Sign in to follow this  
dylan winter

fekkin nice 16 footer - shame about the patio doors - goodonimisay!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-53314228

_113261862_boat.jpg

A man who built a 16-foot sailing dinghy in his house was forced to remove his patio door to get it out.

Ex-land surveyor Steve Goodchild, from Paignton, spent 13 hours a day for the past three months to complete the vessel, he named Barnacle.

Mr Goodchild said had he stuck to his original design it would have sailed through the door without any problem.

• Like 1

I'd want my land resurveyed if he did the original.

• Like 2

What the heck are those weird little transverse mini thwarts for?

22 minutes ago, bgytr said:

I wonder if those are part of the plans that he changed.

Looks like a beauty though, nicely proportioned hull. Varnished seats are hot as a stove burner to sit on, around here, but up in the far north I guess it's OK.

I wish they had some sailing pics, he seemed happy with the boat.

FB- Doug

Reminds me of the neighbour who built a small plane in his basement when I was a kid. He knocked out the end wall under the carport of his brick bungalow, dug a ramp, and pushed out a fuselage and positioned it on his front lawn. Covered over the wall with plywood. A couple of months later, out came the wing spar. Mounted that up on the fuselage. Later the engine was installed. Pissed my dad off when he would start it up early on a Sunday morning and run it up to test out the systems. But Dad was quite interested as he had flown a similar high wing monoplane (Auster) in the war as an artillery spotter. So he would drift over from time to time to chat up the builder. It was a big day when he took the wing off and a flat bed rolled up for it to trucked who knows where for inspection, and hopefully it passed and it flew. 

7 hours ago, bgytr said:

Knees for side benches

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I'd want my land resurveyed if he did the original.

If he spent 13 hours a day for 3 months working on his boat, removing and reinstalling a patio door is just a small fraction of the job!

That's a Selway Fisher Design, a popular Designer of boats for home construction, There are several I'd love to build. especially the Ant or Beccles, and the Safe harbour 12.

www.selway-fisher.com (see under Dayboats / other Dayboats for the boats I've mentioned myself)

I was going to build one of his designs myself (38 years ago!!), but then the RAF posted me to the Outer Hebridies.

4 hours ago, andykane said:

Knees for side benches

Ahh ok.  

6 hours ago, The Q said:

I was going to build one of his designs myself (38 years ago!!), but then the RAF posted me to the Outer Hebridies.

What had you done?

This sort of problem happens all the time in the furniture moving world. People order vast sofas with no idea how to get it into their home.  I once was part of a team that carried a 25 x 8' table up a 20 floor fire escape. Jeez that fucker was heavy, made of MDF and black lacquered.

10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

What had you done?

I think some comedian thought as I had been there before, I could go again.  Dad had been posted there 10 years before as a civilian.   I had actually seen the radar I was posted out there to work on,  trundle slowly down the road when it arrived,  ten years before.  3 big artic sized Lorries, in green make a big event down tiny single tracked roads.. 

( note in certain branches of the civil service in the UK,  if you want promotion you have to accept postings)

Great story and who needs a bloody patio door?

Beautiful boat indeed. Yes not sure what made it "fatter." Perhaps the gunwale? 

10 hours ago, Whinging Pom said:

I once was part of a team that carried a 25 x 8' table up a 20 floor fire escape.

there ain't enough money ...

crane .

• Like 1