How do I remove bowsprit cap?

Any suggestions on how to remove the cap on the end of the bowsprit of my J/112E?

I removed the large u-bolt at the end that held the Antal ring, and after doing so the cap is now a bit loose and there is perhaps 1/8" of a gap between the cap and the end of the carbon fiber sprit. Before I simply try to apply MORE force, I thought I would ask for advice.

So, any advice?? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 8.56.26 AM.png

On the 125 we had to cut it off and then make a new end. 

• Like 1

Got it. Turns out the consensus is the cap is NOT removable, so I ended up doing the bobstay project with it in place.

4 hours ago, 11235 said:

Got it. Turns out the consensus is the cap is NOT removable, so I ended up doing the bobstay project with it in place.

does your bobstay go through a hole in the end piece so that it can be taken up by shockcord inside?

6 hours ago, us7070 said:

does your bobstay go through a hole in the end piece so that it can be taken up by shockcord inside?

Now that I drilled a hole through the cap and ran the bobstay through to a piece of shockcord it does! Turned out that the starboard anchor locker drain hole was in just the right place to run the G10 tube through, so I only had to drill ONE new hole in my boat to install the bobstay!

IMG_8693.jpeg

IMG_8695.jpeg

What happens to the water that will get into the sprit via the hole in the end cap.   Can it drain somewhere without getting into the interior of the boat?

45 minutes ago, ZeeZee said:

What happens to the water that will get into the sprit via the hole in the end cap.   Can it drain somewhere without getting into the interior of the boat?

Yes, the whole sprit is in it's own compartment in the v-berth, and at the aft-most, lowest part of that compartment on the starboard side there is a 3/4" drain hole where any moisture will run out. You can see it in this photo in the lower left corner, cut below and ahead of the vent for the water tanks.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 5.53.16 AM.png

Tnx.

Didn't know that the sprit is in a separate compartment on the J/112 (on my 111 it's naked in the cabin...)