Sign in to follow this  
svitale

U.S. boats ignoring Canada’s border closure

Found this in the Washington Post updates

U.S. pleasure boats are ignoring Canada’s border closure, frustrated boaters say

Earlier this summer, Bill Wilson’s friends began telling him they’d spotted boats with American flags cruising through the pristine waters around British Columbia’s Vancouver Island. With its rugged, unspoiled coastline, the island’s inner passage is a dream trip for many recreational boaters, particularly those in nearby Seattle. And although the alarming rate of coronavirus infections in the United States had prompted Canada to close its borders, some boaters were showing up anyway.

Wilson, who heads a coalition of the region’s yacht clubs, sent a letter to all 10,000 members and asked them to let him know if they saw U.S. pleasure boats. Soon, he told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp., he was receiving two or three emails a day.

Given the increasingly dire state of the U.S. outbreak — which has recently worsened in Washington state — and British Columbia’s success at containing the virus’s spread, Canadian boaters were not thrilled to see their U.S. counterparts showing up at marinas and staying for days.

A group of frustrated retirees began monitoring MarineTraffic, a website that tracks commercial ships and large private yachts. Over a month, they spotted roughly 100 American-flagged pleasure boats that appeared to be flagrantly disregarding the border shutdown, the Vancouver Sun reported.

Under the “Alaska loophole,” Americans are allowed to travel through Canada if they’re returning to Alaska. But many Canadians believe that exception is being abused.

“A lot of these boats appear to be crossing the border and then taking their time and enjoying cruising in Canadian waters,” Wilson told the CBC, noting that one cleared customs and headed north, only to be found moored in a scenic spot off the east coast of Vancouver Island two weeks later.

“That doesn’t sound to me like going to Alaska,” he said.

3 minutes ago, SeattleB said:

If they stay on the water and don't go ashore I fail to see the problem.  

Somehow I don’t think people who believe they can ignore the Canadian gov’s rules can be relied on to obey any rules re distancing. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, SeattleB said:

sorry, the border is closed....

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, SeattleB said:

The problem is a lack of respect for another nation's rules and laws. Don't be a dick. Stay on the US side until Canada says it's okay to go. Plenty of lovely islands on the US side too.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, SeattleB said:

The border doesn't start at the high tide line. Our citizens are violating Canadian sovereignty and it's flat-out wrong.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, IStream said:

The problem is a lack of respect for another nation's rules and laws. Don't be a dick. Stay on the US side until Canada says it's okay to go. Plenty of lovely islands on the US side too.

“Rules don’t apply to me - Canada isn’t a real country! I make my own rules with my own judgment!”

14 minutes ago, Ajax said:

The border doesn't start at the high tide line. Our citizens are violating Canadian sovereignty and it's flat-out wrong.

sovereignty unenforced is an invitation.  Maybe canada's coast guard should do some fucking work. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

sovereignty unenforced is an invitation.  Maybe canada's coast guard should do some fucking work. 

Or maybe remembering the Pig War in that part of the world the wisdom of cooler heads....

23 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

We're not talking about Russia annexing Crimea. We're talking about the U.S. and Canada who have close, respectful relations.  Should Canada be concerned about enforcing their sovereignty from us?? Sure, the Canadian Coast Guard could do some work but I'd prefer my own brothers and sisters be respectful and obey their laws.

I don't visit Italy, steal shit and justify it with "laws unenforced are an invitation. Maybe Italian cops should do some fucking work."

• Like 3

Not to mention if the Canadians start roughing up some cupcake trumpets, they’ll be spitting and crying about seized boats then a tangerine is going to cry foul and going to threaten to pull out of another treaty or blah blah blah. 

very normal times we live in

I believe our Canadian coast guard is focused on marine search and rescue, and safety on the water, rather then border security.

I'm guessing our Canadian border services have a marine division, for enforcement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That sounds awfully 'American', we do some good work up here. Keeping stupid people out of marinas sounds like a lot of effort given the investment we make in training the Coast Guard. 

10 minutes ago, crankcall said:

That sounds awfully 'American'

Maybe you should clean out your ears.  It's from the European Security and Defense Union, a non-political european NGO that includes lots of UN and EU officials.

If you don't keep Americans out, they will infect all your meese.

53 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Should Canada be concerned about enforcing their sovereignty from us??

while we are a disease-infested shithole?  Probably would be best for their citizens.

• Like 1

As an American president once said, "trust but verify" ;)

4 hours ago, SeattleB said:

Thanks SeattleB, but I don't believe Canada asked for your opinion.  Apparently you're part of the problem if you wish to discredit another country's rights and privileges within their boundaries...

The great lakes is another area of concern then.    Its easy to stray across the boarder in a benign fashion, even though there is no intention of anchoring or docking in Canadian territory.   The risk to Canadian health is no greater then the risk of virus blowing across the Detroit river, but I suppose that isn't the  point.   

22 minutes ago, Lark said:

The great lakes is another area of concern then.    Its easy to stray across the boarder in a benign fashion, even though there is no intention of anchoring or docking in Canadian territory.   The risk to Canadian health is no greater then the risk of virus blowing across the Detroit river, but I suppose that isn't the  point.   

Virus is not the only thing that can blow across the river.

1500 U.S. partiers wash up in Canada, blown across St. Clair River

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lark said:

The folks in BC are not worried about Americans straying into Canadian waters...they probably are not even worried about true "passage to Alaska" types. They are worried about the folks who are anchored near one of Canada's largest cities two weeks after they were "on passage"...its possible these folks never got off their boat. But if they lied about "being on passage" should you trust the rest of their behaviour?

• Like 2

Just now, KC375 said:

Virus is not the only thing that can blow across the river.

