1 hour ago, snubber said:

+1. I lived an hour north of Houston for 10 years and travelled to the city one time for recreation (I admit I drove to Clear Lake many times, to walk the docks and look at boats). I drove (3+ hours each way) to Austin and San Antonio many times for fun. Houston is a city of money and work and industry. You go there to make bank, then drive your pickup out of the city as quickly as possible to live in a spec built McMansion with an overbearing HOA. One of the DJ's on KPFT used to call Houston "The Petro Metro." I cannot complain, professionally, about my time in Texas. But "quality of life" and "Houston" have never appeared in an overlapping Venn diagram. 

LOL. I spent a summer learning to fly the Navy way in Kingsville, about fifty miles inland from Corpus Christi, so just far enough to prevent any possible beneficial ocean influence. We were flying the TA4J, two seat version of the venerable Douglas Skyhawk which, due to the engine's intakes being right behind the pilot's head, forced the crew to keep the single plexi canopy closed to prevent objects from being sucked out of the rear cockpit and damaging the engine. The climate control system doesn't provide any cooling until you spool the engine up to 80% RPM just prior to takeoff and, during instrument training we sometimes had to sit in the marshal area for up to 20 minutes waiting for an ATC clearance. One time my instructor in the front seat started to faint and we had to return to the ramp and shut down.

I heard that BMW engineers didn't believe American cars really needed a good air conditioning system until some of them paid a visit in the summer to the company's US headquarters in Houston. It do get hot and muggy there, for sure.

Good ol’ Houston.... 

Lived in Kemah for two years. Took a $25K, yes that’s twenty-five thou, pay cut so I could leave. Worth every cent to leave Hou and Tx. The weather is the least of that place’s problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Good ol’ Houston.... 

Lived in Kemah for two years. Took a $25K, yes that’s twenty-five thou, pay cut so I could leave. Worth every cent to leave Hou and Tx. The weather is the least of that place’s problems.

I also took a pay-cut and a demotion to leave Texas. I could have stayed, living by myself, banking my paychecks, dodging the horrible Houston drivers, with a wary eye cast downward for fire-ants. Gawd, the drivers around Houston are wretched. In the end I chose to be happier and healthier. Kemah? At least you were near the Bay. The Boardwalk was high class for my neighbors. I was north of the city, in the Redneckistan region. The rural areas around Houston (esp east of I45 and I59) are a special, special flavor of awful. 

@snubber  Ok, I get the comments about the climate. It's brutally hot there, but the drivers?? Have you ever been the the Washington DC/Baltimore ghettoplex? It's Max Max over here. A friend of mine once said "Using the turn signal is a sign of weakness."

1 minute ago, Ajax said:

@snubber  Ok, I get the comments about the climate. It's brutally hot there, but the drivers?? Have you ever been the the Washington DC/Baltimore ghettoplex? It's Max Max over here. A friend of mine once said "Using the turn signal is a sign of weakness."

Who has time to use signal indicators while trying to read the road signs and determine which of the 8 lanes is the exit you need to get on another or you are on a 1 hr detour

On 11/14/2020 at 11:59 PM, astro said:

No one goes to NZ for the North Island.

I guess the difference is the 4 times more bird species in Australia.

That's funny - I do. It's green, the climate's benign, the wildlife and abundance of fresh foods are great, and the sailing from Auckland to the Bay of Islands is great.

I like the South Island for its mountains and tracks, but frankly, the skiing sucks compared to our part of the world. If we wanted to be cold and wet while sailing, we have plenty of choices here in North America. Would kill to do it by motorcycle.

We've had our fill of Australia. Would like to do Tassie, though.

Not old enough to dedicate my life to bird watching, yet.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:02 PM, loneshark64 said:

1818 vs 1839. But which one has Lone Star Beer? Case closed. :P

Yecch.

Of all the major states (i.e. have more than 3 reps. in Congress) in the US, Texas has by far the worst beer, due to an antiquated brewing law that prevented microbreweries from existence while many of the other parts of the country leaped ahead - California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Mass., etc. They're still playing catch-up, but as far as I am concerned, Lone Star (or Shiner) isn't much better than PBR.

St. Arnold in Houston is producing some decent product.

Portsmouth in NH and Portland in ME both have good breweries.

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

Born and raised just west of Boston. Spent four years as a driver, delivering goods all over New England, and many days in Boston. I know bad driving. Houston drivers are especially fond of tailgating. If you tailgate someone back east, you are asking for a brake check. It's a declaration of war. Around Houston, tailgating is just a way of politely signaling "get outta mah way."  Flashing your high beams is rude; tailgating is just normal. When I lived in Texas, we had to brief each new hire on the tailgating thing (if they weren't from Houston). It just took getting used to. 

Snubs

A lot of great sounds were coming out of the underground electronic music scene in Houston mid to late 90s. House, drum and bass, and specifically jungle—something you only really heard coming out of London or Toronto at the time.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/spun-from-the-underground-6569622

So, “Only two things come from Texas boy...and that’s steers and...and... great music...”

Ive past through Texas just a couple of times —Houston/Dallas— and always had a great time. Most people I met were super friendly. 

To my mind any place that can produce Freddy King, SRV, Billy Gibbons, Roy Buchanan...and that’s just for starters on a long list of great guitarists from the state...plus great Austin bands like The Black Angels...well ya gotta cut the place some slack.

Now back to the regular American Dumbass grievance file.

• Like 1

I think the consensus is that Houston can be a great place to visit.

56 minutes ago, IStream said:

Just don't stay in the business district...

27 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Just don't stay in the business district...

That was the "can be" hedge.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 2:50 PM, IStream said:

Can’t believe no one has brought up Isaac’s Storm, the story about the absolutely massive hurricane that hit Galveston/Houston —largest ever recorded in ‘murican history (sounds like something Trump would say :-) ) at the turn of the 20th c.  

Houston is a deadly hurricane zone - for that reason alone, never go near it :-) (8,000 died in that one.)

Supposed to be a great book, actually (don’t know about the movie):

I remember the first time I went to Galveston and was driving along next to the Gulf, which was only about 1' below the grade of the road. I thought about a hurricane rolling in and couldn't leave there fast enough.

The real lesson of Isaac’s Storm is hubris... the Cuban forecasters called the storm, and Isaac ignored their warnings.

To this day, the Cubans are some of the best in the world. We had one of our own in Dr Lixion Avila, who just this year retired from the NHC.

If you traverse the Bahamas, you’ll want Cuban help:

http://www.insmet.cu/asp/genesis.asp?TB0=PLANTILLAS&TB1=RADARES