Sign in to follow this  
upgradingdave

Purpose of these white plastic cylinders on sidestays?

I was in for bad kidney stones. I was take. To the X-ray dept for some pics. A nice young lady tech was taking pics and said “oops, I forgot to put film in for that x-ray“ just as a Doctor walked in. He told her to go I to the office room and all of a sudden it was all hell breaking loose. I had to get up off the table and using my IV drip hanger for support (incredible pain/heavy morphine) got to the office room just as she burst out bleeding from the back of her head Witt the doctor chasing her.

I went out into the hallway, got my wheelchair and waited for someone to come by. I was too high to think to wheel down the hall. 

Anyway, another Dr. comes by and I told him what happened. He couldn’t find  the tech and figured she was just gone and I made up a story. Then the other Dr. came back and they decided that the second one should do the x-rays, meanwhile I’m telling the first one what this guy just did to the tech in front of him and he’s laughing at me in a nice way. We get the x-rays done and I’m back in my room for some time and the police come in to talk to me. 

Turns out the tech and Dr.( a resident surgeon from Iran)were having an affair and he was abusive. She went home and the president of the hospital called her back. They saw the bloody head and fired her and him immediately and then he was deported back to Iran for assault and battery on a US citizen.

The 400Lb  night shift nurse would stand in my room and when I woke up she would tell me that she was going to load me up in a laundry bag and take me home to her closet to use as a sex toy. About 2 years later, she was riding the subway to work, farted and dropped an 8Lb newborn into her pants:blink:

7 hours ago, BobJ said:

You guys squeezed 100 posts out of that question?

Inconceivable!

Pffft, you must be new here, we got over 300 pages on a guy who floated around the world with a big block of cheese.

23 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I was in for bad kidney stones. I was take. To the X-ray dept for some pics. A nice young lady tech was taking pics and said “oops, I forgot to put film in for that x-ray“ just as a Doctor walked in. He told her to go I to the office room and all of a sudden it was all hell breaking loose. I had to get up off the table and using my IV drip hanger for support (incredible pain/heavy morphine) got to the office room just as she burst out bleeding from the back of her head Witt the doctor chasing her.

I went out into the hallway, got my wheelchair and waited for someone to come by. I was too high to think to wheel down the hall. 

Anyway, another Dr. comes by and I told him what happened. He couldn’t find  the tech and figured she was just gone and I made up a story. Then the other Dr. came back and they decided that the second one should do the x-rays, meanwhile I’m telling the first one what this guy just did to the tech in front of him and he’s laughing at me in a nice way. We get the x-rays done and I’m back in my room for some time and the police come in to talk to me. 

Turns out the tech and Dr.( a resident surgeon from Iran)were having an affair and he was abusive. She went home and the president of the hospital called her back. They saw the bloody head and fired her and him immediately and then he was deported back to Iran for assault and battery on a US citizen.

The 400Lb  night shift nurse would stand in my room and when I woke up she would tell me that she was going to load me up in a laundry bag and take me home to her closet to use as a sex toy. About 2 years later, she was riding the subway to work, farted and dropped an 8Lb newborn into her pants:blink:

5 minutes ago, Timo42 said:

Pffft, you must be new here, we got over 300 pages on a guy who floated around the world with a big block of cheese.

another with 20 pages covering over  5 years just calling a guy a dick  

38 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

S4B your hospital experience reminds me of what one of my siblings once said.

I grew up in a mildly dysfunctional, particularly eccentric and completely absurd household. One of my brothers was a writer in Hollywood who’d sold a few scripts (none produced but $ changed hands).

When he was asked why not base a sitcom on his childhood experiences he replied “a sitcom needs to be plausible”.

All the same you should submit a script, maybe Grey’s Anatomy or The Resident or even General Hospital.

27 minutes ago, Cristoforo said:

another with 20 pages covering over  5 years just calling a guy a dick  

He notte juste A GUYE!  Hese fuckeng EXPO!                       :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KC375 said:

All the same you should submit a script, maybe Grey’s Anatomy or The Resident or even General Hospital. 

