Sign in to follow this  
Shortforbob

Lock down madness

Recommended Posts

I think my best friend's gone mad.

How does an intelligent, well educated  woman suddenly turn anti vaxer, anti mask, anti Fauci, Bill gates and WHO conspiracy theorist?

We've been besties for 27 years.

R is a well grounded, stoical, atheist. Salt of the earth, calm cynic.

I don't recognize her anymore.

She works in a Pharmacy, has two lovely kids, plenty of money, a husband that adores her.

She's gone completely potty..sending me dozens of links from fucking facebook from anything from Nigerian Youtubes about experimenting on children, to The "Fauci knew this was going to happen?? how" bullshit and the "Planned" virus crap. 

We had a discussion today, she's gone full on anti vax.

I'm seriously worried about her.

This is not normal, it's not her.

WHY? How?

Too much facebook and nothing better to do?

 

Anyone else had this happen to close friends and family?

I'm more worried about this hysteria and it's causes than I am about the Virus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She's not the only one, bloke who runs a forum for my particular area, has done the same thing, He's even quoting David Ike, A former Broadcaster who went off the deep end years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke and reckons we are all controlled by reptiles..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the same thing about a few of my friends and family who act like trump is the 2nd coming of Jesus.  Despite all of the horrible things he has said and done.  I am baffled how anyone can look at the last 4 years and consider the US to be better off than the 8 years of Obama.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Q said:

She's not the only one, bloke who runs a forum for my particular area, has done the same thing, He's even quoting David Ike, A former Broadcaster who went off the deep end years ago https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Icke and reckons we are all controlled by reptiles..

 

 

OH OH

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2013/11/what-its-believe-youre-controlled-reptilians/354818/

"What It's Like to Believe You're Controlled By Reptilians"

"A sizeable number of Americans, 12 million or not, believe that reptilian beings control the government. Why they believe that isn't a political or scientific question. It's a human one."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Keith said:

 

"A sizeable number of Americans, 12 million or not, believe that reptilian beings control the government.

Ah That explains Trump, I'd classify him as a reptile ..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of folks have mental health challenges in the best of times - now with financial? Personal stress? It is only going to get worse. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see this around here as well, with smart, well grounded and educated people.

People are overnewsed but underinformed and depending of their chosen favorite channels eventually overwhelmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just a craving for some sort of excitement, some sort of "drama" among all the rather bland and cold data we're getting on the real news services? My friend is one of the very last people in the world I'd think would turn to this tripe. But I know she's bored.

Nothing to do in a perfect modern home, kids living interstate no interest in politics or hobbies of any kind. 

But She has research skills dammit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he coronavirus is a genetically engineered bioweapon made by the Chinese. Or possibly the Americans. It originated in a lab in Wuhan. Or possibly a US military lab. No, actually it’s a hoax. But even though it’s a hoax, it’s also caused by 5G masts broadcasting electromagnetic waves. It is part of a scheme devised by Bill Gates to introduce mass global ­vaccination as a Trojan horse for totalitarian world government. Dr Anthony Fauci – the mild-mannered director of America’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and a prominent member of the White House’s coronavirus task force before being sidelined by Donald Trump – is in on it. And so is the World Health Organisation. Believe all that, and you’ll believe anything.

But a lot of people, it seems, do. Conspiracy theories flourish in times of paranoia, uncertainty and fear – and the coronavirus pandemic presents all three. It has arrived out of the blue, driving whole nations into a state of paralysis, laying waste to the global economy, and carrying with it a ­panoply of dystopian threats and fears – the ­curtailing of civil liberties, involuntary quarantine and restrictions on movement. There is disagreement about exactly what the virus is, how it originated and how best to deal with it – affirming screenwriter William Goldman’s maxim that “nobody knows anything”. If ever there was a time when certainty was needed, it is now.

But this, it seems, is also a moment when trust in institutions, government and the media is at a dangerous low – opening the door wide for ­conspiracy theories and their seductive promise of an apparent map to the unmappable; a hidden “truth”, or a pacifying lie. A recent study by researchers at Oxford University into conspiracy theories shows how ideas that would otherwise have been confined to the fringes have become mainstream, reflecting a distrust in official accounts. And which may, in turn, discourage ­people from following official health guidelines.

Fourteen per cent of those surveyed in England agreed “moderately” or “completely” that the coronavirus is a hoax, 38 per cent that it’s man-made, 26 per cent that it’s a deliberate attempt to “reduce the size of the global population”. Thirty-nine per cent thought that the British Government is misleading the public about the cause of the virus, and 44 per cent were prepared to believe the “mainstream media” is “deliberately feeding us misinformation about the virus and lockdown”. The study was led by Daniel Freeman, a professor in the Department of Psychiatry, whose principal area of research is paranoia and mistrust. Freeman says he was “surprised and concerned” by the findings. “These are beliefs that are false and wrong. Belief affects action, and in this case may well affect how people are adhering to guidelines, and future uptake of vaccines and other interventions.”

