Sign in to follow this  
CapnK

1) Wreck boat 2) go Social 3) Profit!

I may have discovered the new sailing-related social media moneymaking paradigm. It works as described in the title^^^

Remember the couple who sank their boat 2nd day out, then got crowdfunded for a few $K and a new 36' boat for $1?

This guy near-repeated their, well, what - journey/mistake/saga/other? - loses his boat on the beach, attempts 'recovery' for 5 weeks with no success, and yet winds up with a GoFundMe worth $8K and a free donated 25' Hunter.

https://coastalobserver.com/sailors-night-out-ends-on-a-lee-shore/

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/boat-stuck-on-litchfield-beach-since-may-finally-towed-off-beach-on-friday

More details, search for "grundoon sailboat" on Bookface.

Screenshot_2020-06-28 Help Josh Powers get his home back floating organized by Richard Elliott.png

A guy just pulled a classic case of this here on the beach at Ft Morgan Ala. Sailed out of Mobile Bay for the first time after coming down the Tombigbee Waterway from the Tennessee Valley and lasted about 2 hours in salt water. He never cleared the shoals at the mouth of the bay but turned eastward along the beach still inside the outer sandbars. He sailed about an hour inside the bar until that false channel faded away a couple miles along the beach and he dropped his sails and decided to anchor and maybe swim to the pretty white sand to take a walk! He didn't have his anchor shackeled to his anchor line and by the time he screwed around and found a shackle in the cabin and went back forward his anchor line had washed overboard. He dug out another anchorline and finally shackled his anchor to it (probably without any chain) and couldn't get a set but he was already in the shorebreak. He spent a couple days expecting his Facebook fans to come bail him out and then Storm Cristobal administered the 'coup de grace'. 

Now he has been gifted a 23' trailer sailer, and bought from his Fund Me donations a $12,000 Siedelmann 31 and had enough left over to buy a nice Lincoln SUV! People went way overboard enabling him and he never salvaged the boat on the beach. He was assessed some serious fines by the CG and DNR but I doubt they will ever chase him down.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.nickerson.355

• Like 1

Yeah, maybe. Let's be honest- a donated Hunter 25 is sabotage, not assistance. ;)

• Like 3

The Hunter deal fell through so maybe the guy is not as clueless as I first imagined...

29 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Yeah, maybe. Let's be honest- a donated Hunter 25 is sabotage, not assistance. ;)

Point.

13 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

The Hunter deal fell through so maybe the guy is not as clueless as I first imagined...

I saw he had to go to Pennsylvania to get it (it was on an included trailer), I wonder if that's the reason...

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

A guy just pulled a classic case of this here on the beach at Ft Morgan Ala.

Wow, he's like the King of this. :D

Just now, CapnK said:

Wow, he's like the King of this. :D

I gave him a reminder that he needed to at least make an effort to clean up his mess on the beach from the first boat or the authorities might come knocking on his donated hotel room door to assess some fines. He got very threatening to me personally with threats to come knocking on my door in the middle of the night. He is back in Florida now but I am waiting to see how long he lasts with his donated boat. He actually started two Facebook fund me pages. One was called 'Gary's Emergency Fund' while he was still sleeping on the beach where his boat was coming apart and then he started a second fund when he started looking for a replacement boat. A couple of his Facebook readers reminded him that his fund me plea was to salvage or dispose of his wreck but he denies that was ever the stated purpose. I think he raised over $8000 between the two fundraisers but he indicated that some of the money wasn't being released to him. People are starting to figure his BS out. He seems to have pulled his dual fundraiser pages from his Facebook site but they are still up on his supporters pages.

https://www.facebook.com/donate/951424435279485/10223673860858425/

image.png.ea1cec423f326faba43d4f00a3b874ac.png

Here is some of his PR work!

101390720_2823652061021428_1871352516843667456_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=ZLUKlX0HTrMAX9lhWp7&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=cd79e5db040d4edc216a1ac1c5c44580&oe=5F1D1BCF

A regular Robinson Crusoe he is!  

