Monkey

2020 Hook Race

Since it kind of took over for the Chicago Mac, I figured it needed its own thread. Anyone not dead and still racing?

• Like 1

JoeO will be here soon with a severe admonishment for all of us racing The Hook.

Anyone seen the early forecast for next weekend?  

4 hours ago, Sneaky Sanchez said:

Paging JoeO, the resident Covid fear monger!

Yeah, yeah. We’re still going. However, we’re avoiding as much time as possible in Racine, and plan to cross the finish line and carry on the 20 some miles to Sturgeon Bay to avoid the crowd at the finish. 

4 minutes ago, dcbsheb said:

JoeO will be here soon with a severe admonishment for all of us racing The Hook.

Anyone seen the early forecast for next weekend?  

3D384382-B606-4980-8386-E5C63BE57014.jpeg

Saturday and Sunday in GB there calling for 92 and 93...see if that holds together or not but looks like southerly blow to bring it here for the weekend...could be a fast one

4 minutes ago, CPJIII said:

Saturday and Sunday in GB there calling for 92 and 93...see if that holds together or not but looks like southerly blow to bring it here for the weekend...could be a fast one

I’d love it if the forecast holds. Fun for us, but it’d also be fun to see Peerless unleash the hounds on a downhill sprint!

5 hours ago, Sneaky Sanchez said:

You're a little late to the party Sneak:

7 hours ago, Sneaky Sanchez said:

I’m guessing you believe Trump is doing a great job on the C19 hoax and Dr Fauci is selling us a load of bollocks.

Fingers crossed then that no one gets it because most of you won’t  be arsed to wear a mask and keep 6’ apart for 24hrs...

have fun...sail safe...

• Downvote 1

I read that thread, but knew it was only a matter of time before you were going to give your opinion here.

Besides a few dedicated volunteers, MMYC brings nothing to the table for this race. Never has. Split the cost of the tent? Big whoop. On a "normal" year, RYC brings their own party favors, catering, finishing mark, RC boat and staff, entertainment, and all those boats to participate in the dwindling 100 Miler. Providing a clubhouse and splitting the cost of a tent hardly give them a say in the organization of a race of the caliber that RYC consistently puts on. RYC hits it out of the park on the regular. I'd rather do a Hook over a Mac any year. I was completely disappointed in the Mac last year. There was literally nothing happening at CYC on Friday before the race...

Menominee marina has 270 slips. About half of those slips are rented by locals. Is it ok for people to come from all over the state of Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Upper Michigan as long as they pay for seasonal dockage? What about all those FIBs (that's you) from Door Country that come over every weekend to drink and dine in our establishments? That's cool? 

I find it comical that all you Fauchi wannabes have an opinion when it comes to a regatta finishing in a town that you drive thru on your way home from the island. If you think MMYC is run by sailors, I have bad news for you. They are more concerned with building wheelchair ramps, than building anything resembling a racing scene.

RYC is taking every precaution recommended by the CDC. If you're scared, please, by all means, stay in Chicago (armpit of lake Michigan) while we try to safely have a good time.

No, Sanchez, none of that stuff is cool. But just because other people are acting like assholes doesn't mean that you should be happy to act like an asshole too.

Fucking wheelchair ramps, what jerks!

20 hours ago, Sneaky Sanchez said:

I read that thread, but knew it was only a matter of time before you were going to give your opinion here.

Besides a few dedicated volunteers, MMYC brings nothing to the table for this race. Never has. Split the cost of the tent? Big whoop. On a "normal" year, RYC brings their own party favors, catering, finishing mark, RC boat and staff, entertainment, and all those boats to participate in the dwindling 100 Miler. Providing a clubhouse and splitting the cost of a tent hardly give them a say in the organization of a race of the caliber that RYC consistently puts on. RYC hits it out of the park on the regular. I'd rather do a Hook over a Mac any year. I was completely disappointed in the Mac last year. There was literally nothing happening at CYC on Friday before the race...

