1) He made it
2) He landed in an empty spot.

Well done.

ps.  He didn't survive.

• Like 1

That's some Duke's of Hazard shit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

That's some fucking dumb Duke's of Hazard shit.

FIFY,  talk about  go out in a blaze of glory, must have been on something to think that was gonna end well.

17 minutes ago, Navig8tor said:

FIFY,  talk about  go out in a blaze of glory, must have been on something to think that was gonna end well.

hold my beer......

• Like 1

Driver was not trying to make the ferry – his brakes failed.  one eye witness called him a hero.

“…witnesses [said] that [the driver] attempted to warn bystanders of the issue any way possible, attempting to miss cars and honking the RV's horn.  He was trying to stop by swerving into the metal gates on the side of the road," one person who witnessed the crash explained.  Sgt. Hugues Beaulieu of the Quebec provincial police explained that mechanical issues on the RV were likely to blame.”

https://www.thedrive.com/news/28755/one-dead-after-out-of-control-rv-launches-off-quebec-dock-crashing-atop-crowded-ferry 

• Like 1

Being in Quebec one can only assume the only mechanical issue was the 18 Molson Dry's the driver crushed prior to realizing he missed the ferry and St. Hubert's would be closed by the time he caught the next one.

• Like 1

Holy Flying RV Batman!  That was some impressive air time, sorry for the tragic ending but the dude went out w/ a bang.

A ferry?

To cross that little river?

Fuck that.

Hold my beer and watch this.

Looking at that vid somethings not quite adding up, the speed that he hit that ramp despite trying to bleed off speed due to brake faillure and then the airtime gained implies a pretty long steep hill on which the brakes must've failed to get a fricken campervan launching like that, I have to say.

What do you reckon the distance from the ramp to the boats deck was I 'm guessing 20-30 M, we are talking some serious physics,  do we know the make and model of crushed camper and a laden weight of the camper and the angle of ramp?

As I understand it the girlfriend survived, I would suggest she buy a lotto ticket.

• Like 2

Cruise control malfunction..? 

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.1412402,-69.7251695,3a,75y,213.29h,90.53t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spmrXMZLnXav7HX6M0LvUCg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DpmrXMZLnXav7HX6M0LvUCg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D138.80812%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

looks like there was a truck run off area just before the docks  which lead me to believe that they have had this problems before  or at very least knew it was possibility.  it looks like its a 3 mile grade down hill to the water.  once you get rolling,  and cant stop,  youre kinda screwed, plow into houses and ride that train to the end.  he did do a good job threading the needle and hitting the ramps rather than hitting the concrete foundations for the ramps.  but he missed the run-off ramp though...

• Like 1

Must have panicked.  Should have tried tugging the wheel and rolling the thing onto its side. 

Anyone call Guinness??  That's gotta be the most airtime by a caravan Ever!!!

3 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.1412402,-69.7251695,3a,75y,213.29h,90.53t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1spmrXMZLnXav7HX6M0LvUCg!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DpmrXMZLnXav7HX6M0LvUCg%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D138.80812%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

looks like there was a truck run off area just before the docks  which lead me to believe that they have had this problems before  or at very least knew it was possibility.  it looks like its a 3 mile grade down hill to the water.  once you get rolling,  and cant stop,  youre kinda screwed, plow into houses and ride that train to the end.  he did do a good job threading the needle and hitting the ramps rather than hitting the concrete foundations for the ramps.  but he missed the run-off ramp though...

I'm guessing that run off didn't look that appealing with a wall at the end and considering how close you are to the windscreen in most campervans.

The ramps look like they stow at about 35-40° that will get you air.

Surprised no engine braking downshifting thru gears or handbrake were tried, talk about terminal velocity.

12 hours ago, climenuts said:

Being in Quebec one can only assume the only mechanical issue was the 18 Molson Dry's the driver crushed prior to realizing he missed the ferry and St. Hubert's would be closed by the time he caught the next one.

That's one good ferry tail.

1 hour ago, Whinging Pom said:

Must have panicked.  Should have tried tugging the wheel and rolling the thing onto its side. 

Either way he’s road pizza 

55 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Anyone call Guinness??  That's gotta be the most airtime by a caravan Ever!!!

i wouldn't be surprised if survival is a criteria for entry...

1 hour ago, Navig8tor said:

I'm guessing that run off didn't look that appealing with a wall at the end and considering how close you are to the windscreen in most campervans.

The ramps look like they stow at about 35-40° that will get you air.

Surprised no engine braking downshifting thru gears or handbrake were tried, talk about terminal velocity.

