17 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I was thinking in between Australia and NZ. It would make a nice rest stop and if we're going to all that trouble we may as well go for something a bit warmer.

North of Sydney and you'll regret it. Look what the heat & humidity of Queensland has done to Randum's brain.

FKT

57 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I was thinking in between Australia and NZ. It would make a nice rest stop and if we're going to all that trouble we may as well go for something a bit warmer.

Something like a bigger Fiji ... so you can escape those horrid New Zealand winters?

8 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

We did this when we were not young (retired) so thought we did well. The drive pretty much reinforced my sense of what the interior of Oz is like. We are considering driving from Toronto to the Arctic Ocean. The northernmost part of the highway was only completed a few years ago. Once you get there you have no choice but to head back down the same road. One way is 6600 km.

The road from Dawson to Inuvik SUCKS the life out of you.  Ive done in on a motorcycle twice.  Now that the road goes all the way to Tuk, I'm considering doing it again.  Eagle Plains is a hole that takes your money and offers nothing in return but a bit of fuel and a belly ache.  

I will say this.  The Drunken Goat restaurant in Dawson is the highlite of the trip.  

On the other hand, driving the Trans Labrador highway is a treat.  Lab City to Goose bay was fun.  Take the tour at Churchill falls and go see the bears at the town dump.  We took the ferry from Goose Bay over to Cartwright but I think that the road between them is also now open.  Cartwright to Blanc Sablon and then ferry to NF.  

6 hours ago, Dogscout said:

The road from Dawson to Inuvik SUCKS the life out of you.  Ive done in on a motorcycle twice.  Now that the road goes all the way to Tuk, I'm considering doing it again.  Eagle Plains is a hole that takes your money and offers nothing in return but a bit of fuel and a belly ache.  

I will say this.  The Drunken Goat restaurant in Dawson is the highlite of the trip.  

On the other hand, driving the Trans Labrador highway is a treat.  Lab City to Goose bay was fun.  Take the tour at Churchill falls and go see the bears at the town dump.  We took the ferry from Goose Bay over to Cartwright but I think that the road between them is also now open.  Cartwright to Blanc Sablon and then ferry to NF.  

Our sailing plans have been put back a year so our trip down the St Lawrence to NL will be 2022 instead of next year.

8 hours ago, Cisco said:

Something like a bigger Fiji ... so you can escape those horrid New Zealand winters?

Not to mention, their oppressive government.

15 hours ago, Cisco said:

Well, once we're on the move, maybe we could just move a few degrees north for the winter and back south for the summer. We'll have to remember to cut all the telegraph cables before we leave.

1 minute ago, Ishmael said:

Well, once we're on the move, maybe we could just move a few degrees north for the winter and back south for the summer. We'll have to remember to cut all the telegraph cables before we leave.

Nah - just go totally wireless, problem solved.

Back more or less on topic, I finally watched the old sea dog arriving in NZ. I know his vids are way behind but that pretty much matches my interest level so it's all good.

Which, however, brings up the previously asked question - what are the Zatara fuckwits proposing to do now? Curious minds...

FKT

3 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Back more or less on topic, I finally watched the old sea dog arriving in NZ. I know his vids are way behind but that pretty much matches my interest level so it's all good.

Which, however, brings up the previously asked question - what are the Zatara fuckwits proposing to do now? Curious minds...

FKT

Of course we'd go wireless, but there are a bunch of cables we'd have to sever first. I think we'll need some serious tools.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWG_1RD4wL6OAwUbtNsq-

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

They have gone a little cold on Guam but so far have not gone public with their plan B.

Just now, savoir said:

They have gone a little cold on Guam but so far have not gone public with their plan B.

Be really, really funny if they applied for entry back into NZ - and got told to fuck off.

Very politely, of course.

Which is what I'd have done were I in such a position and knew about their YouTube postings.

FKT

On 11/10/2020 at 10:43 AM, Miffy said:

A lot of the problem with Texans stems from the institutional education - only in Texas do white slavers looking to steal Mexican land, die a stupid death at the Alamo to Mexican national hero Santa Anna - get celebrated so hard. Then their next major military contribution was as part of the Confederacy - another lost cause in aid of pretty bad political beliefs. 

I went to Texas hundreds of times on business and I don’t like any of the cities, Houston in particular is hell. I do like a lot of the people though. It can be fun. Going out for dinner or bars is fun in many parts of Texas and the food is good if you like Tex Mex or steak. There are a lot of beautiful women and they dress like women. About half the men there are total hardons like Keith Whitaker and many are dumber. Some of them call the civil war “the war of northern aggression” without irony and it’s gotten bad in the Trump era. But it’s not all bad. And it’s better than Tampa.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Be really, really funny if they applied for entry back into NZ - and got told to fuck off.

