Guvacine

Stick a fork in it

With the announcement of the Qantas shutdown, it is all over bar the shouting. The whole sad saga of the 36th Americas Cup and the floppy gekkos is over.

• Downvote 1

If you can't connect the dots then a diagram isn't going to work either.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Guvacine said:

With the announcement of the Qantas shutdown, it is all over bar the shouting. The whole sad saga of the 36th Americas Cup and the floppy gekkos is over.

That doesn’t even make sense. 

3 hours ago, Guvacine said:

Errr Qantas are an Australian airline, they fly/flew to numerous countries including New Zealand, the fact that their home country is suffering a surge in Cv-19 numbers which I'm pretty sure they'll nail down in due course has no real impact on the AC which is going to be held in New Zealand.

Other airlines can and do fly in and out of Auckland including Air New Zealand who strangely enough are from New Zealand. So why do you think Qantas's problems have any relavance to the AC, or is your knowledge of basic geography that shit that you think Australia and New Zealand are the same country?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Guvacine said:

No great hordes of free spending AC fans are coming to Auckland the three competing syndicates plus families and one nanny will fill one plane and quarantine on arrival so what the fuck does the demise of Qantas have to do with the price of fish.

1 hour ago, Woolfy said:

Other airlines can and do fly in and out of Auckland including Air New Zealand who strangely enough are from New Zealand.

Which always cracks me up in that the NZ effort couldn't even get its own airline to sponsor it. They had to "look to the East". And GD and boys weren't even allowed to put the words "New Zealand" anywhere on "their country's" boat. Just a little feather on the edge of a toilet swirl is the only thing they got. Rough. Although it's clear Ahmed has a sense of humor.

yysw266519.jpg

Hence: The Emiratis.

The Kiwis just drive the boat as hired hands - and keep the Ahmed Cup shiny for his rare visits.

For the posters here who are a little slow. The ending of all international flights for Qantas is an indicator of how the economies of Australia AND New Zealand have FURTHER slowed because of covid. ALL international flights (except for to and from lil' ol Nu Zild). No tourists, no stuff, no nothing. This also means nothing for sponsors, and so no AC. It was already clear that this was going to happen, the Qantas shutdown is just the sure sign that it is all over.

• Downvote 1

Lol... If the best shade you can throw at New Zealand is about an Australian airline. That is fantastic....hahaha you crack me up. Is that really the best you can do??

8A1299A1-3A5B-4E61-B03D-5506660D0F66.jpeg

• Like 3

I feel sorry for the Kiwis - they take it all so seriously. The Kiwi pics after SF were really sad. I hope they manage better this time.

Kiwis AC defeat.jpg

• Like 1

I guess it's because we are just so damn good at it 

9AF06748-02A6-4CFE-8D77-65A2D89E00E5.jpeg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Guvacine said:

ha ha ha... no foreign travelers are allowed into the country anyway. And that will stay until the situation stabilizes around the world, so why fly empty planes.

• Like 3

Qantas will cancel all international flights bar NZ until March 2021

All 200 planes will be made available for the America's  Cup !

:P

• Like 2

I'm guessing the money people in ALL of the teams are just trying to find a way out now - any way out. Once one team jumps, they all will. ETNZ will be last of course. Perhaps ETNZ can then do a solo demonstration series and show all of the things they learned from the gecko design experience?

• Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, Guvacine said:

I feel sorry for the Kiwis - they take it all so seriously. The Kiwi pics after SF were really sad. I hope they manage better this time.

Kiwis AC defeat.jpg

Heh. The Force is strong in this one.

Why would they get out?? It will be pretty much the only large international sporting event happening. The coverage for sponsorship will be huge. 
You really should think before opening your mouth

CB94CA22-BB06-4C42-9E4A-A5315AB52C7C.jpeg

Let's just pray Canada doesn't stop flights to the US. :lol:

They're the same country right?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Name another sporting event coming up that is going to have that exposure in the near future!

Do we know, for sure, what exactly that "exposure" will be outside of your 2 little rocks? Remember - Circle-O has been getting shafted on the money, which is growing scarcer by the day.

So, who is to say this won't end up being a single Youtube feed and highlights on at 6 am on BotswanaTV-9?

I don't think the word "exposure" means what you think it means.

18 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Afterall you would have nothing to bitch about.

Nah Guv and Smack are perennial moaners birds of a feather once a moaner always a moaner....

3 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

Which always cracks me up in that the NZ effort couldn't even get its own airline to sponsor it. They had to "look to the East". 

In what warped and twisted delusion does that differ from AM being sponsored by Airbus (rather than home grown Boeing) which is also from a country to your East?

Oh, that's right........ Absolutely NOTHING.

The more you post, the bigger Fuckwit you make yourself out to be. 

@Guvacine So an airline from a completely different sovereign country annouces that it will not fly internationally - and you declare the event dead........ 

Yet you fail to see that other sports - Bundasliga, EPL, Formula 1, Cricket, Rugby and many others are now continuing to compete without any crowds or with crowds that are a fraction of their "old normal" - there is this amazing technology called Television and many sports (particularly sailing) are actually better watched on Television from a spectator perspective, than from being there in person.

Don't become the next #Clown Pa.......

• Like 1

Got a chuckle from this one, but regarding geography …

4 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

They had to "look to the East".

West (of NZ). 

Oh, East is East, and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
When two strong men stand face to face,
            tho' they come from the ends of the earth!

Rudyard Kipling, The Ballad of East and West

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ivansh said:

Oh look, a whole lotta nothing. What is the point of these threads?

I just wanna see my friend and hero Dorin again. Goddangit :(

Well Bink, you have a point...I do see the 2 sponsor names just above (and below) the actual team/country name...

m1439_crop169014_1024x576_proportional_1

Yep - very clearly "AMERICAN".

So, show me again where "New Zealand" is spelled out on Ahmed's boat? Oh, that's right - it's nowhere to be found...unless it's on the bottom of the bustle.

See, here is the difference - and I'll try speak slowly so you can keep up...

AM hired Airbus in a partnership role - hence the naming rights.

Ahmed hired NZ in a subservient role - hence the naming rights.

PS - Oh, and sorry Rob - I forgot the region is called the "Middle West".

7 minutes ago, Dr. Spamdaddy, Ph.D. said:

Yep - very clearly "AMERICAN".

like small children and those on the spectrum, texans are excused by the rest of us for their stupidity.  Forgive him, for he knows not what he knows not.

main-qimg-c7b172484dffa44feb178d9b4e2dda

1 minute ago, Hawke said:

It is spelt out on the Yanks boat so they don't forget.  Plus New Zealanders can cope with acronyms with more than 3 letters e.g. USA vs ETNZ.

...and MIBE and ACE and DoC...

@smackdaddy

# Clown Pa, you also dilligently forget to mention that another sponsor of your "American" boat is Helly Hansen - a NORWEGIAN company.

But as that doesn't fit your current shit stirring narrative you conveniently omitted this detail.

We wont rehash the fact that Helm (and Skipper) is a Kiwi, ably assisted by a Brit and much of the design came from European sources.

Again too complex a concept for some who can only distinguish everything when it is Black and White only..........

Where does it say UNITED STATES OR USA on Amway Magic? It does say New York, lol. 

What the trolling Kiwis here don't get is that the impending and inevitable cancellation of this Cup will be a mercy. It will save the defenders from the unfortunate spectacle of the flopping geckos actually trying to compete around a course, and they will be able to look instead to the 37th Cup with some of their dignity intact.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Priscilla said:

No great hordes of free spending AC fans are coming to Auckland the three competing syndicates plus families and one nanny will fill one plane and quarantine on arrival so what the fuck does the demise of Qantas have to do with the price of fish.

Just a side note but weren't those " hordes of free spending AC fans " going to foot the bill for all  this and even perhaps provide a profit  ?

