Editor

what is it?

Just saw this in a BoatUS email. So cool, but what is it?

red boat us1.jpg

• Like 1

Marblehead 22 Daysailer

BoatUS should make an attempt to identify the boats in their email headers. I’ve seen the boat before but I couldn’t remember the name 

• Like 1

how many of those have been built? I remember getting a glance at the first one year ago....

2 hours ago, mgs said:

how many of those have been built? I remember getting a glance at the first one year ago....

Probably not too many people have 85K lying around for a daysailer...

A beauty indeed.

• Like 2

A Wyliecat knock-off.

• Downvote 1

Doug Zurn has such an eye for beautiful boats: each seems more elegant than the last.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

Probably not too many people have 85K lying around for a daysailer...

I don’t think that’s the issue, there are used Stuart knockabouts for $80,000

The whole Marblehead line is gorgeous (Tap on the arrows at the sides to see them all...)

https://zurnyachts.com/concepts/sail/Marblehead-Series

I really like the 36, even if she is a bit heavy.  The 44 used to be a cat ketch (?) but looks better una rigged...:wub:

Doug Zurn designs beautiful, elegant looking boats - both sail and power.  His Gloucester G-20 is arguable the best looking center console you’ll ever find. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mgs said:

I don’t think that’s the issue, there are used Stuart knockabouts for $80,000

"A" is correct, IMO..

See hundreds of Knocks sailing around? 

It is always the Moo-oooola, especially in MA. Give it two seasons, nice as it is. Give me  a Yngling, old I-110 and a Wyliecat anyday....and a place to keep it.

22 minutes ago, BobBill said:

"A" is correct, IMO..

It is always the Moo-oooola, especially in MA. Give it two seasons, nice as it is. Give me  a Yngling, old I-110 and a Wyliecat anyday....and a place to keep it.

Maybe. I’ll grant you it’s a lot of money for a small boat. My poorly illustrated point was that there are other small daysailers that cost as much that have had more than 1, or a handful built. The knockabout was just the first daysailer I thought of, how about a Pisces 21 for close to 70k? People are willing to spend money on nice boats, so why not this one?

58 minutes ago, BobBill said:

"A" is correct, IMO..

Not hundreds, but I think SK #81 is being built now. Quite a few boats especially considering the price. 
Classic high end day sailers are expensive, take a look at Cape Cod Shipbuilding’s offerings and retail pricing. 

46 minutes ago, mgs said:

Maybe. I’ll grant you it’s a lot of money for a small boat. My poorly illustrated point was that there are other small daysailers that cost as much that have had more than 1, or a handful built. The knockabout was just the first daysailer I thought of, how about a Pisces 21 for close to 70k? People are willing to spend money on nice boats, so why not this one?

This side of the pond local to me we have these, 

http://www.ybod.org.uk/ of which there are around 140 built you can have a fibre glass or wooden hull.

https://horning-sailing.club/rebel.php, 16 made, up to Number 13 all mahogany after that fibreglass hulls 

https://horning-sailing.club/reedling.php 12 made plank on edge  construction.

https://horning-sailing.club/yeoman.php  around 200 made but in different series  so the sail number go over 300

Thats just the classes at my club, there is also local to me..

http://www.rnsyc.net/articles.php?article_id=35

https://squibs.co.uk/

https://www.topsail.co.uk/boat.php?refnum=1829 the Waveney one design

You can buy New for a lot less than 70K any of the classes above, and in most buying secondhand at a quarter of that, you can be still as competitive as a new boat, it's the nut on the helm that makes the difference..

As you can see open boat sailing and racing is popular round here.. Which is why we refer to them as Keelboats as in they're not dinghies and they haven't got a cabin, so they're not a Yacht or a Broads  River Cruiser http://www.rivercruiser.org/index.php/history-of-the-class

45 minutes ago, Squalamax said:

Not hundreds, but I think SK #81 is being built now. Quite a few boats especially considering the price. 
Classic high end day sailers are expensive, take a look at Cape Cod Shipbuilding’s offerings and retail pricing. 

I sorta figured; I also like your meta-image of the American "Airport"

Amazing...is it not, as we slip no one gives a rat's bum?

Dig the Squibs and Broads...the former had me thinking Yngling right off...rest seem too much work, except the last (the "WOD"), which looks like a clinker-hulled fun rig one can sail alone, with shapely crew and or swill and that makes way eassily. But need slip or bouy, like us wicked sluts, looks ain't it.

I've sailed all of the classes in the club, but mostly in a Yeoman,  which is similar to the Squib but slightly longer and faster.

Out of the classes if I had the time and the money I'd have wooden Yare and Bure for the summer and a Yeoman for the winter. The Yeoman can take the bad weather, we've raced the Nationals  in 40 Knots!!! finished a few times with water over the floorboards...

You can buy a good racing condition Yeoman for £5,000, a new one is around £30,000 last time I looked

I must admit that the flying 15 is a nice boat,  I'm surprised there are not more around the broads.

I think the reason being their short waterline length of 15ft compared to their 20ft LOA puts them at a disadvantage in the close tacking, repeated tacking in narrow rivers, effectively you're tacking short of any obstacle by several feet due to the overhangs, an important consideration when you sail a few inches apart. 

Also their short waterline length means displacement maximum speed is low,  compared to others of the same LOA,  so everytime a faster boat goes past you get wind shadowed and lose out... 

Added to that,  it's a small boat internally,  nowhere near as comfortable as the first boat in this thread or many others since.... 

Love the boat ...but why the Sam Hill would you put that rig with that sail on it ? 

akin to putting a wood gas unit in an E type jaguar 

• Like 1

Sorta @ Q,

The way I recall, the FF15 was short as most of designer's rigs were UK dingies and so on.

Back then longer LOA was known for speed but he chose a market that just did not catch here.. Besides, the 110s were doing well then.and much less costly etc.  

I thought they tqcked well as any 14.  

Too bad not so big a market for Yanks.

On 6/25/2020 at 1:20 PM, eliboat said:

Doug Zurn design. Marblehead 22.  As far as I know very few built...possibly just that red one, not sure.  

https://zurnyachts.com/designs/sail/Marblehead-22

Zurn is a good guy!  He designed the Shelter Island 50, that I used to be sometimes Mate on for deliveries up and down the coast.  Known as 50-50-50, she is 50 feet on deck, goes 50 knots, and burns 50 GPH per each Mann 1300 HP Turbo Diesel driving surface piercing wheels underneath the patented "Tunnel Vent" system. The large 4 large exhausts empty into the tunnel, creating a perfect atmosphere for surface piercing.  I've told the story before here, but some have not heard it yet.  We left Rudee Inlet in Virginia Beach around 6 AM.  Stopped at 11 at Atlantic City for fuel, then up through the Shinecock (sp?) locks to get into Long Island Sound.  By 2:30 in the afternoon we were tied up next the Owners Feadship at the Southampton YC...

Maybe daysailers should be set per waters sailed?

As noted, nica boat, but way expensive...

On 6/27/2020 at 1:48 AM, 44forty said:

Love the boat ...but why the Sam Hill would you put that rig with that sail on it ? 

akin to putting a wood gas unit in an E type jaguar 

Snob.

14 hours ago, Amati said:

Snob.

Yeah sorry man , cat rigs never caught on at the bottom of the world . It does look like  well balanced configuration to be honest though ...just don’t look quite right 

When I go sailing, particularly just for the day, i want there to be some sailing to do. That thing doesn't even have a traveler, let alone a jib or a kite. I'd be bored before I got to the bottom of my first beer.

E, Ever sail nekkid?