Menominee marina has 270 slips. About half of those slips are rented by locals. Is it ok for people to come from all over the state of Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, and Upper Michigan as long as they pay for seasonal dockage? What about all those FIBs (that's you) from Door Country that come over every weekend to drink and dine in our establishments? That's cool? 

I find it comical that all you Fauchi wannabes have an opinion when it comes to a regatta finishing in a town that you drive thru on your way home from the island. If you think MMYC is run by sailors, I have bad news for you. They are more concerned with building wheelchair ramps, than building anything resembling a racing scene.

RYC is taking every precaution recommended by the CDC. If you're scared, please, by all means, stay in Chicago (armpit of lake Michigan) while we try to safely have a good time.

That all seems a bit harsh. I have zero issues with MMYC wanting out this year. 

Saturday looks like a nice SW blow...calling for 10 to 20 with up to 25 in the north land.  Supposed also feel like a 100 on Saturday so going to be hot, little cooler on Sunday but not much...

Todays local GB news had a story on Menominee/Marinette and face coverings...MI requires them (where the finish is), go across the bridge to Wisconsin they don't.  Local Sheriff (Michigan) said they will not arrest anyone not obeying the rules but if needed they can ticket people for trespass if they wont wear mask and wont leave someone's business...

He said he does not want any repeats of the knife guy in his area https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/michigan-man-refused-service-not-wearing-mask-stabs-customer-fatally-n1233810

Be safe on the water and also the streets...

On 7/13/2020 at 11:04 PM, Sneaky Sanchez said:

You’ve got the wrong guy, I’ve never driven by MMYC on the way back from the Mac and it’s been years since I’ve been in Door County..As for being a Fauchi (Fauci)Wannabe, I would obviously listen to a respected scientist than trump or you. I don’t live in Chicago or Illinois, and although I turned down a place on a boat doing the Hook, I’m not scared, I just believe in being responsible for the safety of my family and friends...

That being said..have fun and sail safe..

3 hours ago, ro! said:

You’ve got the wrong guy, I’ve never driven by MMYC on the way back from the Mac and it’s been years since I’ve been in Door County..As for being a Fauchi (Fauci)Wannabe, I would obviously listen to a respected scientist than trump or you. I don’t live in Chicago or Illinois, and although I turned down a place on a boat doing the Hook, I’m not scared, I just believe in being responsible for the safety of my family and friends...

That being said..have fun and sail safe..

It was aimed at JoeO. Sorry for the lack of clarity.

My ride’s enjoying perfect delivery weather on the way to Racine while I was stuck at work. Looking forward to Saturday!

9311B117-54CE-4B8B-8AFF-FD9141CD79C5.jpeg

Routing right now has Peerless at Death’s Door in 11-12 hours.  

SEND IT!

It looks like it will be a fun ride north...see what happens when they turn the corner as those short chop waves on the bay should be built up by then...either way it will be a fast race with some possible storms blowing thru Saturday night or early Sunday...Stay safe.

Looks like this would have been a great year for a fast MAC race...

1 hour ago, dcbsheb said:

SEND IT!

But where’s it put Runaway?

4 hours ago, dcbsheb said:

SEND IT!

This was 2016 Chi Mac in the forecasted conditions. Take some Motrin and enjoy!

FB_IMG_1471703905350.jpg

FB_IMG_1471703921268.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TripleZeros said:

This was 2016 Chi Mac in the forecasted conditions. Take some Motrin and enjoy!

FB_IMG_1471703905350.jpg

FB_IMG_1471703921268.jpg

Sweet!

Bit of a storm cell about to roll through the greater Milwaukee area.  Not very big but could be intense 

If Kattack is accurate, approximately 15 boats have dropped out of the race.  Couple are no longer showing up on the race tracker.  No idea what happened to them.