Ist a greate starte!  I thicke S4B hase moire in hime then that, a booke mabey in hise futiure........                           :)

1 hour ago, European Bloke said:

And there was the very productive discussion about the speed potential of J105.

wiche Expo sayes our sailled by poorer saillores, allso nowen as "wigenuttes"                          :)

The SA forums remind me of the old 'Argument' Monty Python skit. "Is this the room for the argument?"  "I've told you once." "No you didn't" "Yes I did" No you didn't'. Yes I did" "No you didn't" etc etc etc.

Also can't help but notice the OP never replied to any of the answers to his original question. Sheesh, how rude and inconsiderate. I mean come on, there were some really good answers given. I guess it's safe to assume he:

1) Had his question answered to his complete satisfaction.

2) Walked away wondering what kind of eff'd up meth lab, mental hospital he inadvertently stepped into here.

3) Or perhaps the most plausible;  The OP,  Kevlar and Snags are all the same Russian spy-bot.

7 minutes ago, psycho tiller said:

perhaps the most plausible;  The OP,  Kevlar and Snags are all the same Russian spy-bot.

дерьмо, они поняли это!
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:
дерьмо, они поняли это!

That just might be the first thing I've read by Snaggs that has no spelling mistakes,

but I'll never know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Ist a greate starte!  I thicke S4B hase moire in hime then that, a booke mabey in hise futiure........                           :)

Just about every part of my life has been marked with enough adversity to write a hell of a book. Most of it would be true, the boring stuff made up.

I’ve been stabbed a few times, shot at and had guns held to my face and head, done the same to criminals, taken guns from criminals who disarmed the police in front of my house...Yadda yadda yadda. The best is having a few Sailing titles under the belt and no more off that shit along the shores of the Jersey Coast.

...And Espo will be a dick for another 300 pages easy

3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

wiche Expo sayes our sailled by poorer saillores, allso nowen as "wigenuttes"                          :)

Republicans sail those things?

4 hours ago, KC375 said:

S4B your hospital experience reminds me of what one of my siblings once said.

I grew up in a mildly dysfunctional, particularly eccentric and completely absurd household. One of my brothers was a writer in Hollywood who’d sold a few scripts (none produced but $ changed hands).

When he was asked why not base a sitcom on his childhood experiences he replied “a sitcom needs to be plausible”.

I grew up directly across the street from this hospital in Philadelphia, my Dad was the Chairman of the Board, Mom a nurse and all 6 of us kids volunteered there. It was an 1890’s hospital with really creepy underground tunnels and an ancient morgue. I think I’ll have to remember a few of them. 

Some good fun was leaving a dozen eggs on the upstairs window sill and when the hookers and junkies would camp out on our stoop, I’d drop a few on them and of course the eggs were months old and rotten. 

Hookers and junkies don’t have much access to clean water so they learned to never come back. Sometimes if it was really cold out, I would be nice and just rack the shotgun in the living room. That sound is a true motivator..

• Downvote 1

Another bizarre memory from the hospital trip is being so ill that I was going out of both ends and had the tub across from the toilet, thank God. That’s when noticed the turds flying out of my mouth faster than out the back. They shot out from the back of my neck like rockets. That’s when my Twinbro walked me across to the emergency room.:wacko:

yup, I should write a book. a hell of a book. 

David Zedaris from NPR has already asked my Twinbro to write up a draft of memoirs from the day. Like the gun range in the basement that my parents didn’t know about, the full auto .45, the amateur job sawed off shotgun. The parents couldn’t distinguish between cigarettes and gunpowder I guess.

22 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I grew up directly across the street from this hospital in Philadelphia, my Dad was the Chairman of the Board, Mom a nurse and all 6 of us kids volunteered there. It was an 1890’s hospital with really creepy underground tunnels and an ancient morgue. I think I’ll have to remember a few of them. 

Some good fun was leaving a dozen eggs on the upstairs window sill and when the hookers and junkies would camp out on our stoop, I’d drop a few on them and of course the eggs were months old and rotten. 

