Sign in to follow this  
SASSAFRASS

Happy day I get to go home!!!!!!

Found a ride finally!  Flying to USVI for a delivery, so stoked.  Only will be five months but who's counting!  Seems like a nice skipper.  There is some miracle possibly of them resuming flights to Panama but everyone in Panama I have talked to is not optimistic, only a week or so difference anyway.  Got my sinus depth checked again yesterday, hopefully only one more before home.

Yahooo!!

• Like 14

Even though none of the other cold-hearted bastards ;) on this forum are wishing you joy, Sass, I'm happy for you.

Godspeed!

• Like 2

Hey, I liked his post! Gotta write a novel too? ;)

No novels required, I'm so stoked just had to put it out there.  When you get to the point of accepting a plus minus month window for something happening getting it down to a couple days and a reality is pretty awesome!

Well done, wish I could get back to my boat in Panama. 

Looks like I made the right call.  They tacked on another month to travel restrictions in Panama, late Aug now.  Sounds like they will open the airport as scheduled and start using as a humanitarian hub to get people moved home, won't open to travelers coming in for a while.  Some friends were supposed to fly out to Florida to deliver a boat back hope they can still get out.

On the hook in Bocas, had a nice trip down from Ft Lauderdale, great captain and crew.  Have to do two weeks on hook for quarentine then home.  Anchored right in from my of our boat. Going  to be 6 months to the day almost for getting home!

Have a freezer full of fish from trip, lots of animals along the way. Great wx window.

IMG_20200816_183826202.jpg

IMG_20200811_121949376.jpg

• Like 2

Nice view of the marina.

First time on a all power push button boat, have to say as long as it all works was pretty easy to operate a boat this big. Captain is super cool Italian guy with tons of experience great to learn a lot along the way.

IMG_20200817_062359918_HDR.jpg

Congrats on living the life!

What type of boat did you deliver?

New Jenuau 64, all electric furler winches etc, set up for family day sail use. Can more or less do everything from the helm. Boat is pretty solid no squeaks under way. 

Suffering through another day of quarentine.... It's a little easier when the lobster cayouca stops by.

IMG_20200819_125043254_HDR.jpg

That looks great.

I don't really understand your work situation or what you do.  Are you on a scheduled break from work, living off your earnings for some months?

I've been doing limited relief work since we went cruising, chief engineer on large commercial fishing vessels and project management for layups Drydocking etc, fly up for a month or two during hurricane season.  Due to Covid I ended up completing the entire commitment I had for the year, so that's it for a while.  Have thought about several things to stay put vessel surveyor etc but have yet to get my shit together.

• Like 1

This quarentine food is getting awfully repetitive....

Tonight is Mahi Moqueca

I think the other boat in Q bought 15 lobsters....is $20 for 5

IMG_20200820_132317602_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

I hope your not wearing your scruffy old straw hat on that boat!

No it needed to stay in MX as it was a truly Mexican hat, it sailed away off Chiapas.  Have yet to find a suitable replacement although a French kid was making some palm ones that might work.

Another hard luck meal in Q, lobster man came by again... hopefully we can suffer through three more days...

IMG_20200827_193333797~2.jpg

We were in the San Blas in 1997 on the first boat. Cayuco knocks on our friend's boat (45' so big for the time). 

"we have crab $5 each" 

Our friends passed so they paddle over to our small 30' boat. Sizing up the market.... 

"we have crab $1 each" 

We bought 4 and had our friends over for dinner. 

But we ate so much lobster. We were waiting for a window to sail north to Providencia (300-400 miles hard on the wind in the trades). Waiting and waiting and buying lobster because there was not the organized grocery deliveries in San Blas then. Lobster omelettes, lobster spaghetti, lobster curry, lobster stir fry. 

• Like 2

Hmmm, guess social distancing on the hook is not a thing...

Looks like we might have to move some new close Q neighbors.

Current is crazy here so you can end up all over contrary to your hook depending on the hull wind and tide.

It's seriously about 6' bow to stern

IMG_20200828_094731379_HDR~2.jpg

They came up and were probably a little surprised, asked if they needed to move, which was nice.  We just motored back stretched the chain out and all is well.  It's like being in the Aquatic center in SF here sometimes, wierd moving boats.

4 hours ago, SASSAFRASS said:

Hmmm, guess social distancing on the hook is not a thing...

Looks like we might have to move some new close Q neighbors.

Current is crazy here so you can end up all over contrary to your hook depending on the hull wind and tide.

It's seriously about 6' bow to stern

IMG_20200828_094731379_HDR~2.jpg

Why are you torturing that Pineapple?

You have to try that, Brazilian trick.  All the sugar spreads out even. Leave it upside down till ripe works great.  I think it only works when they are green, not already ripe.

Just had a squal come through good times reset a bit away so all good now.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

The torture has begun!

Lets let it hang.

Now you are talking, that looks so good, have to try that one pineapple must be amazing cooked like that.

18 hours ago, Zonker said:

We were in the San Blas in 1997 on the first boat. Cayuco knocks on our friend's boat (45' so big for the time). 

"we have crab $5 each" 

Our friends passed so they paddle over to our small 30' boat. Sizing up the market.... 

"we have crab $1 each" 

We bought 4 and had our friends over for dinner. 

But we ate so much lobster. We were waiting for a window to sail north to Providencia (300-400 miles hard on the wind in the trades). Waiting and waiting and buying lobster because there was not the organized grocery deliveries in San Blas then. Lobster omelettes, lobster spaghetti, lobster curry, lobster stir fry. 

I read somewhere a lobster is the same cholesterol as like four steaks... I definitely would want to have the conundrum of how to mix up a endless supply of lobster.  

Kind of bummed we couldn't stop at Provedencia San Andreas or Albequrque.  Have heard they are amazing.  Hopefully they open up this fall or winter.

Providencia is very chill compared to San Andreas. The latter has an airport for tourists from mainland Colombia and is far more fancy. 

Left Bocas Feb 24th, almost six months to the day, sitting in the cockpit with the kiddo and wife

Fuckin A it's soooo good to be Home!!!

• Like 2

Great to hear. Re the close anchoring buddies. My rule of thumb is "can I hit them with a beer bottle if I don't try really hard?"  If the answer is yes, then they are too close

Too funny, Zonker.

The kiddo made us G&T's and is chilling drinking a beer updating her new phone.  We offered to buy her a new one when hers went swimming but she said no she could wait, ended up being four months but pretty cool pretty proud of her.  I feel a little old haha.

Note the rule only applies to current long necked bottles, not the old fashioned "stubbies" we used to have in Canada. They required an overarm swing like throwing a hand grenade but did not throw as well

1388H.png

Congrats Sass! That's the way quarantine should be done.