Ain't that the boat with the dude and the Filipino wife who was going to sail it, I dunno, 10 years ago, to the Philippines? She was crying as he left(solo), and he made it as far as Santa Cruz?

It does look like Tin Can, but with some mods to the main hull. If that is it, it was originally a wild idea by David Vann to sail non stop around the world. And yes, the welds started failing immediately and he quit at Santa Cruz. The location seems right, I saw it on the hard at Napa River Marina in 2010.

• Like 1

Man.

I wish I were a millennial.

I’d be all over this for the first 100 miles

A4875F54-7BE2-4B6E-AE4C-EA9471379AEC.jpeg

• Like 2

I'd do the Napa to the City Front leg....

I'd do the first two miles. It might make it that far.

"unsinkable"

yeah its it made out of metal,  it can sink...

No way I would do it at my age.Now if I were 24 again maybe.

Where's the undercover Napa reporter @bhyde?

16 hours ago, Great White said:

It does look like Tin Can, but with some mods to the main hull. If that is it, it was originally a wild idea by David Vann to sail non stop around the world. And yes, the welds started failing immediately and he quit at Santa Cruz. The location seems right, I saw it on the hard at Napa River Marina in 2010.

I wonder if the added blisters to the main hull are the parts "filled with foam".

The cross beams look as dodgy as they did last time around.

53 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Where's the undercover Napa reporter @bhyde?

Funny you should mention this. I was driving home two weeks ago and had to wait as the Mare Island draw bridge was lifting to let a boat through. And guess what boat it was? Yep, The Can! Heading south past Vallejo for the Carquinez Straights. There were two people on the boat, a man and a woman. The boat, if we are calling it that, has most definately been modified and I'm sure it's completely safe this time. Looks like a new cockpit layout (with Bimini and/or hard dodger) and the main hull has been widened. Lacking a current tetanus shot, I really didn't feel like getting any closer.

I figured it was heading for the bay, and certain destruction, but the photo in the crew ad is actually the Antioch Marina Fuel dock. 

88770b10f43bb6a5c281b346f05804e042ffba7d

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Antioch+Marina+Harbor/@38.02008,-121.820199,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xa9201b0713ae0c9c!8m2!3d38.02008!4d-121.820199?hl=en

I'll call the harbor master and see if it is still there.

• Like 1

Crap. The harbor master office closed due to Covid-19. Don't they know it's a hoax?

1 hour ago, RogerWilco said:

Those welds look like they were done by an 8th grade metal shop class. 

Having had the personal pleasure of seeing this bad boy up close, I can assure you, the welds aren't that good. What's really cool about the boat is it's complete lack of rocker in the main hull or amas. Handling and pitching moment in any kind of sea must be mildly amusing if not utterly terrifying.

3 hours ago, zenmasterfred said:

Looks like the bow fell off and got pasted back on,  What could possibly go wrong??

Nothing says "No expense spared in preparing for a safe ocean voyage" like a blue polytarp mainsail cover.

• Like 1

I'd look at it, then go to SFO and board a PAL flight to Manila.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bhyde said:

. What's really cool about the boat is it's complete lack of rocker in the main hull or amas.

The straightest 2x4 in Home Depot has more rocker

• Like 2

Couldn't find anyone at Antioch Marina to verify the current location of the Turbo Tin Can. I sent David Vann an e-mail and asked him if he had sold the boat or if he was going to give it another shot. He had the boat up for sale a couple of years ago, so I called him up at the time and asked what the deal was. He didn't seem overly eager to head back out and die, so maybe this is someone else with a really strong desire to drown. I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around an experienced offshore sailor wanting to use this boat for anything other than an artificial reef, and leaving for Hawaii from SF in July sounds particularly questionable considering the "washing machine" is set to heavily soiled pants mode right now, but what the fuck do I know.

Once we figure out the location of the boat, I'll try to head over and get some pics and maybe a personal tour from the future u-boat captain. 

BTW: Has anyone seen HotRod lately?

6 hours ago, RogerWilco said:

Those welds look like they were done by an 8th grade metal shop class. 

When was that, the 80's?

The good 'ol days... blue collar training in schools!

Not so much now!

• Like 1

This is an enticing opportunity, but I'd feel bad if I knew that I was taking a seat away from someone who actually wanted to set foot on that abomination.

On 7/10/2020 at 7:09 PM, Liquid said:

When was that, the 80's?

Not so much now!

Our local high school still has a manufacturing technology class that teaches 9th graders to weld.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:09 PM, Liquid said:

When was that, the 80's?

Not so much now!