Hookers and junkies don’t have much access to clean water so they learned to never come back. Sometimes if it was really cold out, I would be nice and just rack the shotgun in the living room. That sound is a true motivator..

S4B, we should have a beer and swap stories. I don’t think mine will be as good as yours, as we grew up in a slightly better ‘hood, but otherwise we may have some shared experiences. Both my parents were academic physicians at a leading teaching hospital established in 1893. Lot’s of tunnels under the street and between buildings.

At max we were 7 boys and 3 girls. The only child care my parents could keep was an x-merchant marine who smoked navy cut unfiltered and featured  awesome tats on serious biceps – one flex of those guns and you understood obedience was really the only choice.

At one stage or another we all did the orderly/nurses’ aid thing. Wrapped my first cadaver at 16. Oddly enough my eldest was born in that hospital. When it became clear an epidural was in order, there was some delay as at 2 am the anesthetist was not on the floor. My wife made it clear the baby would be welcomed home but I might not if I didn’t fix things. Fortunately, I knew where the residents went to catch up on their sleep...without even realizing it I was using my father’s “I am a god of medicine and you will obey" voice (more tone than an amplitude thing)...that poor resident was half way to my wife’s side before he had both eyes open (I did check for full alertness before the needle entered the spine).

Ha! I had to locate an anesthesiologist to do one on my wife after 9 months of insisting that she wouldn’t think to foul the birth of our first with painkillers. She had never really been in pain other than periods. 

The second baby the wife had the epidural ready the day before!

24 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Ha! I had to locate an anesthesiologist to do one on my wife after 9 months of insisting that she wouldn’t think to foul the birth of our first with painkillers. She had never really been in pain other than periods. 

Better living through modern chemistry.

Both my parents saw patients in their home offices so back in the good old days of unrestricted pharmacological marketing lots of free samples would come through the front mail slot...as both were neurologists they were often targets of various psychotropic compounds.

My elder brothers were of the first long hairs seeking mind expanding experiences...fortunately they weren’t complete idiots...I remember them flipping through this huge dark blue reference book – some sort of pharmacopeia to decide which samples to sample. Not all members of the household were as wise.

My mom was walking back from the grocery with a full cart, two toddlers and the lab who was only mildly attentive at the best of times. The dog became increasingly energetic to the point chasing and catching cars, leaping on to moving vehicles and other foolishness. By the time they made it home the dog was spent, slept  for hours. It all made sense when my mom had a chance to clean up the front hall and sort the mail, complete with a chewed sample of uppers and downers.

Much to my brothers’ disappointment the mail slot was screwed closed that night and a  next day locking mailbox installed outside.

2 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Dude! I get droppin em on the junkies, that's just good fun, but the hookers? cmon.. a girl's gotta make a living!

• Downvote 1

Sorry, I meant crackwhore. 

• Downvote 1

• Like 1

Sorry, I meant crackwhore. 

Thast a helle of a guotte..................                   :)

19 hours ago, BobJ said:

You guys squeezed 100 posts out of that question?

Inconceivable!

And no one mentioned that they're called "shrouds".

Inconceivable.

20 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

And no one mentioned that they're called "shrouds".

Inconceivable.

Shame on you. You obviously skipped some postes. Go back to number 2 and read from there.

On 6/25/2020 at 2:03 PM, Editor said:

they help the genoa around the shrouds during a tack.

Ok so the Ed did not exactly the "side stays" are called shrouds but it was implied.

• Like 1

The key to the lock may be in someone else’s possession. 

12 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

How big was the closet?

5 hours ago, KC375 said:

Better living through modern chemistry.

Both my parents saw patients in their home offices so back in the good old days of unrestricted pharmacological marketing lots of free samples would come through the front mail slot...as both were neurologists they were often targets of various psychotropic compounds.

My elder brothers were of the first long hairs seeking mind expanding experiences...fortunately they weren’t complete idiots...I remember them flipping through this huge dark blue reference book – some sort of pharmacopeia to decide which samples to sample. Not all members of the household were as wise.

My mom was walking back from the grocery with a full cart, two toddlers and the lab who was only mildly attentive at the best of times. The dog became increasingly energetic to the point chasing and catching cars, leaping on to moving vehicles and other foolishness. By the time they made it home the dog was spent, slept  for hours. It all made sense when my mom had a chance to clean up the front hall and sort the mail, complete with a chewed sample of uppers and downers.

Much to my brothers’ disappointment the mail slot was screwed closed that night and a  next day locking mailbox installed outside.

Ah yes, the PDR, think my brother may still have the one we came across as callow youts...I'd like to see him explain that one to his kids.:lol:

• Like 1

Due to the closet tax of the late 1800’s they were very small. Many homes in our factory neighborhood didn’t have them and kept their two sets of clothes- work clotheS and church suit in a footlocker. 

She must have had one of the nicer homes that the managers lived in back in the old days. I’m lucky to have not seen hers...she told me it had all the product for containment and concealment so her sick,  dying diabetic husband wouldn’t know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Timo42 said:

Ah yes, the PDR, think my brother may still have the one we came across as callow youts...I'd like to see him explain that one to his kids.:lol:

Knowledge is a powerful thing

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

You obviously skipped some postes. 

In my defense, you people talk way too much. ;)

15 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

are you still on morphine?

14 hours ago, KC375 said:

shit, I'd rather have PB"s book..

6 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

are you still on morphine?

No, but my ex- grandmother is still going strong with a prescription she’s had filled since the ‘50’s. She’s 89 now and “suffers” from a few things that need an Indian Dr from Florida to understand pain wise..

57 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

No, but my ex- grandmother is still going strong with a prescription she’s had filled since the ‘50’s. She’s 89 now and “suffers” from a few things that need an Indian Dr from Florida to understand pain wise..

Mother's little helper?

9 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

aren't they all Indian? 

The pain med doctors are. 

Born in America Doctors have learned that they will burn if they write scrips for drug addicts. I know a few who lost their license to practice from writing them 30 years ago.
Of course, that included these guys being in down low homosexual relationships with the guys they were writing the scrips for. Crazy gay sex must be a hell of an intoxicant to not see where your career will go when you go down low..

26 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

The pain med doctors are. 

Born in America Doctors have learned that they will burn if they write scrips for drug addicts. I know a few who lost their license to practice from writing them 30 years ago.
Of course, that included these guys being in down low homosexual relationships with the guys they were writing the scrips for. Crazy gay sex must be a hell of an intoxicant to not see where your career will go when you go down low..

I think its a shame we have lost the theme of this thread and you have tried very hard to shine the spotlight on yourself and your history of depraved drug and crack whore behavior, and sub human cultural history described in a pattern of repeated interactions with ethnic physicians of dubious moral turpitude. Can we please get back to the K.E. -  Snaggs shitfight?   Has anyone arranged  a wellness check on KE?    Or do you just not give a shit about anyone else?  #ShavedBallsLivesMatter  

Thet wase alittelle harshe Crisco.  Notte siurre youre poeste wille gette you what you wante...........   pointe of the threade wase purposse of white plastice tubes on  shroudes.               :)

I was under the impression that the theme of the thread was  (and please forgive my artistic license here) "Just what the hell are those white plastic cylinders attached to the sidestays called and what purpose they serve?"

15 minutes ago, hobot said:

I was under the impression that the theme of the thread was  (and please forgive my artistic license here) "Just what the hell are those white plastic cylinders attached to the sidestays called and what purpose they serve?"

Ohh sorry.. I stand corrected.   They are to keep cormorants from standing on the end of the spreaders  

I thought the purpose of this thread was to have some fun.

I believe you thought the same thing when you were disparaging and shitting on the Tony Esposito DTS thread when you proved your worth to me, asshole.:mellow:

I have a good memory and your opinion of me as a racist or anything else has no merit or support from you or anyone else here with half a brain. 

