Sign in to follow this  
Fat Point Jack

Mango Mania

I'm a Luddite, so I don't know how to post a story from this morning's paper, I'll give you a summary and one of my fellow subscribers will post it.

2 ladies (Black & White) were in Jules & Sarosa's subdivision collecting some mangos that they had permission to pick up.  A neighbor with a bad attitude pulled up and confronted them.  He yelled various racial insults and allegedly threatened to "Pump you full of bullet holes".   He was arrested and released on bail.

I've seen people doing some real stupid things to get other peoples Mangos.  A fellow stopped along a friends house and threw a piece of 2 X 4 at them in a tree and the mangos and 2 x 4 bounced off my friend's car.

I can't wait until tomorrow to see what in the fuck is going to happen next.

Saorsa is a racist cunt so I'm not surprised at what he did.

Mangoes are delicious, I can see people going to great lengths to get them.

Or to protect them.

But yelling racist insults and threats is not acceptable, too bad a 2x4 didn't bounce off that SOB

- DSK

1 hour ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I'm a Luddite, so I don't know how to post a story from this morning's paper, I'll give you a summary and one of my fellow subscribers will post it.

2 ladies (Black & White) were in Jules & Sarosa's subdivision collecting some mangos that they had permission to pick up.  A neighbor with a bad attitude pulled up and confronted them.  He yelled various racial insults and allegedly threatened to "Pump you full of bullet holes".   He was arrested and released on bail.

He's from the bird section.  They are wackier there. -_-

Here's the story and it's worth seeing the video - https://www.abc-7.com/story/42293182/punta-gorda-man-hurls-racial-slurs-at-women-for-picking-mangoes-from-neighbors-tree

Mangos are awesome...unless you are allergic to them. I am not, thankfully. 

55 minutes ago, astro said:

Claims the race baiting bigot. 

13 minutes ago, Steam Flyer said:

Mangoes are delicious, I can see people going to great lengths to get them.

It's not really necessary. The old section of Fat Point east of US 41 was once a big mango grove and many of the old trees survive. One tree provides way more than any household needs, resulting in a gooey mess that attracts insects and squirrels. To prevent this, people just put boxes out by the street that say FREE on them.

Two of my trees are heavy with fruit right now. I sold a few last week to a guy who really wanted to buy lychees but got mangoes as a consolation prize. I probably won't sell any more because I got a fruit dehydrator for Christmas and dried mango is one of my favorite things.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Venom said:
1 hour ago, astro said:

Claims the race baiting bigot. 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

It's not really necessary. The old section of Fat Point east of US 41 was once a big mango grove and many of the old trees survive. One tree provides way more than any household needs, resulting in a gooey mess that attracts insects and squirrels. To prevent this, people just put boxes out by the street that say FREE on them.

Two of my trees are heavy with fruit right now. I sold a few last week to a guy who really wanted to buy lychees but got mangoes as a consolation prize. I probably won't sell any more because I got a fruit dehydrator for Christmas and dried mango is one of my favorite things.

You have good taste.

I have wandered a lot of back roads in Florida but obviously not the right ones, I've never seen free mangoes.

- DSK

Why did I know that would be Florida?

I didn't used to like mangoes until I started cravings when pregnant. They are now my favourite fruit (next to apricots). but only the slightly tart ones. 

I used to live in the land of the mango. I started out being a little suspicios of them, because of their texture. Then I grew to love them. Can't get a ripe mango in a supermarket.

35 minutes ago, Jules said:

He's from the bird section.

I take that back.  He's over by Colony Point. 

His wife rallied against the only black city council member a couple years ago saying, "He's not from here," when the truth is he was born here and his family has been here for over 100 years.  Now it's all coming together...

36 minutes ago, Jules said:

I take that back.  He's over by Colony Point. 

His wife rallied against the only black city council member a couple years ago saying, "He's not from here," when the truth is he was born here and his family has been here for over 100 years.  Now it's all coming together...

I'm working on another letter to the city council.  I'm going to end with: None of you were born here, You didn't work here, you didn't raise your kids, you retired here, some of you may die here and probably several of you won't be buried here. 

We talking Philippine Mangos or those poor Mexican substitutes?

