Ajax

Regatta Network- Actual Times?

Gang,

I cannot find a setting in the scoring area that will post the "actual times" along side the corrected times.  I also viewed many other clubs' score sheets and none of them list actual times.

I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something. Does this setting exist somewhere, or no?  I appreciate your help.

Ajax - I'm not sure that Regatta Network posts the actual times.  Another issue I have with Regatta Network is it is more complex to get a direct link to finish results for posting elsewhere.  I setup a number of events and prefer Yachtscoring.  More expensive, but lots more flexibility.  Below is a long winded reply, but you may be interested in my proposal at the bottom.

Here on Narragansett Bay we have The Twenty Hundred Club - a virtual club (no employees or assets except the drink coolers!).  I transitioned the club website to WordPress about 8 years back.  We used to do scratch sheets and scoring in Excel, then later transitioned to  open source Race Sail.  The Race Sail transition was an improvement and allowed creating a file for posting results.  We looked at using Yachtscoring but since the membership and 5 races was (still is) only $110, we couldn't justify the cost.  Eventually I bit the bullet and setup our own home grown web based registration and scoring system.  These are the attributes:

Website is done with WordPress with the free All in One Event Calendar plugin by Time.ly for calendar

• Membership, Race Registration and Personal / Boat Data (including PHRF values) done using free open source Prestashop and this year transitioned to Thirty Bees which is a open source fork of Prestashop version 1.6.  I refer to this as the Shop.
  • Custom WordPress plugin I wrote with the following capabilities
  • Administration done via website using login to access protected capabilities (scratch sheet admin, scoring, etc.)
  • Scratch sheet generation automatically published on website  including classes, splits & prelim/final - entries are pulled from the Shop. Twenty Hundred Club also has a "penalty" system so if a boat places on the podium, the next year they have a 5, 10 or 15 second penalty on their PHRF rating.  This is shown in a separate column on the scratch sheet. If a Pursuit race it looks for the slowest rated boat and calculates start times for all other boats based on that.
  • Race recording setup with race parameters - Pursuit or PHRF TOD, course length by class, start time each class, preliminary / final results 
  • Race finish recording - has ability to download CSV file to print paper recording sheet in sail order number for RC, runs on phone to allow automatic recording of a finish with a button for each boat to record the GPS time.  All times can be manually entered / updated to make any necessary corrections. Another dropdown allows overriding time with seperate standard scoring terms such as DNC, OCS, RET, etc.  When the person scoring has the time, a separate button is used to upload the data on the phone to the web.
  • Race Results automatically displayed on the website as scores are uploaded.  

Here are some example links from the Twenty Hundred Club - note the year and race selection dropdowns :

Race Page with various links

Scratch Sheet - note how easy it is to provide a direct link in the URL by year & race

Results Link - note how easy it is to provide a direct link in the URL by year & race

So - why would this interest you? I've been thinking about making a generic WordPress plugin for use either as a service like Yachtscoring & Regatta Network or as a stand alone plugin for club websites.  Some of the stuff I've done for the Twenty Hundred Club scoring was written in a way that I need to clean up to make it universal for general use.  I did similarly in developing Crew Manager originally just for my own boat, then transitioned to a low cost subscription service so any boat may have a website with crew schedule, coordination, notification and results.

After I haul my boat in the Fall, I will do a bunch of website cleanup and more software coding. If CHESS might be interested in being a Beta test for this, we should talk - PM me.

• Like 2

Very interesting! Thanks. 

One of my buddies was drifting his cursor around the results page and discovered that if you click the teeny, tiny "Race number" next to the column labeled "Corrected Times" it expands the results to include all information, including Actual Times.

Just in case any of you were interested.

• Like 1

We use Regatta Network for registration, payment and hosting the documents.

We then use Sailwave for scoring because it is offline and we have much more flexibility. The bandwidth at our club is sketchy at best.

Is this enough info?

If Regatta Networks did something as simple as to style the race number to look like a button, then they wouldn't have to bury
an explanation in the word salad.

regatta_overview_and_detail_898px.png.4d9b68038bdc1bc12df6bbb306dae714.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Is this enough info?

If Regatta Networks did something as simple as to style the race number to look like a button, then they wouldn't have to bury

Thanks for posting that in a graphical format. I felt that my explanation wasn't very good.

20 hours ago, Somebody Else said:

Is this enough info?

Some interesting Yacht club, boat and owner names in your area. Who knew Anacortes was so liberal?