Is that not a thing anymore? I was terrified of most of the machines in wood shop, doubly terrified of welding, but in retrospect I wish they offered more of that stuff! Far more useful in real life than I realized back then. 

....also apparently useful for building weird trimarans. 

So, what would this tri do in a seaway? I imagine a cartwheel and the rest really does not matter.

Sail Safe!

I have been at Napa Valley Marina a few times this year, as late a two months ago... she was on dry stands every time I went. Years of storage fees probably exceed her recycle/redemption value. :p FWIW, she's still visible on Google Earth satellite view, as well, but I trust the fella above that said she had been splashed.

Ok, I'm ready for the next tincan/thousand days/Remus dramedy, getting my favorite chair sorted, picking out the popcorn and adult beverage selection, can't wait...so I dare to click the link...this "vessel" is fitted out with a 50 HP Yamaha outboard, dive compressor and closed cell foam so it's unsinkable,  ya!

What.

The.

Fuck?

00y0y_3gf5Ho9EvAH_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/napa-50-ft-aluminum-hull-huge-cabins/7160139588.html

If I'm reading this right, the Tin Can's center hull has been converted into some sort of Condomaran at the Napa Marina. The amas are on the Tin Can II running around somewhere in the SF Bay or Delta. What the fuck are these people doing?

16 minutes ago, bhyde said:

What.

The.

Fuck?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/napa-50-ft-aluminum-hull-huge-cabins/7160139588.html

If I'm reading this right, the Tin Can's center hull has been converted into some sort of Condomaran at the Napa Marina. The amas are on the Tin Can II running around somewhere in the SF Bay or Delta. What the fuck are these people doing?

Bizarro land

7 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Bizarro land

I'm pretty sure it's not going to float on its waterline. The main hull was already pretty sinky with just the "normal" configuration. Start adding a 65" TV and couple of Laz-e-Boys, and this thing is going to sit with the waterline about halfway up the back porch. There must be something in the water in Napa. Probably Merlot. Jesus.

1 hour ago, bhyde said:

I'm pretty sure it's not going to float on its waterline. The main hull was already pretty sinky with just the "normal" configuration. Start adding a 65" TV and couple of Laz-e-Boys, and this thing is going to sit with the waterline about halfway up the back porch. There must be something in the water in Napa. Probably Merlot. Jesus.

Well, it's shallow up there, just weld on the jack stands!

On 7/16/2020 at 2:35 PM, some dude said:

Does it still feature a foredeck hatch below the waterline?

Oh, you mean the Underwater Viewing Port™?

Fuck I love this place!

You guys already missed the boat this time.
Vessel already set sail for Hawaii with three souls onboard, made it most of the way, had structural problems and called for rescue.
All three were taken off the vessel and it was left adrift.
There was even a tracker for the voyage. Don't know where and will not be looking.

Coast Guard, good Samaritans rescue three mariners from sailboat in Pacific

U.S. Coast Guard sent this bulletin at 07/10/2020 02:55 AM EDT
News Release  

U.S. Coast Guard 14th District Hawaii and the Pacific
Office: (808) 535-3230
After Hours: HawaiiPacific@uscg.mil
14th District online newsroom

Coast Guard, good Samaritans rescue three mariners from sailboat in Pacific

HC-130 

Editors' Note: Stock image

HONOLULU — The Coast Guard and crew of the merchant vessel Mahi Mahi rescued three mariners from the disabled 50-foot trimaran Third Try 825 miles northeast of Oahu, Wednesday.

The crew of the Mahi Mahi brought the mariners back to Honolulu Thursday afternoon. There are no reports of injuries. A hazard to navigation notice to mariners has been issued regarding the derelict trimaran.

“One of our greatest challenges out here in the Pacific is distance,” said Lt. Diane French, a Joint Rescue Coordination Center (JRCC) command duty officer. “First responders are often days away and we regularly rely on merchant vessel crews like the Mahi Mahi’s to assist with search and rescue cases. We are always grateful for their help.”

At 8 a.m., Tuesday, JRCC watchstanders received a report from a friend of the trimaran’s master stating the vessel had not made contact since Monday. The three mariners aboard were attempting a non-stop circumnavigation of the globe and their last known position was between California and Hawaii.

JRCC watchstanders issued a SAFETYNET broadcast notifying merchant vessels in the region of the situation and spoke with the Third Try’s captain’s friend and family to ascertain the vessel’s intended route.

Watchstanders also reached out to Automated Mutual-Assistance Vessel Rescue System (AMVER) ships in the area for assistance and the crew of the nearby Matson vessel Mahi Mahi agreed to divert and travel along the Third Try’s suspected route.

