DryArmour

STANFORD SAILING NO MORE 2020-21

From the Stanford Department of athletics:

Co-ed sailing has been discontinued for 2020-21

Stanford sailing no more.jpg

From what I can understand, this just means that the team will become a club team, which probably wouldn't be so bad if Stanford wasn't so reliant on recruiting new talent with likely letters (often from abroad). There have been, and continue to be plenty of very successful collegiate club teams such as brown, but I think this will be a decent hit to Stanford especially if you consider how well funded they need to be to fly nearly every single weekend to events. I don't think this is the end of Stanford as a competitive powerhouse, but I do think this will definitely hurt them long-term, and make teams like Yale and Harvard, which can still recruit, all that much stronger.

It's all probably vandermoore's fault, as always.

Someone’s parents paid a lot of money In the Varsity Blues scandal to get them onto a team that doesn’t exist any more. 

1 minute ago, jackolantern said:

Someone’s parents paid a lot of money In the Varsity Blues scandal to get them onto a team that doesn’t exist any more. 

No-one paid anyone to get onto the team. They paid to get into the school and NOT have to be on the team.

I'm pointing this out because as far as I know, no members of the team were implicated in the varsity blues scandal at all, and there is no reason to tarnish their reputation.

• Like 1

Crew is also cut, along with....**pausing for effect**

Wrestling.  Seriously. They cut the wrestling program. If this were Iowa,  there'd be riots on the lawn.
Fencing and synchronized swimming also got cut.  You all may laugh at synchronized swimming, but the Cardinal has been top five in the country for years, with multiple Olympians coming off the team. It's not just a "if it makes money, it stays, if it loses money, it goes"  because Stanford Womens Basketball loses a lot of money, but Tara VanDerVeere still has a job.

...which is a good thing.  There's also Title IX to consider.

6 hours ago, JohnMB said:

No-one paid anyone to get onto the team. They paid to get into the school and NOT have to be on the team.

I'm pointing this out because as far as I know, no members of the team were implicated in the varsity blues scandal at all, and there is no reason to tarnish their reputation.

Sorry, my bad. the coach took money to get kids into school to not play on a team that doesn’t exist any more. 

9 hours ago, DryArmour said:

From the Stanford Department of athletics:

Co-ed sailing has been discontinued for 2020-21

Stanford sailing no more.jpg

I'd just like to point out that it also says women's sailing.  So basically, everything other than just blokes.

Very lame.  The farts from the 50th richest living stanford alumni could fund these teams for a decade.  

As an aside, how much interest does Stanford's 27 billion endowment generate in a day?

Overall, bad optics/PR on this from Stanford.

PS- PITA: American college sailing is either co-ed or womens. There are no men's only events, except for maybe some singlehanded stuff.  

9 hours ago, PITA said:

I'd just like to point out that it also says women's sailing.  So basically, everything other than just blokes.

There is no mens college sailing in the US, only co-ed and womens. 

I think there is more at play here than just the money.   Tulane just went from club to Varsity.  All it took was a nice gift to create an endowement to fund the full time coach and operating expenses of the team.  My first hand knowledge (my wife and I made the gift)  is it was a chunk of money but nothing Stanford sailing alum and current team parents could not come up with if they they wanted to keep the sport Varsity and the school was willing.  Also as long as you have money being club is not terrible, there are pluses and minuses for club or varsity status.    But sailing does help the numbers with respect to Title IX when the school also has a football team since the women on the sailing team can be counted twice, coed and womens. 

• Like 1

From the FAQs:

6. If donors step forward, can any of these sports retain their varsity status?

The decisions to reduce our sports offerings are final, and any future philanthropic interest in these sports may be directed towards supporting them at the club level, should they establish as a club sport after their 2020-21 varsity campaign.

While Stanford Athletics has many tremendously generous donors, their support simply could not cover the escalating costs of ensuring excellence across the board in our 36-sport model.

1 hour ago, SF Woody Sailor said:

From the FAQs:

6. If donors step forward, can any of these sports retain their varsity status?

The decisions to reduce our sports offerings are final, and any future philanthropic interest in these sports may be directed towards supporting them at the club level, should they establish as a club sport after their 2020-21 varsity campaign.

While Stanford Athletics has many tremendously generous donors, their support simply could not cover the escalating costs of ensuring excellence across the board in our 36-sport model.

Exactly.  So it was not about the money.  For some reason they just felt they had too many varsity sports and wanted to change direction of their athletic program.  

It’s clear from the Stanford Sailing site that travel is a big part of how they sail.

My guess is that Stanford recognizes that 5 years is an optimistic timeline for a vaccine, and the US response to C19 is dangerously incompetent. Cancelling sports that require air travel is a strong signal to international parents that their kids aren’t being sent to an early grave. It is also the right thing to do.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 11:25 AM, apophenia said:

It’s clear from the Stanford Sailing site that travel is a big part of how they sail.

My guess is that Stanford recognizes that 5 years is an optimistic timeline for a vaccine, and the US response to C19 is dangerously incompetent. Cancelling sports that require air travel is a strong signal to international parents that their kids aren’t being sent to an early grave. It is also the right thing to do.

That makes absolutely no sense at all.