svitale

COVID vs Pogo 36 delivery (I’m Fucked)

The plan was to take delivery in France on March 1st, cruise up north and then cross the Atlantic to Barbados after hurricane season.  But it doesn’t look like US citizens will be allowed in Europe any time soon.

After reading an article about travel restrictions between Germany and Luxembourg, it looks like the US needs to get the new cases per week down to 50/100,000 for the travel ban to be lifted.  So (331,076,384 x 50)/(100,000 x 7)= 23,648.3 daily cases

Cases reported July 14 - 65,594 cases or 277% and July 15 – 71,670 or 303%

This will be interesting to track on a weekly basis. 

If I were you? I’d explore looking at delivery skipper to UK & see what your options are re traveling to quarantine in the UK. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, svitale said:

The plan was to take delivery in France on March 1st, cruise up north and then cross the Atlantic to Barbados after hurricane season.  But it doesn’t look like US citizens will be allowed in Europe any time soon.

After reading an article about travel restrictions between Germany and Luxembourg, it looks like the US needs to get the new cases per week down to 50/100,000 for the travel ban to be lifted.  So (331,076,384 x 50)/(100,000 x 7)= 23,648.3 daily cases

Is shipping even possible these days?  I suppose it’s too beamy for roro?  

40 minutes ago, Miffy said:

If I were you? I’d explore looking at delivery skipper to UK & see what your options are re traveling to quarantine in the UK. 

Self-isolate for 14 days. If you get there.

Other options in Europe: Turkey and Albania. 

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/us-international-travel-covid-19/index.html

I've already looked at shipping and it's my last resort.  The travel problem for that is I can't go to do the sea trails before it gets shipped. 

The biggest disappointment is that I have been planning the trip since I put down my deposit in 2018.  The plan keeps changing but this would be a major change.

On 7/16/2020 at 7:51 AM, svitale said:

Could you have the Pogo delivered to a point at sea and board her there?  Multiple boats, transport, etc etc, but apart from that .... it would solve some problems......

Weekly Update

image.png.53c1229bbbee6d61291ea7c55ef20522.png

And to top it off, the euro is now at its high for the year since they have their shit together.

Way to go USA!

There are several ways to get the boat back to the US but my main idea was to do a European delivery kind of like Audi or Porsche. Where you pick it up at the factory, drive it around on vacation and then put it on the boat back to the US.

I trust Pogo to do right by me for the final inspection but it would be nice to actually be there to see it in person.

47 minutes ago, svitale said:

Weekly Update

image.png.53c1229bbbee6d61291ea7c55ef20522.png

And to top it off, the euro is now at its high for the year since they have their shit together.

Way to go USA!

There are several ways to get the boat back to the US but my main idea was to do a European delivery kind of like Audi or Porsche. Where you pick it up at the factory, drive it around on vacation and then put it on the boat back to the US.

I trust Pogo to do right by me for the final inspection but it would be nice to actually be there to see it in person.

Delivered to the UK, quarantine on the boat, cruise Europe?

I mean, it's hurricane season anyway now, so I'd say a sailed delivery is off until end November anyway, no?

Would a sailed delivery from France mainland to Martinique etc. work without the need for quarantine, anybody? (antibody, hehe...)

The whole intent of the thread is to compare where the US stands vs the level I think will be acceptable for France and the EU to open up for US tourists.  As a US citizen, I cannot travel to France right now.  The closest I could get is Albania, Croatia, Serbia, or Turkey.  

Delivery is March 2021 and the Atlantic crossing would be after hurricane season in 2021.  I'm just complaining because I want to maximize the time I get to spend in Europe and not leave it on the hard for six months.  I'd also like to see the trend start to go down by the time they start building it in October.

30 minutes ago, svitale said:

Delivery is March 2021

Don't worry too much. Even Trump has caught up with the need for masks now.

March is still a long way off. US should have got a grip on it by then.

Best of luck.

2 minutes ago, mathystuff said:

Don't worry too much. Even Trump has caught up with the need for masks now.

March is still a long way off. US should have got a grip on it by then.

Best of luck.

... there’s no federal plan - been waiting for one since January 2020. 

He’s better off planning a travel to the UK, get thru quarantine and go from there. 

On 7/17/2020 at 11:49 PM, svitale said:

I've already looked at shipping and it's my last resort.  The travel problem for that is I can't go to do the sea trails before it gets shipped. 

The biggest disappointment is that I have been planning the trip since I put down my deposit in 2018.  The plan keeps changing but this would be a major change.

Hi Svitale,

That really does suck. Pogo told me most people want to get hand-over and trials done in a day, too time poor. I stayed for 5 days and the Structures team couldn't have been more accommodating or helpful.

Is there any mechanism for you to get in and be quarantined for two weeks as an alternate? Sitting in a hotel room for two weeks sounds horrific, but so does not spending time with Structures getting the hang of the boat. 

I am sure Pogo would be happy to come to you for sea trials post delivery. But with Covid that would mean they would most likely have to quarantine into the US and back into France, and even with costs covered that would take out a valuable staff member for too long a period to be viable.

Geez, that is a tough one.   

Shaggy, 

My plan is to spend a week in the area before heading north.  That would give me time with Structures, time for them to fix anything, time to outfit the galley etc before heading north. 

It’s still a long way off but as I get closer, I’ll start exploring all the options such as quarantine or shipping. The good thing is I retire in Dec, so I’ll have plenty of time to figure it out.   If they would only let me quarantine in the Alps, with the option of outside exercise. I’d even be willing to use skins and earn my turns. 

Steve

Weekly update - a slight improvement

image.png.b5713ea2d4de903b6df1ca2a0abe2754.png

Weekly goal is just a linear progression we need to meet to get down to 23k in 31 weeks

I’m sorry mate but it isn’t going to get better in the US anytime soon and looking at the daily for signs of improvement is just denial. There’s no concerted effort to coordinate any contact tracing or selective quarantines. Private charter schools own the Devos and are pushing everyone to reopen schools. 

we are watching the the death roll of the admin and they’ll make sure they cash out before January.

Like already said above - your safest bet is to exploit the special relationship situation with the US-UK-EU and plan to be quarantined. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 10:29 AM, Miffy said:

I’m sorry mate but it isn’t going to get better in the US anytime soon and looking at the daily for signs of improvement is just denial. There’s no concerted effort to coordinate any contact tracing or selective quarantines. Private charter schools own the Devos and are pushing everyone to reopen schools. 

we are watching the the death roll of the admin and they’ll make sure they cash out before January.

Like already said above - your safest bet is to exploit the special relationship situation with the US-UK-EU and plan to be quarantined. 

I agree with you that things will not be getting better in the US anytime soon with what we have seen about schools this week.   The whole point of this is just to track it and see where the numbers go.  I'm not pinning my hopes on any short term change but they affect my ease of travel to France and the exchange rate which has gone from 1.11 to 1.18 in a month.  Lucky for me that MSFT is up 36% this year.  

image.png.10626fd5724bb26fadf383408debc2af.png

On 7/24/2020 at 7:11 PM, svitale said:

The whole intent of the thread is to compare where the US stands vs the level I think will be acceptable for France and the EU to open up for US tourists.  As a US citizen, I cannot travel to France right now.  The closest I could get is Albania, Croatia, Serbia, or Turkey.  

Delivery is March 2021 and the Atlantic crossing would be after hurricane season in 2021.  I'm just complaining because I want to maximize the time I get to spend in Europe and not leave it on the hard for six months.  I'd also like to see the trend start to go down by the time they start building it in October.

Start crossing your fingers for a change of politics in November. This will be the easiest alternative. The then remaining time until getting your boat should be sufficient to handle issues. As a pogo fan I can feel your frustration...

Weekly Wednesday update - I'm using https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/    because it is easy to cut and paste into a spreadsheet

image.png.b3e09ebafa49d5b506c9baa2272c5a5d.png

To show you how bad the US is I also have the combined numbers of France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, UK, Spain and Portugal (US population is 331 mil, Trip countries 324 mil)

US cases and deaths per 100k are 16.46 and 4.54 vs 2.79 and .014 (Spain is trying to blow the curve with cases up  at 7.9)

new format this week but I changed the 7 day case limit to 20/100,000 which is the non quarantine limit for the UK

image.png.f48b5d9068775dca15e7cd6159b2a046.png

-27% below the goal vs -15% last week. 

You might as well pay the balance up now because it isn’t gonna get better - the economy isn’t going to recover when consumers can’t return to basic life because they’re either tied to virtual schooling, cautiously limiting consumer spending, concerned about future income and the feds are pushing cheap credit for ppl with money to buy more property and assets and make money with free money.