At 3:01 p.m., Tuesday, JRCC Watchstanders received an alert from an Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) registered to the Third Try. Watchstanders updated the SAFETYNET broadcast with the new location and launched an Air Station Barbers Point HC-130 Hercules aircrew with a life raft aboard in response. They also notified the Mahi Mahi crew of the new location.

The Hercules aircrew arrived on scene and located the adrift Third Try. The aircrew reported the vessel had structural damage and had lost its rudder. The mariners were requesting to be removed from the vessel.

At 3:33 a.m., Wednesday, the Mahi Mahi crew arrived on scene and successfully evacuated the three mariners from the Third Try.

AMVER is a worldwide voluntary reporting system sponsored by the United States Coast Guard. It is a computer-based global ship-reporting system used worldwide by search and rescue authorities to arrange for assistance to persons in distress at sea. With AMVER, rescue coordinators can identify participating ships in the area of those in distress and divert the best-suited ship or ships to respond. Engaging in AMVER does not put ships under any additional obligation to assist in search and rescue efforts, beyond that which is required under international law.

-USCG-

5 hours ago, BlondeWithFreeBoat said:

Seems the third try is not the charm!

Depends on what happened on # 1 and 2...

7 hours ago, AnotherSailor said:

Anyone interested in buying "it":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-ft-aluminum-sailing-trimaran/154040032922?hash=item23dd805e9a:g:I2oAAOSwt5hfMGjU

So, they made it to Hawaii (towed it in after the rescue?). It has cracked beams and no rudder... oh and a king size bed. priorities!

Favorite line from the description: " US built with Coastwise endorsement on USCG documentation, so it's legal to use for charters. "

I consider myself a fairly experienced, even jaded person, but the combination of self-regard and self-delusion some 'boat dreamers' manifest is just absolutely breath-taking.

Looks like they have some bidders. Let's see how high this goes.

I would like to find out how they recovered the boat.

18 hours ago, Godzilla said:

Looks like they have some bidders. Let's see how high this goes.

I would like to find out how they recovered the boat.

On the recovery: perhaps the line "still works as a motorboat at 9 knots" is a clue? But shit yeah, would love to hear that story!

The aluminum alone most be worth a bit (but I have no decent guestimate). It has a good outboard it seems. There is the watermaker and a dive compressor mentioned.  Some anchors. In terms of other hardware etc, not sure, but if you are in the salvage business this could be attractive? Reserve price is 36 K

Oh, interesting fact: the name of the Ebay seller is David. 

Outboard alone is almost worth the current bid price but I don't know if there is much demand for a 50 hp Hi Thrust, so  I doubt it is has much resale value on the open market.  But other than that, yeah there is stuff of value, but unlikely there is an individual wanting to buy all the stuff for their own use.  Anyone wanting to buy the entire lot of stuff is only going to do it at a large discount, then break it up and sell the parts piecemeal.

Very little (if any) value in scrap Aluminum out in HI - expensive to ship it to smelter.

• Like 1

300 parachute hurricane drogue

They seriously thought there was a possibility they could survive a hurricane on that?

On 7/16/2020 at 1:17 AM, bhyde said:

What.

The.

Fuck?

Can someone reach out to Hotrod V2 and get some details about how/why?

8 hours ago, DrWatson said:

Is this a general "wtf is that" thread?

IMG_6884.thumb.jpg.04ce19487468afbedcddd580c3cd94f9.jpg

IMG_6883.thumb.jpg.7f024f91ff14956b34931ab15575e59f.jpg

No, this is a thread dedicated to the tin can's lives. There are already too many, way too many WTF's, so please don't make it even worse.

On 8/11/2020 at 11:39 AM, AnotherSailor said:

On the recovery: perhaps the line "still works as a motorboat at 9 knots" is a clue? But shit yeah, would love to hear that story!

The aluminum alone most be worth a bit (but I have no decent guestimate). It has a good outboard it seems. There is the watermaker and a dive compressor mentioned.  Some anchors. In terms of other hardware etc, not sure, but if you are in the salvage business this could be attractive? Reserve price is 36 K

Oh, interesting fact: the name of the Ebay seller is David. 

It's gotta be the same guy.

If it is David Vann he will write about it. He has a lot of crazy ideas, but will also somehow try to turn these misadventures into somewhat digestible reading material. 

However, he is also working on an academic career. He can have some craziness in his life but not too much to mess up his cv, so unless the pandemic really got to him I have doubts that he would do this.