Karen Douglas, a professor of social psychology at the University of Kent, and an authority on conspiracy theories, says that such ideas appeal to people when they experience feelings of uncertainty, powerlessness and anxiety. “People are looking for explanations for the crisis, and they are sometimes looking for someone to blame,” she says. “People’s psychological needs for certainty and security are likely to be very frustrated – and conspiracy theories might appear to offer some kind of solace.”

Covid brings together a particularly inflammable assortment of fears about technology, medicine, information and power. Take 5G. Claims about the link between the introduction of 5G technology and Covid first appeared on social media in late January. One theory is that 5G suppresses the immune system, making people more susceptible to the virus. Another holds that the virus is actually a form of radiation poisoning transmitted through radio waves (a theory that 21 per cent of respondents to the Oxford University survey were prepared, to some degree, to entertain). Both have been roundly dismissed by scientists and doctors as the worst kind of fake news.

Central to most conspiracy theories is the invisible presence of a powerful, secretive, often occult cabal bent on global domination. It is the hidden “they”, and its cast of characters changes over the years. But foremost among them is the Illuminati – the secret society founded in 1776 in Bavaria by law professor Adam Weishaupt. Despite it being stamped out in the 1780s, conspiracy theorists have continued to hold the Illuminati accountable for everything from the French Revolution to the assassination of John F. Kennedy. Present members allegedly include Prince Philip, the Pope and Beyoncé. Over the years other ­targets have emerged: the Rockefellers, the ­Bilderberg Group, the financier George Soros and the Rothschilds. No conspiracy theory can get very far without demonising those who have been the victims of such ideas for centuries: the Jews. (Around one-fifth of those questioned in the Oxford survey were prepared to endorse to some degree the proposition that “Jews have created the virus to collapse the economy for financial gain”.)

But the virus has also brought new actors onto the stage, most notably Bill Gates. Gates is the world’s second wealthiest man – and one of its most generous benefactors. As of 2018, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation had an endowment of $46.8 billion, making it one of the world’s largest private charitable organisations. In April, Gates announced that the Foundation, which has hitherto focused on HIV and the eradication of polio and malaria, would now be turning its “total attention” on the coronavirus.

Gates’s commitment to mass vaccination ­programs has long been the subject of conspiracy theories. In 2011 he credited vaccines with reducing population growth – spawning theories that he had inadvertently “admitted” he was using ­vaccines to kill or sterilise people in developing countries. What Gates was actually saying was that evidence shows that by reducing child mortality rates through vaccination programs, families would be more prepared to practise birth control. But the pandemic has brought another twist – this time alleging that Gates has actually been involved in developing and spreading the virus in order to introduce a mass vaccination program that will be used to introduce total surveillance and enslavement by “global microchipping”.

This theory has proved particularly seductive to some fundamentalist Christians in America, who see it as proof of prophecy in the Book of Revelation. Gates as “the anti-Christ” has since become a popular meme in the murkier depths of social media. These theories are not confined to the fringes, either. In May, Italian MP Sara Cunial made a speech in her country’s parliament ­claiming that Gates’ “real reason” for developing a vaccine for COVID-19 was “absolute domination” of the world’s population, and called for him to be tried for crimes against humanity. A video of Cunial’s speech shared on social media went on to be viewed more than one million times. A Yahoo News/YouGov poll suggested that an astonishing 44 per cent of Republican voters in the US believe the conspiracy theories about Gates.

Understandably perhaps, Gates has not ­commented on the theories but Mark Suzman, CEO of the Gates Foundation, has expressed ­concern about the proliferation of conspiracy ­theories online and the damage this could cause to public health, saying: “At a time like this, when the world is facing an unprecedented health and economic crisis, it’s distressing that there are ­people spreading misinformation when we should all be looking for ways to collaborate and save lives. Right now, one of the best things we can do to stop the spread of COVID-19 is spread the facts.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the airliners that bother me, especially when their contrails cross.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same thing happened to a mate of mine. Hoax this, 5G that, etc etc., endless links to youtube clips and facebook rants.

The world has, in part, gone mad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Q said:

Ah That explains Trump, I'd classify him as a reptile ..

Definitely cold-blooded

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The Q said:

Ah That explains Trump, I'd classify him as a reptile ..