This is from a Facebook posting:

“There was 50 Kts of wind and 8 foot waves out there. We were making 14 kts on a reefed main. It was violent and I went to Port Washington before someone got killed.“

14 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

If Kattack is accurate, approximately 15 boats have dropped out of the race.  Couple are no longer showing up on the race tracker.  No idea what happened to them.

This is from a Facebook posting:

“There was 50 Kts of wind and 8 foot waves out there. We were making 14 kts on a reefed main. It was violent and I went to Port Washington before someone got killed.“

Have to wonder if Kattack is accurate, or if I am seeing things right.   My screen shows about 21 boats still in the race.  

All the rest are either mark DNF or huddling around Racine.  

Screen shot at 20:15.  Five boats north of Gauntlet.  Peerless and Rocketman are still racing with Whitecap and Painkiller marked DNF and Warlock in Milwaukee and also marked DNF.

RYC at 20.15 Sat.JPG

26 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Screen shot at 20:15.  Five boats north of Gauntlet.  Peerless and Rocketman are still racing with Whitecap and Painkiller marked DNF and Warlock in Milwaukee and also marked DNF.

RYC at 20.15 Sat.JPG

Here is what I grt

image.png

4 minutes ago, Grinder said:

Warlock j111

717F707E-41FC-4591-AB8A-062BCACFDCD7.jpeg

That’s two at least. Gauntlet, a NM 52 custom apparently lost her rig.  Nasty storm

56 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

RYC at 20.15 Sat.JPG

Peerless is in Sheboygan. 

21 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

That’s two at least. Gauntlet, a NM 52 custom apparently lost her rig.  Nasty storm

Oops, Truant, not Gauntlet

So the tracker is apparently just an app on everybody's cell phone. So the realities of signal and batteries mean that it's going to be pretty shit a lot of the time.

10 minutes ago, fucket said:

So the tracker is apparently just an app on everybody's cell phone. So the realities of signal and batteries mean that it's going to be pretty shit a lot of the time.

Yup.  Out of range,dead battery, phone in a place where the signal win reach, etc.

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

Yup.  Out of range,dead battery, phone in a place where the signal win reach, etc.

also DTF appears to be as the crow flies... not the way sailboats typically go

8 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Kattack is fed by a Spot or an Inreach GPS tracker...

Issue can be older Spots require a reset every 24 hours and people forget to do that.

Sounds like it was brutal out there.

11 minutes ago, sidmon said:

Issue can be older Spots require a reset every 24 hours and people forget to do that.

Based on the info coming from RYC’s Facebook Hook page, at least 20 DNFs so far, 3 dismastings, untold blown up sails, etc.  
Madcap and Thunderstruck are within a few miles of finishing.

1 hour ago, sidmon said:

And a nice-sized thunder storm rolled over the northern part of the lake at 04:00 today.

Both yesterday’s storm and this morning’s were a little wild!  Yesterday we were doing 17+ under full main and 3 in 42 knots of breeze and BIG waves while shoveling water over the bow. We’ve got video of that wild ride, but still out on the lake with lousy reception right now. 

• Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 8:27 AM, Grinder said:

Vincitore is out. 

What happened?

They were out on the water before the race. We had an earlier start, so never saw if they started. 

22 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Oops, Truant, not Gauntlet

Gauntlet was taken out with a blown main.  The tall pointy thing is still standing strong.  Made for Port Washington to lick the wounds.  Very disappointing, especially as that was our good main just back from repairs.  Delivery guys have already left for Harbor Springs and the back-up main pulled from the trailer.  

Might be some new carbon crew bags for us next year...  The season of FUBAR continues...

• Like 2

At 21:00 CDT the Leaderboard lists 83 yachts,  31 have finished, 21 are still racing and 31 are DNF/DNS.

A 37.3% DNF/DNS rate tells you it was a rough time.  Hope the rest get in OK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Was a Farr 60

Hereinafter known as Thunderstruck

2 hours ago, JimBowie said:

Come on fellas.  We need video!  Carnage ain't carnage without video for the 10pm news!  If a mast fell in the middle Lake Michigan and there's no video did anyone hear it happen?

