but the Yankee Dolphin has the best traditional aesthetics of the bunch. We had a succession of 3 of them when I was a kid. Great boat to sail, and seems to be much quicker than it should be. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Shu said:

I'm extremely biased, but the Yankee Dolphin has the best traditional aesthetics of the bunch. We had a succession of 3 of them when I was a kid. Great boat to sail, and seems to be much quicker than it should be. 

And thank you for keeping on topic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Shu said:

I'm extremely biased, but the Yankee Dolphin has the best traditional aesthetics of the bunch. We had a succession of 3 of them when I was a kid. Great boat to sail, and seems to be much quicker than it should be. 

fuckin' awesome. i got to be friends with john when i sold him sails for his laser 28, years ago. a great man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GMiller said:

I have a Lindenberg 26, great boats.  Where are you located?  Here's a Yankee Dolphin local to me (drive past it daily) https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/grimesland-24-ft-yankee-dolphin/7141701376.html and I know of a Lindenberg 26 in RI free for the taking, needs work.  PM me.

I've seen that Dolphin on CL. I'm in Wisconsin, and at least for the time being it's hard for me to leave the state due to my job. Was hoping to pull the trigger toward the end of the summer as people are trying to dump boats to avoid yard fees, but if you know anyone heading up my way with a truck, let me know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SC 27 - I know its a little later design 1974, but they are well built and can be picked up for a great price and are fun boats to sail.   

 

Here is one for $8K https://www.sc27.org/sc27-s-for-sale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A PT 30 named "Jet" was pretty hot around CT in the early Mudhead days

 


 

Yachting_Google_Books.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Paging @Gouvernail

Peason Ensign?

Two boats come to mind.

i sold my Electra a few years ago to a young guy who hasn’t touched it in over a year. Contact me and I will send his contact info 

http://schrothfiberglass.com/electra_project.htm

 

second idea.

 

a friend has a PROJECT cal 25 on a really nice trailer he custom built for the biat. He would pretty much give it away to somebody who promises to make it Sail again 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dolphin 24 is a beauty! I twice was very close to buying one. She has a centerboard with a partial full keel (ok, that is an oxymoron, but I don't know the proper word, so the sailing characteristics will be quite different from a Macgregor 25, but I see that you want something classic. The Ariel or Commander are great as well, but I would say those are not nearly as nice as the Dolphin.

What to look for: If you have not done so, check the owner sites. I know the Dolphin24 and Ariel sites have active fleets. The Ariel in particular seems to be a boat that people like to restore and people often lose interest when their work is completed. I have seen some unloaded that way with almost everything but the hull replaced and updated. The upgrade value is a small part of the investment made and the extra $ you pay  will be easily saved in the first year or so, as opposed to investing heavily in rigging, paint, sails, thru-hulls, hardware and whatever else you have to replace on that "bargain boat."

Overall, these boats were built pretty much bulletproof, but there might be some differences between different series. Again, check the owner websites.

  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ensign, Electra, Seafarer Kestral 22’ are all good boats. The Kestral was an S&S design built in Huntington, Long Island in the 60’s and 70’s.

The Kestral is neat in that it has an outboard tucked in a lazarette and has Bombay doors which swing down when you need to use the iron Genny. Also, it’s a centerboarder so you can really get in close to the shoreline.

FF4A40B9-68AC-46CF-A121-4E0F0AF11E6C.jpeg

EA98B048-BA7E-45CE-9309-EC4AF625C18B.png

C5D8947C-AC6C-4D82-AB19-9B71D40672DD.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a fleet of dolphins at wilmette. I dont know of any for sale. The fleet is pretty active.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Ensign, Electra, Seafarer Kestral 22’ are all good boats. The Kestral was an S&S design built in Huntington, Long Island in the 60’s and 70’s.

The Kestral is neat in that it has an outboard tucked in a lazarette and has Bombay doors which swing down when you need to use the iron Genny. Also, it’s a centerboarder so you can really get in close to the shoreline.

FF4A40B9-68AC-46CF-A121-4E0F0AF11E6C.jpeg

EA98B048-BA7E-45CE-9309-EC4AF625C18B.png

C5D8947C-AC6C-4D82-AB19-9B71D40672DD.jpeg

Good call on the Kestrel, I forgot about that one! @Gouvernail, that Electra is a beauty. I'll shoot you a PM. I'm not sold on the small end of the range yet (I'd like to sleep at least 3 without it being cramped), but it's a head-turner for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

We have a fleet of dolphins at wilmette. I dont know of any for sale. The fleet is pretty active.

 

I've seen them there! As much as I'd hate to cannibalize a OD fleet, I'd be interested if one comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sisu3360 said:

I've seen them there! As much as I'd hate to cannibalize a OD fleet, I'd be interested if one comes up.

if i lived there, for sure i would get one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@gouv's Electra looks the biz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

@gouv's Electra looks the biz.

I sold it but I think the couple who bought it are consumed with new house and babies. He MIGHT want to sell it and start over in five years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jesposito said:

With a budget of 5-6K try a good set of PXG golf clubs

Could buy Hustler for that amount.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, guerdon said:

The Yankee Dolphin[a true sleeper].  The Renegade. was also a Shaw design, it felt a lot bigger, did the job, but the Dolphin always beat us on. ratings.

