So a rig from a 1992 AC boat falls down.   Was there anyone there to hear it?   Pretty good mileage for an original carbon AC rig. I'm guessing it was pretty much all original but don't actually know...

I sailed on her in February, It defiantly shows her age,   a few things didn't work, but I enjoyed the ride, and  felt safe reaching around SanD harbor in 10 knots of air, which  I get the feeling is about all they do with in anymore.   Skipper Lynn, and his wife Bee are super people, as were the crew, who appear to be mostly volunteer and obviously dedicated...maybe they can march next door and borrow a mast from the Geronimo syndicate 

• Like 2

Those rigs barely stood up on their own when they were new and being maintained full time by a team of professionals. Not sure why anyone is surprised that they went all london-bridge if the boat is being chartered out and run by volunteers in the UV-hellscape that is southern california. 

I raced the boat in a load of breeze in SF Bay when John Sweeney had her (and NZL-14 and ITA-1) in the early 00's.  Lots of fun.

Probably had her original rods.  And as jackolantern said the UV and heat cycling can't have helped the carbon very much.

There should be several IACC rigs around for a replacement.

it would be great if someone knowledgable could post - once the info is available - where and why the rig failed and when the last service (disassembly) of the rig components was done. much appreciated!

22 hours ago, jackolantern said:

Those rigs barely stood up on their own when they were new and being maintained full time by a team of professionals. Not sure why anyone is surprised that they went all london-bridge if the boat is being chartered out and run by volunteers in the UV-hellscape that is southern california. 

I disagree. New these things were then the epitome of strong go-fasts, as the contests proved over the years. As to UV etc, various to each former rig...

Bring the originals back!!!

From Stars & Stripes USA 11 Facebook page 

1h · 

Although Stars & Stripes is out of service at this time, we are still open for charters. IL Moro di Venezia can accommodate up to 12 guests. She is built under the same formula as Stars & Stripes, hence she is the same size, and equally as much fun! We look forward to taking you out for a sail!

We are so grateful and moved by the tremendous show of support from our boating community when the mishap occurred last week. And we thank the amazing efforts of those who rushed in to...

See More
Image may contain: ocean, sky, boat, outdoor, water and nature

14 hours ago, ZAR said:
From Stars & Stripes USA 11 Facebook page 

1h · 

Although Stars & Stripes is out of service at this time, we are still open for charters. IL Moro di Venezia can accommodate up to 12 guests. She is built under the same formula as Stars & Stripes, hence she is the same size, and equally as much fun! We look forward to taking you out for a sail!

We are so grateful and moved by the tremendous show of support from our boating community when the mishap occurred last week. And we thank the amazing efforts of those who rushed in to...

See More
Image may contain: ocean, sky, boat, outdoor, water and nature

Thanks for wonderful pic...

Those (sturdy) old 12s make sailing what it is for me.

Never missed an AC race (TV)...

As some played hookey from whatever for the World Series, which I did, always...

Same for the AC...always. Even when they wore helmets (Ellison) and later lost. But nothing comes close to those former lead bottomed top-o-the crests. What sailing really is.

Spent those hours a grinnin and a swillin, as I watched and listened to the creaking-which I miss!

• Like 1

She is one of the Americas Cup boats not a 12.

don't think there has ever been a 12 that fat!

Gee, thought it was S and S. Even so, pretty slick.

Like to see them do a match...at least to windward mark and back...those AC 12s were not slow, though their power was mighty large.

Scepter was beamy...I thought.

1 hour ago, TUBBY said:

She is one of the Americas Cup boats not a 12.

don't think there has ever been a 12 that fat!

is Nzr_ZIfvzBj.pngfeeling excited.
JummtSloyt 1Shd0cnpo fat ns1iSoreSi:uh55h AidMd
  · 

San Diego's America's Cup Yacht IL Moro raced in 1992. Seventy-seven feet long, 11 stories high breezing along at 11 to 12 knots last June, San Diego Bay!

Neither boat is a 12 meter, IACC rule. 

STARS & STRIPES

USA-11

Stars & Stripes USA-11 is an International America's Cup Class (IACC) racing yacht used by Team Dennis Conner in an effort to defend the prestigious America's Cup trophy held by San Diego Yacht Club. With her 1992 state-of-the-art carbon hull and spars, Stars & Stripes is lighter, larger, and faster than previous generations of America's Cup boats. Join us for three hours of interactive and exciting FUN sailing San Diego Bay!

Stars & Stripes USA-11 is an International America's Cup Class (IACC) racing yacht used by Team Dennis Conner in an effort to defend the prestigious America's Cup trophy held by San Diego Yacht Club. With her 1992 state-of-the-art carbon hull and spars, Stars & Stripes is lighter, larger, and faster than previous generations of America's Cup boats. Join us for three hours of interactive and exciting FUN sailing San Diego Bay!

A five million dollars boat with a top speed of 16 knots?  Misplaced nostalgia.

6 minutes ago, McGyver said:

A five million dollars boat with a top speed of 16 knots?  Misplaced nostalgia.

I enjoyed watching them much more than the multihulls 

• Like 5

Latadjust +1. More to it than "Benjis per mile," lots more...

I can still hear hear the rigging creaking with power...

Must be a hoot, driving one of these rigs...

• Like 1

Ya, I have to concede that being a lifelong racing sailor, tactician, alternate helmsman and trimmer, I get a lot more out of watching an IACC race than the average tv viewer. The multis definitely are better at keeping the attention of kids, cats, the over-stimulated-by-illuminated-screens-instant-gratification masses, at least for a minute ~

On 7/24/2020 at 9:34 AM, Latadjust said:

I enjoyed watching them much more than the multihulls 

I didn't like the Scalextr... I mean multihulls in Bermuda either, but monohulls don't need to be slow.  A TP52 style monohull with the same lenght of the ACC boats, in Hawaii or Fremantle, would have been glorious.  And great for TV too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McGyver said:

I didn't like the Scalextr... I mean multihulls in Bermuda either, but monohulls don't need to be slow.  A TP52 style monohull with the same lenght of the ACC boats, in Hawaii or Fremantle, would have been glorious.  And great for TV too.

Now THAT would be awesome! And I think it would appeal to a wide range of viewers 

On 7/17/2020 at 8:21 AM, lead_ior50 said:

it would be great if someone knowledgable could post - once the info is available - where and why the rig failed and when the last service (disassembly) of the rig components was done. much appreciated!

Is that a genuine inquiry or are you working for the Plaintiff?

On 7/25/2020 at 2:11 AM, BobBill said:

..those AC 12s were not slow, 

Compared to what? The 12s were pretty to look at but were 7.5 knot shit boxes and apart from ‘83 all AC matches in the 12s were as boring as batshit. Chicks from that era were hot back then as well but that doesn’t mean you will enjoy riding on one now.

52 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Chicks from that era were hot back then as well but that doesn’t mean you will enjoy riding on one now.

Golf clap 

On 7/24/2020 at 2:31 PM, Latadjust said:

Ya, I have to concede that being a lifelong racing sailor, tactician, alternate helmsman and trimmer, I get a lot more out of watching an IACC race than the average tv viewer. The multis definitely are better at keeping the attention of kids, cats, the over-stimulated-by-illuminated-screens-instant-gratification masses, at least for a minute ~

LIke the Olympics, the venue went for moola. Not the same, novel and fun? Aye, but not the same.

America's Cup, to this swab, has deep-sixed itself, sadly.

Those power rigs might have only moved at 10-15 knots, but they kept the spirit going.

So now what happens...new crowd pleaser craft/class called C-19 ganna keep the venue up and running, maybe next go will be multi manned kites? Not by a jetsam!

On 7/25/2020 at 9:01 PM, hobot said:

Is that a genuine inquiry or are you working for the Plaintiff?

not affiliated. just looking for data points on rig failure as I own a yacht with a tall carbon mast.

On 7/24/2020 at 9:11 AM, BobBill said:

Gee, thought it was S and S. Even so, pretty slick.

Like to see them do a match...at least to windward mark and back...those AC 12s were not slow, though their power was mighty large.

Scepter was beamy...I thought.

Sceptre had a fairly full bow, but beam of only 11'8", which was about the minimum before penalties kicked in.

Nefertiti was the beamiest 12 I can think of at 13'3" - and Columbia was 11'9"

comparison_of_12s.gif

Her beam looked to be carried much further aft than typical and much wider stern.

Nefertiti.jpg

Related story - I was sailing on Sydney Harbour a few years ago when one of the two IACC yachts that used to do charters sailed past us. Mainsheet hand looked at the IACC yacht and said "I'm amazed that rig is still standing!" At which point their rig collapsed, straight over the side.