15 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I'm working on another letter to the city council.  I'm going to end with: None of you were born here, You didn't work here, you didn't raise your kids, you retired here, some of you may die here and probably several of you won't be buried here. 

One correction - Jaha Cummings was born here.  His family goes back to the time when African Americans were actually considered an integral part of the community.  Former council member and mayor Rachel Keesling was also born here but PGICA rallied to oust her and put in one of their own.

I stood before the city council a few years ago, when the PG immigrants were trying to control growth, and said this:

“When I moved here …"

We often hear these words proceed the opinions of citizens on the subject of Appropriate Growth.

But what about those who were born here, raised here, went to school here, developed friendships here and have extended family here?  What do we tell them?

When they graduate from high school or college, do we hand them a diploma and a bus ticket and tell them, “Come back when you made it?”

Our city should be much more than a reward for a life well-lived elsewhere. 

We need to provide for all of the citizens here, especially those who were born here and want to stay here, and give them the opportunities that the natural process of growth will.  That includes providing for them a living wage, affordable housing, a City Council and Staff that represents them too and, most importantly, the understanding that those who move into this very special city know that  we come here to be one with a community that can only flourish if we allow it to do so naturally.

1 hour ago, Steam Flyer said:

You have good taste.

I have wandered a lot of back roads in Florida but obviously not the right ones, I've never seen free mangoes.

- DSK

I used to see them in my old neighborhood S of Miami for the same reason. Any old grove that has become residential has more mangoes than the residents can eat and give away to friends so they try to get rid of them however they can.

1 hour ago, Mrleft8 said:

I used to live in the land of the mango. I started out being a little suspicios of them, because of their texture. Then I grew to love them. Can't get a ripe mango in a supermarket.

When dried they're tough. Think mango jerky. I like to put them in the freezer. There's no water left and the sap apparently has a freezing point below a regular home freezer so they get firm and chewy but not hard when frozen.

Jules, thanks for the updates and helping me realize that my neighborhood while not perfect is not as nutty as Punta Gorda.  Perhaps because there are no mangoes here.  Meanwhile I expected this to be about the color of our deer leeder. 

After 30 years in the tropics, I'm well and truly over mangoes.

We have a massive old mango tree that produces huge amounts of top quality  fruit. Every year a local guy comes and harvests the lot, pays me a carton of beer. I suspect he makes a good profit on the deal.

If you take a nice big fat mango and stick arms and legs on it from your Mr. Potatohead game, it will look just like our *resident.  

I don't recommend doing this.

The big one at the top of this pic didn't want to fit in my picking pole basket so I climbed up on the roof to get it.

TractorPicker-rotated.jpg

• Like 1

There's been a development (I was just looking for the full, uncensored video...)

Racist dude is doubling down.  Hired a lawyer, counter-accusing that the two women were, in fact, stealing.

Statement from attorney Jason Lucas, The Lucas Law Firm:

“I have read the police report and most of the facts represented in the police report are not actually what happened. It’s a one-sided statement given to the police by two women who are actually committing a burglary themselves. They were there without the permission of the homeowners who are friends with my client, and were stealing mangoes from their tree. I’ve confirmed with my client’s friends, who are snowbirds in Michigan, that the two women had no permission to be on their property and take their mangoes. My client and that neighbor have had mangoes stolen in the past so Mr. Mueller was simply looking out for his neighbor’s property when he confronted them. An alleged battery ensued but for him to be charged with burglary himself, when he was breaking up a burglary, is an extreme case of overcharging. I look forward to all of the facts coming out and assisting him in clearing his name.”

Pop-corn time?  

https://www.winknews.com/2020/06/25/punta-gorda-isles-man-faces-charges-after-hurling-racial-slurs-spitting-on-woman/

2 hours ago, frenchie said:

There's been a development (I was just looking for the full, uncensored video...)

Racist dude is doubling down.  Hired a lawyer, counter-accusing that the two women were, in fact, stealing.