The ROI on this certainly has taken a hit . 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Guvacine said:

What the trolling Kiwis here don't get is that the impending and inevitable cancellation of this Cup will be a mercy. It will save the defenders from the unfortunate spectacle of the flopping geckos actually trying to compete around a course, and they will be able to look instead to the 37th Cup with some of their dignity intact.

Blah blah blah. Just another trolling hater that knows nothing about the AC lol

6 minutes ago, maxmini said:

Just a side note but weren't those " hordes of free spending AC fans " going to foot the bill for all  this and even perhaps provide a profit  ?

Last time I cast my eye around the planet plenty of things have taken a hit.

This “hit” thankfully is only loot not lives.

The AC36 will go ahead and I like most will watch it on tv these crazy new fangled flying machines captured at 50 knots by cutting edge enhanced broadcast coverage can’t wait bring it on.

The loot is spilt milk I have stopped crying maybe you should too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maxmini said:

So you’re going to blame the effects of Covid on ETNZ now? The world is in the position it is now because of the ineptitude of countries like the US and UK and it’s ineffective and useless leadership. NZ has not seen community transmission in 70 days. We have 2 new cases and both are in managed isolation. The US and UK have allowed their case numbers to spiral out of control. Now the idiot in the White House is telling schools in America that have chosen to go online that they should be open because he has saved thousands of lives.

False equivalence Foryourself. NZ is a small town with one bus stop - easy to stop people getting off the bus. Its a little bit harder in the rest of the world.

• Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Guvacine said:

False equivalence Foryourself. NZ is a small town with one bus stop - easy to stop people getting off the bus. Its a little bit harder in the rest of the world.

Sure our moat protects us from Covid19 to a larger degree but so does our cautionary practices that see the lack of community transmission.

Something in a pandemic riddled community with a calamitous rate of fatalities that produces images like this is seriously out of wack.

21977282-F569-447F-A974-ABF92F6E38CA.jpeg.f5ae5d21c0e695a455c95f9a8ae67e89.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Guvacine said:

I just love watching your brain trying to squeeze out something else to troll. You’re  like a science experiment :lol:

96A1C2B7-B2E6-4533-9FB5-4732600BFC5D.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Guvacine said:

Well we demolished both the Poms and the yanks the last time. Clearly we don’t need the bus stop. As long as we have the bike stands and an Xbox, we’re absolutely fine lol Now run along now kiddo, the adults are talking.

35 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

So you’re going to blame the effects of Covid on ETNZ now? The world is in the position it is now because of the ineptitude of countries like the US and UK and it’s ineffective and useless leadership. NZ has not seen community transmission in 70 days. We have 2 new cases and both are in managed isolation. The US and UK have allowed their case numbers to spiral out of control. Now the idiot in the White House is telling schools in America that have chosen to go online that they should be open because he has saved thousands of lives.

Where the hell did you see I blamed the results of the virus on ETNZ. What the fuck seriously ? All i said was that the ROI is not what was hoped for and you lose your fucking mind and go off on a rant . You guys are getting way too defensive, chill man there will always be another CUP. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Guvacine said:

Count your blessings that we Kiwis are not only the holders of the Cup but the Cup protectors as well.

Auckland come AC36 kickoff will be one of the safest places on earth all the infrastructure is complete and two of the three contenders are in town with bases built so we await the Handbags and game on.

Moaners like you and Smack won’t cross our borders so that should assist with the events positively relaxed ambiance.

3 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Yes an idiot statement.  However in a perverse way he is correct.  There is very little reason for not allowing schools to open.  By and large they are not the vulnerable part of the population.

No not correct or true.

True that Statistics suggest that the younger populations do not "suffer" from the effects so much, but there is still valid evidence that they can host and spread the virus - and bearing in mind that their hygiene practices can be left wanting, makes them very effective spreaders...... So they become vectors rather than patients. Asymptomatic transmission is the issue.

The vunerability is not so much with the students, but to the fully adult and even elderly teachers, support staff, their families and anyone who those freely associating students comes into contact with. They then bring that to their own parents and wider family, who in turn can pass it to others.

