1 hour ago, snubber said:

+1. I lived an hour north of Houston for 10 years and travelled to the city one time for recreation (I admit I drove to Clear Lake many times, to walk the docks and look at boats). I drove (3+ hours each way) to Austin and San Antonio many times for fun. Houston is a city of money and work and industry. You go there to make bank, then drive your pickup out of the city as quickly as possible to live in a spec built McMansion with an overbearing HOA. One of the DJ's on KPFT used to call Houston "The Petro Metro." I cannot complain, professionally, about my time in Texas. But "quality of life" and "Houston" have never appeared in an overlapping Venn diagram. 

LOL. I spent a summer learning to fly the Navy way in Kingsville, about fifty miles inland from Corpus Christi, so just far enough to prevent any possible beneficial ocean influence. We were flying the TA4J, two seat version of the venerable Douglas Skyhawk which, due to the engine's intakes being right behind the pilot's head, forced the crew to keep the single plexi canopy closed to prevent objects from being sucked out of the rear cockpit and damaging the engine. The climate control system doesn't provide any cooling until you spool the engine up to 80% RPM just prior to takeoff and, during instrument training we sometimes had to sit in the marshal area for up to 20 minutes waiting for an ATC clearance. One time my instructor in the front seat started to faint and we had to return to the ramp and shut down.

I heard that BMW engineers didn't believe American cars really needed a good air conditioning system until some of them paid a visit in the summer to the company's US headquarters in Houston. It do get hot and muggy there, for sure.

Good ol’ Houston.... 

Lived in Kemah for two years. Took a $25K, yes that’s twenty-five thou, pay cut so I could leave. Worth every cent to leave Hou and Tx. The weather is the least of that place’s problems.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Good ol’ Houston.... 

Lived in Kemah for two years. Took a $25K, yes that’s twenty-five thou, pay cut so I could leave. Worth every cent to leave Hou and Tx. The weather is the least of that place’s problems.

I also took a pay-cut and a demotion to leave Texas. I could have stayed, living by myself, banking my paychecks, dodging the horrible Houston drivers, with a wary eye cast downward for fire-ants. Gawd, the drivers around Houston are wretched. In the end I chose to be happier and healthier. Kemah? At least you were near the Bay. The Boardwalk was high class for my neighbors. I was north of the city, in the Redneckistan region. The rural areas around Houston (esp east of I45 and I59) are a special, special flavor of awful. 

@snubber  Ok, I get the comments about the climate. It's brutally hot there, but the drivers?? Have you ever been the the Washington DC/Baltimore ghettoplex? It's Max Max over here. A friend of mine once said "Using the turn signal is a sign of weakness."

1 minute ago, Ajax said:

@snubber  Ok, I get the comments about the climate. It's brutally hot there, but the drivers?? Have you ever been the the Washington DC/Baltimore ghettoplex? It's Max Max over here. A friend of mine once said "Using the turn signal is a sign of weakness."

Who has time to use signal indicators while trying to read the road signs and determine which of the 8 lanes is the exit you need to get on another or you are on a 1 hr detour

On 11/14/2020 at 11:59 PM, astro said:

No one goes to NZ for the North Island.

I guess the difference is the 4 times more bird species in Australia.

That's funny - I do. It's green, the climate's benign, the wildlife and abundance of fresh foods are great, and the sailing from Auckland to the Bay of Islands is great.

I like the South Island for its mountains and tracks, but frankly, the skiing sucks compared to our part of the world. If we wanted to be cold and wet while sailing, we have plenty of choices here in North America. Would kill to do it by motorcycle.

We've had our fill of Australia. Would like to do Tassie, though.

Not old enough to dedicate my life to bird watching, yet.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:02 PM, loneshark64 said:

1818 vs 1839. But which one has Lone Star Beer? Case closed. :P

Yecch.

Of all the major states (i.e. have more than 3 reps. in Congress) in the US, Texas has by far the worst beer, due to an antiquated brewing law that prevented microbreweries from existence while many of the other parts of the country leaped ahead - California, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Mass., etc. They're still playing catch-up, but as far as I am concerned, Lone Star (or Shiner) isn't much better than PBR.

St. Arnold in Houston is producing some decent product.

Portsmouth in NH and Portland in ME both have good breweries.

3 hours ago, Ajax said:

Born and raised just west of Boston. Spent four years as a driver, delivering goods all over New England, and many days in Boston. I know bad driving. Houston drivers are especially fond of tailgating. If you tailgate someone back east, you are asking for a brake check. It's a declaration of war. Around Houston, tailgating is just a way of politely signaling "get outta mah way."  Flashing your high beams is rude; tailgating is just normal. When I lived in Texas, we had to brief each new hire on the tailgating thing (if they weren't from Houston). It just took getting used to. 

Snubs

A lot of great sounds were coming out of the underground electronic music scene in Houston mid to late 90s. House, drum and bass, and specifically jungle—something you only really heard coming out of London or Toronto at the time.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/spun-from-the-underground-6569622

So, “Only two things come from Texas boy...and that’s steers and...and... great music...”

Ive past through Texas just a couple of times —Houston/Dallas— and always had a great time. Most people I met were super friendly. 

To my mind any place that can produce Freddy King, SRV, Billy Gibbons, Roy Buchanan...and that’s just for starters on a long list of great guitarists from the state...plus great Austin bands like The Black Angels...well ya gotta cut the place some slack.

Now back to the regular American Dumbass grievance file.

• Like 1

I think the consensus is that Houston can be a great place to visit.

56 minutes ago, IStream said:

Just don't stay in the business district...

27 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

Just don't stay in the business district...

That was the "can be" hedge.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 2:50 PM, IStream said:

Can’t believe no one has brought up Isaac’s Storm, the story about the absolutely massive hurricane that hit Galveston/Houston —largest ever recorded in ‘murican history (sounds like something Trump would say :-) ) at the turn of the 20th c.  

Houston is a deadly hurricane zone - for that reason alone, never go near it :-) (8,000 died in that one.)

Supposed to be a great book, actually (don’t know about the movie):

I remember the first time I went to Galveston and was driving along next to the Gulf, which was only about 1' below the grade of the road. I thought about a hurricane rolling in and couldn't leave there fast enough.

The real lesson of Isaac’s Storm is hubris... the Cuban forecasters called the storm, and Isaac ignored their warnings.

To this day, the Cubans are some of the best in the world. We had one of our own in Dr Lixion Avila, who just this year retired from the NHC.

If you traverse the Bahamas, you’ll want Cuban help:

http://www.insmet.cu/asp/genesis.asp?TB0=PLANTILLAS&TB1=RADARES

So not necessarily an American Dumbass, but the Solomon's just got some new Dumbasses.

Statement on the Illegal Entry of Two Yachts - Solomon Times Online

Then we got one American who is also a Texan Dumbass but not sailing related.

Austin Mayor Told Residents to 'Stay Home' While Vacationing in Cabo San Lucas (msn.com)

3 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

More ugly Americans. This from the local Bahamian PUNCH, which is a tabloid, but actually is never way off track...

D1802BFB-5A45-4C27-8B88-9D79275F94E0.jpeg

The only Bahamians in Lyford Cay are the help.  And they have their own private hospital. Another great place I discovered,  

The original Dumbass family are now trying very hard to get into Australia.  No doubt all you Australians will be pleased to learn that you have passed the modified version of the Dumbass Cool Test.  No joy yet, so they are still in Fiji.

1 hour ago, savoir said:

The original Dumbass family are now trying very hard to get into Australia.  No doubt all you Australians will be pleased to learn that you have passed the modified version of the Dumbass Cool Test.  No joy yet, so they are still in Fiji.

Fuck them. We don't want them.

FKT

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Fuck them. We don't want them.

FKT

Really?.. They could introduce kiteboarding to Tasmania....

Given how slowly the wheels turn up north thay may be granted permission by early January.... best time of year for  crossing the Coral Sea .......

2 minutes ago, Cisco said:

Really?.. They could introduce kiteboarding to Tasmania....

Given how slowly the wheels turn up north thay may be granted permission by early January.... best time of year for  crossing the Coral Sea .......

Fuck them.

They're self-entitled pricks. We'd have to put them in quarantine hotels at their cost.

Unfortunately *that* would also be at a cost to overseas Aussies who want to come home and can't, because lack of quarantine facilities is a major bottleneck.

So why on earth would we allow these clowns entry when we can't even get all our own citizens home in a timely fashion? No, they can wait until we no longer have a quarantine bottleneck. And don't even suggest that their time in transit counts as quarantine because - I for one wouldn't trust them not to do something stupid on the way.

As for kiteboarding - it was blowing over 100km/h in my bay the other day. That would give them a fast return to NZ at least.

FKT

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Fuck them.

They're self-entitled pricks. We'd have to put them in quarantine hotels at their cost.

Unfortunately *that* would also be at a cost to overseas Aussies who want to come home and can't, because lack of quarantine facilities is a major bottleneck.

So why on earth would we allow these clowns entry when we can't even get all our own citizens home in a timely fashion? No, they can wait until we no longer have a quarantine bottleneck. And don't even suggest that their time in transit counts as quarantine because - I for one wouldn't trust them not to do something stupid on the way.

As for kiteboarding - it was blowing over 100km/h in my bay the other day. That would give them a fast return to NZ at least.

FKT

can assure you they aint wanted here either

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

Fuck them.

FKT

Don’t hold back there, FKT, tell us how you really feel.

8 hours ago, savoir said:

Fiji sucks. No McDonald’s.

4 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

Fiji sucks. No McDonald’s.

Not true, there's one in Suva and one in Nadi.

Probably others, but I saw those when I was there. KFC is around, too, and I think Subway.

We were very shocked to arrive in Port Denerau to find a Hard Rock Cafe.  Rather unlike the more traditional life on Vanua Levu we had experienced first.

• Like 1

Australians should be mightily impressed that the Dumbasses don't find them boring like the Kiwis.  That could be something of a status symbol.

2 hours ago, savoir said:

Australians should be mightily impressed that the Dumbasses don't find them boring like the Kiwis.  That could be something of a status symbol.

Wait until they anchor in Blackwattle Bay and the gendarmes come over to scold them because their stern is hanging five feet outside the line of buoys because the wind changed.

Or they meet the rowers near Birkenhead...

2 hours ago, Zonker said:

We were very shocked to arrive in Port Denerau to find a Hard Rock Cafe.  Rather unlike the more traditional life on Vanua Levu we had experienced first.

We cleared into Suva, so walking to town from the Royal Suva Yacht Club was sort of what I expected. I stumbled across the McDonald's some time later, walking around town.

Suva has all the mod cons. Saw my first 3D movie there, Captain America. Quite liked the place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, savoir said:

Hopefully, they'll never have an opportunity to find out how boring (or not) Australians are. Or what a PITA authorities and people in Sydney can be. Talking about self-entitled twats...

FKT

5 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Not true, there's one in Suva and one in Nadi.

Probably others, but I saw those when I was there. KFC is around, too, and I think Subway.

Then why are they leaving??

Seriously though, it’s kind of a bummer. I have not been to Fiji and probably never will go, but in my imagination it doesn’t have a KFC.

I was never so disappointed as when I went to the Great Wall of China and in the place where the bus brought me below the wall there was a Subway and a Dominos pizza.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Seriously though, it’s kind of a bummer. I have not been to Fiji and probably never will go, but in my imagination it doesn’t have a KFC.

I was never so disappointed as when I went to the Great Wall of China and in the place where the bus brought me below the wall there was a Subway and a Dominos pizza.

We've seen McD's and other fast food almost everywhere we've been, except maybe the Galapagos.

There's a McD's two blocks from the marina you clear into in New Caledonia.

It seems as though OZ is having other probelms with travelers

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/nsw-police-take-blame-for-allowing-two-german-travellers-to-fly-from-sydney-to-melbourne/news-story/7a9ebed0beea1548dcbc0a2742afdb4f

Two international travellers arrived in Sydney and caught immediate flight to Melbourne, prompting public health response

52 minutes ago, Dogscout said:

It seems as though OZ is having other probelms with travelers

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/nsw-police-take-blame-for-allowing-two-german-travellers-to-fly-from-sydney-to-melbourne/news-story/7a9ebed0beea1548dcbc0a2742afdb4f

Two international travellers arrived in Sydney and caught immediate flight to Melbourne, prompting public health response

Good to see Border Farce being so up front... in saying it was nothing to do with them.... and NSW police.... one of the finest police forces that money can buy... pinning it all on a junior constable....

And also... now that you have rattled my cage......

( more here .. https://www.theage.com.au/national/authorities-investigate-whether-german-travellers-lied-before-boarding-flight-to-melbourne-20201206-p56kyw.html#comments )

Two points... they didn't lie... english was their second language.. the polis fucked up..

And also ... they are australians..... 

Yep... but  they are also german citizens  who have suddenly decided it is time to come 'home' because it is safer..

About an our ago watched another 'australian' bleating on the news about how he couldn't get back to Australia... while speaking in a very strong merkin accent....

Fuck 'em.....

It is my humble ..... considered   .... strongly held opinion that if you have two passports for countries 'A' and 'B' and you are in country  'B' when it all turns to custard you should not be able to ask for special consular and government assistance from country 'A' in getting to country 'A'. 

Not saying you shouldn't be allowed to come 'home' .... just saying sort your self out .... and go to the back of the queue.

If some horrible pestilence struck Australia why should I expect special treatment from the UK??

My thoughts on this were formed during  the Southern Lebanese war of 2006 when 20,000 'Australians' turned up on the Oz Embassy doorstep wanting a 747 ride 'home'.

I recall about 1000 were given a boat ride to Cyprus or Greece and told they were on their own from there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

KFCs are everyone. When I volunteered in Lesotho a dozen years or so ago I had to go to Maseru the capital for a visa reset and there was a KFC right downtown. Sitting there with a modern office building across the street it could have been anywhere in the world. I remembered that the bus 'station', a muddy area with dozens of the Toyota 15 passenger vans was only two blocks away. In China a few years ago they were opening a new location on average every 18 hours. It was not rare to see two KFCs on opposite corners of a major intersection. We found that in some countries the best (free) public internet access was at the McDs. I particularly remember Papeete and Pago Pago for this.

5 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

KFCs are everyone. When I volunteered in Lesotho a dozen years or so ago I had to go to Maseru the capital for a visa reset and there was a KFC right downtown. Sitting there with a modern office building across the street it could have been anywhere in the world. I remembered that the bus 'station', a muddy area with dozens of the Toyota 15 passenger vans was only two blocks away. In China a few years ago they were opening a new location on average every 18 hours. It was not rare to see two KFCs on opposite corners of a major intersection. We found that in some countries the best (free) public internet access was at the McDs. I particularly remember Papeete and Pago Pago for this.

There is something universal about fried chicken. No religion bans it except the veg ones. 

KFCs seem to vary according to local customs. Chinese ones sell chicken feet for example. KFCs don't vary much except no beef in India.

44 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

KFCs seem to vary according to local customs. Chinese ones sell chicken feet for example. KFCs don't vary much except no beef in India.

KFC does more localization because there is more local competition (though these days even the burger joints have local competition).  I like chicken feet: essentially a delivery device for the bbq sauce, but never saw or had the KFC version. I did like their Peking-duck style chicken wraps and the spicy chicken which is carried across Asia is a recipe they don't have in the US.  All that said, I never ate it much. The local fried chicken could often be very high quality, especially in places like Taiwan, Singapore..etc... 

Duck feet have more meat. Fry them and eat them with a dollop of sour cream. 

My 'Duck Feet' are solid rubber, no amount of condiment will make them edible.

Swim fins, by Voight. Best deep water body surfing fins around

• Like 1

Yeah,  not a fan of duck feet. Ever eat a “soup” dumpling? The soup is melted chicken feet gelatin: hardest part of the dumpling to make. 

I was in a KFC in Jakarta in around 1985, dont remember Duck or Chicken feet.  Back then you went to Block M to buy bootleg anything and eat lunch at KFC or the A&W Rootbeer place.  Pizza Hut was across town.  

13 minutes ago, Dogscout said:

Back then you went to Block M to buy bootleg  anything

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

About bird feet.

First evening meal at what was going to be the in-laws place, they had chicken soup for the first course.  I fished out a chicken foot and didn't really know what to do.  It thought it might have been a joke at first.  Turns out that there was only two feet to the chook, and the head of the house always got one and the guest got the other. 

Enough to say that we don't cook that recipe in this house.  I don't mind a good pig's trotter when they are hot.

I saw on tonight's weather forecast that the first Tropical storm of the season is just now approaching Fiji!!!

The Dumbasses have announced that they are spending Christmas in Fiji doing fun stuff.  The storm is forecast to hit the Nadi area, where they were hanging out, on Friday and Saturday.  Yagottalove the Fiji weather guys whose forecast for Saturday reads " tons of rain ".  50 knots is forecast for Friday.

like the cyclone said to the palm tree... 

... hold onto your nuts, this is gonna be one helluva blow job

1 hour ago, Rangi said:

That's looking pretty nasty, I wouldn't wish that on anyone no matter why or how they got there.

We have some friends whose boat is in the path of that in a cyclone pit in Vuda Point. That's got to be nerve wracking, though not nearly as bad as it is for the people up there on their boats still.

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

That's looking pretty nasty, I wouldn't wish that on anyone no matter why or how they got there.

We have some friends whose boat is in the path of that in a cyclone pit in Vuda Point. That's got to be nerve wracking, though not nearly as bad as it is for the people up there on their boats still.

If the mast is out they will be OK.  The wind forecast for Friday has risen to 80 knots.  The Dumbasses should have left town yesterday and made a course somewhere near SW.  They could have made 500m before the cyclone hit and only received 30 knots or so.  I have no idea what they actually did.  

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Actually I would wish this on the parents. Some people need firmer life lessons to learn what they need to learn.

However, I would not wish this on the kids who are victims of their parents’ bad decisions and bad role modelling.

10 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Indeed.

1543982983_Screenshot_2020-12-14earthaglobalmapofwindweatherandoceanconditions.thumb.png.c4d74a5caad216e255e20d7b0645a17f.png

Looks like a Salvadore Dali painting.

4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

The way I see it is that these people are all about entitlement.  So reckon that by their own logic they are entitled to this face-to-face encounter with a major storm.

Maybe they can do a live video feed of them waving their flag, gun and stetson hat at the storm.  

2 hours ago, KC375 said:

Actually I would wish this on the parents. Some people need firmer life lessons to learn what they need to learn.

However, I would not wish this on the kids who are victims of their parents’ bad decisions and bad role modelling.

We can fix the gene pool, or spare the kids.   But not both

6 hours ago, KC375 said:

6 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

The way I see it is that these people are all about entitlement.  So reckon that by their own logic they are entitled to this face-to-face encounter with a major storm.

Maybe they can do a live video feed of them waving their flag, gun and stetson hat at the storm.  

I get what you guys are saying, in theory. But this shit is very real to me, I've got friends with their boats at risk. I know what this feels like, and I wish they had been spared the consequences of their choices on this.

I don't pray, but I do hope everyone comes through safe and unharmed, and no one does any stupid heroics to try to protect the boat.

• Like 2

It will provide dramatic footage, good for many youtube releases. And if the boat gets destroyed, go fund me account will immediately go live. It's Aus/NZ/some body elses fault, after all.

32 minutes ago, longy said:

It will provide dramatic footage, good for many youtube releases. And if the boat gets destroyed, go fund me account will immediately go live. It's Aus/NZ/some body elses fault, after all.

We're used to getting blamed for other peoples' decisions that they made before asking us. We no longer care.

FKT

1 hour ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

We're used to getting blamed for other peoples' decisions that they made before asking us. We no longer care.

FKT

Any excuse is a good excuse...

Yesterday all but one of these boats was in the marina at the extreme left. Most all in Nadi have now taken hurricane refuge up a creek. I wonder how many will try to ride it out on their boats. GFS has the path right over them, ECMWF says further north, sparing Nadi the worst.

Screen Shot 2020-12-15 at 5.04.20 PM.png

The wind forecast has risen to Cat 5 which mean greater than 107 knots.  Marine Traffic says that they are inside the harbour at Vuda, in the water not on land.

22 minutes ago, savoir said:

The wind forecast has risen to Cat 5 which mean greater than 107 knots.  Marine Traffic says that they are inside the harbour at Vuda, in the water not on land.

That's pretty protected in there, though if there's a big storm surge it could get lively. Everyone is sort of Med moored around the outside, I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

A lot of boats which spend cyclone season in Fiji go into the "pits" there in the ground, and are generally safe. Those booked up a long time ago, from all accounts.

I sure wouldn't want to be in there.  If the place is full, then the boats will be banging into each other like crazy.

Looks like Nadi, and maybe even SV Zatara, will be on the good side of this one with offshore and lighter winds for most of it. The Yasawa islands and Vanua Levu will not be as lucky.

1 hour ago, TheDragon said:

Looks like Nadi, and maybe even SV Zatara, will be on the good side of this one with offshore and lighter winds for most of it. The Yasawa islands and Vanua Levu will not be as lucky.

When Winston came through there were a bunch of boats in Savusavu which got pasted. I didn't see any AIS signals there, and I have no idea how many boats are there. For Winston, we had friends there so much better information. But I don't think anyone I know personally went to Fiji this year.

Funny to see all the comments. If you are gone a be right in it you don't care about that, you just want stay dry, don't get hit by anything sharp, and hopefully find the boat still on it's mooring afterwards. Have been through 100+ knot Winston on my boat, that was hell and first time for me. This time I left the poor boat behind on a mooring, and moved onto not so dry land.

Nice to have good friends here, even though their house is not the strongest. Still boarding it up, with too thin ply, as that was all that was left at the shop. Most villagers are hiding in the community hall which is a cyclone shelter. That's more for the old people, the younger ignorant ones are braving it at home with their boom boxes and phones.

Expecting the the power and internet to be off for a few days, so might not post for a while. Gone a put my tablet in a ziplock now, it's coming...

If possible I will post a bit from my phone, a bad video maybe, or just a sound recording.

C U later !

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Funny to see all the comments. If you are gone a be right in it you don't care about that, you just want stay dry, don't get hit by anything sharp, and hopefully find the boat still on it's mooring afterwards. Have been through 100+ knot Winston on my boat, that was hell and first time for me. This time I left the poor boat behind on a mooring, and moved onto not so dry land.

Nice to have good friends here, even though their house is not the strongest. Still boarding it up, with too thin ply, as that was all that was left at the shop. Most villagers are hiding in the community hall which is a cyclone shelter. That's more for the old people, the younger ignorant ones are braving it at home with their boom boxes and phones.

Expecting the the power and internet to be off for a few days, so might not post for a while. Gone a put my tablet in a ziplock now, it's coming...

If possible I will post a bit from my phone, a bad video maybe, or just a sound recording.

C U later !

Good luck!

Just now, Ishmael said:

Good luck!

Thanks for that, sympathy for the generally not so poor cruiser/boaters is welcome, but also spare a thought for all the poor people, many of them on remote islands who lost everything in Winston.

It's gone be devastating for them, no doubt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fiji Bitter said:

C U later !

Stay safe.

7 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Stay safe.

Thanks BJ, trying to stay safe by moving behind a wall, but got hit by a louvre nevertheless. The corrugated iron roof makes horrifying noises, but is staying in one piece so far. Less terrifyingly than on the boat, but potentially equally dangerous. Gone quiet now, must be the eye, wind should shift to West, and we will shift to other side of the wall... Maybe next time better in the shelter, teasing Darwin now.

Here is the track from the Fiji Met office,  https://www.met.gov.fj/ looks like Nadi was spared the high winds, anyone heard anything from there?

Suva-Nadi - Zatara Hurricane.gif

RNZ is always a good source for info.. https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/433118/fiji-s-vanua-levu-pummelled-by-tc-yasa-overnight

If you scroll down there is a bit of vid showing yachts in some anchorage or other... sitting like ducks..... not piled up ashore ... so that is good.

RNZI on 11725 is also good in the evening into the SW Pacific and east coast Australia... hourly weather warnings..

Strangely they talk of 'hurricane warnings'... maybe some ( from TX?) don't take it seriously enough  if they just say 'cyclone'......