Sign in to follow this  
12 metre

Older J/30 galley update

Contemplating a 1979 J/30 across the border.  Problem is with the Coronavirus thing, I am unable to view her.

The galley on the pre '84s looks kind of cramped in the photos - I like the layout in the post 84 ones much better.

Anybody updated the galley on an older J/30 to be like a post 84 one?  I don't care about the loss of the Q-Berth.  Doesn't look like too big a project, but I could be wrong.

Anything to be aware of in a '79 model?  Stories of core issues abound, whether true or not, I don't know. First year of production of anything tends to be the worst though.

I personally think J Boats got the galley right on the older boats. I'm not quite sure why everyone is obsessed with the larger galley. I've never cooked a three course meal down below on any of my boats nor do I know anyone who ever has. All I need is a cooler for the beers and sandwiches and I'm all set. A big galley looks great at the boat show, but for practical use of the boat, I'd be happier with the extra quarter birth for sail/miscellaneous storage, or an extra bunk.

I love J's, but they are fully cored hull and decks. Its a 40+ year old boat so it wont be perfect, but they are still usually pretty solid. Check the hull between the keel and the stuffing box. Worst case with the J/29/30 is water sometimes gets in from around the shaft and settles in the core in this relatively flat area. Other then that, the usual suspect: Bulkheads, stanchion mounts, rudder mounts, around deck hardware, etc.

J/30's are a really nice all around cruiser/racer. If you end up with an older one, I wouldn't spend the extra money updating the galley. If the galley is super important, look at a Catalina 30 of the sale era. They aren't as fast or as good looking in my opinion, but they have one of the largest, best laid out interiors of 30'cruising sailboat from that era.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, USA 5184 said:

I love J's, but they are fully cored hull and decks. Its a 40+ year old boat so it wont be perfect, but they are still usually pretty solid. Check the hull between the keel and the stuffing box. Worst case with the J/29/30 is water sometimes gets in from around the shaft and settles in the core in this relatively flat area. Other then that, the usual suspect: Bulkheads, stanchion mounts, rudder mounts, around deck hardware, etc.

I'm not too familiar with the construction of the J/30 other than having a balsa cored hull & deck.

From how you describe it, it sounds like they used balsa throughout the hull - i.e not solid glass in the keel sump area nor along the bottom centreline.  What about the thru hulls - did they bevel the core around the perimeters, or just hole saw and goop in place?

2 hours ago, 12 metre said:

I'm not too familiar with the construction of the J/30 other than having a balsa cored hull & deck.

From how you describe it, it sounds like they used balsa throughout the hull - i.e not solid glass in the keel sump area nor along the bottom centreline.  What about the thru hulls - did they bevel the core around the perimeters, or just hole saw and goop in place?

Just a hole saw. I didn't see any location on mine where the holes were prepared or the core was isolated. Despite that, the core issues were easy enough to repair. YMMV.

19 hours ago, 12 metre said:

Its cored everywhere and there was no isolation on any through hulls or deck fittings, that will be your job to do :) 

As for the Keel sump area, I'm not sure. I had a 1996 J/24 and 1983 J/29 and I honestly don't remember if the sump area was solid glass or of it was cored or not. 

19 hours ago, 12 metre said:

The J29 is solid FG laminate around the keel sump and approximately 8-10" to either side of centeline from bow to stern. I would think the J30 is the same as it is the same hull and most of the other early J Boats were built this way.   

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 9:17 AM, USA 5184 said:

I personally think J Boats got the galley right on the older boats. I'm not quite sure why everyone is obsessed with the larger galley. I've never cooked a three course meal down below on any of my boats nor do I know anyone who ever has. All I need is a cooler for the beers and sandwiches and I'm all set. A big galley looks great at the boat show, but for practical use of the boat, I'd be happier with the extra quarter birth for sail/miscellaneous storage, or an extra bunk.

J/30's are a really nice all around cruiser/racer. If you end up with an older one, I wouldn't spend the extra money updating the galley. If the galley is super important, look at a Catalina 30 of the sale era. They aren't as fast or as good looking in my opinion, but they have one of the largest, best laid out interiors of 30'cruising sailboat from that era.

Agreed 100%. We have hull #25 built in ‘79. We race and entertain. The minimalist galley has been fine even on distance races lasting several days.  Like any older boat, it’s going to have issues and will be a work in progress. That said, the J/30 is a rock solid boat.

B0045093-D2AE-43AB-ACFD-387D34BC73D0.jpeg