“I have read the police report and most of the facts represented in the police report are not actually what happened. It’s a one-sided statement given to the police by two women who are actually committing a burglary themselves. They were there without the permission of the homeowners who are friends with my client, and were stealing mangoes from their tree. I’ve confirmed with my client’s friends, who are snowbirds in Michigan, that the two women had no permission to be on their property and take their mangoes. My client and that neighbor have had mangoes stolen in the past so Mr. Mueller was simply looking out for his neighbor’s property when he confronted them. An alleged battery ensued but for him to be charged with burglary himself, when he was breaking up a burglary, is an extreme case of overcharging. I look forward to all of the facts coming out and assisting him in clearing his name.”

Pop-corn time?  

https://www.winknews.com/2020/06/25/punta-gorda-isles-man-faces-charges-after-hurling-racial-slurs-spitting-on-woman/

I stole some oranges off the side of the road once when I was about ten and ate them on the spot, then again later as a teenager on my way home from school.  

5 hours ago, frenchie said:

I know him and he has worked for me and for people I know. He's not big on losing, I can tell you that.

3 hours ago, Venom said:

I’ve confirmed with my client’s friends, who are snowbirds in Michigan, that the two women had no permission to be on their property and take their mangoes.

If Jason Lucas said that, I believe him.

On 6/26/2020 at 6:35 AM, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Dried mangos are incredible, huh Normy?

Did you get the kind of dehydrator with a fan? The one I have now (Excalibur) has a fan, but my old one didn't. I found that without a fan, the process is so slow that it was impossible to keep up with the output from a single nectarine tree in that rich Southern soil. I ended up placing a household fan on top of the unit to pull the air through.

It's important to get the slices as even as possible, otherwise the thick bits can get moldy while the thin bits get burned. Once I got the hang of it, I didn't need any preservatives and they kept for months.

It's a whole different thing in the wet Southern climate compared to the semi-arid places. The fruit here almost never gets blight, but it's really hard to get anything to grow. Down South, one little tree; bags and bags of fruit, but if the blight gets in it, the whole tree was lost.

Part of the U. Alanama campus was in an old pecan orchard, at the time, nobody there cared about pecans. Colorado scavenger that I was, I picked up bags full of them. A few of the Chinese students asked me if that was okay to do (apparently scavenging ground-fall in China is a no-no) and next thing I know, I saw about six Chinese students with probably fifty pounds of pecans each, they mailed some back to China. (A fresh, raw Alabama pecan is a perfect nut.) Then a couple years later, China went nuts for U.S. pecans, suddenly these moribund Southern pecan farms couldn't harvest them fast enough for Chinese demand.

But to your post ... if I had a source for lychees on my property like you do, I am quite sure that I would eat 100% of that harvest. Lychees are the single most addictive fruit that I've ever had.

On 6/26/2020 at 8:35 AM, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Plenty of Mangos on lots vacated by Charlie.

This has been a big year for our tree.  A couple of windstorms messed up the neighbors Avocado crop.  The citrus trees have been gradually disappearing from greening and other diseases.

16 hours ago, mikewof said:

Dried mangos are incredible, huh Normy?

Did you get the kind of dehydrator with a fan? The one I have now (Excalibur) has a fan, but my old one didn't. I found that without a fan, the process is so slow that it was impossible to keep up with the output from a single nectarine tree in that rich Southern soil. I ended up placing a household fan on top of the unit to pull the air through.

It's important to get the slices as even as possible, otherwise the thick bits can get moldy while the thin bits get burned. Once I got the hang of it, I didn't need any preservatives and they kept for months.

It's a whole different thing in the wet Southern climate compared to the semi-arid places. The fruit here almost never gets blight, but it's really hard to get anything to grow. Down South, one little tree; bags and bags of fruit, but if the blight gets in it, the whole tree was lost.

Part of the U. Alanama campus was in an old pecan orchard, at the time, nobody there cared about pecans. Colorado scavenger that I was, I picked up bags full of them. A few of the Chinese students asked me if that was okay to do (apparently scavenging ground-fall in China is a no-no) and next thing I know, I saw about six Chinese students with probably fifty pounds of pecans each, they mailed some back to China. (A fresh, raw Alabama pecan is a perfect nut.) Then a couple years later, China went nuts for U.S. pecans, suddenly these moribund Southern pecan farms couldn't harvest them fast enough for Chinese demand.

