Sign in to follow this  
Sisu3360

Help me out with some MORC History

1 hour ago, surf nazi said:

very cool. learned something new. thanks. what year was the 23 or 27 ? 

there was a 27 called tequesta, daggerboard, yellow boat.

it is here, with a large hole, laying in a field, victim of one of the hurricanes. forget which one.

4 hours ago, surf nazi said:

very cool. learned something new. thanks. what year was the 23 or 27 ? 

74-75

3 hours ago, J Keeley said:

We also owned Sunny Too. Creekmore 23. Very fast in light air. 

My dad built her in creekmores yard in medley fl with lees help

Thanks everyone for the amazing response. I've made an inquiry on that Dolphin in NC. Amidst the plague and some work-related travel restrictions I'm not sure yet how I'd retrieve it if I buy it, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

On 6/25/2020 at 10:49 AM, sail69 said:

Not traditional...but always liked and respected the Ranger 26.   Did well in their time.   

I'd have to agree, although I may be a bit partial. I picked this shot of my because it really shows those lines.

2017-07-13 05.46.46.jpg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, J Keeley said:

We also owned Sunny Too. Creekmore 23. Very fast in light air. 

Was your family the ones who moved the rudder?

The 23 I raced on had a adjustable outboard rudder. Boat name was Witchcraft..

21 hours ago, ROADKILL666 said:

My dad built  in creekmores yard in medley fl with lees help

there were 3 of the 23 ft. that i know of.

sunny too, vendetta and music. 

I sailed Music in Ft Lauderdale a couple of times. It had a Star fractional rig on it then. There were two Creekmore 20’s sailing in Miami back then. I think they were made out of the 23 hull but I’m not sure. One was called Little David and one was called Papa Jack. There was also a Creekmore  27 called Spring  racing just after that time. 

i sailed little David with sid doren and charlie fowler a couple of times.

i remember papa jack, but do not remember much. killed to many brain cells back then.

.hard to type with one hand, shoulder surgery.

17 hours ago, LarryE said:

there were 3 of the 23 ft. that i know of.

sunny too, vendetta and music. 

I want to say that 5 were built 

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I want to say that 5 were built 

I also had Music. Sunny Too had a conventional rudder. Looked to be off a Wavelengths 24, and a double spreader B&R rig. Great boat. 

1 hour ago, J Keeley said:

I also had Music. Sunny Too had a conventional rudder. Looked to be off a Wavelengths 24, and a double spreader B&R rig. Great boat. 

I can’t remember it my dad moved the rudder or not but I do remember the rig swapI was mad as a hornet when he sold her.I told him I wanted the boat.

1 hour ago, ROADKILL666 said:

I can’t remember it my dad moved the rudder or not but I do remember the rig swapI was mad as a hornet when he sold her.I told him I wanted the boat.

We reluctantly sold it about 17 years ago. It was in Titusville. Have been looking for it for the past few years. Would love to have it back. Heard it was damaged in a hurricane.  

1 hour ago, J Keeley said:

We reluctantly sold it about 17 years ago. It was in Titusville. Have been looking for it for the past few years. Would love to have it back. Heard it was damaged in a hurricane.  

Keep me updated 

I just put down a deposit on the Dolphin in North Carolina. Amidst all the uncertainty and some work/family obligations I'm not sure when/how I'll retrieve it, but I'm looking forward to owning it. I got to drive a Dolphin in a race last night, and was instantly sold. What a sweet boat! with the board up we were able to sail all the way back to our mooring field on a shallow river, while everyone else had to motor up the channel.

Thanks for all of the responses!

• Like 2

Nice, you'll put the current Anarchy Dolphin 24 fleet up to 4 current owners by my count. When I was looking, the older boats (ODay, Lunn) were more racing oriented, the later years / builders were more cruising focused. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Out West said:

Nice, you'll put the current Anarchy Dolphin 24 fleet up to 4 current owners by my count. When I was looking, the older boats (ODay, Lunn) were more racing oriented, the later years / builders were more cruising focused. 

It's a 1970 Yankee, Hull 186. Not a huge fan of the interior layout - I think it tries to do too much - but the fundamentals of the boat are the same as the earlier hulls. The other boat in our fleet is an O'Day. Which one is yours?

23 hours ago, Sisu3360 said:

Which one is yours?

1961 #200, one of the earliest Lunn boats.  It has a pretty basic interior done by an early owner, Ron Noe, he also designed/built/raced a couple other sailboats (per google)  It's definitely built light, the foredeck flexes underfoot.  She was raced many years out east, leading to all sorts of tweaks I am still learning.  

1977 MORC International Champion ~Class 4

4th in fleet

with one 1st in class ,first in fleet

Kiwi 24 with dagger-board and outboard rudder... 

IMG.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 5:06 PM, BravoBravo said:

1977 MORC International Champion ~Class 4

4th in fleet

with one 1st in class ,first in fleet

Kiwi 24 with dagger-board and outboard rudder... 

IMG.jpg

the boat was near my boat, on a mooring, at cgsc. real cool boat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nolatom said:

Looks a good bit like a Pearson Ariel... I like the bug-eyed cabin windows (OK OK ports). They were pretty boats, graceful proportions.

I think these designs were styled to evoke the look of a gentleman's yacht of a previous generation, and their sailing abilities suffered. There were faster boats even back then.

FB- Doug

On 7/1/2020 at 1:37 PM, Sisu3360 said:

I just put down a deposit on the Dolphin in North Carolina. Amidst all the uncertainty and some work/family obligations I'm not sure when/how I'll retrieve it, but I'm looking forward to owning it. I got to drive a Dolphin in a race last night, and was instantly sold. What a sweet boat! with the board up we were able to sail all the way back to our mooring field on a shallow river, while everyone else had to motor up the channel.

LMK if you need anything when you're down here. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GMiller said:
On 7/1/2020 at 1:37 PM, Sisu3360 said:

LMK if you need anything when you're down here. 

Where is the boat now? I never saw the ad

FB- Doug

Congratulations, you'll be surprised how well she sails with so little demands upon, and you.  I sailed on Trina, at. IHYC, and we won most of the trophies even though we we so. small that we always finished last and then corrected out.  Bill Shaw was so under rated as a designer.  She is like a baby B40

• Like 1

Thanks folks. I'm planning to rent a 3/4T truck in a few weeks to go get it. The seller has been been very accommodating too. If things change and travel is restricted, I'll reach out.