Allowing such a significant proportion of society to move freely and without consideration for others is where the transmission will become impossible to manage.

There does not seem to be any rational risk management, just a tug of war between doing the right thing and wanting to do 'business' as usual. Cannot have both. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Priscilla said:

Moaners like you and Smack won’t cross our borders so that should assist with the events positively relaxed ambiance.

I've already crossed your borders. Been to Auckland. Meh.

8 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

You just proved his point...Well done...Lol

1BB1879B-A16F-435B-B548-A05299328292.gif

45 minutes ago, maxmini said:

Where the hell did you see I blamed the results of the virus on ETNZ. What the fuck seriously ? All i said was that the ROI is not what was hoped for and you lose your fucking mind and go off on a rant . You guys are getting way too defensive, chill man there will always be another CUP. 

You imply that there is Some other, any other reason that fans wont attend the cup. No one can do anything about that. It is neither GD’s, ETNZ’s or anyone else’s fault that this Cup will Obviously Suffer the effects of Covid-19. It is what it is. Yes the ROI originally envisaged obviously won’t materialise. No one can do anything about it. Therefor it is a non issue.

1 hour ago, maxmini said:

Crikey a not for profit Cup cycle sacré bleu.

Aren't they all.

18 minutes ago, smackdaddy said:

Lol not surprised they gave you an exemption. You have a skillset that no Kiwi can fulfill, an uncharted level of pure and utter stupidity.

33 minutes ago, Forourselves said:

Lol not surprised they gave you an exemption.

I think you will find that fool was in Aotearoa many moons ago.

Post Covid border control criteria now includes an intelligence test which he would fail miserably and a blanket ban on moaners to protect the mental health and well being of the Team of 5 million that are the keepers of the Cup.

2 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

You never left the airport as you transited on your way to Australia. Be truthful Smack. As such you can only truly “meh” the airport lounge. I’ve “meh’d” almost every airport lounge ever. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Guvacine said:

2 hours ago, smackdaddy said:

And every New Zealander is grateful for your return to Retardistan...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woolfy said:

Errr Qantas are an Australian airline, they fly/flew to numerous countries including New Zealand, the fact that their home country is suffering a surge in Cv-19 numbers which I'm pretty sure they'll nail down in due course has no real impact on the AC which is going to be held in New Zealand.

Other airlines can and do fly in and out of Auckland including Air New Zealand who strangely enough are from New Zealand. So why do you think Qantas's problems have any relavance to the AC, or is your knowledge of basic geography that shit that you think Australia and New Zealand are the same country?

Prolly hasn't heard of Emirates Airlines either, Woolfy. Dumb fucker.

8 hours ago, uflux said:

Let's just pray Canada doesn't stop flights to the US. :lol:

They're the same country right?

thats mexico you're thinking of

8 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Auckland come AC36 kickoff will be one of the safest places on earth 

Not as safe as spectator-less soccer stadiums/a or F1 circuits. But somehow it’s not quite the real thing (no foreign visitors in AKL’s case, obviously)

10 hours ago, Hawke said:

Count the clinically obese as well.

gay dudes and chubby chicks.

15 hours ago, Hawke said:

FFS it doesn't mean NOTHING for the sponsors other than missing out on a few onshore parties.  Qantas stopping flying isn't going to affect how most people view the America's Cup sponsorship messages - broadcast TV!  Name another sporting event coming up that is going to have that exposure in the near future!

BTW Qantas has not stopped flying to NZ.  

UM, NHL, NFL, NBA just to name a few...  

11 hours ago, Hawke said:

Yes an idiot statement.  However in a perverse way he is correct.  There is very little reason for not allowing schools to open.  By and large they are not the vulnerable part of the population.

Yes, but the infrastructure around them most certainly is....  

11 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Count your blessings that we Kiwis are not only the holders of the Cup but the Cup protectors as well.

Auckland come AC36 kickoff will be one of the safest places on earth all the infrastructure is complete and two of the three contenders are in town with bases built so we await the Handbags and game on.