But to your post ... if I had a source for lychees on my property like you do, I am quite sure that I would eat 100% of that harvest. Lychees are the single most addictive fruit that I've ever had.

Yes, my dehydrator uses forced air. I've dried some bananas with it and they're OK. My wife discovered drying mushrooms and has been cooking with them. They are really good!

My phone has been ringing like crazy with people asking whether I'm selling lychees this year. No, I'm eating them all again. A couple of years ago that was just impossible and I did sell some. People haven't forgotten.

6 minutes ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

Yes, my dehydrator uses forced air. I've dried some bananas with it and they're OK. My wife discovered drying mushrooms and has been cooking with them. They are really good!

My phone has been ringing like crazy with people asking whether I'm selling lychees this year. No, I'm eating them all again. A couple of years ago that was just impossible and I did sell some. People haven't forgotten.

At least 31 children in India killed by toxin in lycheesI

Maybe that's why you are so fucking crazy.

3254.jpg?width=445&quality=45&auto=forma

9 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Plenty of Mangos on lots vacated by Charlie.

This has been a big year for our tree.  A couple of windstorms messed up the neighbors Avocado crop.  The citrus trees have been gradually disappearing from greening and other diseases.

No comment on your neighbor's conduct?

Just now, Fat Point Jack said:

I don't know the guy and don't know the whole story.  He's not a neighbor.  Hibiscus is in the old sailboat section where Marion becomes two lanes and I live further down than that on the other side of the road.  When I hear both sides I'll make a decision.  Minding your own business is generally a good path to follow.

I see plenty of folks driving around looking for opportunities.   Our recycle day is Tuesday.  I'm an early riser and see several scavengers driving around to beat the recycle truck.  That's not legal but I wouldn't call the cops on them.  On the other hand, if they stop beyond the curb to start picking my mangos I would probably take a few pictures of them and their vehicle and report it as agricultural theft, not trespassing.

We have a nice lychee tree by the condos that gets stripped when it's ripe.  I stopped to ask one of the folks who lives there if they pick them and was told that they turn red and just disappear overnight. I don't know what the nice trespassing agricultural thieves were saying.

The saw palmetto crews can get pretty nasty.

6 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

No comment on lying about having permission to take the fruit? Or what else they said that might be a lie?

Lying about permission to pick mangos vs "If I see this truck again, I am going to pump you full of bullets".

We won't see both sides of the story.  Non-public negotiations and some sort of nondisclosed settlement.  Maybe I could pry it from the sailing judge

1 hour ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Lying about permission to pick mangos vs "If I see this truck again, I am going to pump you full of bullets".

We won't see both sides of the story.  Non-public negotiations and some sort of nondisclosed settlement.  Maybe I could pry it from the sailing judge

Why bother?  I don't need the gossip.  The guy will be branded a racist forever.

Agricultural theft is a

third degree felony is punishable by up to five years in prison and up to a $5,000 fine. If the stolen property is an aquaculture species raised at a certified aquaculture facility, the crime carries a mandatory $10,000 fine.

A couple of charges like that might help keep out thieves and trespassers.

8 hours ago, Saorsa said:

I don't know the guy and don't know the whole story.  He's not a neighbor.  Hibiscus is in the old sailboat section where Marion becomes two lanes and I live further down than that on the other side of the road.  When I hear both sides I'll make a decision.  Minding your own business is generally a good path to follow.

I see plenty of folks driving around looking for opportunities.   Our recycle day is Tuesday.  I'm an early riser and see several scavengers driving around to beat the recycle truck.  That's not legal but I wouldn't call the cops on them.  On the other hand, if they stop beyond the curb to start picking my mangos I would probably take a few pictures of them and their vehicle and report it as agricultural theft, not trespassing.

We have a nice lychee tree by the condos that gets stripped when it's ripe.  I stopped to ask one of the folks who lives there if they pick them and was told that they turn red and just disappear overnight. I don't know what the nice trespassing agricultural thieves were saying.

The saw palmetto crews can get pretty nasty.