Alien?  Escaped from a far far away mental institution?  It would explain some things....  Do the wardens come down in a flying saucer,  theremins wailing and whisk him away with an apology and an unsettling warning?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There used to be a news weatherman named Scot something who ran a site called weatherwars.info or something. H showed how every "unusual" cloud formation was a proof of "gridding" and "EM Strikes" and that all weather was controlled by the Ruskies and the U.S. government.

I actually emailed him to point out that some of his "strike" photos were actually classic cases of airliners passing through a cloud deck, causing the cloud there to precipitate out in an elipse. He both aknowledged the truth of what I said while also completely not unsupporting his whole thesis. I just gave up and walked away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

There used to be a news weatherman named Scot something who ran a site called weatherwars.info or something. H showed how every "unusual" cloud formation was a proof of "gridding" and "EM Strikes" and that all weather was controlled by the Ruskies and the U.S. government.

I actually emailed him to point out that some of his "strike" photos were actually classic cases of airliners passing through a cloud deck, causing the cloud there to precipitate out in an elipse. He both aknowledged the truth of what I said while also completely not unsupporting his whole thesis. I just gave up and walked away.

I'm not saying you're wrong....

 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-frequency_Active_Auroral_Research_Program

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few hundred years ago they'd have been burning witches by now... (please don't tell the orange one or he might get ideas)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Q said:

A few hundred years ago they'd have been burning witches by now... (please don't tell the orange one or he might get ideas)

I think for years we've believed that that level of ignorance and irrationality was a thing of the past. We forgot that fear is very much in our present.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to randoms wife’s world Meli!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Welcome to randoms wife’s world Meli!

Yeah but he's always been a nutter :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, The Q said:

A few hundred years ago they'd have been burning witches by now... (please don't tell the orange one or he might get ideas)

Isn’t it great that we’ve made 0 progress since the 1620’s?  Jesus fucking Christ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Amati said:

Isn’t it great that we’ve made 0 progress since the 1620’s?  Jesus fucking Christ....

No he was around from 0 ish for the next 33 years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Amati said:

Isn’t it great that we’ve made 0 progress since the 1620’s?  Jesus fucking Christ....

1620's. LOL

Humans haven't changed significantly in ~180,000 last I read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

1620's. LOL

Humans haven't changed significantly in ~180,000 last I read.

Then culture and science are pointless?  Blips on the killing fields?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hill and Knowlton advertising firm has been hired by the WHO to sell you on the pandemic story. That is the same firm that sold you the fake story about throwing babies out of incubators, supporting the invasion of Iraq.  https://www.corbettreport.com/who-cares-what-celebrities-think-propagandawatch/

A virus is a microscopic particle.  So small that it can't be photographed.  It is not alive.  The germ/bacteria theory does not apply.  Something that was never alive can not live on a surface for 20 minutes, but you could find plenty of bacteria on your face diaper.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Amati said:

Then culture and science are pointless?  Blips on the killing fields?

Possibly?  You view the identical human to you as inferior.  What will the human in 400 years view you as?  Or 1000 years?  You might be viewed as little more than a hairless ape with your primitive tools and barbaric culture.  Who knows?

I'm not saying this as fact, but this might not be the first time either.  In a couple of generations we went from horseback to space travel.  Might happened before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

Possibly?  You view the identical human to you as inferior.  What will the human in 400 years view you as?  Or 1000 years?  You might be viewed as little more than a hairless ape with your primitive tools and barbaric culture.  Who knows?

I'm not saying this as fact, but this might not be the first time either.  In a couple of generations we went from horseback to space travel.  Might happened before.

It was a question to you, not a statement of my beliefs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Amati said:

It was a question to you, not a statement of my beliefs.  

Then no.  Because you said we haven't changed, and that is correct.  Because we are the same humans.  Same reptilian brain underneath that mammalian brain, underneath the primate brain, underneath the human brain.

 

Take away a full stomach, that reptilian brain takes over pretty immediately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Some day, we are going to look back at the internet and talk about it the same way we talk about smoking today."

- Patton Oswalt, but could have been some other Stand-up comic I saw on Netflix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teener said:

"Some day, we are going to look back at the internet and talk about it the same way we talk about smoking today."

- Patton Oswalt, but could have been some other Stand-up comic I saw on Netflix

internet or social media or dark web?

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. The internet is incredibly powerful and useful, just because some humans utilise it for bad doesn't negate that it can be used for incredible good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

Then no.  Because you said we haven't changed, and that is correct.  Because we are the same humans.  Same reptilian brain underneath that mammalian brain, underneath the primate brain, underneath the human brain.

 

Take away a full stomach, that reptilian brain takes over pretty immediately.