48 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

101390720_2823652061021428_1871352516843667456_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=ZLUKlX0HTrMAX9lhWp7&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=cd79e5db040d4edc216a1ac1c5c44580&oe=5F1D1BCF

That looks a lot like one of those drop traps used on stray & feral cats:

It's possible someone else has set up that dinghy with 'cruising gear' to entice Gary inside. Then trap and neuter him, making sure he gets all his shots and is cleaned of fleas and ticks. Then a microchip is implanted and he is released back into the Alabama wilds.

T-N-R is the humane way to deal with incorrigible street cats. 

• Like 2

First boat a Westerly Centaur! Even that twin keeled tank couldn't withstand this sort of cluelessness!

101837093_2830173997035901_1228453105866706727_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=AZaev0T3i2YAX9gWnZH&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=0cf5315bcc46b316e4e68ead1bb9fc9e&oe=5F1FDE98

Boat gave her life for him!

Worse part is that his new puppy he picked up somewhere along the river fell overboard and he watched it swim ashore and he claims he was so busy 'navigating' he didn't go back for the poor dog. I think the dog knew what was in store for him and bailed out while the getting out was good! Then once he was shipwrecked he claimed to his enablers that he had people out looking for his dog for him!

2 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

He got very threatening to me personally with threats to come knocking on my door in the middle of the night.

LOL...did you think you were going to get a different result?

• Like 1

Just now, Ajax said:

LOL...did you think you were going to get a different result?

No, I was just trying to help him understand that you can just leave your boat up on cinderblocks like he might do up in the Appalachian hills and that the Beach Nazi's would take it bad if he didn't show an effort to mitigating his ignorance. I didn't put it quite like that but pointed out that any engine oil or fuel slicks would bring the wrath of the officials and homeowners in a hurry. Here is the result of the first visit by the Coast Guard and Marine Police.

$45K and a $55K threat for such irresponsibility. I kind of felt sorry for the guy at the time.

100989280_2823471977706103_411714847735021568_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Z3fIySXAKkUAX-4Uq9J&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.xx&oh=26f523f69e895bf790ea74a8cbcafe79&oe=5F1E2FDB

Per Day! I got a served a similar document down in the VI by the DPNR for a sunken boat and it was only for $10K per day and I'll tell you that got me off my ass! That boat left the environment in a hurry! 

I am just doing this all wrong.

Just now, B.J. Porter said:

I am just doing this all wrong.

Well marrying a brilliant, wealthy gynocologist sugar-mama is the next best pathway! :lol:

1 minute ago, Ajax said:

Well marrying a brilliant, wealthy gynocologist sugar-mama is the next best pathway! :lol:

She's cute, too, so that's not a bad path.

Though to be fair, no one was wealthy when we got married.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Misbehavin' said:

104102811_2843997572320210_6959964011292

No clue at all.

he saw it once that some great sailor somewhere backwinded the genoa to help the bow come around so as not to use as much rudder when tacking...

We should emend the thread's title to include a missing term. The usual meme formula reads:

1. Do blah blah blah

2(opt). Do jhugeaihugerhuger

3. ???

4. Profit!

(This business plan traces directly to the Underpants Gnomes, in case you care, and is as good as another in the days of GoFunds & soc/med influencing.)

3. ??? is the magic reagent, virtual pixie dust, the philosopher's stone. La Vag has it. Delos has a small box they keep in the spares closet and sprinkle as needed. Doodles had some for awhile but snorted it all in one lost weekend in the Exumas. It is possible ???= tits, tho there are plenty of boat tits that miss their earnings targets. Rimas seems to have more ??? than you'd credit him with (titless Estonian hobo, no skills).

Not sure Gary has any more ??? than you could extract from boiling a 'Bama flag and an old Faces of Death VHS tape together in a kettle of Coors Lite for two hours.

• Like 2

Not sure how this got filed under Alabama Life and Culture... Actually he lost his dog on another river but seems to be looking for it at this point on 'Dog River'.

101509516_2815478465172121_8027888385597112320_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=Osbpw867wngAX9j7jFx&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=4c0be5c9058c12809e7ddd1b98382f9c&oe=5F2088DA

Cute Dog, glad he had the sense to jump ship before getting to the Gulf.

100541525_2807406009312700_360359657488777216_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=SVCHOKcuOf0AX_Z1PgT&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=5e859c680f914068c1417b923cbc489f&oe=5F1E0DBE

100804939_2820632971323337_2175270218094346240_o.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=rMkfC09AJeoAX94PjXg&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=ef96289fa1cf9340ff05965ff7ce3d1c&oe=5F20F454

Initiation to the Gulf of Mexico! This was about 5 minutes after sailing out of Mobile Bay. That saltwater sure is rough!

thanks rasputin for posting this

I saw this guys sob story pop up on the "westerly yacht owners" group on faceborg a few weeks ago and thought he was just some old school cruiser who suffered bad luck. didn't think to check further, though didn't give him any money

it really grinds my gears, as I am scrimping and saving every spare cent at the moment in order to buy and properly maintain a similar boat next year. but this fucker gets a nice old centaur, immediately wrecks it due to carelessness / dunning-kruger, then shamelessly goes a-grifting, and even worse, successfully scams like 20k to buy a new 30-footer! wtf? could it get any worse?

23 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

I gave him a reminder that he needed to at least make an effort to clean up his mess on the beach from the first boat or the authorities might come knocking on his donated hotel room door to assess some fines. He got very threatening to me personally with threats to come knocking on my door in the middle of the night.

wow, what a fucking c***

20 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

Worse part is that his new puppy he picked up somewhere along the river fell overboard and he watched it swim ashore and he claims he was so busy 'navigating' he didn't go back for the poor dog. I think the dog knew what was in store for him and bailed out while the getting out was good!

nice. I am usually against online hate mobs, but this fucker deserves it, makes me sick to my stomach to see good old boats wrecked by idiots, hopefully there is some karmic retribution in the future :/

also lol @ that massive domestic fridge jammed in there in the above pic

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

I saw this guys sob story pop up on the "westerly yacht owners" group on faceborg a few weeks ago and thought he was just some old school cruiser who suffered bad luck. didn't think to check further, though didn't give him any money

Yeah, I don't usually get riled up like this over people like this but this guy is just so self righteous and so many well intending people have just become his enablers. 

image.thumb.png.fdd8c8123e16e023bc8d665276686091.png

I just hope he stays in Florida...

The ironic thing is that when someone answered his plea to help him out with some wheels so he could get back down to the beach to do his cleanup from his donated motel room, someone gave him a Lincoln SUV. Guess what the model name is, a NAVIGATOR! Maybe he can replace Matthew McConaughey doing those adds on TV.

I think the vehicle must have belonged to someone on Dauphin Island which regularly gets flooded and the residents drive around in a foot or so of seawater on just a mere high tide. He mentions that his first foray in the NAVIGATOR one of the brake shoes or discs were seized up from such abuse and he drove it unaware until the brake got hot enough to set a tire on fire! And the hits just keep on coming!

image.png.01b6918e0a2f837a5a4da76ca07b3870.png

47 minutes ago, robtoujours said:

it really grinds my gears, as I am scrimping and saving every spare cent at the moment in order to buy and properly maintain a similar boat next year. but this fucker gets a nice old centaur, immediately wrecks it due to carelessness / dunning-kruger, then shamelessly goes a-grifting, and even worse, successfully scams like 20k to buy a new 30-footer! wtf? could it get any worse?

wow, what a fucking c***

nice. I am usually against online hate mobs, but this fucker deserves it, makes me sick to my stomach to see good old boats wrecked by idiots, hopefully there is some karmic retribution in the future :/

also lol @ that massive domestic fridge jammed in there in the above pic

I sympathize with your frustration. This guy'll get his comeuppance, one day.

Hilarious!