I had a Rainier Cherry tree like that in my mom's yard, the second that fruit was ripe, flocks of birds of all species apparently called a temporary ceasefire and joined forces to strip every damned cherry off that tree within the day ... there isn't a lot of fruit on the trees that early in the season at high altitude I guess. Those birds committed a highly orchestrated version of avian agricultural theft. Fuckers, I love Rainier Cherries.

And proud of that charge and probably hailed by some in the neighborhood as a hero.

And the threat of punishment has done little to deter crime since day 1.  

15 minutes ago, mikewof said:

I had a Rainier Cherry tree like that in my mom's yard, the second that fruit was ripe, flocks of birds of all species apparently called a temporary ceasefire and joined forces to strip every damned cherry off that tree within the day ... there isn't a lot of fruit on the trees that early in the season at high altitude I guess. Those birds committed a highly orchestrated version of avian agricultural theft. Fuckers, I love Rainier Cherries.

I'll bet they left more than ripped up leaves on the ground though.  The tree looked like it was stripped with a rake.

14 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

And proud of that charge and probably hailed by some in the neighborhood as a hero.

Lots of assumptions on your part there.

Believing your own bullshit is usually counterproductive.

I do agree, threats don't do much.  A couple of convictions though are another matter.

"You know why Black Lives don't matter, because you Black People...",  his alleged comment, Yes, I assume that because this comment rolled off his tongue so easily in the heat of the moment it probably means that this is a long held belief and it just flowed.  And the same holds true in my neighborhood, Tom's and everywhere else I have lived.

Read the Police Beat and the Court Report in the morning.  Yep, it works.

2 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

"You know why Black Lives don't matter, because you Black People...",  his alleged comment, Yes, I assume that because this comment rolled off his tongue so easily in the heat of the moment it probably means that this is a long held belief and it just flowed.  And the same holds true in my neighborhood, Tom's and everywhere else I have lived.

Read the Police Beat and the Court Report in the morning.  Yep, it works.

Yet somehow trespass and theft are excused.

15 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

13 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

So the lie and the stealing have consequences but the threat, if it happened, does not, right?

13 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

"You know why Black Lives don't matter, because you Black People...",  his alleged comment, Yes, I assume that because this comment rolled off his tongue so easily in the heat of the moment it probably means that this is a long held belief and it just flowed.

If he said that he's an ass but I've had people lie to me about permission to pick fruit and it just flowed, as you say. Like lying is habitual for them, so I find anything they say hard to believe.

15 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

medal_514989514_1000.jpg

16 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I looked on the Property Appraiser's web site.  I wanted to see if his wife's name was Karen.  It's not.

No, but it might as well be.  When they moved here she signed onto a forum called Nextdoor and immediately began to rally to change things to her liking, including getting rid of the only black councilperson in PG.  She also, on numerous occasions, elaborated on her Karen fears as the reason she was so adamant about making things to her liking.  And she's been at every council meeting I've attended with her Karen friends, one of whom said the reason we should get rid of the black man on the city council is because, "He doesn't even own land!"

7 hours ago, Cacoethesic Tom said:

So the lie and the stealing have consequences but the threat, if it happened, does not, right?

If he said that he's an ass but I've had people lie to me about permission to pick fruit and it just flowed, as you say. Like lying is habitual for them, so I find anything they say hard to believe.

I've met you Tom (It's real cool to see the look on someone's face when you introduce yourself to someone using your SA name) and I doubt if you would have responded  with such language when you confronted a lying, stealin', Mango sucking person.  And I'm pretty sure you would not threaten someone with death over such a violation of your property.

I really need to get out of retail.  In 4 1/2 hours this morning there were at least 3 dog whistle or blatant racist remarks.

BB And his elk are going to have some free time on their hands -

Reddit, Acting Against Hate Speech, Bans ‘The_Donald’ Subreddit

The influential pro-Trump community broke the rules on harassment and targeting, said Reddit, which also banned other groups.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/technology/reddit-hate-speech.html

3 hours ago, Jules said:

No, but it might as well be.  When they moved here she signed onto a forum called Nextdoor and immediately began to rally to change things to her liking, including getting rid of the only black councilperson in PG.  She also, on numerous occasions, elaborated on her Karen fears as the reason she was so adamant about making things to her liking.  And she's been at every council meeting I've attended with her Karen friends, one of whom said the reason we should get rid of the black man on the city council is because, "He doesn't even own land!"

I asked my wife (she  was born here) who was the last city council person that was born here.  She said her father and I said no he was born in Alabama and moved here in the 30's.  then I said Hugh C. III.  She thought he was born in Memphis.  I'm having trouble finding a list of all past city council persons.  We don't believe that Rachel or Jaha were born here.  She married a local and he was wherever his mother lived at the time.  Born here city council people are a rare breed.

3 minutes ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I asked my wife (she  was born here) who was the last city council person that was born here.  She said her father and I said no he was born in Alabama and moved here in the 30's.  then I said Hugh C. III.  She thought he was born in Memphis.  I'm having trouble finding a list of all past city council persons.  We don't believe that Rachel or Jaha were born here.  She married a local and he was wherever his mother lived at the time.  Born here city council people are a rare breed.

I think Rachel said she was born here but can't be sure about that.  She might have said something to that effect at the 2018 debate. 

I've heard people say Jaha was born here and that his family history goes back over 100 years here.  His mother is Martha Bireda so maybe your wife would know that name.   I do know Jaha spent s lot of years overseas.  He's mentioned it in several conversations we've had.  But I don't recall if he ever said he was born here or not.  I just took the word of other people I know.

23 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Why bother?  I don't need the gossip.  The guy will be branded a racist forever.

Agricultural theft is a

third degree felony is punishable by up to five years in prison and up to a $5,000 fine. If the stolen property is an aquaculture species raised at a certified aquaculture facility, the crime carries a mandatory $10,000 fine.

A couple of charges like that might help keep out thieves and trespassers.

Wonder if that will work on the squirrels?

1 hour ago, bridhb said:

Wonder if that will work on the squirrels?

I've got a nice slick plastic band made from a plastic garbage can that pretty much stops the squirrels.  I also have a nice big Magnolia next to it and the seed pods are easy to get to.  By the time the squirrels are done with them the Mangos are off the tree to the neighbors, the freezer for mango margaritas or a local charity food pantry.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

It wasn't called Punta Gorda then.  There wasn't much of an indian settlement around here either.  They stayed closer to the gulf coast and came up the river to harvest food but preferred the coast and barrier islands.  Most of the mounds are in that area.

Oh, BTW, the teepees don't fit.  They lived in Chickees on the hatchees.

fs80245a.jpg

16 hours ago, Sean said:

BB And his elk are going to have some free time on their hands -

Reddit, Acting Against Hate Speech, Bans ‘The_Donald’ Subreddit

The influential pro-Trump community broke the rules on harassment and targeting, said Reddit, which also banned other groups.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/technology/reddit-hate-speech.html

I've lurked r/The_Donald, and the IQ level was way fucking higher than BB's. That dude's from one of the chans. 

I personally think reddit took it a bit far.  There's 3 or 4 subreddits from my subscription list that got nuked.  Probably because some conservative didn't something somebody said?  The whole site could use a big dose of "oh, harden the fuck up, already..." when it comes to dealing with opposing viewpoints. 

17 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

I've met you Tom (It's real cool to see the look on someone's face when you introduce yourself to someone using your SA name) and I doubt if you would have responded  with such language when you confronted a lying, stealin', Mango sucking person.  And I'm pretty sure you would not threaten someone with death over such a violation of your property. 

The last time a fruit thief lied to me was long enough ago that I didn't have a phone with a camera but taking pics and calling cops is how I would respond today.

13 hours ago, Saorsa said:

It wasn't called Punta Gorda then.  There wasn't much of an indian settlement around here either.  They stayed closer to the gulf coast and came up the river to harvest food but preferred the coast and barrier islands.  Most of the mounds are in that area.

But they Burnt a Store when pissed at meddlesome US troops, or something.

10 minutes ago, frenchie said:

I've lurked r/The_Donald, and the IQ level was way fucking higher than BB's. That dude's from one of the chans. 

I personally think reddit took it a bit far.  There's 3 or 4 subreddits from my subscription list that got nuked.  Probably because some conservative didn't something somebody said?  The whole site could use a big dose of "oh, harden the fuck up, already..." when it comes to dealing with opposing viewpoints. 

I'll defer to your informed opinion. I've not been on a Reddit thread in ages. 

20 hours ago, Jules said:
On 6/26/2020 at 8:06 AM, Jules said:

PUNTA GORDA, Fla. - Punta Gorda police said they had to investigate their first hate crime in 10 years on Tuesday, when a clear act of racism was caught on video. 

Katrina M. and her cousin Leiya R. went to pick mangoes from a neighborhood tree on Hibiscus Drive — the owners of the home were fine with the duo taking their mangoes, but Donald Mueller thought they were stealing.

Uh, oh...

Man charged in mango dispute now taken to civil court

A man accused of spitting and making racially biased comments against women picking mangoes in Punta Gorda Isles is now being sued in civil court.

Donald Mueller, 73, was arrested on June 23, charged with two counts of burglary with assault or battery, after the argument with the two women, Katrina Montonaro and Leiya Rey.

According to the police report, Montonaro, a White woman, had stopped to gather mangoes on Hibiscus Drive with her cousin Rey, a Black woman.  Mueller believed the two were stealing mangoes from his neighbor, though Montonaro claimed she had gotten permission from the homeowner in the past.

MangoMueller.jpg.d3e6811b89df40bd6dd00bcf0b737e78.jpg

He came up to their vehicle and reportedly said, “If I see this truck again, I am going to pump you full with bullet holes.”

He also called the women “stupid, thieving bastard” and stated, “You know why Black lives don’t matter, because you Black people keep...”

Before walking away, he spat on the women — once directly and a second time when it was unclear where his saliva landed, according to the police report.

The Punta Gorda Police Department charged Mueller with two counts of burglary with battery and initially reported the incident as a hate crime, but on Thursday, Lt. Dylan Renz told the Sun it did not actually qualify as one.

“The SAO (State Attorney’s Office) reviewed this and determined that it did not qualify as a hate crime,” Renz said. “Our understanding is that based on case law, although there is clearly evidence of racial bias, there is no evidence that the racial bias was the cause of the crime. Basically, the disturbance was caused because he believed someone was stealing mangoes and not because of bias. The bias only came out after the disturbance had begun.”

Samantha Syoen, spokesperson for the State Attorney’s Office, said earlier in the week the case is under review. Mueller’s arraignment is scheduled for Aug. 10.

The civil lawsuit was filed by Montonaro and asks for damages in excess of $30,000 for intentional infliction of emotional distress and battery.

Rey is not a plaintiff in the suit, though her presence is noted. The lawsuit stated Montonaro was in the driver’s seat of the vehicle, though the police report says she was in the passenger’s seat, and the video filmed by Rey appears to be taken from the driver’s seat.

The suit states Mueller’s conduct was “outrageous” and goes “beyond all bounds of decency,” stating he knew or should have known his behavior would result in emotional distress.

I see that the "permission" to take the fruit has evolved a bit. The reporter has had plenty of time to do what attorney Jason Lucas did and contact the property owners. Pushing one version of the story without even checking into it is just sloppy. Checking into it and then not printing the answer when it wasn't convenient is worse. I wonder which of those happened here?

In other mango news, my current hoard of dried mango is in these two gallon ziplocs but I do have a couple of tupperware containers squirreled away. It's over for the year for my big tree and I think there are just a few left on one of my smaller ones.

DriedMango.jpg

Mango is spelt Nam Doc Mai :D

2 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Calling the "reporters" at that paper, reporters is an insult to reporters.  But sloppy starts with their bosses and owners.

Racist old man spits at black woman and tells her why black lives don't matter. 

Pretty easy story to report.  No skills required.  It's what America loves.

22 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

Calling the "reporters" at that paper, reporters is an insult to reporters.  But sloppy starts with their bosses and owners.

I like Betsy Calvert and Josh Olive. It just seems to me that in this case, a sentence like this one:

Mueller believed the two were stealing mangoes from his neighbor, though Montonaro claimed she had gotten permission from the homeowner in the past.

shouldn't require a boss to come along and suggest actually asking the homeowner.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:02 PM, Mid said:

Nam Doc Mai

%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%873_1.png