Trump’s genius in a nutshell.  Except the need for his father’s love, which is mammalian.  Another golden age shot to hell.  Why are you even alive, Hatin’ Life?  Hate?  The joy of destruction?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amati said:

Trump’s genius in a nutshell.  Except the need for his father’s love, which is mammalian.  Another golden age shot to hell.  Why are you even alive, Hatin’ Life?  Hate?  The joy of destruction?

 

He's not the only one visiting these boards with a low opinion of the majority of the population....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

He's not the only one visiting these boards with a low opinion of the majority of the population....

William Gibson did say something to the effect that the future appears some places before others- say BC?  Question is, can an island keep that flame alive in a sea of madness?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, david r said:

Hill and Knowlton advertising firm has been hired by the WHO to sell you on the pandemic story. That is the same firm that sold you the fake story about throwing babies out of incubators, supporting the invasion of Iraq.  https://www.corbettreport.com/who-cares-what-celebrities-think-propagandawatch/

Advertising is nearly by definition amoral. Did they know it was fake when they sold it? Does not automatically invalidate the motive or truthfulness of those that hire them. Bad "optics"? Absolutely.

10 hours ago, david r said:

A virus is a microscopic particle.  So small that it can't be photographed.  It is not alive.  The germ/bacteria theory does not apply.  Something that was never alive can not live on a surface for 20 minutes, but you could find plenty of bacteria on your face diaper.

??really?? Sarin isn't alive either, but it will for sure fuck you up after being on a surface for 20 minutes. However sarin won't conscript your body to make copies of itself.

Plenty of living and non-living systems are well modeled by exponential growth, including "germs/bacteria", viruses, nuclear fission-"chain-reactions" of all kinds.

Back to school for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amati said:

William Gibson did say something to the effect that the future appears some places before others- say BC?  Question is, can an island keep that flame alive in a sea of madness?

The island can do what it wants.

Don't expect it's inhabitants to all remain unscathed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard a guy on the radio today explaining how science is just a very limited set of tools for looking at things, and the fact that science can't find any evidence of god is just an example of the limitations of the toolset.  

I have a good friend who is anti-vax, anti-5G and so on.  I almost posted a response to an anti-cell tower rant he shared, but decided not to. 

The rise of conspiracy theories and the cults that follow them are a natural consequence of the internet and the post-truth era IMHO.  One could argue that organized religions are a kind of conspiracy theory cult.  It is going to get much worse, and it is not going to get better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rain Man said:

 

I have a good friend who is anti-vax, anti-5G and so on.  I almost posted a response to an anti-cell tower rant he shared, but decided not to. 

The rise of conspiracy theories and the cults that follow them are a natural consequence of the internet and the post-truth era IMHO.  One could argue that organized religions are a kind of conspiracy theory cult.  It is going to get much worse, and it is not going to get better. 

Has he always been like that or did he have a Damascus moment?

How do you cope, just agree to disagree and leave it at that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

Has he always been like that or did he have a Damascus moment?

How do you cope, just agree to disagree and leave it at that?

I knew him for several years before finding out he was an anti-vaxxer so I can't really say for sure.  l treat him like my friends that have different political views - I don't get into it with him.  If I call him on it, it will likely end the friendship.  We do agree at the political level, just not about anti-vax etc.  I just don't comment on the stuff he posts. 

It will be interesting if a vaccine appears.  He has kids and it is very likely that schools here will require it for attendance.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Amati said:

Trump’s genius in a nutshell.  Except the need for his father’s love, which is mammalian.  Another golden age shot to hell.  Why are you even alive, Hatin’ Life?  Hate?  The joy of destruction?

 

 

Donald Trump is no genius on any level or facet.  I think you are being a bit generous.

Golden age shot to hell?  What made this a golden age?  Free internet porn?  Bombing and constant conflict?  Constriction of governance? Genocide?  Starvation?  The expansion of virtue signaling?  Cancel culture

Same reason why any of us are alive?  My two parents screwed, I was born, and I haven't died yet?  Or do you mean on a fundamental level?  Something beyond the Maslow hierarchy of needs?  I wake up to do my job.

People like to think they are somehow different than other animals.  The only thing that I am aware of that makes you different, is you understand you are mortal.  You are the primate that knows it knows.  The rest of this shit is just pretending.  You need shelter, food, and to multiply.  Those are the only things hardwired into you.  Everything past that, has been made up and has been a moving target throughout our existence as a specie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hatin' life said:

 

Donald Trump is no genius on any level or facet.  I think you are being a bit generous.

Golden age shot to hell?  What made this a golden age?  Free internet porn?  Bombing and constant conflict?  Constriction of governance? Genocide?  Starvation?  The expansion of virtue signaling?  Cancel culture

Same reason why any of us are alive?  My two parents screwed, I was born, and I haven't died yet?  Or do you mean on a fundamental level?  Something beyond the Maslow hierarchy of needs?  I wake up to do my job.