Protectors??  Sure.....

Maori protester crushes America’s Cup with sledgehammer

https://apnews.com/4646ceda3eea8f672373814279062e26

10 hours ago, Hawke said:

Disagree with the hygiene issue.  Children here are taught from an early age at school how to wash their hands and cough properly.  What's more if children are at school.  What's more it is easier to control children in a school environment and enforce those key strategies that help - social distancing, masks, washing your hands etc.  Failure to adhere to those guidelines is the reason why the disease spreads.

Again you reduce that impact by following the key and simple guidelines of reducing infection.  Another factor to consider is that those workers that we need in essential services particularly in the food industry have children that they can't afford to stay home and look after or hire someone to do it for them.

I don't know what your school days were like but freedom of movement wasn't one of things I remember!  Now we have the situation we teenagers are heading to the beach and not being controlled.  Again unintended consequences!

Gonna put this here from another thread, but please explain how the below is not a sooper spreader opportunity that will allow COVID to take over our community...  How do we make this work??  Seriously..  Do tell...  

GoSO My kid is a senior in College, so he is out of the house, but we still live within 1 Mi of one of the largest frigging high schools in Colorado.  600+ (sorry 3,000+ just looked) HS students 600+  middle and grade school kids on same campus, so 3 schools.  Now.  A community has sprung up around said school, restaurants, Grocery store, Retail strip mall etc etc etc.  SO, you take 1200+ (4K)kids, that is basically 4K+ cars once you add teachers, support staff, etc.  Each and every one of those cars has the capability of taking that virus from said school to the Grocery store where I will get it even though I do not have a dog in the fight...   I don't know about your Local HS, but the campus is open.  So at one time or another every one of those kids is going to go to any one of the numerous stores, shops, restaurants at one point in the day or another. 15-18 yolds are gonna wear masks all day right??  ...  How does that scenario even make sense in this day and age....  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hawke said:

You are wrong in so many ways.  Even if you are naive enough to think children have no risk, who will be teaching them?  How about all of the parents and grand parents of those children when they get home?  You must not have had any kids, because any parent knows that kids can be sick on almost a weekly basis with all of the crap they catch in school from other kids.  To think that kids going to school will not increase the spread of COVID-19 in the local community is nonsensical.  The only places were it will work is in areas where the virus has been contained, which rules out a majority of the US.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Hawke said:

No you can't fly between the USA and Mexico.  Didnt you know there's a wall between them.

Planes do get up in the air high enough to get over a wall.  Even a feeble, misguided one that is falling into the river...

A stupid thread created on a ridiculous premise has grown to over 70 posts....

Wow, are we ready for some real sailing.  

• Like 3

:) Well, not glass......But our boys managed to keep it safe for 130 some odd years.  You, well, maybe a month??  so there is that....

30 minutes ago, shaggy said:

:) Well, not glass......But our boys managed to keep it safe for 130 some odd years.  You, well, maybe a month??  so there is that....

Looks pretty mint to me.

4B6F0EA7-2A3B-4D65-87E9-399CD4289C6D.jpeg.f6addcc56c32f9d675a1175eab38d139.jpeg

3 hours ago, shaggy said:

Shit mate, if that troubled you, you'd hate to know what we've got up to the with the cup since then... much if it involved drinking all the american whine the likes of you seem so keen to keep producing. :D

14 hours ago, rh3000 said:

Shit mate, if that troubled you, you'd hate to know what we've got up to the with the cup since then... much if it involved drinking all the american whine the likes of you seem so keen to keep producing. :D

Always down for a pint or two..  skipped drinking the local shit as I spent time down south, nothing comes close here..  :). bud light it is.....  

Great link. The other shoe is dropping. It is inevitable that the AC will follow - either further delayed or cancelled. A further delay in effect means cancellation as sponsors and teams drop out.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Guvacine said:

Great link. The other shoe is dropping. It is inevitable that the AC will follow - either further delayed or cancelled. A further delay in effect means cancellation as sponsors and teams drop out.

