Sign in to follow this  
woodpecker

MJM Powerboats. New ownership?

I know this is Sailing Anarchy but MJM's have deep ties to the sailing industry.

I hear Peter Johnstone is the new owner and is building a new factory in the Carolina's?

Any body know if they are still planning on building any at Boston Boatworks?

13 hours ago, woodpecker said:

I know this is Sailing Anarchy but MJM's have deep ties to the sailing industry.

I hear Peter Johnstone is the new owner and is building a new factory in the Carolina's?

Nice post Mr. Johnstone  

2 hours ago, Cristoforo said:

Nice post Mr. Johnstone  

Why, Don't you think it will be the same success story as with Gunboat?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

That will be the kiss of death!

As capital markets traders say "the trend is your friend"...

If something has happened consistently, your best bet is to put money on it happening again.

• Like 1

I assume that Bob Johnstone who is well into his 80's wants to turn the business over to son Peter.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:55 PM, woodpecker said:

Wow, good way to kill a well-known and high quality brand

More like Peters Mom looking after her errant boy. You do know that MJM stands for 'Mary Johnsons Motorboats'?

I do like Doug Zern's work though Mike Peters designs were what got the company rolling in the first place. Bob and Mary keep a short leash on Peter.

19160-PRO-008-1.jpg

• Like 1

All new orders should have completion bonds!

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

More like Peters Mom looking after her errant boy. You do know that MJM stands for 'Mary Johnsons Motorboats'?

...Bob and Mary...

bobandmaryJ.jpg

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

bobandmaryJ.jpg

Great photo of those two! Thanks, it brought up memories of being at the Newport Boat Show, maybe the Annapolis Show when I bumped into Mike Peters. He and I had worked together back in the Cigarette days and he was at the show for the debut of a Hinckley Picnic yacht that he had designed. He was covering a lot of ground and gave a lot longer look at the little 23'er that I was displaying at the show and then he invited me to take a walk with him as he had a new client he had to meet. Turned out the it was the boat right next to mine and was the first MJM that had been built. Mike was involved with the IPS drives an was trying to sell Bob on using them for the MJM's as well as probable trying to get a design commission for himself. Seems like Zurn is pretty much the house designer for MJM but it is hard to turn down Mike Peters when it comes to powerboats. I let Mike and Bob get down to business and Mary stepped up with a Hot Buttered Rum or some sort of drink and was nice enough to engage me while they were conferring. She asked if I was an exhibitor at the show and I said yes that we had three boats on display. She sort of looked out over the In Water docks expecting me to point out one of our boats and I had to step to the side window of the salon and point almost straight down to our little rendition of the classic Trinidadian Pirouges which we wer marketing as skiffs here in the states. She stepped over and looked and exclaimed that she had been attracted to that boat and had suggested to Bob that it would be a nice tender and they should tow one home after the show! We had gone to great lengths to transform a rugged narrow lapstrake launch through the surf fishing boat into a 'mini Picnic Boat' and the boat really tugged at the heartstrings of the New England crowd. I guess it was the high Dory-like bow and the lapstrake faux planking. 

Caribiana 23.JPG

I was pretty excited to hear this and Mary and I continued our discussion of the merits of the little boat and when Bob and Mike returned for a cocktail from the foredeck pow-wow, I was pleased to hear Mary introduce me as the skiff guy and Mike told them of our days working together in New Orleans. Our little company was on the verge of growing and we were considering taking on a 'White Knight' investor type and I sort of hinted around to Bob that we would make them a 'end of show' special for the demo boat sitting alongside and would really love to add our modest skiff to their fleet. He sort of looked at Mike who gave a slight wink and then at Mary and told me, 'Son, why are you asking me such a thing? Don't you know what MJM stands for?' I was a bit taken aback at this and he added, 'It stands for Mary Johnson Motorboats and you should be asked her such inquiries...' and gave her a wink!

• Like 1

Rasp,

Caribianas are cool little boats.  Are they you design/build?

The waiting list for most MJM models is pretty long. I owned one of their 34's (entry MJM model) and was a crazy nice boat. Outstanding in the ocean. Held its value unlike any other toy