Those run offs are sand.  I saw a truck that hit one at speed and all the wheels barely made it off the pavement.  You would want you seatbelt tight.  If I lost brakes on a downhill I would be hoping for one.  I would say that one doesn't look easy to hit with a parking lot on one side.  If someone was trying to come out they could be in the way. 

Like I’ve said often times before. Don’t steer with your knees while rolling a joint. If you spill your beer or drop your cigarette it may distract you from properly jumping the ferry.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, seaker said:

Those run offs are sand.  I saw a truck that hit one at speed and all the wheels barely made it off the pavement.  You would want you seatbelt tight.  If I lost brakes on a downhill I would be hoping for one.  I would say that one doesn't look easy to hit with a parking lot on one side.  If someone was trying to come out they could be in the way. 

If you look at the link for google maps up thread, it may be that he was on the wrong side of the line of traffic to hit the run off.  If so, and his breaks went at the top, he was truly fucked way before he hit the ramp.  Basically jump at that point...  

1 hour ago, Sail4beer said:

Like I’ve said often times before. Don’t steer with your knees while rolling a joint. If you spill your beer or drop your cigarette it may distract you from properly jumping the ferry.

But do they listen? Do they?

And then this happens.

If the ferry had been just a bit faster he'd have landed in the water and may well have lived.

4 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

If the ferry had been just a bit faster he'd have landed in the water and may well have lived.

If and its a pretty big if they managed to get out of that mangled wreck before it went to the bottom, landing in water at that speed would have resulted in damage similar to what we saw when it impacted the deck and it would have probably rolled over once settled.

Okay,  but if I get the chance to pick:  Land on heavy Steel structure with lots of corners or In the drink,  I'm going with the one that kills me slower.

1 hour ago, seaker said:

On the way down the Mogollon Rim from Flagstaff to Phoenix, AZ, you drop almost 6000 feet of elevation. One especially long 6-7% grade offers a sand pullout -- but only at the bottom of a looong series of whiplash curves, roadcuts, and steep drops. I laugh every time we see the signs: "Runaway Truck Ramp, 16 mi. Ahead."

A fully-loaded rig with no brakes would be approaching the sound barrier by the time they hit it. "Hold it together, Billy! Only six more miles."

The two in the RV were likely injured on takeoff. It's questionable if they could have escaped after a water landing.

Awful situation.

I'm guessing he would have survived if he hit the water instead.

6 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I'm guessing he would have survived if he had brakes.

Fify

2 hours ago, shaggy said:

If you look at the link for google maps up thread, it may be that he was on the wrong side of the line of traffic to hit the run off.  If so, and his breaks went at the top, he was truly fucked way before he hit the ramp.  Basically jump at that point...  

Watched it again.  This is 100% what happened, He was on the wrong side of the cars to hit the truck ramp.  

Just by how far the ferry was from the shore even at the start of the video i was sure that it was going to land in the water, but holy shit that was impressive.

Probably a lot better for the passengers if it had hit the water though.

12 hours ago, Great Red Shark said:

If your aunt had balls she’d be your uncle.

Or, as we say over here, if ifs and ands were pots and pans, there’d be no need for tinkers.

Just sayin’

I don't think the chances of survival would have been improved much by a water landing - even if they would have survived the initial impact, drowning seems to be inevitable

That was some serious hold-my-beer Evel Knievel shit. Sad ending but what a way to spend your last 15 seconds   

I bet he couldn't pull that off again.

Cause he's dead....   (dark humor alert)

32 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

I bet he couldn't pull that off again.

Cause he's dead....   (dark humor alert)

Disagree with you

Put whatever's left of him in another RV at the top of the hill and let go, chances are you get pretty much the same result

1 minute ago, alphafb552 said:

Disagree with you

Put whatever's left of him in another RV at the top of the hill and let go, chances are you get pretty much the same result

looking at the narrow opening between those BIG pieces of concrete... he might need several attempts considering his steering ability after his last attempt...

with the guardrails making it basically a funnel to the inevitable exit, I don't doubt that 1 bit..  Xmas parties must be fun with the vid outtakes no??

3 minutes ago, daan62 said:

looking at the narrow opening between those BIG pieces of concrete... he might need several attempts considering his steering ability after his last attempt...

well of course it might take a few tries!

5 minutes ago, shaggy said:

with the guardrails making it basically a funnel to the inevitable exit, I don't doubt that 1 bit..  Xmas parties must be fun with the vid outtakes no??

i guess the disign isn't as perfect as matchbox track...

5 minutes ago, alphafb552 said:

well of course it might take a few tries!

sort of the same as mythbusters... buster wasn't always driving in the right direction either... (no disrespect to the driver...)