If the Ocean Race was ONLY sailed in NZ they would not have postponed. Ocean Race has no idea what the world heath situation will be in all the countries they stop in.

10 minutes ago, JJD said:

If the Ocean Race was ONLY sailed in NZ they would not have postponed. Ocean Race has no idea what the world heath situation will be in all the countries they stop in.

True, agreed. But even NZ has an uncertain future unless they are extremely, extremely careful. 

14 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

True, agreed. But even NZ has an uncertain future unless they are extremely, extremely careful. 

They have certainly tightened up the quarantine process after some early debacles.

Ive got a mate in quarantine at the moment and the restrictions are comprehensive not only on each individual, but also the operations of the hotel as well.

50 minutes ago, JJD said:

the restrictions are comprehensive not only on each individual, but also the operations of the hotel as well.

Wot, no mingling with fellow quarantinettes? I’m not coming, then

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Xlot said:

Wot, no mingling with fellow quarantinettes? I’m not coming, then

Maybe if you take the trip with a quarantinette and have a pad and patio overlooking the Gulf, room service etc included too, it’d be a fun two weeks of kickoff? It has crossed my mind, not sure how that part works. 

24 minutes ago, Stingray~ said:

Maybe if you take the trip with a quarantinette and have a pad and patio overlooking the Gulf, room service etc included too, it’d be a fun two weeks of kickoff? It has crossed my mind, not sure how that part works. 

Me too, but it is the trip over that will likely kill ya. Maybe we should charter a boat.

Just now, Varan said:

Me too, but it is the trip over that will likely kill ya. Maybe we should charter a boat.

Yes, flying forever with f’knows’who is the crazy part of any travel plan, but it’s the fastest way to any anywhere! 

Plus, I doubt I could put in decent work from aboard a yacht all the way from Seattle to NZ, fun as it would be. 

1 minute ago, Stingray~ said:

Yes, flying forever with f’knows’who is the crazy part of any travel plan, but it’s the fastest way to any anywhere! 

Plus, I doubt I could put in decent work from aboard a yacht all the way from Seattle to NZ, fun as it would be. 

Screw work, I was more concerned about being able to pack enough beer.

(Seattle beer that is, like Fremont Lush)

• Like 1

A little thread drift, but if ya wanna talk about one trick ponies, boats built for specific conditions, you cannot ignore this.

I love that video. Match that with an F50.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Varan said:

Screw work, I was more concerned about being able to pack enough beer.

(Seattle beer that is, like Fremont Lush)

:D love it!

1 hour ago, Varan said:

A little thread drift, but if ya wanna talk about one trick ponies, boats built for specific conditions, you cannot ignore this.

I love that video. Match that with an F50.

Well - that's what is so interesting about the F50s.

51.24 knots - in a race - going round marks on a course.

That's a fast pony with lots of tricks. And NO reckons that record is going to be old news in the upcoming season with the smaller wings and new wing control systems. I think his comment was "the speed will go through the roof".

Should be fun.

WTF Smack, did you take your meds?  You sound almost decent in that last post, my hope for humankind is buoyed and on that note I think an adult beverage is in order.  Cheers AC posters and thanks for the entertainment.

• Like 2

Why, ZMF - I only smack when smacked...or when a snotty little Kiwi crosses my path.

Apart from that, I'm as mellow as crocodile.

Enjoy the bevvy.

10 hours ago, Tornado-Cat said:

8 hours ago, maxmini said:

I just read that , stonewalling the questions isn’t a good look. 

By rights, they should have requested funds to move the event by one year: that would have been a real damage due to the virus

Wasn't 51.4 a burst of speed straight to the finish?  Or am I misremembering Cowes? 

2 minutes ago, NeedAClew said:

Wasn't 51.4 a burst of speed straight to the finish?  Or am I misremembering Cowes? 

I'm going to assume you're not trying to imply what I think you are - because that would just be incredibly stupid.

I'll assume I just don't understand the question and move on.