What’s the best way to post footage here?  Ours is carnage free, but an absolutely lit up J92 in the same storm that ate so many rigs. 

On a more serious note, hope the MOB from Smokin’ Joe is doing well. Each of us provided entertainment to the other with epic knockdowns, but we weren’t around for whatever went wrong. I’m assuming it was the nasty storm that hit Sunday morning. That thing was just mean!

2 hours ago, Morgan Crewed said:

At 21:00 CDT the Leaderboard lists 83 yachts,  31 have finished, 21 are still racing and 31 are DNF/DNS.

A 37.3% DNF/DNS rate tells you it was a rough time.  Hope the rest get in OK.

I don’t know how accurate the leaderboard is.  For example, “Hasten” finished more than 5 hours ago but the leaderboard shows it on the course with 0.6 miles to go.

1 hour ago, jerseyguy said:

I don’t know how accurate the leaderboard is.  For example, “Hasten” finished more than 5 hours ago but the leaderboard shows it on the course with 0.6 miles to go.

It was a cellphone based tracker. It was a mess. 

Here’s a couple short clips from the first storm that hit the fleet near Milwaukee. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jackolantern said:

Cool story, bro. Way to tempt fate. 

Did the race on T10 Winnebago with a crew of 5. We were far enough ahead (early start and we got away well) to be on the north side of Milwaukee when the first shit hit. We could see wipeouts and all manner of clusterfuckery behind us as storm decimated the fleet and then the wind came north to us. We were with another T10 and played a game of chicken with them as to who could leave the kite up longest. Hard to take it down, as we were flying (OK T10 flying) in the 30 knots and following seas. We blinked, and they dropped 2 minutes later. We beat our spin speed max under jib and main while the storm drove through. Bit of a lull in lumpy seas after the storm passed, good time to break out the grill for dinner. Pressure back on and we clicked off the miles under spin and a starry sky. Around Sheboygan the sky started to darken and we could see but not hear lightning everywhere. But we were flying so all good, press on. Then we could hear the lightning, and the rain started. Kept the kite up as long as it seems sane, and lucked out and dropped it just before the shit started to hit. Driving rain and 45 knots of wind, so manageable and still making good VMG. 45 minutes of this and a bit of a lull, so we put up the jib. On queue, it then gets absolutely atrocious, continuous lighting and 65 knots of building breeze. We tear down the jib and sail under full main in basically survival mode. Wind in every direction as the storm rotates above us. Finally it gets less crazy, and we can turn towards the Porte du Morte, about 30nm due north. Another lull at dawn, some rain, and life is feeling pretty shitty. But then it fills in from the west, and we close reach to the turning mark, a USCG buoy that wasn't fucking there. Through the Porte and it looks like a champagne sail into the M&M, but christ there is another T10 200 yards behind us, and we dual fangs out all the way to the finish. Funny but we ran into that J92 like 4 times on the course, and finished a minute or two behind them. Great times!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

Did the race on T10 Winnebago with a crew of 5. We were far enough ahead (early start and we got away well) to be on the north side of Milwaukee when the first shit hit. We could see wipeouts and all manner of clusterfuckery behind us as storm decimated the fleet and then the wind came north to us. We were with another T10 and played a game of chicken with them as to who could leave the kite up longest. Hard to take it down, as we were flying (OK T10 flying) in the 30 knots and following seas. We blinked, and they dropped 2 minutes later. We beat our spin speed max under jib and main while the storm drove through. Bit of a lull in lumpy seas after the storm passed, good time to break out the grill for dinner. Pressure back on and we clicked off the miles under spin and a starry sky. Around Sheboygan the sky started to darken and we could see but not hear lightning everywhere. But we were flying so all good, press on. Then we could hear the lightning, and the rain started. Kept the kite up as long as it seems sane, and lucked out and dropped it just before the shit started to hit. Driving rain and 45 knots of wind, so manageable and still making good VMG. 45 minutes of this and a bit of a lull, so we put up the jib. On queue, it then gets absolutely atrocious, continuous lighting and 65 knots of building breeze. We tear down the jib and sail under full main in basically survival mode. Wind in every direction as the storm rotates above us. Finally it gets less crazy, and we can turn towards the Porte du Morte, about 30nm due north. Another lull at dawn, some rain, and life is feeling pretty shitty. But then it fills in from the west, and we close reach to the turning mark, a USCG buoy that wasn't fucking there. Through the Porte and it looks like a champagne sail into the M&M, but christ there is another T10 200 yards behind us, and we dual fangs out all the way to the finish. Funny but we ran into that J92 like 4 times on the course, and finished a minute or two behind them. Great times!

Speaking for that J92, the Winnebago was mentioned frequently, mostly in the fashion of “god dammit, there’s fucking Winnebago again!”  You guys had a great race. We were having fun watching the drag race between you and that other T10 to the finish. Apologies if we gave you shit air on a few occasions, we were trying our best to avoid that. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

Nice job Bernie!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

What does that J/92 rate to the T10? I didn't see a kite up in their videos, maybe that's why you stay with them since yours was flying. :lol:

4 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

What does that J/92 rate to the T10? I didn't see a kite up in their videos, maybe that's why you stay with them since yours was flying. :lol:

We owed them a lot of time. Most of the race was in conditions where the T10’s could rumble along at much deeper angles winning the VMG war. The kite came down right before those videos because God was helping take down the rest of them as we watched the front approach. As we were pulling ours into the hatch, we watched the J/111 right in front of us get swatted flat. 

16 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

LMPHRF says 111 for the J/92, 128 for the T-10

4 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

LMPHRF says 111 for the J/92, 128 for the T-10

We actually rated 108, and the T 10’s are 126. 

28 minutes ago, Monkey said:

We actually rated 108, and the T 10’s are 126. 

My error.  I read the base handicap number not the distance handicap.

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

Speaking for that J92, the Winnebago was mentioned frequently, mostly in the fashion of “god dammit, there’s fucking Winnebago again!”  You guys had a great race. We were having fun watching the drag race between you and that other T10 to the finish. Apologies if we gave you shit air on a few occasions, we were trying our best to avoid that. 

No worries; you were always clear and never messed with us. We held them off as long as we could; but in the heavy air that was blowing in the bays in the last 10 miles we could not sail in pure upwind mode without our blown-out jib shaking the boat apart. They tacked over to starboard later and were able to reach down on us when we needed to climb up to hold them off, but could not. Fun race.

3 hours ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

We were thinking the same thing.  :rolleyes:

We also reefed the main coming down the bay in 20+ knots.  What’s that say about us?  

5 hours ago, Jackdaw said:

No worries; you were always clear and never messed with us. We held them off as long as we could; but in the heavy air that was blowing in the bays in the last 10 miles we could not sail in pure upwind mode without our blown-out jib shaking the boat apart. They tacked over to starboard later and were able to reach down on us when we needed to climb up to hold them off, but could not. Fun race.

We wondered why we were able to work our way up to weather on you guys so quickly. Old jib would explain it. 
edit:  I’m assuming you guys don’t have a PHRF certificate?  You would’ve beaten us in the overall, but you guys apparently weren’t factored in. 

25 minutes ago, Monkey said:

We wondered why we were able to work our way up to weather on you guys so quickly. Old jib would explain it. 
edit:  I’m assuming you guys don’t have a PHRF certificate?  You would’ve beaten us in the overall, but you guys apparently weren’t factored in. 

For sure. But you guys looked great going by us!

Yep as a serious OD fleet on Lake Michigan, lots of the boats don't pay for a LMPHRF cert, and you have to have one to factor in the Hook 'overall'. But the posted overall corrected numbers (based on the LMPHRF standard T10 rating) show us as the 7th fastest overall, but only 4th in the Fleet. Clearly the T10 boats brought game.

18 minutes ago, Jackdaw said:

For sure. But you guys looked great going by us!

Yep as a serious OD fleet on Lake Michigan, lots of the boats don't pay for a LMPHRF cert, and you have to have one to factor in the Hook 'overall'. But the posted overall corrected numbers (based on the LMPHRF standard T10 rating) show us as the 7th fastest overall, but only 4th in the Fleet. Clearly the T10 boats brought game.

There’s a reason we were starting to really hate T10’s by the end of the race!

edit:  they were like the damned lake flies. All around us all the time, and every time we’d shake ‘em, we’d find ourselves surrounded again!

• Like 2

Don’t know if this has been reported, but a J/111 lost a crew member overboard.  Took about an hour to find her and get her back on board.   Took her to the hospital in Sturgeon Bay.  Mild hypothermia but otherwise ok. 

1 minute ago, jerseyguy said:

Don’t know if this has been reported, but a J/111 lost a crew member overboard.  Took about an hour to find her and get her back on board.   Took her to the hospital in Sturgeon Bay.  Mild hypothermia but otherwise ok. 

I mentioned it up thread. Smokin’ Joe misplaced a crew member. It was a brutal storm that hit. We were very happy to learn the Coast Guard picked up the MOB and all was well. 

1 minute ago, Monkey said:

I mentioned it up thread. Smokin’ Joe misplaced a crew member. It was a brutal storm that hit. We were very happy to learn the Coast Guard picked up the MOB and all was well. 

I’ve known the POB (person overboard) for 30 something years.  One of the best sailors I’ve ever known, irrespective of gender.

3 minutes ago, jerseyguy said:

I’ve known the POB (person overboard) for 30 something years.  One of the best sailors I’ve ever known, irrespective of gender.

Never cared about gender. MOB is just a well known term, and I refuse to confuse an important situation trying to be PC. So happy she was rescued. 

We actually had a serious discussion last night regarding Smokin’ Joe. The weather was getting so bad, so fast, we had to monitor the weather reports over the radio for our own safety. Unfortunately, that meant we weren’t on 16. We weren’t close enough to help, but would have felt miserable if we had been and didn’t. Our new policy is to turn on a handheld to 16 if we have to flip the main radio to weather. Just something worth everyone thinking about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkey said:

There’s a reason we were starting to really hate T10’s by the end of the race!

edit:  they were like the damned lake flies. All around us all the time, and every time we’d shake ‘em, we’d find ourselves surrounded again!

I sailed into the Manistee shore on a Sunday morning during a Mac race. I saw 20 T10's becalmed and gybed immediately. Its like they follow each other around like a flock of baby ducks swimming on a pond. One goes somewhere and they all followed.  

1 minute ago, dyslexic dog said:

I sailed into the Manistee shore on a Sunday morning during a Mac race. I saw 20 T10's becalmed and gybed immediately. Its like they follow each other around like a flock of baby ducks swimming on a pond. One goes somewhere and they all followed.  

They’re lake flies. They always show up and never go away!

13 hours ago, Monkey said:

From one of the crew: the MOB was picked up by the team and transferred to the CG. Held overnight for observation and released in the morning. At lunch drinking beer shortly after, all is well.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bad Andy said:

From one of the crew: the MOB was picked up by the team and transferred to the CG. Held overnight for observation and released in the morning. At lunch drinking beer shortly after, all is well.

Excellent news!  And nice job by everyone on Smokin’ Joe to get her back!  Those weren’t easy conditions to do that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monkey said:

Excellent news!  And nice job by everyone on Smokin’ Joe to get her back!  Those weren’t easy conditions to do that. 

