Essex

Around the World on a craigslist 3k Cal 27

God bless him for trying. He made some interesting points in  the interview.

God bless him for trying indeed. Obviously at the bottom end of a steep learning curve, but the fact that he's honest about that, and mentions plans to learn how to sail *before leaving, seems promising. Looks like the boat came potentially a little bit better set-up than your average 3k4ksb, too.

Finally, someone to take up the slack now that Reamus is on the hard.

• Like 2

Um,

okay, a dreamer who’s going to sharpen his heretofore zero sailing knowledge And skills by singlehandling it on the Outer Banks during Hurricane season?  With his standing rigging having how many years/decades on it?

I hope he succeeds.  Mostly because I feel for the Coasties who would otherwise have to risk it to save him.

Well... What else is there to say?

We have discussed everything about these types of catastroph... Voyages in the past. 

Let's just patiently wait for the grand finale.

I hope the grand finale includes footage. 

• Like 1

What could possibly go wrong all you doubters.  Look how may oceans Rimus drifted across.

• Like 1

OK, most of these attempts are pathetic at best, but in this case I am slightly sympathetic: the guy first of all acknowledges that this is not going to be a walk in the park. He knows he needs to learn a lot, that he is financially in a poor situation, and that the sea is a dangerous place.  Secondly, he wants to live a life that is worth living. That means taking some risks and he is fine with that. Thirdly I don't see any attempt at GoFundMe. 

I don't know the guy. If I did I might have a very different opinion, but for now, I hope he will succeed somehow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Bastard said:

He'll need some bean sprout.

And a few tons of cheese

FB- Doug

And a Woman (if that is his flavor) ..

Someone has to stand the mid to 4..

Bless him and I hope he does not have to divert a ship to get him.

Sail safe!

Yes! A tracker.

Should someone alert him that the Inca’s Machu Pichu is not a sailing destination. Nor is it an Aztec thing...odd that he thinks of those things rather than, say, Easter Island or Patagonia or coral reefs...

• Like 2

Sounds like an episode from one of these survival shows. Everyone starts out happy and optimistic and then when the sh***t hits the fan they realize they are in something big. Hard to say oops and tap out when you are in the middle of the ocean.

He sounds more thoughtful than FF was.  He didn't put the sails up because he doesn't know how to sail.  Points for that.