Very politely, of course.

Which is what I'd have done were I in such a position and knew about their YouTube postings.

FKT

They might choose Tasmania.  Word has it that plenty of the cool crowd live there.

52 minutes ago, savoir said:

They might choose Tasmania.  Word has it that plenty of the cool crowd live there.

like as not i don't think choosing a destination is entirely in their hands, PNG is a place they'd deserve

1 hour ago, savoir said:

Pretty safe on that one. We're overstocked with self-entitled fuckwits already.

FKT

7 hours ago, 167149 said:

PNG is a place they'd deserve

Ok, I’ve certainly heard of Papaua New Guinea, and know where it is, amd know that until recently (in world history) its people lived fairly remote lives...and I’ve heard that Port Moresby is a rough place...but had to look into “PNG”, as it obviously doesn’t have the same shock effect on this side of the Pacific.  From what I can gather, another place the colonials totally fucked up, combined with a complicated tribal society.

Old doc, but interesting insight into “raskol” gang culture there.  (One can almost imagine rural MAGA/Qanon gangs like that cropping up like that right now...)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G8PDGxC7S0o

16 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

I went to Texas hundreds of times on business and I don’t like any of the cities, Houston in particular is hell. I do like a lot of the people though. It can be fun. Going out for dinner or bars is fun in many parts of Texas and the food is good if you like Tex Mex or steak. There are a lot of beautiful women and they dress like women. About half the men there are total hardons like Keith Whitaker and many are dumber. Some of them call the civil war “the war of northern aggression” without irony and it’s gotten bad in the Trump era. But it’s not all bad. And it’s better than Tampa.

Ditto.  One of the better descriptions of Texas. Houston - ok to visit but fucking horrible place to live. If it wasn't for oil it would be crappy pasture land.   

• Like 1

On 11/9/2020 at 9:37 PM, Willin' said:

I gotta disagree. It's not Texas, it's all those fucking Texans I just can't abide. Rude, loud, obnoxious, unjustifiably proud!

Ask around for 3 states in any direction, pretty much everyone will agree with me!

And yes, I still have one Texan friend, down in Palacios, but he started life as a Californian.

Open contempt for, and bigotry towards, 29 million of your fellow citizens reflects more poorly on you than it does them. 

Texans just want everyone to be as happy as we are. We understand that the feelings of others may have a large component of jealousy.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Spot on about Houston, but Austin is one of the great cities in the US. Or at least it was years ago when I was in school there. Overcrowded now, but overall it has a good outdoor climate and easygoing vibe.

5 minutes ago, Cruisin Loser said:

Open contempt for, and bigotry towards, 29 million of your fellow citizens reflects more poorly on you than it does them. 

Texans just want everyone to be as happy as we are. We understand that the feelings of others may have a large component of jealousy.

Only 29 million? I observed a conversation drifting towards the idea of gentle euthanization of around 70 million citizens for daring to have a different opinion.

6 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Only 29 million? I observed a conversation drifting towards the idea of gentle euthanization of around 70 million citizens for daring to have a different opinion.

I'm from the Great Lakes region.  I've  lived my adult life in the South.  Mostly all hat and no cattle and that's why they are loud.

• Like 1

I don't find CL to be loud or "no cattle." 

He's a valued contributor here and everyone lavishes praise upon him and his boat and then devote most of a thread denigrating his home and neighbors. It's really disheartening.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ajax said:

He's a valued contributor here and everyone lavishes praise upon him and his boat and then devote most of a thread denigrating his home and neighbors. It's really disheartening.

Your friendship and loyalty is admirable, but he's one person among 29 million. I can live with CL's condescending and very Texan mis- perception of my jealousy. I've worked and lived in Texas among many other places and I'm happy to be "Not from Texas."

I think if you did a survey of residents from any of the surrounding states, especially in the ski towns you'd find very many people share my opinion of  the average Texan.

Reminds me of a joke I heard on VHF 16 one night while working on a seismic boat in the gulf...

Q  "What's the difference between a coon ass and a horses ass?"

A  "The Sabine River."

And while I can't find any songs about musicians bragging they're from Maine (we're far to modest and certainly not anxious to draw any more people from away than we already have) we have a few musicians too.

10 hours ago, WGWarburton said:
On 11/12/2020 at 7:03 AM, IStream said:

Not to mention, their oppressive government.

You forgot the purple font.

Cheers,

W.

Emojis are about as far as I'll go. I don't do the purple font. I leave the sarcasm interpretation as an exercise for the reader.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

Spot on about Houston, but Austin is one of the great cities in the US. Or at least it was years ago when I was in school there. Overcrowded now, but overall it has a good outdoor climate and easygoing vibe.