I wasn't the one manning the radio but I heard lots of chatter from sailors offering to divert to help.  We were waved off as we were 10+ miles downwind but I know that at least one boat diverted for assistance (Flying Spaghetti Monster), probably more.  Fortunately the MOB was recovered before assistance was needed.

Anyone know if the HOOK requires all boats that DNF'd/withdrew (or MOB incident) to file reports with the RC, like CYC does for Chi-Mac?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

Which 111?

5 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Anyone know if the HOOK requires all boats that DNF'd/withdrew (or MOB incident) to file reports with the RC, like CYC does for Chi-Mac?

Don't think so, SI's just give a phone number as require boats to let the RC know where they're headed.

14 hours ago, jerseyguy said:

I'm sure she is but I always laugh when people say "One of the best sailors I’ve ever known", phrase that is thrown around a lot...

What does that really mean and how is it substantiated? 

1. Can they do all positions competently on the boat bow to stern?

2. Can they helm a variety of classes of boats from Lasers, Escows, to J/111?

3. Of boats helmed, did they place in top positions at national events?

I mean really, in the world of amateur sailing it's generally a silly statement with some rare exceptions.

6 minutes ago, Grinder said:

You are winning fans all over the Midwest. 

It's SA here, what's wrong with a little banter and some truths?!

Question still stands, unless you have implemented the "pleasantries only" rule. :lol:

The question also has nothing to do with the MOB incident, (I'm very relieved to hear all ended well), it is a separate topic in response to "one of the best sailor I've ever know"....  I'm unfamiliar with the phase so I was curious how those determinations are made.  

45 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

I'm sure she is but I always laugh when people say "One of the best sailors I’ve ever known", phrase that is thrown around a lot...

What does that really mean and how is it substantiated? 

1. Can they do all positions competently on the boat bow to stern?

2. Can they helm a variety of classes of boats from Lasers, Escows, to J/111?

3. Of boats helmed, did they place in top positions at national events?

I mean really, in the world of amateur sailing it's generally a silly statement with some rare exceptions.

If I say someone is one of the best sailors I know, that to me means they are in the top 5% of sailors I know, not that they are in the top 5% of sailors worldwide.

I know a lot of sailors, some are newbies, some are not very good sailors, some can sail very well on 3 person keelboats but have little to no experience on 40+ft offshore racers. Some of the best sailors I know have never won or placed at national events. The best sailors I know are not superstars, but they are competent amateur sailors, who I would trust in a variety of scary situations.

Its possible that you are one of the best sailors I know (I'm not sure as I have only narrowed you identity down to one of 2 or maybe 3 people and it was 19 years ago that we would have sailed together)

Not sure if the link will work or not because it’s to a Facebook video, but I’ll throw a little more cannon fodder out there. Same storm, me trying to kill myself in a jibe by being in the slightly wrong place.

20 minutes ago, JohnMB said:

If I say someone is one of the best sailors I know, that to me means they are in the top 5% of sailors I know, not that they are in the top 5% of sailors worldwide.

I know a lot of sailors, some are newbies, some are not very good sailors, some can sail very well on 3 person keelboats but have little to no experience on 40+ft offshore racers. Some of the best sailors I know have never won or placed at national events. The best sailors I know are not superstars, but they are competent amateur sailors, who I would trust in a variety of scary situations.

Its possible that you are one of the best sailors I know (I'm not sure as I have only narrowed you identity down to one of 2 or maybe 3 people and it was 19 years ago that we would have sailed together)

Interesting insight... 

I think that statement sums it up well, it's relative to the circles and fleets you run in...

For clarity, my original comment was in no way a moratorium on me! I don't claim to be a good sailor, don't pride myself in such titles, and don't even sail that often anymore. I know some of the best in the business but I'm even in the same league as their level of play. 

I overheard  the following at a rum party some years back and still laugh everything time I think about it.... "He's the best spinnaker guy trimmer in the fleet".  True story.

In generally, I leave it to the Red Hat's to make the anointments of the best in the fleet!