I hope to launch mine, but I'd let it go to someone who's really interested (it's a project).

Should be great on WL courses, fast downwind with the board up, running deep with the big masthead chute.

Great for the Southeast, shallow draft to begin with, and a keel shape and strength to run aground safely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From that Era  you could try the C&C 27 or 29, decent sailing boats, with ratings you can work with.  

 

If you can find an Express 30, not to many built... but the Goman Built Express (Killing design) boats were/are still very competitive and comfortable.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Northern 1/4 ton from sailboat data.

1972 C&C design for MORC. Pretty hot shit little boat when it came out. Became the Mirage 24. My dad’s first boat was an early Northern. He did very well in MORC with Whisper until the J/24s arrived. He said he was faster in the light upwind, even in moderate, lost in breeze and the Js had speed downwind in every condition. No active listings for the more numerous Mirage 24s. $2000-$5000 range from past listings. Great designs for the money.
northern_1-4%20ton_drawing.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Call around to the boatyards...I am sure there are abandon boats all over the place that would meet your needs.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisher said:

Northern 1/4 ton from sailboat data.

1972 C&C design for MORC. Pretty hot shit little boat when it came out. Became the Mirage 24. My dad’s first boat was an early Northern. He did very well in MORC with Whisper until the J/24s arrived. He said he was faster in the light upwind, even in moderate, lost in breeze and the Js had speed downwind in every condition. No active listings for the more numerous Mirage 24s. $2000-$5000 range from past listings. Great designs for the money.
northern_1-4%20ton_drawing.jpg

Ummm... I believe it was named the Northern 1/4 Ton because it was an IOR level rater, not a MORC design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late 60's : Pearsons, Morgans, Tartan 27.  It seems like in the late 60's everything under 30' was a MORC contender, but none were designed explicitly to the rule.

Early '70's : Cal 25 or Cal 27. Neither qualifies as brick shithouse.  Morgan 27, C&C25, C&C 27, are a bit sturdier built.  This is when you started seeing custom designed MORC typeforms.

Late '70's really started the production MORC typeform.  Lindenberg 26, Soveral 26, then later the Merit 25, Evelyns, S2-7.9 and 9.1.  Many other sub-30' in this timeframe sailed MORC but weren't designed explicitly to the rule, such as any J-boat, Kirby, Capri, or anything remotely ULDB. MORC hated ultralights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Editor said:

anybody remember the pt 30?

Yes fine boat - 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Oh gawd...you've just rebooted the cycle. 

Below is the OP's actual clarification rather than your interpretation of such.  Does it really sound like he wants anything but a MacGregor?

 

Oh Gawd, you're right.  Check entry #21 and consider.  When "helping" people make choices, understanding their underlying motivations can help.  

So, in query, the goal is to establish the priority, is it no creaking high maintenance fiberglass, or purely the early MORC enthusiasm.  If his answer, not your answer, is the former then the possible market of boats expands, if the latter, then the search narrows. Either way,  I'm glad to hear about the Yankee Dolphin, my only experience with full keelers in MORC was sailing against an Ensign on Tampa Bay in the 70's.  Good all around and periodically competitive.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Pog said:

I don't think this is a MORC boat, but the size and price seems good for a boat that might be fun to sail.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/sequim-1981-santana-23d-sailboat-trailer/7145797635.html

i raced a santana 23, for 14 years. both in morc and phrf. 

we did ok in both. not great. very tender boat, needs bodies on the rail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LarryE said:
16 hours ago, Pog said:

I don't think this is a MORC boat, but the size and price seems good for a boat that might be fun to sail.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/boa/d/sequim-1981-santana-23d-sailboat-trailer/7145797635.html

i raced a santana 23, for 14 years. both in morc and phrf. 

we did ok in both. not great. very tender boat, needs bodies on the rail.

I was told that the Santana 23D (the original one) was designed to the MORC rule; at the time I was lusting for a classic (meaning mid '70s era) 1/4 Tonner and it has that look although it's much faster than one of those.

This looks like a pretty good deal, meaning that it probably needs some new rigging and new sails. That antifoul bottom also looks rough as a cob, these are wicked weapons in light air but not with that surface. Also, they really need deck work, the decks were plywood and are time bombs long overdue.

Fun to sail though, and surprisingly comfortable. I didn't find it "tender" at all, mine barely noticed when you stepped onto it from the dock. IMHO the worst thing is the time-bomb deck, then in usage trying to trailer one around. Easy to trailer, launch, etc, but heaving the mast up takes a good bit of grunt and careful work.

FB- Doug

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

when i donated mine it was about twenty present   west system epoxy.

super fast in flat water, didn't like chop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Ummm... I believe it was named the Northern 1/4 Ton because it was an IOR level rater, not a MORC design.

I seem to remember there were some designs that did fairly decent under both rules, especially mini tonners.

- Stumbling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More of a IOR Quarter Tonner but I would love to resurrect a North Star 500, super cool vintage ride. Great post, everyone thinking a little outside the box. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RTsailsI21 said:

More of a IOR Quarter Tonner but I would love to resurrect a North Star 500, super cool vintage ride. Great post, everyone thinking a little outside the box. Cheers!

Is that the one they dropped an Atomic 4 in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites