Editor

yellow fever

taxi-dancer-11.jpg

This is not a good look for the much modded R/P 69' sled Taxi Dancer in Santa Barbara today. Not sure how it's still standing up and no idea what happened, but here's the close up. Anybody got the deets?

It's cool that they are experimenting with a canting mast. Has anyone else had good luck with that mod?

• Like 2

wild oats certainly didn't....

• Like 1

There's a big bridge they just don't quite get under and......................................................

Big guess from far away:

Fatigue standing rigging failure driven by harmonics?

Saw similar on a boat with composite rigging in Melbourne.

Rigging was not designed for a code-zero?

2 hours ago, Frogman56 said:

Big guess from far away:

Fatigue standing rigging failure driven by harmonics?

Saw similar on a boat with composite rigging in Melbourne.

If the rigging failed it would have parted and the mast would have come down. Looks like a mast compression failure and looks like the rigging actually saved it a la Wild Oats.

could not take the pressure to stand up in the real world, base support failing,  support on the left taking a strong stand. slant to the far right now not it's only option, the whole shows falling down...Far right leaning problem, strong support on the left thats a mega problem there.

1 hour ago, DamnSkippy said:

shiiieat!  nice timing for filming tho. 

That’s going to be expensive.I hope they buy him dinner before they screw him on a new rig.

So one hears that the mainsail winch was still connected to the pedestals when they tacked...

It doesn’t look in the video like the boat was coming out of a tack

someone stood on the hydraulic winch button?

I remember one of the biggest stressors on the STP 65 as a trimmer was making sure you turned the hydraulics off.  You leave one valve on tack or trim or whatever and shit is blowing up.  Bummer I have always loved that boat.  I worked at Esprit with Brad and Rick as a kid when that boat was built.

It was the damn jet skier that did it using quantum entanglement and spooky popcorn. Skeedaddled from the scene immediately after doing the dastardly deed.

• Like 2

I observed this from the rail of another boat not far behind.

I noticed when TD tacked onto port, they seemed to have difficulty trimming the jib.  It took much longer than usual for them to pull it in.  You will notice, if you look carefully at the video, the headsail is still luffing before the mast break.

Taxi has always been tough on rigs. She lost one coming home from Hawaii and I was aboard in SF when we busted one coming out of a tack. 

We lost Taxi's rig during Long Beach Race Week in the 90s. I was trimming jib out of a tack and checking the jib luff from the deck up when the mast head suddenly came into my view. A weird site that took me a second to comprehend. It was all strangely quiet compared to another dismasting I'd experienced. Occurred due to improper runner trim.

I know Jimmy from way back in the 70's, We raced against each other when Jimmy and Ricky sailed with Kevin Connley on their SC27 and O30. Great rivalry between Kevin's and Gary's sail loft teams. I Went out a few times on the Taxi in SB before my injury.

Jimmy will be fine, I'm sure his is a bit miffed but glad no one got hurt. 

They have done so many refits on the TD, one has to wonder if something new failed.

3 hours ago, Editor said:

So one hears that the mainsail winch was still connected to the pedestals when they tacked...

Heard the same. New mast in the last year or two. Shame.

Busted by the gooseneck.

8F6E3AEF-BC91-4AF7-A6EF-BB4153D4FC09.jpeg

Saved the displays

A regular older Max ride is not worth the price of a stick

TD is Far from that category 

Lucky in this case that the stick stayed in 1 piece 

Can't wait to see her sailing again !!

3 hours ago, Editor said:

Seriously?

A rig worth 6 figures can't withstand a fucked up tack?

apparently not .

20 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Seriously?

A rig worth 6 figures can't withstand a fucked up tack?

I heard the pedestals were connected to both the jib and main at the same time. They were bringing in the jib without realizing they were cranking the crap out of the main.

If over-tightening the main snapped the rig by the gooseneck, then that's one hell of a strong sail and/or a weak rig.

Bummer.  Always really sucks when one comes down and the reason is 'undetermined failure' - which I've had told to me before.

"Gee thanks,  let me just shovel some more dough into the furnace."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Great Red Shark said:

"Gee thanks,  let me just shovel some more dough into the furnace."

hole in the water , fill it up with money ...

I wonder if they can cut it clean and sleeve a bottom section.
I've never worked with a carbon stick but Aluminum maybe??

taxi-dancer-22.jpg

Is that mast material tapering from the gooseneck area downwards? If so kind looks like the fracture runs vertical with the mast on the stud side. If so its likely compression. (cracks propagate perpendicular to forces that create them) Stbd side failed in compression (she was on port tack). port side failed canting the stick causing a tension fracture on the side we can see?

Cashelmore said he heard the pedestals were driving both the main and jib at the same time.  This may be consistent with my observation that they were slow to trim the jib.

I don't know much about pedestal winching systems.  Nevertheless, it seems to me there would be a mechanical lockout in the transmission to prevent driving more than one circuit simultaneously.

Ironically, as I was  sitting on the rail, watching Taxi Dancer before her last tack, I was reflecting on the thought that there's probably not a single line on that boat that can be trimmed with unaided human strength.

Is the boom still attached to the rig above the break? If so that's a wicked strong vang assembly.

21 minutes ago, mpa said:

Cashelmore said he heard the pedestals were driving both the main and jib at the same time.  This may be consistent with my observation that they were slow to trim the jib.

I don't know much about pedestal winching systems.  Nevertheless, it seems to me there would be a mechanical lockout in the transmission to prevent driving more than one circuit simultaneously.

Ironically, as I was  sitting on the rail, watching Taxi Dancer before her last tack, I was reflecting on the thought that there's probably not a single line on that boat that can be trimmed with unaided human strength.

No no they don't have a lock out.  I think it was Cabron that almost broken the boom putting up the main because the main winch was engaged instead they broke the boom vang.

3 hours ago, A3A said:

Taxi has always been tough on rigs. She lost one coming home from Hawaii and I was aboard in SF when we busted one coming out of a tack. 

True 'dat!  When Taxi Dancer was fresh out of the shed and in her slip in Alamitos Bay her rig came down in the night,  calm weather.  Other goofy thing was she was (is?) outfitted with titanium stanchions  which some competitors viewed as illegal use of an exotic material but were rebuffed by the statement "Hey, stanchions are not part of the rig!"

Upper section at the break dropped down into the lower remaining section, that is some luck as it could have gone way south and flying broken carbon can really do some damage to people on the rail. They're lucky it also didn't go overboard that close to the breakwater and made the boat unable to control.

Wednesday night racing...

A beer in one hand, mainsheet in the other.

Hey, where's my beer?

What's that noise?

Ohhhh, s**t.

8 hours ago, axolotl said:

True 'dat!  When Taxi Dancer was fresh out of the shed and in her slip in Alamitos Bay her rig came down in the night,  calm weather.  Other goofy thing was she was (is?) outfitted with titanium stanchions  which some competitors viewed as illegal use of an exotic material but were rebuffed by the statement "Hey, stanchions are not part of the rig!"

Ha, worked at Ian Terry Engineering when we made them......used offcuts from nuclear power station cooling tubes....much cheaper than buying new titanium grade 2 tubes.....

• Like 1

What's the rig count for Taxi Dancer now?

4 hours ago, Ned said:

What's the rig count for Taxi Dancer now?

At least 5 have been mentioned in this thread so far. 6 if the current rig is toast.

23 hours ago, Mudsailor said:

Ha, worked at Ian Terry Engineering when we made them......used offcuts from nuclear power station cooling tubes....much cheaper than buying new titanium grade 2 tubes.....

Sad we lost Ian Terry, way back in 89 I think.  Motorcycle wreck just outside Lymington.  Great bloke.  I still have one of his blue coffee mugs.

I do remember buying a Geiger counter from a surplus store and scanning some of his ridiculously cheap used Ti stock.  Most was OK, but some was pretty hot, so we "disposed" of it late one night.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Even if the main winch is spinning, you’d still need a clueless tailor

Who wants poorly fitted foulies though?

20 hours ago, Cashelmore said:

At least 5 have been mentioned in this thread so far. 6 if the current rig is toast.

I thought it was five by the mid 90's.  

Anyone know if they’re going to repair the stick or if they have to get a new one?

Looks like Jimmy is selling the power boat and slip too. TD breaking the bank? Going to get something smaller?

24 minutes ago, Cashelmore said:

Anyone know if they’re going to repair the stick or if they have to get a new one?

Looks like Jimmy is selling the power boat and slip too. TD breaking the bank? Going to get something smaller?

Makes tons of sense.

On 7/11/2020 at 12:12 AM, P_Wop said:

Most was OK, but some was pretty hot, so we "disposed" of it late one night.

Outside the environment?

7 minutes ago, Bump-n-Grind said:
On 7/11/2020 at 12:12 AM, P_Wop said:

Most was OK, but some was pretty hot, so we "disposed" of it late one night.

Outside the environment?

Thisse macke me laffe.......              P_Wop gettes the 'passe'                                       :)