People like to think they are somehow different than other animals.  The only thing that I am aware of that makes you different, is you understand you are mortal.  You are the primate that knows it knows.  The rest of this shit is just pretending.  You need shelter, food, and to multiply.  Those are the only things hardwired into you.  Everything past that, has been made up and has been a moving target throughout our existence as a specie.

You don't think other animals are pissed because we got free porn? And opposing thumbs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ease the sheet. said:

You don't think other animals are pissed because we got free porn? And opposing thumbs?

LOL

Thumbs are likely a coin toss.  Most do fine.

Porn though, there's likely some outrage.  I would be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 5:59 AM, Ease the sheet. said:

You don't think other animals are pissed because we got free porn? And opposing thumbs?

No, humans are the only ones hiding behind clothes and shyness. The other species have no need for porn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 3:27 AM, david r said:

 

A virus is a microscopic particle.  So small that it can't be photographed.  It is not alive.  

The 6500 people around the world who the virus took today are not alive either. Well not anymore. And how about those moon landing hey?

Why don’t you tell the 6500 families that are morning the death of a loved one today about your theory? I am sure plenty of them would be happy to give you the smack in the head you so richly deserve, you ignorant cunt.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LB 15 said:

The 6500 people around the world who the virus took today are not alive either. Well not anymore. And how about those moon landing hey?

Why don’t you tell the 6500 families that are morning the death of a loved one today about your theory? I am sure plenty of them would be happy to give you the smack in the head you so richly deserve, you ignorant cunt.

Why aren't you whinging about the other 160,000 people that will die today, and tomorrow, and the day after that, and after that, and after that, and after that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hawke said:

15,000 children die a day from malnutrition.  Happening now, happened last year, the year before that and......

And if cunts like you cared ?

Trouble is that thousands of "not American" children are also dying from the untruths and lack of generosity and armchair conspiracy theories  that people like you nurture.

You think people in less wealthy countries don't have access to the American idiots on the internet?

If educated people believe the poo pooing of the antivaxers and anti maskers what hope is their for those who are literally dying for an excuse to keep working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hawke said:

I don't subscribe to any conspiracy theories let alone nurture any.

Just lack of generosity then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hawke said:

15,000 children die a day from malnutrition.  Happening now, happened last year, the year before that and......

When covid hits, those fuckers will wish the were hungry....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

Why aren't you whinging about the other 160,000 people that will die today, and tomorrow, and the day after that, and after that, and after that, and after that?

You are right of course-  what is the big deal about a few thousand more preventable deaths? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course you would. Most morons do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawke said:

Right so all they countries that have Covid-19 could have prevented deaths.  Pray tell how.

Ask your prime minister.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

You are right of course-  what is the big deal about a few thousand more preventable deaths? 

 

Just shows you being full of shit, because you didn't care, until it was popular to do so.

Or were you just waiting for your moment of bravery for the world?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

Just shows you being full of shit, because you didn't care, until it was popular to do so.

Or were you just waiting for your moment of bravery for the world?

That's bullshit actually. LB was in Italy when this first broke and self isolated as soon as he got home.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hawke said:

Right so all they countries that have Covid-19 could have prevented deaths.  Pray tell how.

are you seriously asking how one prevents more people dying than have to?

Ask a New York doctor or nurse about PPE and over run hospitals. Ask an Ambo in Wuhan.

People who could have recovered died in their thousands for want of good leadership and the resultant overwhelming of the medical facilities..ask a recently bereft  Italian why his healthy 65 year old grandma died.

 

BTW, "pray tell" is an expression best left to Jane Austen. wanker.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2020 at 12:29 AM, Dark Cloud said:

Same thing happened to a mate of mine. Hoax this, 5G that, etc etc., endless links to youtube clips and facebook rants.

The world has, in part, gone mad.

I admitted being mad years ago, it helps. :blink::P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Shortforbob said:

That's bullshit actually. LB was in Italy when this first broke and self isolated as soon as he got home.

Oh, but where was the hand wringing of all the deaths prior to that?

I bullshit, your bullshit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

Oh, but where was the hand wringing of all the deaths prior to that?

I bullshit, your bullshit.

:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

Oh, but where was the hand wringing of all the deaths prior to that?

I bullshit, your bullshit.

What went so wrong in your life for you to become such a bitter cock smoker?

Did your wife leave you/ truck broke down/dog died/best friend jump off a bridge/scout master make to touch his nasty?

You should write a song about it and release it on 8 track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

What went so wrong in your life for you to become such a bitter cock smoker?

Did your wife leave you/ truck broke down/dog died/best friend jump off a bridge/scout master make to touch his nasty?

You should write a song about it and release it on 8 track.



Your projections, while flattering, don't hold true.  While I'm sure you'd enjoy listening to a blank 8 track full of static for the message, you'll be left wanting.

This is way better than your other attempt, still a might dry.

 

So, where was your pants pissing over any of the other ailments and issues that causes 60,000,000 million of your fellow man to perish each year?  Or are you just full of shit, and decided to jump on this latest of bandwagons so you can tell yourself what a glorious and fine example human you are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hatin' life said:

60,000,000 million

60 million million is a big number

IFR = 1.4%

World population = 7.8 billion

Projected deaths = 109.2 million

Lots of assumptions, 100% infection of population(not a big stretch). It excludes any affects of populations that are susceptible to desease being hit harder than the stated IFR. Considering the "greatest country in the world" is currently being dominated by Covid, greater IFR could be reasonably expected in such populations.

Big numbers multiplied by smal percentages result in big numbers.

 

Jesus Christ, I broke my rule of engaging the mathematically illiterate fools on here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hawke said:

The global mortality rate is 0.91% = 70 million people die a year.

I'm not sure where you get an IFR of 1.4% from.  The actual IFR of Covid-19 is unlikely to ever be known due to the difficulty in removing the impact of interventions from data however the global research consensus is that it will be way less than 1.4%.

The current IFR is skewed by a bias towards testing those with symptoms first.

For 75% of the population the Covid-19 IFR is around 0.03%.

So riddle me this- what is the magic number of deaths that would make preventions necessary that might inconvenience you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hatin' life said:



Your projections, while flattering, don't hold true.  While I'm sure you'd enjoy listening to a blank 8 track full of static for the message, you'll be left wanting.

This is way better than your other attempt, still a might dry.

 

So, where was your pants pissing over any of the other ailments and issues that causes 60,000,000 million of your fellow man to perish each year?  Or are you just full of shit, and decided to jump on this latest of bandwagons so you can tell yourself what a glorious and fine example human you are?

The difference is you can’t prevent any of the 60 million non- covid deaths by wearing a face mask. Stay away from 5G and you will be fine. Do they make tin foil masks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Can you translate that into better English?

Into Kiwi? Sure. So bro, how many cuz gotta die before it is like serious bro? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what is the tipping point number?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ncik said:

60 million million is a big number

IFR = 1.4%

World population = 7.8 billion

Projected deaths = 109.2 million

Lots of assumptions, 100% infection of population(not a big stretch). It excludes any affects of populations that are susceptible to desease being hit harder than the stated IFR. Considering the "greatest country in the world" is currently being dominated by Covid, greater IFR could be reasonably expected in such populations.

Big numbers multiplied by smal percentages result in big numbers.

 

Jesus Christ, I broke my rule of engaging the mathematically illiterate fools on here.

Typo, sorry bout that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

So riddle me this- what is the magic number of deaths that would make preventions necessary that might inconvenience you?

All of them.  I don't care.  But I'm wondering why the make believers want us to make believe they care, when they don't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

The difference is you can’t prevent any of the 60 million non- covid deaths by wearing a face mask. Stay away from 5G and you will be fine. Do they make tin foil masks?

So none of the other non-covid deaths are preventable through transmission blocked by a mask?

None of them....  hmmm, me thinks your shit cup runneth over.

So why only the covid deaths bother your delicate needs for human life?  Why are all other cast aside?  

 

You can reword that if you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hawke said:

Who said it wasn't serious?  But alarmist views are not helping nor is the politicisation of the pandemic.

More HAVE died of HIV than WILL die of Covid-19.

Come on princess stop ducking. 60 m people die each year (yes people do die, and thank god they do, otherwise the crowds at Bunnings would be punishing) and covid has ‘only’ killed 650k. If 650k lives is not worth shutting down the economy for (in your little mind anyway), then how many need to die of the virus for it to be worth making you stay at home in your mother’s basement? Come on there must be a number surly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Hawke said:

Who said it wasn't serious?  But alarmist views are not helping nor is the politicisation of the pandemic.

More HAVE died of HIV than WILL die of Covid-19.

Poofs lives matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hatin' life said:

I am a sad little man who has never achieved anything more in life that body odour. I have suppressed my homosexuality all my life because my redneck family would disown me for liking dick. The resulting anger issues cause me to act like a cunt anonymously  on Internet forums.

You can reword that if you like.

Ok, thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hawke said:

The global mortality rate is 0.91% = 70 million people die a year.

