56 minutes ago, Cisco said:

I think your rational in an earlier post sounded plausible... two boats arrive... patrol boat informs HQ who say 'this is ridiculous.. if any more turn up tell them to fuck off' .

Combine this with a short handed - just the two of them -  yacht that has just arrived direct from Panama a little sleep deprived for the last month or two and wanting to repair sails. Knowing that two boats were allowed to stay and had just stopped there to go kite surfing while poaching a few crayfish I would possibly be a bit abrupt as well. Not that I would have played the 'its not your reef anyway... belongs to Fiji' card......

I don't think my watching a few zatara vids alters their financial status and it doesn't come out of my pocket.... one thing I have noticed is how he grovels in front of authorities/ is  obsequious... the man is all hat and no trousers....

that's all hat and no cows

22 minutes ago, savoir said:

Only in Texas

I don't think they're in Texas anymore, Toto.

8 hours ago, IStream said:

If you really want to experience bureaucratic fetishism, go to Japan. I noticed this on my first trip to Japan when buying Japan Rail's version of a Europass. If you were Japanese, you could execute the whole purchase in a fraction of a second using your mobile phone but foreigners had to line up at a counter and do it the old fashioned way, including triplicate-stamped forms and receipts. That was just the first of many similar experiences there. I know that India is similar but I think Japan is in a different league.

I've never been to India, but I was in Japan in the 90's with the Navy.  The bureaucracy was indeed at a different level.  Went to city hall a couple of times to obtain 9 different and differently sized slips of paper, each with it's own stamp and each with departure of a couple of hundred or couple of thousand yen.  Rental agreements, insurance you name it - several slips of paper, many stamps.

Back then, everything was cash including your rent.  I once paid three months rent for three apartments.  I was walking around with about $25k in yen.  To this day, I've never held so much cash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I don't care about putting money in Zatara's pocket.

But as a full time cruiser myself, I have next to zero interest in others cruising Vlogs. Being that I'm out here already anyway, I'm not their audience. I have yet to find one that captured my interest long enough to even see the promised bikinis.

But if I was to watch one, it wouldn't be that one.

Ditto... I rarely watch vlogs.... someone may mention something in CF's Tits'n'arse thread that I may watch once but it has to be pretty good to have me watch a second one... RAN's one on working on Volvo MD17D injectors was interesting.

Zatara has sucked me in ... just waiting to see what he does next.... I just skim through them as they have no substance whatsoever.... and knock off before the end.... I'll lose interest soon enough.

5 hours ago, KC375 said:

Metal stamp still in use. Used one (actually had one used for me) last week on a real estate transaction

Wow, cool, Donno if mine still changes dates...

4 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

I don't care about putting money in Zatara's pocket.

But as a full time cruiser myself, I have next to zero interest in others cruising Vlogs. Being that I'm out here already anyway, I'm not their audience. I have yet to find one that captured my interest long enough to even see the promised bikinis.

But if I was to watch one, it wouldn't be that one.

:rolleyes:

13 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

No, you needn't be obsequious, but politeness and good manners works wonders. And if you're asking a favor (e.g. "let me in please, since I have an emergency") arrogance is a bad look.

I did not listen to the broadcast, as I was under the impression it was embedded in a Zatara video and of questionable provenance.

I don't watch zatara videos either but I felt compelled to watch this extract to understand what you guys were talking about!

My conclusions were that :

1. Zatara's skipper is not to be trusted
  2. The kiwi skipper was a bit clumsy. IMHO Saying "I request permissions to stay as I need to make some repairs for the safety of my crew" should work better than "I am the skipper of this 50 years old wooden boat and I am not moving until it is safe to do so"
  3. The Tongans were using coronavirus as an excuse to assert their sovereignty over an uninhabited sunken reef. Were they protecting fishes from coronavirus?

Time to make a morse code digression.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shaggy said:

Wow, cool, Donno if mine still changes dates...

In my case no moving parts to the stamp. Date written in lovely royal blue with a small italic gold nibbed pre-war waterman fountain pen. Refined but not showy penmanship - all very genteel.

15 hours ago, Cisco said:

....... the man is all hat and no trousers....

14 hours ago, chester said:

"all hat and no trousers" is a lovely concatenation of "all mouth and no trousers" ( meaning full of talk but deficient in the sexual area) with "big hat no cattle" or "all hat and no cattle" (You get the idea when a real Texan like Ann Richards describes George Bush that way).

So I guess all hat and no trousers would be a showy pretentious eunuch....does that work for Zatara's skipper?

20 hours ago, IStream said:

Oh, those aren't gone yet, at least not in the US. 

If you really want to experience bureaucratic fetishism, go to Japan. I noticed this on my first trip to Japan when buying Japan Rail's version of a Europass. If you were Japanese, you could execute the whole purchase in a fraction of a second using your mobile phone but foreigners had to line up at a counter and do it the old fashioned way, including triplicate-stamped forms and receipts. That was just the first of many similar experiences there. I know that India is similar but I think Japan is in a different league.

A few years ago, I joined the board of a small Japanese biotech company and was introduced to the concept of the Inkan (personal seal) and associated Hanko (personal ink stamp). Essentially everyone in the country has a self-certified notary stamp. Now I do too.

I think Indonesia is the world champion of bureaucracy. We went there from Darwin using the Sail Indonesia Rally who look after the paperwork. Before we left we had our cruising permit, a beautiful document with coloured stamps from the navy, foreign ministry, etc. We had our visas from the consulate in Darwin. We arrived in Timor and three very pleasant young people came out to the boat and did some form signing and stamping. After getting pictures with us (they would have lots of pics as there were about 100 boats in the rally), they indicated we should go to a building with lots of flags in front. We went in and there another dozen or so officials arranged in a square. You went from desk to desk, giving crew lists and copies of boat registration and for the only time in our circumnavigation using the boat stamp we had bought before leaving. If you didn't have a boat stamp they send you to the high street to buy one and an ink pad. It got really exciting when an American pulled out his boat stamp - it was one of those embosser types. Even officials who did not normally want a boat stamp wanted one of those. Incredible bureaucracy and the people all could not have been more friendly. The only place we went with nicer Customs/Immigration was St Helena where the officer insisted we take pieces of the cake she had baked that morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

As it happens... friends of friends run the...

http://allhatcattle.com/

Looks like all cattle and no hat

09-09-jan-1-2010-127.jpg

On 8/15/2020 at 5:17 PM, Ajax said:

Yeah,  I still have one of those.  The modern version of a manual key has 2 vertical paddles. It's called a speed key.  One paddle is dots the other is dashes. There's a rheostat to control the transmitting speed of the dots and dashes. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/SKt2yMXP7DadU4Ye7

You have to have that hooked up to hardware that recognizes the different contact closures (one side dots, the other side dashes).  There are mechanical 'bugs' that do this all on their own.  The bugs require a lot of practice to master effectively.

original_presentation.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Panoramix said:

Time to make a morse code digression.

;) if you insist...

in any self respecting morse discussion the differences and merits of traditional versus iambic keyer should come up, the best analogy with a sailing discussion would be like "which anchor and why not?"

as far as I'm concerned, traditional is the real thing, iambic is for speed jockeys half of them not capable to make a continuous string of dots and dashes, always a bit of a glitch between one and the other paddle causing lots of uncertainty like : ..._ on traditional key versus ... _ on iambic, small difference but at hi speed makes all the difference

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

You have to have that hooked up to hardware that recognizes the different contact closures (one side dots, the other side dashes).  There are mechanical 'bugs' that do this all on their own.  The bugs require a lot of practice to master effectively.

original_presentation.jpg

Truth be told, I didn't have any use for speed keys and bugs because they allowed me to transmit FAR faster than I could copy. Any time I used a speed key, the responder would blast me and I'd have to ask them "pls to QRS 20wmp."

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Albatros said:

;) if you insist...

in any self respecting morse discussion the differences and merits of traditional versus iambic keyer should come up, the best analogy with a sailing discussion would be like "which anchor and why not?"

as far as I'm concerned, traditional is the real thing, iambic is for speed jockeys half of them not capable to make a continuous string of dots and dashes, always a bit of a glitch between one and the other paddle causing lots of uncertainty like : ..._ on traditional key versus ... _ on iambic, small difference but at hi speed makes all the difference

Thanks!

I find amazing how quick some people are. I am fascinated by morse and recently I have spent some time  on this website : lcwo.net/ It teaches you letter by letter the code, right now I am at 33 out of 40, so slowly getting there. As I said earlier I start to decode the slower QSOs on the ham bands.

54 minutes ago, Albatros said:

the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog ... once you get that one going you're halfway through

Now we're talking RTTY -- a whole 'nother world.

21 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

nope, was a standard phrase in any official morse code examination overhere ... what with all of the alphabet inthere

p.s. grin, in a marine context, we would talk about TOR rather than RTTY ... Telex Over Radio

1 minute ago, Albatros said:
23 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

nope, was a standard phrase in any official morse code examination overhere ... what with all of the alphabet inthere

It's also standard RTTY 'test tape', along with the usual RYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRY.  I use to enjoy copying TASS out of Cuba in English during the cold war on 16 MHz.  Interesting stuff. . .

39 minutes ago, bplipschitz said:

It's also standard RTTY 'test tape', along with the usual RYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRY.  I use to enjoy copying TASS out of Cuba in English during the cold war on 16 MHz.  Interesting stuff. . .

true that, but as morse predates telex .... funny that the RYRYetc. sound is still sometimes ringing through my head when thinking back, with a telex on board you had this sound and a couple of red diodes giving you the cue when to start the punch tape, or start reception, when it turned form RYRYRYetc... to di  di  di  di .................some people onhere might now declare me bonkers what with all the beeps, di's, dah's and doodah's ... and maybe they are right, was sort of a requirement for that job :wacko:

On 8/18/2020 at 8:09 AM, chester said:

Don't you try pushing your texan arrogance on me, sport, its 'all hat and no trousers'  in the situation under discussion....

Now I'm not sure if this involved a texan or not....

A friend works as a nurse at a private clinic in Auckland... doing heart stuff, treadmills, ECGs and the like. Big signs outside the building, inside the building, in the clinic... masks must be worn.

'Merkin prick turns up at reception ... no mask... 'you can't make me wear a mask'... seems after 20 minutes at reception he was wearing a mask..

Do you lot only let the dickheads out?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chester said:

can you two get a room? :P

B) sure, but in the radio room it was better to be with as little as possible people, so bug out, you're redundant :P ....signing off for now yer 'onor

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cisco said:

Don't you try pushing your texan arrogance on me, sport, its 'all hat and no trousers'  in the situation under discussion....

Now I'm not sure if this involved a texan or not....

A friend works as a nurse at a private clinic in Auckland... doing heart stuff, treadmills, ECGs and the like. Big signs outside the building, inside the building, in the clinic... masks must be worn.

'Merkin prick turns up at reception ... no mask... 'you can't make me wear a mask'... seems after 20 minutes at reception he was wearing a mask..

Do you lot only let the dickheads out?

That's the problem, some of the ugliest Americans are those who travel. I can't tell you how many times when cruising Down Under I heard "you are the first American we ever met that we liked". People seem to forget that when they travel they represent the country they come from.

• Like 3

Man, there's a fair bit of american dumbass bias going on in this thead.

I've watched a couple of the Zatara vlogs and yes he's a bit "Texan" and he plays that up a fair bit, often refers to himself as a redneck and fulfils that role well.

But I disagree on this video. He had all the nescesary paperwork and approvals to go to Fiji and knew that he was not permitted to enter Tonga.

On arrival at Minerva, he checks his radar and sees 2 vessels in the reef. So he broadcasts asking for current conditions on the pass - sensible thing to do it seems to me.

Finding out one is a Tongan patrol boat, he explains his situation well and is initially denied entry. He then re-iterates his situation, stating that he is not going to Tonga, and has appropriate permission and paperwork to go to Fiji. Result - the Tongans let him in.

The Kiwi dude is a prime example of dumbass IMHO. This guy just rocks up, doesn't ask permission and then starts an argument with them and reminds them that Fiji also claim the reef as theirs, brilliant negotiating skills! result - told to move on , or they will be forcibly moved on.

Yes, the kiting, fishing and cray snaring should have got Zatara tossed by the Tongans, but hey, maybe he's not such a dumbass and had a chat to them before hand, we'll never know. 

6 hours ago, Chapter Four said:

''But I disagree on this video. He had all the nescesary paperwork and approvals to go to Fiji and knew that he was not permitted to enter Tonga.'

No..... He did not have the paperwork when he left NZ...  Fiji had not put in place their requirements when he left... their border was still closed.

He left before he and his family had their covid test results... when Fiji did announce their requirements - while he was at sea -  they required  a negative covid test result before you sailed along with having appointed an agent and been granted permission.... all before you sailed.

He only got into Fiji because... when called out by the authorities ... he is willing to suck donkey dick...

You do know why he always wears that hat? ..and this has nothing to do with cattle or trousers....

7 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

That's the problem, some of the ugliest Americans are those who travel. I can't tell you how many times when cruising Down Under I heard "you are the first American we ever met that we liked". People seem to forget that when they travel they represent the country they come from.

That's not a purely USA issue. Reminds me of a Quebec joke on Frenchmen :

How do you make money with a Frenchman ?

Buy him for what he's worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth.

Hard to deny that there is truth in there...

For this reason when I am abroad, I always say "I am from Brittany", those who don't know where is Brittany can suss it out from my French accent! Those who know might give me a chance...

• Like 3

Couldn't resist to procrastinate on you tube a bit :

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

I think Indonesia is the world champion of bureaucracy. We went there from Darwin using the Sail Indonesia Rally who look after the paperwork. Before we left we had our cruising permit, a beautiful document with coloured stamps from the navy, foreign ministry, etc. We had our visas from the consulate in Darwin. We arrived in Timor and three very pleasant young people came out to the boat and did some form signing and stamping. After getting pictures with us (they would have lots of pics as there were about 100 boats in the rally), they indicated we should go to a building with lots of flags in front. We went in and there another dozen or so officials arranged in a square. You went from desk to desk, giving crew lists and copies of boat registration and for the only time in our circumnavigation using the boat stamp we had bought before leaving. If you didn't have a boat stamp they send you to the high street to buy one and an ink pad. It got really exciting when an American pulled out his boat stamp - it was one of those embosser types. Even officials who did not normally want a boat stamp wanted one of those. Incredible bureaucracy and the people all could not have been more friendly. The only place we went with nicer Customs/Immigration was St Helena where the officer insisted we take pieces of the cake she had baked that morning.

When I was planning for cruising, I read about boat stamps. How you should have one. But it sort of fell through the cracks in the multi-page list of shit-to-do before we cast off lines, and we did not get around to it before leaving the U.S.

Then I sort of forget about it for a while. It seemed like a pain in the ass to get done, you had to design something, then order it, then actually be in some place long enough for it to show up.

Just never got around to it.

But not once in the two dozen or so countries I've cleared into was I asked to produce one. But...I've never sailed in SE Asia.

8 hours ago, Russell Brown said:

On cruise ships and planes, sure. Cruise victims can be a plague on any port.

Not so much on the slow boats. I've never really gotten much guff from anyone about being American, or really any problems or even heard much trash talk about American cruisers. Pretty much everywhere we've been, we've been welcomed.

A few places like Grenada and Panama the reception is warmer, though Panama has a long, weird, semi-abusive history with the U.S. the appreciated our help with Noriega.

For most, long term cruising takes some edges off.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

For this reason when I am abroad, I always say "I am from Brittany", those who don't know where is Brittany can suss it out from my French accent! Those who know might give me a chance...

So...galette recipes? Or is that more of a Normandy thing?

I have this bag of buckwheat flour...

50 minutes ago, Cisco said:

No..... He did not have the paperwork when he left NZ...  Fiji had not put in place their requirements when he left... their border was still closed.

He left before he and his family had their covid test results... when Fiji did announce their requirements - while he was at sea -  they required  a negative covid test result before you sailed along with having appointed an agent and been granted permission.... all before you sailed.

He only got into Fiji because... when called out by the authorities ... he is willing to suck donkey dick...

You do know why he always wears that hat? ..and this has nothing to do with cattle or trousers....

I was under the impression that Fiji had published their rules and Zatara had started their paperwork for there, but had not received confirmation of their entry approval when they left NZ. I thought they got it while at Minerva.

I've not waded into the videos, so I may be mistaken.

34 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

When I was planning for cruising, I read about boat stamps. How you should have one. But it sort of fell through the cracks in the multi-page list of shit-to-do before we cast off lines, and we did not get around to it before leaving the U.S.

Then I sort of forget about it for a while. It seemed like a pain in the ass to get done, you had to design something, then order it, then actually be in some place long enough for it to show up.

Just never got around to it.

But not once in the two dozen or so countries I've cleared into was I asked to produce one. But...I've never sailed in SE Asia.

Indonesia was the only country where we needed one but the easier and cheaper route would have been to go to a local store to get one made while you wait. Fascinating take on the entry procedure, you are not legally into the country yet but you can go do a bit of shopping. I think Indonesia is like a lot of developing countries, their educational systems are producing lots of low level college grads but there are not enough 'real' jobs for these folks so they get swallowed up by the burgeoning government bureaucracy. Generally as countries become more advanced the entry procedures become simpler and cheaper to operate (the US is a a possible exception). The best example we had was in Guadeloupe where you entered by typing your stuff (one page) into a computer in the back of a tourist gift shop. The owner of the store got five euros for the use of his store and for signing your forms. If you knew when you were leaving you could do the exit procedure at the same time.

14 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Indonesia was the only country where we needed one but the easier and cheaper route would have been to go to a local store to get one made while you wait. Fascinating take on the entry procedure, you are not legally into the country yet but you can go do a bit of shopping. I think Indonesia is like a lot of developing countries, their educational systems are producing lots of low level college grads but there are not enough 'real' jobs for these folks so they get swallowed up by the burgeoning government bureaucracy. Generally as countries become more advanced the entry procedures become simpler and cheaper to operate (the US is a a possible exception). The best example we had was in Guadeloupe where you entered by typing your stuff (one page) into a computer in the back of a tourist gift shop. The owner of the store got five euros for the use of his store and for signing your forms. If you knew when you were leaving you could do the exit procedure at the same time.

Clearing in in that little gift shop in Deshaies is one of my favorite anecdotes about how wildly variable the clearing in procedures we've dealt with has been.

42 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

So...galette recipes? Or is that more of a Normandy thing?

I have this bag of buckwheat flour...

Galette is definitely a Breton thing...

Nowadays you can find galette for really cheap at any baker or village market so I must admit that my grand mother recipe has been lost. Nevertheless, this one sounds about right to me : https://odelices.ouest-france.fr/recette/galettes-de-ble-noir-ou-sarrasin-la-recette-de-base-r1995/

If google translate doesn't do a good enough job, let me know and I will translate.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Galette is definitely a Breton thing...

Nowadays you can find galette for really cheap at any baker or village market so I must admit that my grand mother recipe has been lost. Nevertheless, this one sounds about right to me : https://odelices.ouest-france.fr/recette/galettes-de-ble-noir-ou-sarrasin-la-recette-de-base-r1995/

If google translate doesn't do a good enough job, let me know and I will translate.

Thanks!

I can read most of it without Google, but I'll probably run it through to make sure I don't screw it up. Seems pretty simple.

The next step of course is the fillings.

There's a French guy (I forget from which part, I think Normandy) who opened a cafe here in Whangarei who makes pretty authentic galettes.

3 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

he next step of course is the fillings.

For the fillings, you can do what most Breton mums do when they want to prepare a quick meal : egg + ham + grated cheese and if you are still hungry, you can have another one with just cheese!

Another option is to heat finely chopped onions in a frying pan with lot of butter until they are golden. Add them to your galette, if you can find some smoked sausage approaching Breton Andouille, you can also add a slice or two.

You may also want to have a go at our version of fastfood : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galette-saucisse

That is a hot pork sausage in a cold galette.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2020 at 8:41 AM, KC375 said:

So I guess all hat and no trousers would be a showy pretentious eunuch....does that work for Zatara's skipper?

I’m thinking “all dick and no balls” in this case. Not sure how that works in Texas but in New England it gets the point across.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Panoramix said:

That's not a purely USA issue. Reminds me of a Quebec joke on Frenchmen :

Hard to deny that there is truth in there...

Québécois commenting on French are really commenting on Parisiens so your clarification would work well.

16 minutes ago, KC375 said:

Québécois commenting on French are really commenting on Parisiens so your clarification would work well.

May be I should transpose the joke! :D

1 hour ago, Panoramix said:

May be I should transpose the joke! :D

Yes, how to make money off of a Parisien....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KC375 said:

I thought that joke was about Argentinians.... the spanish speaking people from southern Italy who think they were a sophisticated as the French and wish they were English.

12 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Thanks!

I can read most of it without Google, but I'll probably run it through to make sure I don't screw it up. Seems pretty simple.

The next step of course is the fillings.

There's a French guy (I forget from which part, I think Normandy) who opened a cafe here in Whangarei who makes pretty authentic galettes.

Check seriouseats.com, not only was it my favorite chef/food scientist's (Kenji) home base, Daniel Gritzer is top-notch and his home recipe works well. Made the crêpes complète (egg, gruyère, ham) using his recipe, far as I can remember it was as good as any we'd had in Bretagne. But for God's sake, if you can, do not use that prepackaged deli ham crap - real ham, that isn't glued, square or round, is far better. We typically use a small, lightly smoked ham and cut off slices with a knife.

We did cheat - my wife has a restaurant with a few pro crêpe makers, but we've made regular ones at home with a large nonstick pan.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/05/savory-buckwheat-crepes-galettes-bretonnes-recipe.html

13 hours ago, B.J. Porter said:

Headed to Whangarei tomorrow,

What is the french Galetteirs business name? We'll stop in for a bite.

2 hours ago, 2flit said:

Headed to Whangarei tomorrow,

What is the french Galetteirs business name? We'll stop in for a bite.

Le Bistro de Paris, it’s right in the middle of town.

Is the dodgy pizza place still on the far side of the roundabout... Reyburn and Lower Dent...ish?

Maybe 2 years ago... looking for a feed... sign said  'pizza'... went in... full of bikies... 'do you you do pizza?'.... 'yes'.. 

Somebody  comes out from the back ... takes order... fires up oven...

Good pizzas... we were only customers... but place was busy with ... blokes in leathers who kept wandering past asking how our pizza was...

I don't think pizza was/is  their main business

12 minutes ago, Cisco said:

Is the dodgy pizza place still on the far side of the roundabout... Reyburn and Lower Dent...ish?

Maybe 2 years ago... looking for a feed... sign said  'pizza'... went in... full of bikies... 'do you you do pizza?'.... 'yes'.. 

Good pizzas... we were only customers... but place was busy with ... blokes in leathers who kept wandering past asking how our pizza was...

The place that looks like a biker bar? Yeah. I went there a couple of years ago, haven't been in recently.

Met with cruising friends today, and the topic of a boat leaving for Fiji in the next day or two came up. General consensus: Non Kiwi boat...bad idea. Even though their paperwork is cleared for Fiji. Taking on a lot of risk getting caught up there in cyclone season, and for what?

When that was mentioned, someone brought up that other boat that left without clearances. The round of "harumphs" that followed in the wake of mentioning that other boat had not one positive or supportive word for them or their actions. Weird. It's like we all know they make us look bad and may screw things for the rest of us or something. But what do we know? We're the dummies wearing socks in the NZ winter.

17 minutes ago, B.J. Porter said:

The place that looks like a biker bar? Yeah. I went there a couple of years ago, haven't been in recently.

Didn't look like a biker bar from the outside.... from the inside?... yep...

1 hour ago, Cisco said:

sort of like this ?

anyway, Whangarei was the only place in NZ where experience was less than great, the guys I was sailing with stayed for months in NZ and had bought them a car, it was thrashed  parked on that bridge connecting the two sides of marina (we were on other side), windows all gone, seats carved up, the whole lot, but to my surprise couple months later they mailed me that police actually found the local drunk yobs who did this, usual suspects and all was refunded ... overhere police would only bother to take your complaint and nothing more, so good on NZ coppers.

17 hours ago, Cisco said:

Didn't look like a biker bar from the outside.... from the inside?... yep...

The bikes outside sometimes make it look like a biker bar.

Damn entitled Kiwi's snubbing every countrys sovereignty & immigration regulations around the globe! 

New Zealander sails through Arctic on custom yacht in violation of COVID-19 restrictions

'I am a yacht, not a bloody cruise ship,' says Peter Smith, who's adamant he will not be turned around

According to the Canadian government, he has no business being there.

But 72-year-old Peter Smith is sailing the Northwest Passage anyway, in violation of COVID-19-related orders prohibiting most foreign yachts from entering Canadian waters...

... Reached by email, Smith said the story is one of bureaucracy "out of control and gone mad."

... "Canada has no legal right to apply Canadian law to a foreigner in [an] international waterway," Smith wrote. "Half the world does not recognize Canada's claims and this needs to be sorted out."

...Smith said he was initially communicating with Transport Canada after they first gave notice of the ban on May 14.  He said it wasn't until six days after he left Nome, Alaska, on July 27 that they notified him the trip would not be allowed.

In response, he stopped reporting his location to authorities.

"I had tried to comply with Canadian requirements as a mark of respect to Canada," he wrote. "As far as I am concerned, I was dictated to and not consulted."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/new-zealand-yacht-cambridge-bay-nunavut-1.5698347

If the Canadians were less Canadian they’ll do what the Americans would do, nab him and put him in the mass detention with other ppl before detention and give him a virtual covid death sentence. 

Typical Smith behaviour......

Just goes to show it's not just Merkins who are dumbarses dragging their dirty arses across the globe....

Meanwhile ... to show you how it is really done.... both by the perps and the polis...

These entitled dropkicks were dragged screaming off their motorboat... stuck in the back of a police van .. and taken away to an unknown destination.... known as a 'quarantine hotel' but its really a 're-education camp' . Criminal charges are pending both in Qland and NSW and with a bit of luck also in Vic.

Unzud, Tonga, and Canada could learn from this......

https://www.theage.com.au/national/queensland/melbourne-millionaire-s-alleged-yacht-breach-sparks-criminal-investigation-20200826-p55pdu.html

I wonder if the Zits are still think of coming to Australia....

6 hours ago, Miffy said:

If the Canadians were less Canadian they’ll do what the Americans would do, nab him and put him in the mass detention with other ppl before detention and give him a virtual covid death sentence. 

I think you are confusing white rulebreaker consequences with nonwhite rulebreaker consequences

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

I think you are confusing white rulebreaker consequences with nonwhite rulebreaker consequences

You’re right 

17 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Damn entitled Kiwi's snubbing every countrys sovereignty & immigration regulations around the globe! 

New Zealander sails through Arctic on custom yacht in violation of COVID-19 restrictions

'I am a yacht, not a bloody cruise ship,' says Peter Smith, who's adamant he will not be turned around

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/new-zealand-yacht-cambridge-bay-nunavut-1.5698347

We do not have an exclusive lock on dumbassery, to be sure.

11 hours ago, savoir said:

They have to leave Fiji in November.

They can apply for an extension on their visas.

However, whether they want to be in Fiji in November or not is a different question. Most of us do not, though some have done that. It's not an instant death sentence, but if you have insurance or a mortgage on your boat (which requires insurance) you aren't going to have a happy time if you lose the boat unless you had it pulled out and strapped down.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:11 AM, B.J. Porter said:

We do not have an exclusive lock on dumbassery, to be sure.

I was just picturing the pearl clutching whingeing that would happen if that was a solo American that decided to flaunt Canada's COVID border closure.

There is already an established 'snitch line' on the Inside Passage for American boats in BC.  Kiwi's apparently get a pass.

1 hour ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

I was just picturing the pearl clutching whingeing that would happen if that was a solo American that decided to flaunt Canada's COVID border closure.

There is already an established 'snitch line' on the Inside Passage for American boats in BC.  Kiwi's apparently get a pass.

The odds are a lot higher of an American incursion than a Kiwi incursion there. It's not quite as easy to escort him to the border.

Doesn't make his behavior right though.

On 8/27/2020 at 9:14 PM, B.J. Porter said:

They can apply for an extension on their visas.

However, whether they want to be in Fiji in November or not is a different question. Most of us do not, though some have done that. It's not an instant death sentence, but if you have insurance or a mortgage on your boat (which requires insurance) you aren't going to have a happy time if you lose the boat unless you had it pulled out and strapped down.

Moonduster left his boat in Fiji.   Not too smart.

4 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

Sorry, I've been rather busy putting the boot into him over on CF....

1 hour ago, savoir said:

Moonduster left his boat in Fiji.   Not too smart.

From what I recall he was ON his boat in Fiji, cruising around. He didn't leave it.

Leaving it in a cyclone pit in Vuda Point is a reasonably safe place to be.

I have friends who rode out Winston with their boat on a mooring in Savusavu. A few boats were lost there.

1 hour ago, B.J. Porter said:

From what I recall he was ON his boat in Fiji, cruising around. He didn't leave it.

Leaving it in a cyclone pit in Vuda Point is a reasonably safe place to be.

I have friends who rode out Winston with their boat on a mooring in Savusavu. A few boats were lost there.

I don't know where he was when the storm hit.

On 8/17/2020 at 2:16 PM, B.J. Porter said:

anyway, I'm not their audience. 

I think the target audience of such vlogs is simply anyone who will regularly listen to/watch such dumbfuckery/dumbassery.

5 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

I missed that one, that's fucked up.  Wondered why there was a lack of comments from MD.  Hope he ends up back on the water.

There was a thread at the time where he joined in and had a lot to say about it, I think if you search "Moonduster Lost" you can find it.

He's still hanging around here, but he's not terribly pleasant. Last time I recall hearing from him he was taking a shit on me and my boat when I was having rudder problems last year.

On 8/18/2020 at 9:37 AM, Panoramix said:

Thanks!

I find amazing how quick some people are. I am fascinated by morse and recently I have spent some time  on this website : lcwo.net/ It teaches you letter by letter the code, right now I am at 33 out of 40, so slowly getting there. As I said earlier I start to decode the slower QSOs on the ham bands.

Download the app Morse Elmer - costs like $3 or something .  Great practice tool.

• Like 1

When I was hired for my last flying job about forty years ago we had to read six words per minute.  I was threatened that if I did not pass the test I would have to return to Polar Bear Airlines.  That was enough incentive.  I am amazed by those who can read twenty or forty words per minute.

30 minutes ago, Jud - s/v Sputnik said:

Download the app Morse Elmer - costs like $3 or something .  Great practice tool.

Thanks for the tip, sadly it doesn't seem to be available on Android which I use.

I use "IZ2UUF Morse Koch" on Android, I've stopped using the tube to avoid COVID but before this I found that this was the most appropriate way for me to endure the tube journeys!

The Wynns just posted a YT crossover vid with Zatara. Didn't watch it, won't watch it. The Wynn's brand is nice, generous people who follow the rules and try to do things right. Maybe it's a biz decision, maybe it's just Texas cruiser solidarity ... but they need to be careful about the company they keep.

Unless they *want* a future episode where they explain how their friends ("...who are more acquaintances actually") wound up in a gunfight with the Tongan navy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diarmuid said:

The Wynns just posted a YT crossover vid with Zatara. Didn't watch it, won't watch it. The Wynn's brand is nice, generous people who follow the rules and try to do things right. Maybe it's a biz decision, maybe it's just Texas cruiser solidarity ... but they need to be careful about the company they keep.

Unless they *want* a future episode where they explain how their friends ("...who are more acquaintances actually") wound up in a gunfight with the Tongan navy. 

The who?

The Wynns?

Or the Tongan Navy?

Okay, so their capital ships are three 1980s vintage patrol boats and a newer Guardian class PB. Still back them against one dumbass Texan with a smuggled handgun.

On 9/1/2020 at 2:21 PM, Diarmuid said:

Aren’t the Wynns vegetarians? Wonder how they feel about bacon chiliburgers with velveeta and a side order of ring ding juniors? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, loneshark64 said:

Aren’t the Wynns vegetarians? Wonder how they feel about bacon chiliburgers with velveeta and a side order of ring ding juniors? 

Texas vegetarians. They are used to the "Luv me some Carl's Jr, mmm mmm mm!" experience. I'm a Wyoming vegetarian. We keep a low profile.:lol:

(At least Jason is veggie. Dunno about Nikki. But yeah, really transverse to the Zatara crew.)

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 4:21 PM, B.J. Porter said:

My understanding is it was right here. I've sailed by it.

image.thumb.png.f7a6e13dda8e893d5f118ff0f94d51c9.png

image.png.928b846ce72fbe98a143c15dba14708e.png

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/moonduster-lost-in-fiji-cyclone/

Their plan was to relocate as the eye passed over. Wtf. Betting on exactly where the eye will be is a very bad bet. Even if it hits you dead on, you don't have long. Amazing experience on dry land, though. 

4 hours ago, Cisco said:

I wonder if American Dumbass know American Dumbfuck?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/122697129/the-sailing-family-one-of-hundreds-in-covid-limbo-in-south-pacific

Shouldn't have left NZ when you did you stupid prick!!!!!

There's no compelling humanitarian reason to let them in to either Australia or NZ. They can fly home if they think their life is at risk.

Sure their boat might get trashed by a cyclone but that's just a material/financial loss and a risk they willingly accepted in the first place. Not our problem.

I'd probably open one port for entry into Australia with the caveat that you leave your boat and go into 2 weeks quarantine at your expense on arrival and no, I  wouldn't count passage time towards the 2 weeks because I don't trust you not to go to a reef somewhere and party on. That provided you demonstrate that you have sufficient finances for us to deport you by fastest means (ie air) in the event that you break any of our laws. End of cyclone season, you leave from your port of entry.

We can't even move without jumping through a lot of hoops between States here and can't leave the country without prior approval so why in the world would we want to add rich cruising yachties to the mix? Their desire to sail into a cyclone area doesn't mean we have to bail them out.

FKT

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Cisco said:

I wonder if American Dumbass know American Dumbfuck?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/122697129/the-sailing-family-one-of-hundreds-in-covid-limbo-in-south-pacific

Shouldn't have left NZ when you did you stupid prick!!!!!

4 hours ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

There's no compelling humanitarian reason to let them in to either Australia or NZ. They can fly home if they think their life is at risk.

Sure their boat might get trashed by a cyclone but that's just a material/financial loss and a risk they willingly accepted in the first place. Not our problem.

I'd probably open one port for entry into Australia with the caveat that you leave your boat and go into 2 weeks quarantine at your expense on arrival and no, I  wouldn't count passage time towards the 2 weeks because I don't trust you not to go to a reef somewhere and party on. That provided you demonstrate that you have sufficient finances for us to deport you by fastest means (ie air) in the event that you break any of our laws. End of cyclone season, you leave from your port of entry.

We can't even move without jumping through a lot of hoops between States here and can't leave the country without prior approval so why in the world would we want to add rich cruising yachties to the mix? Their desire to sail into a cyclone area doesn't mean we have to bail them out.

FKT

I just listened in tonight to a Zoom call sponsored by the Auckland SSCA host to talk to these issues. It's pretty grim out there.

The news for boats not in NZ and Australia is not encouraging. They're giving the superyachts up in French Poly a hard time about coming for the Cup even, never mind us little yachties. (Referring to us as "rich cruising yachties" is a bit of a misnomer, most of us are not super rich like the Superyacht crowd. Not even close...some are quite the opposite. Compared to a villager in Fiji or Vanuatu, the average yachtie is certainly wealthy, compared to the average Kiwi or Aussie, most of us are upper middle class or less. I certainly can't afford to buy a house in greater Sydney, and I do not meet the financial qualifications to immigrate to NZ.)

Crystal clear on the denial for Cyclones for humanitarian appeals. With thousands of Kiwis still stuck outside the country and only being let in piecemeal so as not to overwhelm the isolation facilities, there's not much sentiment to use that space for foreigners. No protocol is in place for on-yacht isolation, as there have been...incidents...with self and even managed isolation that have made the population and the authorities quite twitchy about trusting people to do it right.

There was some talk of figuring something out on the Q dock in Opua, but that's all of 15-20m from the regular docks, any numpty can row across it in ten seconds. And it's not that big, two dozen boats would be tight. And we're talking about possibly hundreds of boats that would need quarantine for 2+ weeks. You've got septic needs in a no-discharge zone, food, etc. to deal with on there (keep in mind NZ removes most of your perishables and meat when you arrive). So that is currently going nowhere fast.

In NZ, the financial impact of the cruising yachties is measurable, the impact on a couple of town like Whangarei, where a large number of marine services which get much business when the fleet arrives, is considerable. NZ seems cognizant of this, and wants to keep attracting people here from what I can tell so I expect action there to be more likely than not, eventually. They've certainly been accommodating for those of us here.

In Oz though, cruising yachties are barely even a rounding error economically. There are far fewer of us there to being with, and the economy is a whole lot bigger so even if Oz had NZ like numbers of visitors it wouldn't be that big of an impact, relatively speaking. It was very clear when I was there that the Australian marine industry does not need or understand cruisers. In the two years I spent in Australia, it never really seemed like the government or people gave a seconds' thought to cruisers either. It seems Australia would be far less likely to make an exemption for foreign yachts.

At one point there were over two hundred boats anchored out on Nuka Hiva. That sounds...crowded. There have been logjams in Papeete, and the government hasn't really wanted people moving around. So there's been a lot of grumbling about holding tanks, pollution, etc.

In theory one can spend Cyclone season in Fiji or the Marquesas.

In practice, both of the those places have a lot of extra boats for this time of year. So there aren't a lot of cyclone pits at Vuda Point, and it's going to be a melee trying to get tied into the mangroves in the protected hurricane holes because of all the boats. More are still arriving in both places, I believe.

For those with insurance, the insurance doesn't say "Thou Shalt Not Go to Fiji in Cyclone Season." What it says is "If you lose your boat in a cyclone in Fiji during hurricane season, don't bother filing a claim."

The difference is that you don't actually invalidate your policy by being there, if you sink your boat or set fire to it up in Fiji during cyclone season and it's NOT because of a named storm, you'll still be covered.

---

The other complication in NZ of course is the election, which was pushed back to next month. Parliament is dissolved and all the MPs are out campaigning. With everyone concerned about stranded Kiwis outside (and who is paying for their managed isolation) no one is running on a platform of "let's bring the foreigners here first." I think everyone is afraid of making a mistake that will leave them hanging out to dry until the elections are done and the next government is formed.

That doesn't bode well for a timely resolution much before the end of October. Which leaves little time to prepare to sail, never mind actually get a visa approved even if that's allowed, since NZ immigration is backed up fuller than a row of porta-potties on the last day of Lollapalooza at the moment. AND all the out of country processing in Beijing is shut down.

---

So the options if you're in the tropics now are looking like "figure out how not to lose your boat in a cyclone" and ride it out up there, for now. Leave it and fly out, or stay on it and hope you can find a good place to hole up if the worst happens.

Maybe something will change or break, but it doesn't seem likely before the NZ elections.

• Like 4

I’m not sure there’s any lesson to be taught/learned with these folks who just decided that the world has to deal with them during covid times. 

So why not setup an isolated anchorage and charge them upfront fee for quarantine at anchorage for 14 days. Food, water and fuel delivered without contact at monopolist prices. Say each catamaran family should expect to hand over 5000 NZD for the privilege and opportunity & to pay for compliance and enforcement 

4 hours ago, Miffy said:

I’m not sure there’s any lesson to be taught/learned with these folks who just decided that the world has to deal with them during covid times. 

So why not setup an isolated anchorage and charge them upfront fee for quarantine at anchorage for 14 days. Food, water and fuel delivered without contact at monopolist prices. Say each catamaran family should expect to hand over 5000 NZD for the privilege and opportunity & to pay for compliance and enforcement 

What's the cost associated with the risk that this causes an in-country outbreak because some asshole decided they don't need to play by the rules and sneaks off? After all, some of these folks have already shown they don't give a shit about the rules. I'm guessing it's far higher than 5000 NZD per boat. This is why they can't have nice things. 

These folks had every opportunity to get back to their home countries or territories thereof over the last few months. They chose not to. Ask FKT says above, it's time to fly home or live with the consequences of your prior decisions.

• Like 1