I quite liked San Antonio, and Marfa is pretty interesting in its on peculiar way

2 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

This is an Austin tradition. When I was a student there in the 80's, all you heard was "yea should have been here in the 70's when Willie held court at the Armadillo World Headquarters blah blah blah before it got so damn crowded". A great song from my period there by a band called Ed Hall was "Things were so much better before you were here". 

Went there for the first time in years with my family last year, and damn it is crowded. Still, if it just had salt water.

52 minutes ago, Willin' said:

I think if you did a survey of residents from any of the surrounding states, especially in the ski towns you'd find very many people share my opinion of  the average Texan.

I had to laugh reading this. Everyone in my family is a native Texan. My sister and her husband (also a Texan) moved to a ski town in NM a couple of decades ago. Since covid, no one has seen each other in person, so we have these big family Zoom calls with mom and dad, other siblings, kids, etc, and not a single call goes by without them bitching at us about "you damned Texans need to ..." based on whatever asshole behavior they just witnessed from a Texan in their beloved little ski town. WTF sis on a lot of different levels there.

Texas is certainly full of assholes. So is Florida (duh) and yes even Hawaii, the two places I have lived in the last 3 decades since leaving my homeland. Just different species of asshole.

Texas also has a shit-ton of exceptionally cool people. Cruisin' Loser sure sounds like one I'd like to have a Shiner Bock with.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

I grew up in Texas and as they say "Texas, it's a state of mind".  Quick history lesson, Texas succeeded from the union during "the unpleasantness between the north and the south" and there were Texan's fighting on both sides.  The Alamo was a classic example of politicians getting others to fight their battles for them.  It seems that the US Government and Mexico had a small disagreement about were the border actually was and the understaffed regiment in the Alamo was asked to defend against an army of 5000 Mexican troops.  Their intelligence had told them that it was a small poorly trained battalion.  Visiting the Alamo is a huge disappointment, it's very small and surrounded by downtown San Antonio and makes you wonder , Why here?  

1 hour ago, J_Grove said:
3 hours ago, Israel Hands said:

This is an Austin tradition. When I was a student there in the 80's, all you heard was "yea should have been here in the 70's when Willie held court at the Armadillo World Headquarters blah blah blah before it got so damn crowded". A great song from my period there by a band called Ed Hall was "Things were so much better before you were here". 

Not a fan of Austin anymore. Traffic is bananas and it’s kind of just like anywhere else now. Except everywhere you go there’s a busker or a band playing. When you first get there, its like “hmm, that’s cool” but after a few days of every lobby, restaurant, store, or corner of the airport having the next Stevie Ray Vaughn or Blues Traveler blaring away you want to grab the guitar away and smash it to pieces.

5 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Ok, I’ve certainly heard of Papaua New Guinea, and know where it is, amd know that until recently (in world history) its people lived fairly remote lives...and I’ve heard that Port Moresby is a rough place...but had to look into “PNG”, as it obviously doesn’t have the same shock effect on this side of the Pacific.  From what I can gather, another place the colonials totally fucked up, combined with a complicated tribal society.

Actually, not. It's a place we left willingly, with a fully functional government and middle class, a balanced budget subsidised by Australia and assistance going forward.

It's fucked up because their leadership put tribal politics and personal wealth way ahead of their country's interests. I'm taking no responsibility for that place.

FKT

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Apparently he’s learned you don’t get very far in Maine telling people you are from Texas. 

3 hours ago, Willin' said:

Your friendship and loyalty is admirable, but he's one person among 29 million. I can live with CL's condescending and very Texan mis- perception of my jealousy. I've worked and lived in Texas among many other places and I'm happy to be "Not from Texas."

Reminds me of a joke I heard on VHF 16 one night while working on a seismic boat in the gulf...

A  "The Sabine River."

And while I can't find any songs about musicians bragging they're from Maine (we're far to modest and certainly not anxious to draw any more people from away than we already have) we have a few musicians too

And this

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Come on - you should hear/read what LB15 and I have said to each other about Aussie States...

FKT

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Willin' said:

A  "The Sabine River."

And while I can't find any songs about musicians bragging they're from Maine (we're far to modest and certainly not anxious to draw any more people from away than we already have) we have a few musicians too.

Loyalty? I've never even met the guy. It's just about basic civility. You don't hear me going on about how fucked up people in other states are. 

• Like 2

Just now, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Come on - you should hear/read what LB15 and I have said to each other about Aussie States...

FKT

Yeah,  I guess.  CL isn't exactly thin skinned and he doesn't need my defense. All the bashing just rubs me wrong. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Yeah,  I guess.  CL isn't exactly thin skinned and he doesn't need my defense. All the bashing just rubs me wrong. 

Ajax, you're just a sensitive, polite individual. HTFU.

Or c'mon up here and we'll make you an honourary Canadian. :lol:

Honestly, I like Maine and I like Texas and I have good friends in both places. Don't know the DelMarVa area very well, but the Eastern shore of the Chesapeake reminded me of the Maritimes.

There are dumbasses everywhere. I'm not sure Texas has more per capita than Nova Scotia...its just that Texans seem to stand out.

I'm homeless.  I'm too much of a nancy for my own country and too much of an abrasive asshole for yours. 

3 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I'm homeless.  I'm too much of a nancy for my own country and too much of an abrasive asshole for yours. 

Alberta is your home.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

The winters would kill him.

He can winter in Victoria. :D

16 minutes ago, IStream said:

I'd be fine with that, I need people to sail with.

32 minutes ago, IStream said:

Where old people go to visit their parents

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'd be fine with that, I need people to sail with.

Let's talk...

15 minutes ago, IStream said:

Let's talk...

Happily. Maybe we can sail along the border together until this unpleasant little affair is over.

11 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Happily. Maybe we can sail along the border together until this unpleasant little affair is over.

Watch out and don’t get too close to the big red line in the water - I didn’t really notice it this past summer (and got, er, “followed up on” by the boys in black —in a big black scary-looking RIB)

DAC9B168-27BF-4D5D-AF74-2A11BAE3A764.png

I am acutely aware of the border and don't even flirt with it. I have enough shit to deal with.

13 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I am acutely aware of the border and don't even flirt with it. I have enough shit to deal with.

I thought it quite interesting - ships routinely cut across it (the reciprocal of the very same course in my pic above) —seeing them do it, I tried it, and was then warned (after being tracked).  Most definitely due to Covid, they suggested.  Oh well, live and learn.  (It was always my understanding that you can traverse the waters as long as you aren’t landing.)

34 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I'd much rather rendezvous in the islands, yours or ours, whenever that's allowed again.

3 minutes ago, IStream said:

I'd much rather rendezvous in the islands, yours or ours, whenever that's allowed again.

Sounds good. We have to throw away all our food to go to the US and buy new at Island Prices, so we're kinda biased.

4 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Actually, not. It's a place we left willingly, with a fully functional government and middle class, a balanced budget subsidised by Australia and assistance going forward.

It's fucked up because their leadership put tribal politics and personal wealth way ahead of their country's interests. I'm taking no responsibility for that place.

FKT

Maybe, but centuries of foreign intervention —German, Australian, Japanese— and foreign commercial exploitation of its resources (mining, timber, etc), and the importation of foreign labour by said colonials certainly wasn’t a positive for PNG.  From what I’ve read, PNG was basically regarded as a commercial venture to be milked.  Combine that with the tribal politics and rulers seeking personal wealth, and you have the shitshow that prevails in most of the rest of of colonial world.

15 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Sounds good. We have to throw away all our food to go to the US and buy new at Island Prices, so we're kinda biased.

The Canadian Gulf it is!

13 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Maybe, but centuries of foreign intervention —German, Australian, Japanese— and foreign commercial exploitation of its resources (mining, timber, etc), and the importation of foreign labour by said colonials certainly wasn’t a positive for PNG.  From what I’ve read, PNG was basically regarded as a commercial venture to be milked.  Combine that with the tribal politics and rulers seeking personal wealth, and you have the shitshow that prevails in most of the rest of of colonial world.

Not maybe, it's fact. When we handed over there was a functional bureaucracy, government, health system, education system and a budget that worked plus ongoing guarantee of financial support that we are STILL providing.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/papua-new-guinea/development-assistance/Pages/papua-new-guinea

I'm taking no responsibility for the shit-show that PNG has become. It wasn't that way when we handed over.

We only ever had the north part as a trust territory after Germany lost WW1.

You want to hold anyone responsible for colonialism? Try Indonesia. They're basically a ramshackle colonial empire based on the old Dutch East Indies. There's no way they should have Irian Jaya, which they got to keep thanks to one of the most egregious violations of an act of free association ever - blessed by the USA.

FKT

Edited by Fah Kiew Tu
typo as per usual

1 minute ago, IStream said:

The Canadian Gulf it is!

We can bring fresh eggs and local bacon.

2 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Not maybe, it's fact. When we handed over there was a functional bureaucracy, government, health system, education system and a budget that worked plus ongoing guarantee of financial support that we are STILL providing.

https://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/papua-new-guinea/development-assistance/Pages/papua-new-guinea

I'm taking no responsibility for the shit-show that PNG has become. It wasn't that way when we handed over.

We only ever had the north part as a trust territory after Germany lost WW1.

You want to hold anyone responsible for colonialism? Try Indonesia. They're basically a ramshackle colonial empire based on the old Dutch East Indies. There's no way they should have Irian Jaya, which they got to keep thanks to one of the most egregious violations of an act of free association ever - blessed by the USA.

FKT

By “maybe”, what I mean is that, indeed, you’re right that a fully functioning government, etc was “handed over”.  (Perhaps therein lies part of the problem - it was “handed over” —it didn’t have an organic political culture as developed in many places.  That, followed by years of resource exploitation by colonials.  And there you go.)  But maybe, just maybe by a huge stretch, the experience of foreign intervention and commercial exploitation has left a fucked up legacy.

America was basically founded on enslaving people. Not entirely, of course — there are also brilliant philosophical ideals that guided the founding of the country other than enslaving others for free labour. But that was a major part of the national origins.  And look at the legacy today.  As with the legacy of colonial intervention in PNG.  It’s all well and good to set up a fully functioning government, etc and set it in motion.  It’s another thing entirely for it to survive, let alone thrive.

1 minute ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

By “maybe”, what I mean is that, indeed, you’re right that a fully functioning government, etc was “handed over”.  (Perhaps therein lies part of the problem - it was “handed over” —it didn’t have an organic political culture as developed in many places.  That, followed by years of resource exploitation by colonials.  And there you go.)  But maybe, just maybe by a huge stretch, the experience of foreign intervention and commercial exploitation has left a fucked up legacy.

America was basically founded on enslaving people. Not entirely, of course — there are also brilliant philosophical ideals that guided the founding of the country other than enslaving others for free labour. But that was a major part of the national origins.  And look at the legacy today.  As with the legacy of colonial intervention in PNG.  It’s all well and good to set up a fully functioning government, etc and set it in motion.  It’s another thing entirely for it to survive, let alone thrive.

Yeah to the last but - the Govt of the day said it was time and the PNG organic political culture of the day said it was time.

What do you do?

Realistically another 20-30 years of intensive education and training through 2-3 generations emphasising nation-state over tribe (onetok) system would have been better - but equally likely there'd have been an insurgent movement.

We never wanted to keep PNG. We'd prefer to have a rich and stable neighbour on our northern border. We've already had to basically take over the Solomons and run it for years while re-training the locals then give it up - once again we never wanted to own/run/exploit those places. We don't want to do that for a bigger place under worse conditions.

FKT

56 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

We can bring fresh eggs and local bacon.

That sounds great. We'll bring some good stuff to grill and a bunch of crabbing gear. And wine. Lots of wine.

50 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Fresh eggs and local bacon.  Aren’t you guys in on the ongoing learned discussion about Papua New Guinea?  

Dude, I'm trying to visualize a post-COVID paradise of easy times with good company. I'm not gonna let anything harsh my mellow.

39 minutes ago, IStream said:

Dude, I'm trying to visualize a post-COVID paradise of easy times with good company. I'm not gonna let anything harsh my mellow.

LOL!  Harsh my mellow.  (We didn’t find Covid interfered at all with cruising this past summer - couldn’t get to Haida   Gwaii as planned, but just made alternate plans instead. Of course, no cross-border travel, though.)

FKT and somebody else above was wishing PNG on the Zatara folks.  Knowing little to nothing about PNG, I got intrigued and started googling a bit.  What a f-ing place.  Talking about harshing one’s mellow.  Seriously violent there - basically violence as a way of life/part of the “culture”.  I got sucked into watching a few quick vids on my ferry commute. Wow.

And, older: 

54 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

LOL!  Harsh my mellow.  (We didn’t find Covid interfered at all with cruising this past summer - couldn’t get to Haida   Gwaii as planned, but just made alternate plans instead. Of course, no cross-border travel, though.)

FKT and somebody else above was wishing PNG on the Zatara folks.  Knowing little to nothing about PNG, I got intrigued and started googling a bit.  What a f-ing place.  Talking about harshing one’s mellow.  Seriously violent there - basically violence as a way of life/part of the “culture”.  I got sucked into watching a few quick vids on my ferry commute. Wow.

And, older: 

Parts of the country are stunningly lovely though. Rabaul used to be a really nice place until the volcano burped. The island chains to the north and adjoining the Solomons are beautiful.

Only 2 things fuck the place up. Humans and malaria.

FKT

8 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

FKT

8 hours ago, Ajax said:

Loyalty? I've never even met the guy. It's just about basic civility. You don't hear me going on about how fucked up people in other states are. 

8 hours ago, Ajax said:

I've spent the last ~5 years of my life hanging around Kiwis and Aussies...ball busting is the de rigeur way of showing affection it seems...

"Any of you cunts need another beer while I'm up?" is how you offer to buy the next round.

If they're not making jokes about how many sheep the other is shagging or whose last girlfriend was uglier you need to check their temps to make sure they're OK.

And LB15 would be the first to agree that "Queenslander" is the rough Aussie equivalent of "Florida Man," and Tassie is widely regarded as the bogan capitol of Australia. Apparently there's even a TV show about it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

If they're not making jokes about how many sheep the other is shagging or whose last girlfriend was uglier you need to check their temps to make sure they're OK.

I used to think that this was overplayed, we don't think about, but there is something powerful in the ability to be that open.  Not all of it is just made up, much of it is true, but the culture allows us to say shit that would just start a fight in America.

If I said "Mate you are tight as a fishes arsehole and would not shout (buy a beer) if a shark bit you" (cliche' I know) to a friend who really was a tight arse and goes missing when it's his shout, it is a good thing.  It allows us to be critical with friends without losing friends.  In fact it does the opposite, it strengthens bonds.

And about criticism of mates girlfriends ... I recall one guy being told that his girlfriend has a 'face like a busted fuck'.  All he did was laugh and say she was good sort and that "at least I'm getting some you fucking jealous soft cock!".

The ability to be to tell it as it is, the good and the bad is the difference between 'friends' and 'mates'.

On 11/12/2020 at 3:37 PM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

North of Sydney and you'll regret it. Look what the heat & humidity of Queensland has done to Randum's brain.

FKT

Anywhere south of Byron Bay is too fucking cold in the winter.  If I move from here I would like to be somewhere within sight of Mt Warning.  There is magic there.

Tasmania I find creepy.  It's like the ghost of Truganini is everywhere.  The curse of hunting the Thylacine to extinction and the brutality of Van Diemans Land is still in the air.  The graves of my relatives are still there, marked, with my name on them.  I don't like it.  I can feel it.

The lack of bird life compared to here adds to the horror movie impression it gives, as if any minute the bad guy will appear with the axe.  The silence is second only to the NZ bush, or maybe Europe.

However I did like the few days I spent in Stanley, great little village on Bass Straight.  But even there, in going for a walk up the 'Nut' there was this stench!  What looked like rabbit burrows were everywhere and I said the the wife in my best smart arse Barry McKenzie impression ... "smells like they have just done a baiting program to thin out the rabbits!"  Reality was that that is what a Mutton Bird colony smells like.  Funni as.

Tasmania?

The reason they invented Boags was that there was no other way ugly Tasmanian sheilas could get a root......

Bogans? Not restricted to Tas... they are all over.... 

And also .... if you want a feed of mutton bird you need to take the young from the burrow... but  don't put your hand down a cold burrow.... there will be a tiger snake in it....

Top  left hand end of King Island ... New Year Island and Christmas Island.... is where the CSIRO blokes go each year to harvest tiger snake venom.. on a sunny afternoon you can see them sunning themselves on the rocks by the shore... the snakes... not the blokes....

https://biomedicalsciences.unimelb.edu.au/departments/pharmacology/engage/avru/discover/snakes/dangerous-venomous-snakes-of-major-medical-importance/tiger-snakes-emnotechisem-sp.

https://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/wildlife-management/fauna-of-tasmania/reptiles-and-frogs/tasmanian-snakes/tiger-snake

27 minutes ago, Cisco said:

Tasmania?

The reason they invented Boags was that there was no other way ugly Tasmanian sheilas could get a root......

Bogans? Not restricted to Tas... they are all over.... 

And also .... if you want a feed of mutton bird you need to take the young from the burrow... but  don't put your hand down a cold burrow.... there will be a tiger snake in it....

Top  left hand end of King Island ... New Year Island and Christmas Island.... is where the CSIRO blokes go each year to harvest tiger snake venom.. on a sunny afternoon you can see them sunning themselves on the rocks by the shore... the snakes... not the blokes....

https://biomedicalsciences.unimelb.edu.au/departments/pharmacology/engage/avru/discover/snakes/dangerous-venomous-snakes-of-major-medical-importance/tiger-snakes-emnotechisem-sp.

https://dpipwe.tas.gov.au/wildlife-management/fauna-of-tasmania/reptiles-and-frogs/tasmanian-snakes/tiger-snake

Plenty of tiger snakes all about the place - there was one on the concrete slab outside my workshop a week ago. As usual I left it alone and it went off into the wood pile. Mental note to be careful around there is all.

But you're right about mutton bird holes. Never really been fond of mutton birds myself but if I wanted some all I need to do is ask my Aboriginal neighbours.

WRT Boags and unattractive women - not touching that one. The women that is, there's a couple of Boags left in the fridge.

I grew up west of Parramatta - nothing you can tell me about bogans I didn't see first hand.

FKT

8 hours ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

73 , 74 we the "colonials" were not asked to leave but told to..." independence  comes boss man your house is my house!!", so leave we did, ph started ringing mid 76ish ... would we please return, we werent in Morseby ....further north in Lae , living behind electrified wire was the norm, theft/kleptomania was rife, pretty neanderthal attitude with regard to revenge/honor.... briefly went back in the 80;s, very briefly, whole shitfight made Rhodesia look tame

1 hour ago, astro said:

Anywhere south of Byron Bay is too fucking cold in the winter.  If I move from here I would like to be somewhere within sight of Mt Warning.  There is magic there.

Tasmania I find creepy.  It's like the ghost of Truganini is everywhere.  The curse of hunting the Thylacine to extinction and the brutality of Van Diemans Land is still in the air.  The graves of my relatives are still there, marked, with my name on them.  I don't like it.  I can feel it.

The lack of bird life compared to here adds to the horror movie impression it gives, as if any minute the bad guy will appear with the axe.  The silence is second only to the NZ bush, or maybe Europe.

However I did like the few days I spent in Stanley, great little village on Bass Straight.  But even there, in going for a walk up the 'Nut' there was this stench!  What looked like rabbit burrows were everywhere and I said the the wife in my best smart arse Barry McKenzie impression ... "smells like they have just done a baiting program to thin out the rabbits!"  Reality was that that is what a Mutton Bird colony smells like.  Funni as.

if you stopped talking you'd realise the NZ bush is far from quiet

12 minutes ago, 167149 said:

Ditto the lack of bird life in Tasmania... you'd need to be clumsy as a pregnant hippo to not hear constant birds and other wildlife.

Only place I have been spooked by lack of any life was Island head creek in Queensland. Seriously freaked the whole family.

10 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

We never wanted to keep PNG. ... - once again we never wanted to own/run/exploit those places. ...

Rio Tinto certainly wanted to have a go...

But I don't think that is the same as saying all of Oz was in on it

9 hours ago, Se7en said:

Ditto the lack of bird life in Tasmania... you'd need to be clumsy as a pregnant hippo to not hear constant birds and other wildlife.

Yeah this. Randum/Astro is an idiot. There's birdlife everywhere here. My native hens have a bunch of little brown fluffballs ATM and you should hear them go off.

Last week we drifted around a point in the boat and there were 2 sea eagles and a juvenile learning to fly.

As for the deaths, no worse than any other place on this planet. Everyone dies. You can still see the ravages of the Spanish influinza epidemic recorded in the gravestones.

FKT

11 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I grew up west of Parramatta - nothing you can tell me about bogans I didn't see first hand.

Hahahaaa

That explains a lot, no wonder you settled in Tasmania.

Pretty good hatchet job I did on Tassy though, reeled in a few.

I like Hobart as a city and harbour.  Still want to see Mt Wellington with snow on it, from the north side of the harbour.

At least we're not ragging on those Texas turd blossoms spreading goodwill throughout the SoPac anymore. My work here is done.

16 hours ago, Se7en said:
16 hours ago, 167149 said:

Only place I have been spooked by lack of any life was Island head creek in Queensland. Seriously freaked the whole family.

NZ in the woods can be quite noisy. Doesn't even take listening that hard.

5 hours ago, Willin' said:

At least we're not ragging on those Texas turd blossoms spreading goodwill throughout the SoPac anymore. My work here is done.

They'll drop another video eventually...

On 11/13/2020 at 10:39 AM, Israel Hands said:

I served thousands of corporate days in Austin over many years,  commuting from our version or Oz several days per week, and although it's *by far* the best of Texas (and 6th Street is part of the nation's best music scene), mainly because it has the lowest density of Texans in Texas, it's still a Texas Hellhole. I did this because I refused to raise my kids in such an educational and cultural void. Over 100 days a year of over 100° temps do not a "good outdoor climate" make (though after sunset, the rooftop bars didn't suck).

My daughter's finishing up her grad degree at UT, and she and her "technically mobile" SO have their bags packed for the instant they can leave when she graduates. And it's people like Keith that piss reasonable folks off. "Oh woe is me, they're not recognizing my 'Murican privilege..." Most of our fellow travelers (as opposed to tourists) aren't remotely like that.

(Subject shift) I'm a proud card-carrying (I), but I didn't waste a single vote on an (R) candidate this election, because beyond good, responsible and publically-spirited local governance, I care also about our American reputation in the global community, but I'll also fight like hell to defend it against unwarranted sniping from uninformed corners of the world that try to mischaracterize us (I'm a naturalized citizen, FWIW) as a monolithic, uneducated whole. We're way better than that.