He writes "god works in mysterious ways".  Now he is stranded 20 miles from the water.  Does he not draw the conclusion that his god is trying to keep him off the water? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

image.png.01b6918e0a2f837a5a4da76ca07b3870.png

LOL, "I have always had a difficult time reaching out and asking for help", yeah right!!

Translation: "I never knew grifting via social media was so lucrative!"

Gotta be interesting from a psychological point of view, seems to me some strange mix of what is termed histronic personality disorder combined with dependent / antisocial

As for the Lincoln Navigator, shame he already has a new boat, someone could have gifted him a Newbridge Navigator to go with it - just as sturdy as the Centaur, only 19ft, and some have a junk rig so no fancy sail handling needed! Apparently they sail like shit, but in his case, I am guessing the slower the better

So his new ride only cost $1200.. nice deal, plenty of cash left over for the cruising kitty. unfortunately for the state authorities, looks like he might be skipping the country ;-)

GNickerson1.png

Nickerson2.png

Nickerson3.png

Well shit @Rasputin22 as I think we discussed, that cat docked (illegally) across the Dog River from my marina... apparently AL  is just fulla jackwagons, present company excepted. You oughta seen the thing that just left, home built WTF called JUBILEE, hailing Fairhope. Avoid, danger danger

I remember Foley, AL. I think it was the westerly limit of the VT 1 student pilot solo operating area for Navy primary flight training. Wasn't Terry Beasley or some other Oakland Raiders wide receiver from there? One of our SAR briefings included the warning that, if we had to bail out over the piney woods in that area and saw a small shack with smoke curling out of it, don't go near or you might be shot by a shiner.  Nice to know some things don't change.

Beasley? It was none other than the Snake Kenny Stabler!  Who went on to invent the Mullet Toss at the Flora-Bama roadhouse on the state line at the beach. 

KEN STABLER RAIDERS RARE PHOTO FLIPS REPORTER THE BIRD | #63326301

There is another high schooler from Foley that has done pretty good for himself in the NFL.

Julio Jones Biography: Is he married? Find out his father, mother ...

On 6/29/2020 at 1:15 PM, robtoujours said:

My feelings exactly. Besides the obvious con, it really irks me that a Centaur went down this way. There aren't so many of them on this side of the Atlantic. If it had to be a boat, why couldn't it have been a MacGregor, or a Catalina? Better yet, why hasn't someone handed this guy a free RV and slapped his arse west? Can't sink an RV... don't have to worry about lee shores... and you're not going to be destroying a 50 year old boat...

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 12:45 PM, Diarmuid said:

We should emend the thread's title to include a missing term. The usual meme formula reads:

1. Do blah blah blah

2(opt). Do jhugeaihugerhuger

3. ???

4. Profit!

(This business plan traces directly to the Underpants Gnomes, in case you care, and is as good as another in the days of GoFunds & soc/med influencing.)

Mea culpa. I knew of the meme mostly from the heyday of /. back at the turn o' century, did not know of the South Park origination, thanks.

FWIW, I originally had a ??? step in the title, but edited it out when I realized these folks don't really seem to have a ??? stage - they go straight to Profit from Social.

59 minutes ago, The Lucky One said:

My feelings exactly. Besides the obvious con, it really irks me that a Centaur went down this way. There aren't so many of them on this side of the Atlantic. If it had to be a boat, why couldn't it have been a MacGregor, or a Catalina? Better yet, why hasn't someone handed this guy a free RV and slapped his arse west? Can't sink an RV... don't have to worry about lee shores... and you're not going to be destroying a 50 year old boat...

He had a free RV, a really nice one. I think it was his Uncles and he was living in it until the kids who must have kicked him out.

44817983_1792822480771063_5724843289878724608_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=VMmgc2JwaGMAX9kveGM&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=a5bf6fdd4f87fc7587cb97edb07ec6c7&oe=5F20FC1E

Reminds me of my ex's family: Why work hard for something when you can cry a sob story, get it free, and proceed run it into the ground? Work for everything from vehicles and houses to jobs and relationships...