Sign in to follow this  
irlsailor

j 88

Hi

I am looking at possibly gettign a J88. i wonder if you guys have any experience on how they perform on IRC. They seem to give a lot of time to J 109's for example which we will be sailing against a lot. Do they plane really early in which case WL are favourable?

4 hours ago, irlsailor said:

Hi

I am looking at possibly gettign a J88. i wonder if you guys have any experience on how they perform on IRC. They seem to give a lot of time to J 109's for example which we will be sailing against a lot. Do they plane really early in which case WL are favourable?

On a plane they are fast and fun boats, but what wins races is mostly the best VMG.

Haha this topic has been beaten to death amongst the UK fleet. Talking with regards to a well sailed J88...

sub 10kts you can win races under IRC against similar rated boats such as J109s, Elan 37, 40.7 etc. 

with a crew of 7 you need around 18+it’s of breeze to remain competitive on a W/L course, dynamic steering needed to get the boat downwind fast. 

when it’s honking you can almost be guaranteed a race win but need to commit to using an A2 spinnaker and not change down. 

the 88 could be raced well with a crew of 6, I would be tempted to reduce the jib size slightly but keep mainsail and spinnaker size the same. A Code 0 would be a weapon of a sail for coastal races.

On Saturday just gone we raced in the 35 mile Nab Tower race from Cowes and sailing 2 handed we won IRC class 1 in the J88. In a class of 34 finishers including 2 JPK 1180s, a J121, a few 111s, XP44, Corby 35, Sunfast 3600s, Sunfast 3300s, J122s, Ker 39s, MAT 12, J99 and a Cape 31 as well as many others. It was a light start and quite tactical but for the first 1/3 of the race we were the leading boat on the water despite being the shortest and 3rd lowest rated. We had no Code 0 in the inventory, where many others in our class did, which would have helped on one of the legs. It was lights airs downwind followed by 12-18kts of beam reaching and a 12-18kt beat home in a chop

• Like 1

If your goal is to win major IRC events in the Solent, then there are boats that are competitive across a much wider range of conditions than the 88 for similar money.  

However if your goal is to own something that is a lot of fun when the wind is up and can win under IRC on its day, then the 88 would be a good option.  

thanks for replies folks- That's what I thought. also seem to be a few build issues on J88 which is surprising as usually j boats are pretty good. 

I am looking for something which is competitive in a broad range of conditions. my price point is up to 100k sterling. I am not really interested in J109's but wouldn'et mind hearing some alternatives?