You’re also the one posting about shit up in Maine when the locals cut the tree down to quarantine an out of towner. Mainers don’t know People from LIS to make the stupid statement you made below. 

Here it is, asshole:mellow:

I cringe when I read it, small man.

C92DE034-53DD-42B7-93C9-11D55B407FDA.png

B37CFAAB-4FE7-4AF9-A8FB-1DFAED83EEF0.png

That’s how much you care about a wellness check on KE.

11 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

when you proved your worth to me, asshole.:mellow:

thissis who Petey thouht he wase yelleng at the orther nitte............                  :)

I’m thinking your right:lol:

4 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

I’m thinking your right:lol:

I no Ime am!                        :)

2 hours ago, hobot said:

I was under the impression that the theme of the thread was 

tits bout b00bs 

54394_03big.jpg

28 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

I no Ime am!                        :)

Im thinking he knew he was yelling at John Drake. :)

Back to the original thread topic. When we won the 2002 National Championship our tactician made sure we had 2 guards on the outer shroud guards.The outer one rolled along with a wet or somehow crinkled sail coming across.The inner one gave the outer something smooth to race on.  Bought them at the local hardware store. It makes tacking an Ensign Genoa fast and easy.

7 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Back to the original thread topic. When we won the 2002 National Championship our tactician made sure we had inner and outer shroud guards. The outer one rolled along with a wet or somehow crinkled sail coming across. Bought them at the local hardware store. It makes tacking an Ensign Genoa fast and easy.

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

I have a good memory and your opinion of me as a racist or anything else has no merit or support from you or anyone else here with half a brain. 

You’re also the one posting about shit up in Maine when the locals cut the tree down to quarantine an out of towner. Mainers don’t know People from LIS to make the stupid statement you made below. 

Here it is, asshole:mellow:

I cringe when I read it, small man.

C92DE034-53DD-42B7-93C9-11D55B407FDA.png

B37CFAAB-4FE7-4AF9-A8FB-1DFAED83EEF0.png

That’s how much you care about a wellness check on KE.

Says the guy who misidentified a non Jewish  bus driver that had to take his kids to work with him,  endangering him,  and posted a photo of a Hasidic rally in Borough Park during Covid restrictions that actually  happened a year earlier. right.  Tony never liked you either.  

I didn’t misidentify anyone. The bus driver would obviously not be Hassidic because all hasid men are studying to be rabbi’s. The driver endangered himself and his family by driving around in a bus instead of being home under stay at home orders. 

And you were correct about the picture and article. The link was mis posted instead of the actual article of the massive funeral they held a few months ago. 

Tony never knew you or me for that matter so let it go. 

I’m confused.   Who is mad at who here?

2 minutes ago, Windward said:

I’m confused.   Who is mad at who here?

Juste waitte five minites and it wille change.........               :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Ohh sorry.. I stand corrected.   They are to keep cormorants from standing on the end of the spreaders  

Cormorants, eh?!

FC1B6845-6BDC-4D7C-A929-B8B9D67DB056.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Sail4beer said:

Cormorants, eh?!

FC1B6845-6BDC-4D7C-A929-B8B9D67DB056.jpeg

Yes. little baby cormorants 

I’ll buy that.

They shit just as bad and aren’t even cute.

4 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

I’ll buy that.

They shit just as bad and aren’t even cute.

they hang out in the cottonwood trees at the nw corner of the lake,  the ground is usually white

And as hard as concrete

Hi Jack...

I've never seen the small disk rollers SPREADER - LIFE LINE ROLLER, SNAP TOGETHER – HPN209 – SET OF 2 PIECES -PNP209 midway off deck  up to a spreader on a stay before. Above and next to a spreader yes I've seen that.

We use them on the bow forward of the life line stanchions on the top life line to help clear the jib over the lifelines on a tack. I see the ones in the photo as things to poke a hole in a jib during a late release of the jib sheet when tacking. We sail with not even tape on the spreader ends same reason. The jibs have patches on then to take the chafe from spreaders and stanchions.