I'm not sure where you get an IFR of 1.4% from.  The actual IFR of Covid-19 is unlikely to ever be known due to the difficulty in removing the impact of interventions from data however the global research consensus is that it will be way less than 1.4%.

The current IFR is skewed by a bias towards testing those with symptoms first.

For 75% of the population the Covid-19 IFR is around 0.03%.

im not sure you know what ifr means, let alone what its value is....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hawke said:

IFR = Infection Fatality Rate.  The % of people with a confirmed infection who die divided by the total number of confirmed infections.

Is that good enough for you?

Do you guys have google in NZ now? BTW I see the poll out today has Saint Jucinta piano mouth winning 77 seats at the next election. A rare absolute majority. 

How do you like your Crow? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question related to the original topic. I have recently heard a few people, one first hand,  more anecdotally opine that the virus will magically disappear after the US election. There is a suggestion that the whole thing is some kind of political hit job engineered to remove the current occupant of the white house. I guess this idea is doing the rounds. Google suggests that one of trumps offspring first suggested this nugget of shit back in May.

During my conversation where I heard this in person I was too stunned to engage at the time, so maybe you all can help. What the fuck is the next logical step in believing this one ?

Do these people that all these sick and dead people aren't real ?

Are they real and just getting sick and dying purely to make the current administration look bad ?

If this is a global hoax, who the fuck is running it ?

If the president is so amazing, how come there are so many people who can't see his obvious qualities and are trying so hard to discredit his ?

I'm baffled, help me out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, V21 said:

I'm baffled, help me out.

I have met a few of those people.

I get copied in to the emails of a few clubs and one of the Secretaries routinely sends members ant-Trump stuff.  Been watching this for a year or so, then the guy needed to call me about something and before he hung up I asked him about it, asked if any of the members arc up about what he is doing.

"Yes of course some do, I love sticking it to them!" 

What a Legend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hawke said:

IFR = Infection Fatality Rate.  The % of people with a confirmed infection who die divided by the total number of confirmed infections.

Is that good enough for you?

You really do have no idea, do you?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, V21 said:

I have a question related to the original topic. I have recently heard a few people, one first hand,  more anecdotally opine that the virus will magically disappear after the US election. There is a suggestion that the whole thing is some kind of political hit job engineered to remove the current occupant of the white house. I guess this idea is doing the rounds. Google suggests that one of trumps offspring first suggested this nugget of shit back in May.

During my conversation where I heard this in person I was too stunned to engage at the time, so maybe you all can help. What the fuck is the next logical step in believing this one ?

Do these people that all these sick and dead people aren't real ?

Are they real and just getting sick and dying purely to make the current administration look bad ?

If this is a global hoax, who the fuck is running it ?

If the president is so amazing, how come there are so many people who can't see his obvious qualities and are trying so hard to discredit his ?

I'm baffled, help me out.

apparently bill gates and antony fauci are in cahoots with other billionairs to insert tiny microchips in the vacine that will control our minds and also make them even more billions. Elon Musk is pissed because he hasnt been invited to this club.

Lizard people are behind it.

Baffle away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Ok, thanks.

See, now that is a little funny.  More of your fantasies coming to light, but I accept you for who you are.  Some day I hope you can accept you.

 

As long as you're okay with the other sixty million people dying, we're good.  Your unwillingness to discuss it shows your true thoughts.  Just don't delude yourself into thinking anyone else believes your illusion.  Lying to yourself is fine, but it's boring when you lie to everyone else

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

Oh, but where was the hand wringing of all the deaths prior to that?

I bullshit, your bullshit.

Which people are dying?    Are they poor people with malaria?   They always die.   Are they refugees we kind of blame because their country is caught in civil war and they ‘did it to themselves’?    This time it’s family dying and spouses unable to bring home an income.  

People we know are real.   People we might have bumped into on vacation somewhere are almost important.   Strangers we cannot identify with matter less then adorable puppies at the local shelter.    That doesn’t make COVID less of a problem as Hawke or Wolf argue.   It just makes us hypocritical as we talk about the importance of human life when we mean family and friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, V21 said:

I have a question related to the original topic. I have recently heard a few people, one first hand,  more anecdotally opine that the virus will magically disappear after the US election. There is a suggestion that the whole thing is some kind of political hit job engineered to remove the current occupant of the white house. I guess this idea is doing the rounds. Google suggests that one of trumps offspring first suggested this nugget of shit back in May.

During my conversation where I heard this in person I was too stunned to engage at the time, so maybe you all can help. What the fuck is the next logical step in believing this one ?

Do these people that all these sick and dead people aren't real ?

Are they real and just getting sick and dying purely to make the current administration look bad ?

If this is a global hoax, who the fuck is running it ?

If the president is so amazing, how come there are so many people who can't see his obvious qualities and are trying so hard to discredit his ?

I'm baffled, help me out.

Not a hoax, but overplayed in my opinion.  I first figured it was just the advertising whores were just using it to sell shit.

Time will tell, but I'd bet a small amount of money that six months from now the USA's infatuation will drop to not much.  Whether from just being bored with the subject, or it not being pushed, I don't know.  Trump is an idiot, but up until the last few months I would've guessed he had next election in the bag.  Shapiro was on Rogan recently.  He made the valid explanation that Trump didn't win in 2016, just everybody hated Clinton that much.  This election will be a likely scenario where Biden won't win, but Trump will lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hatin' life said:

Not a hoax, but overplayed in my opinion.  I first figured it was just the advertising whores were just using it to sell shit.

Time will tell, but I'd bet a small amount of money that six months from now the USA's infatuation will drop to not much.  Whether from just being bored with the subject, or it not being pushed, I don't know.  Trump is an idiot, but up until the last few months I would've guessed he had next election in the bag.  Shapiro was on Rogan recently.  He made the valid explanation that Trump didn't win in 2016, just everybody hated Clinton that much.  This election will be a likely scenario where Biden won't win, but Trump will lose.

I'm kind of with you at this point. I have maintained for a while that society will write the losses off as acceptable, ignore it and carry on as we do with lifestyle diseases, car wrecks, school shootings etc, etc. I guess when that happens is up to the cable news channels to a point. 

Maybe the point these people were trying to make is that the news coverage will keep covid front and center until after the election, then it will magically disappear from our TV screens, that doesn't seem to far fetched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, V21 said:

Maybe the point these people were trying to make is that the news coverage will keep covid front and center until after the election, then it will magically disappear from our TV screens, that doesn't seem to far fetched.

cause the rest of the world has stopped reporting on covid.  mmhmm.  

you fucking morons still don't get that it is impossible to stay on the bullshit path when there are 199 other countries who have figured out that bullshit doesn't stop diseases.  Only those who are incapable of reading news from anywhere besides Fox or OANN are able to keep on keepin' on.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hatin' life said:

I'd bet a small amount of money that six months from now the USA's infatuation will drop to not much. 

has it dropped to 'not much' in all the countries that have no major elections this year?  Has it dropped to 'not much' in New Zealand, which has zero new cases?  What are they talking about in the news today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

cause the rest of the world has stopped reporting on covid.  mmhmm.  

you fucking morons still don't get that it is impossible to stay on the bullshit path when there are 199 other countries who have figured out that bullshit doesn't stop diseases.  Only those who are incapable of reading news from anywhere besides Fox or OANN are able to keep on keepin' on.  

"Only those who are incapable of reading news from anywhere besides Fox or OANN are able to keep on keepin' on". I think these are the people we are discussing, I seem to be fairly well surrounded by those fairly well stuck on the bullshit path, in my experience ( as a foreigner residing in the deep south ) knowledge of the outside world is damn near non existent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

has it dropped to 'not much' in all the countries that have no major elections this year?  Has it dropped to 'not much' in New Zealand, which has zero new cases?  What are they talking about in the news today?

Hence I'd bet a small amount of money.

I don't know what is on their news, I don't intentionally watch our news, it's always by accident.  I read articles on the load page of Google, and whatever pops up here.  I wonder what is on China's news?  That would be entertaining, I'd bet more on that.

And whether we like it or not, we do tend to push our social bs into the rest of the world, good or bad.  Is that a factor?  No idea, but it shouldn't be dismissed either.

My gut tells me it's being pushed pretty hard though.  Whether it's justified, for selling stuff, or something nefarious, I have no fucking clue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, V21 said:

I'm kind of with you at this point. I have maintained for a while that society will write the losses off as acceptable, ignore it and carry on as we do with lifestyle diseases, car wrecks, school shootings etc, etc. I guess when that happens is up to the cable news channels to a point. 

Maybe the point these people were trying to make is that the news coverage will keep covid front and center until after the election, then it will magically disappear from our TV screens, that doesn't seem to far fetched.

And on the other hand, if the 40% of the US population that either thinks it is overblown, a conspiracy or will just go away, simply stop using masks, hygiene, spacing etc and magically the toll starts going nuts, towards the magic 3 million mark, then it wont be off the screens at all. And there will be an awfully large amount of mayhem to go with it.

That is the realistic proposition - this will be worse in fall regardless. If the 40% dont wise up, it will be far far worse than it needs to be.

BTW - should postal voting be allowed, or does everyone have to front up and vote - the virus will only be more of a isolation problem than it is now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites