kmcfast

Aquarius 21....anyone sailed one?

A Friend is looking at one, a pocket sailor.

2456CC10-7CE0-4A81-85EC-827C2F753690.jpeg

Years ago, there was one in our trailer-sailer club. We did sail/camping trips, mostly to lakes but sometimes to the coast. I never sailed it but saw it in action many times. Nondescript pretty much describes it... a vaguely boat-shaped fiberglass box with semi appropriate rigging.  Decent if uninspiring build quality, by now the issue will be how it's been taken care of and the state of the rigging/sails/trailer, all of which are expensive items to bring up to snuff. A lot of the interior panels will be wood, if the hatch or ports have been let leak over time, rot could be an issue, so check it all thoroughly.

One good thing, it's considerably lighter and easier to trailer than the ubiquitous Catalina 22.

Sailing performance? We could and did sail rings around it in the'90s-model (water ballast) Hunter 19, which could be described as pudgy but cute. And at that, the Aquarius wasn't the slowest in the fleet.

FB- Doug

I think in that category of boat a Catalina 22 is hard to beat.  Lots around, parts available, and they sail well.  Good owners group also.

8 hours ago, Blitz said:

I think in that category of boat a Catalina 22 is hard to beat.  Lots around, parts available, and they sail well.  Good owners group also.

And you can get some of your money back at the end. 

I have been lucky much of my life, no I have not sailed on one.  Get the C22 better yet S2 6.9.

I remember those.... designed by Peter Barrett, a sailing legend in Wisconsin and was inducted into the National Sailing Hall of Fame in 2012.  Won a gold medal in the 68 Olympics crewing for Lowell North and a silver in 64 in the Finn.  Peter then started the second North Sails loft and moved it to Pewaukee where he established the loft in the same building as his college buddy, Peter Harken.....

I have an A23. Yes it is not fast, but it is easy to launch, easy to sail, and roomier inside than almost any other boat it’s size. Make sure the center board is free, and that the rudder trunk I has not failed or leaks.   There is not much wood on the interior, and I think on the 21 most of the top deck is solid/not cored.