1 hour ago, rattus32 said:

I served thousands of corporate days in Austin over many years,  commuting from our version or Oz several days per week, and although it's *by far* the best of Texas (and 6th Street is part of the nation's best music scene), mainly because it has the lowest density of Texans in Texas, it's still a Texas Hellhole. I did this because I refused to raise my kids in such an educational and cultural void. Over 100 days a year of over 100° temps do not a "good outdoor climate" make (though after sunset, the rooftop bars didn't suck).

My daughter's finishing up her grad degree at UT, and she and her "technically mobile" SO have their bags packed for the instant they can leave when she graduates. And it's people like Keith that piss reasonable folks off. "Oh woe is me, they're not recognizing my 'Murican privilege..." Most of our fellow travelers (as opposed to tourists) aren't remotely like that.

(Subject shift) I'm a proud card-carrying (I), but I didn't waste a single vote on an (R) candidate this election, because beyond good, responsible and publically-spirited local governance, I care also about our American reputation in the global community, but I'll also fight like hell to defend it against unwarranted sniping from uninformed corners of the world that try to mischaracterize us (I'm a naturalized citizen, FWIW) as a monolithic, uneducated whole. We're way better than that.

I've not spent significant time in Texas, only once to Houston and Dallas when we were rolling out some software to our satellite offices. For some inexplicable reason, we decided on a schedule that had us rolling it out to Chicago in November (freezing arsed cold) and Texas over the summer. I did not make this schedule. Our LA and San Francisco rollouts were in benign weather, but that is pretty much California year round. But Chicago, Houston, and Dallas stood out.

Houston was a fucking swamp, with temperature around 98° and approximately 114% humidity. I could feel my suit shrivel up and stick to me the second I walked out the front door of the office to catch a cab to my hotel. "Funereal" is a kind description of the Houston business district after 5:00pm on a work day, never mind when there humidity is so high you can stir the air with a spoon. I think my Reds were in town to play the Astros while I was there, but I couldn't see surviving a baseball game in those conditions without getting so drunk I'd never find my hotel again.

OTOH, Dallas in June was hotter than hell and dry as fuck. My suit did not shrivel up and die when I stepped outside, parts of it started to just burn up in little smoky wisps and just fly away. It was something like 102° or 105° or some awful fucking temperature, but the lizards were sticking to the rocks it was so dry. Opening door to step on the sidewalk felt like stepping in front of a fan running in front of an open oven. I never felt anything like it again until I arrived in Sydney the first time during a heat wave right before a southerly buster.

To Dallas's credit, I did manage to find a decent BBQ joint with beer cold enough to press on my head and neck to avoid passing out. I have no recollection of eating a meal in Houston, I think everything within a 20 block radius of my hotel closed at 5:00 and I wasn't about to go swimming through the air to find dinner. I think I did room service or ate in the hotel. Expense accounts...

19 hours ago, Se7en said:

So why do you expect wildlife to hang about a military live firing area?

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

NZ in the woods can be quite noisy. Doesn't even take listening that hard.

No one goes to NZ for the North Island.

I guess the difference is the 4 times more bird species in Australia.

1 hour ago, astro said:

I guess the difference is the 4 times more bird species in Australia.

It is a tad bigger.

1 hour ago, astro said:

Rotorua

Yes Rotorua was good, I enjoyed it.  Generally the North Island is has similar climate to the southern part of Oz.

Many like it for that reason but why go to somewhere similar?  The South Island is spectacular.

2 hours ago, Mid said:

It all depends on what you want to do. We've spent a lot of time in North Island, and a month or two in South. We plan to return to South Island this summer.

But North Island has plenty to interest one, from Hawke's Bay wines, to cruising around the Bay of Islands, some nice towns, woods, kauri forests, etc. etc.

South Island is very spectacular, but it is also pretty remote, much of it. There is great stuff to see and do there, though.

Never mind the scenery...

South Islanders are stranger than Tasmanians...

and Tasmanians  are bit.... well how you say it ... strange..

Talking about 4th generation keep it in the family Tasmanians here... not people who have just got off the boat...

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

It all depends on what you want to do. We've spent a lot of time in North Island, and a month or two in South. We plan to return to South Island this summer.

But North Island has plenty to interest one, from Hawke's Bay wines, to cruising around the Bay of Islands, some nice towns, woods, kauri forests, etc. etc.

South Island is very spectacular, but it is also pretty remote, much of it. There is great stuff to see and do there, though.

Loved South Island, so much variety in a relatively small area. Plan to live there in my next life. A really fun day is to make a knife from a piece of steel and some wood with these guys. https://barrytownknifemaking.com I found out that if you hit the red hot steel with the corner of the hammer you get a dent that takes close to an hour to get out.