1500 U.S. partiers wash up in Canada, blown across St. Clair River

Fortunately that was pre covid, it would be a significant risk for Canadian rescuers.

I agree many I know would lie to Canadian government out of sport.   Since nobody takes two weeks of vacation to quarantine prior to their vacation, Canada also has the inevitable need of caring for American medical emergencies as vacationers break with respiratory disease after departure.   They surely don't want to waste their resources preventing hypoxia injury in previously brain damaged American boaters.

• Like 1

Can someone explain to me how just crossing the imaginary line in the lake I can get Covid? I mean I understand if I get off the boat and go on land I might have a chance to get it but........ Do I have to worry about a west wind here in Sarnia so that I don't get it standing outside from Port Huron?

5 hours ago, IStream said:

And things are spiking here too, from visitors...and to think we were doing well there for a while.  Now it’s ~ 60% maskIng?:blink:  

10 minutes ago, Peacefrog said:

Can someone explain to me how just crossing the imaginary line in the lake I can get Covid? I mean I understand if I get off the boat and go on land I might have a chance to get it but........ Do I have to worry about a west wind here in Sarnia so that I don't get it standing outside from Port Huron?

They don't care if you can get covid or not - they just don't want Americans challenging border rules when the border is shut down - if they let it go, it is only a matter of time before someone lands. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peacefrog said:

Yes. <_<

17 minutes ago, Lark said:

Fortunately that was pre covid, it would be a significant risk for Canadian rescuers.

I agree many I know would lie to Canadian government out of sport.  

According to Mary Trump, lying is Sport for her famous brother.  ^^^^^ kind of explains how Our Beautiful President came to be elected, nicht war?

Speaking of Crimea, does nobody remember the advance infiltration of clandestine troops in civilian attire?  

Just yesterday, the Great Cheeto was babbling about "Beautiful World Wars!"  

None of these things are related in any way.

As far as you know.

4 hours ago, crankcall said:

That sounds awfully 'American', we do some good work up here. Keeping stupid people out of marinas sounds like a lot of effort given the investment we make in training the Coast Guard. 

Ok fine. Let in a bunch of plague-bearing morons that refuse to wear masks and see what happens.  

5 hours ago, Ajax said:

We're not talking about Russia annexing Crimea. We're talking about the U.S. and Canada who have close, respectful relations.  Should Canada be concerned about enforcing their sovereignty from us?? Sure, the Canadian Coast Guard could do some work but I'd prefer my own brothers and sisters be respectful and obey their laws.

I don't visit Italy, steal shit and justify it with "laws unenforced are an invitation. Maybe Italian cops should do some fucking work."

If you ran into the hot girl from band camp a year later and she had track marks, loose teeth, sunken cheeks and some impressive cold sores and wanted to party, would you take her up on it just because she gave you a hand job behind the boat house last summer or would you pass?

Just because Americans and Canadians have been close in the past, doesn't mean the Canadians want our skanky, plagued people in their country right now. 

6 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

That's not what Canada's Coast Guard is for. 

• Like 1

Sorry.  What is the Canadian agency that guards the maritime border from possibly diseased invaders?

35 minutes ago, Clove Hitch said:

If you ran into the hot girl from band camp a year later and she had track marks, loose teeth, sunken cheeks and some impressive cold sores and wanted to party, would you take her up on it just because she gave you a hand job behind the boat house last summer or would you pass?

Just because Americans and Canadians have been close in the past, doesn't mean the Canadians want our skanky, plagued people in their country right now. 

Maybe I chose my words poorly and muddled my meaning- I support Canada's current policies and I respect their sovereignty. I do NOT agree with US citizens violating their border or abusing the "transit" exception no matter how harmless it may seem.

I hope that's clear now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ajax said:

Maybe I chose my words poorly and muddled my meaning- I support Canada's current policies and I respect their sovereignty. I do NOT agree with US citizens violating their border or abusing the "transit" exception no matter how harmless it may seem.

I hope that's clear now.

Ok. Gotcha!

For the Americans who think this is not a big deal, let's consider an imaginary world, some may say a fairy tale world...

There is a pandemic raging around the world; but the USA have escaped the worst of the situation and is for the most part, free of the disease. On the other hand Canada is struggling with exponential growth of cases and deaths... Consequently, the USA has closed their borders with Canada and do not allow travellers from "up North".

Despite all of that, some Canadian sailors do not take this ban very seriously and decide to sail South of the border, into Puget Sound...

What do you think the reaction of the US authorities would be?

What would be YOUR opinion of those pesky Canadian sailors???

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Sorry.  What is the Canadian agency that guards the maritime border from possibly diseased invaders?

CBSA

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

The CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency). They have some big RIB patrol boats for water-based patrols, and lots of SUVs for land-based patrols (they'll turn up and walk the docks). I've seen them down at our marina lots more this year than in past years. So apparently they are indeed working on stepped-up enforcement.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SeattleB said:

I'm sure if a Mexican yacht crossed into California without following the rules, you would feel the same way. Sure.

To my Canadian friends, most of my countrymen are cool, but the loud assholes are getting all the attention.  Canada is my adopted country and I'm very impressed and proud of the way they have handled this whole deal. 

There is a 65 foot yacht here in my marina. For the last three days, they have had 12-18 young people partying, they go out, come back, shake hands, hug each other and stumble out without any face covering.  I was BBQing and one of the kids asked me "whats for dinner?" I said, "looks like Coronavirus." They mocked me.

9 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

maybe you should just follow the fucking rules

• Like 1

I understand that US boaters are not able to get licenses for fishing or shellfish gathering.  That's one of the main reasons to do the BC coast.  

I hope that those that try will be keel-hauled.

50 minutes ago, basketcase said:

maybe you should just follow the fucking rules

I do, and am disgusted at my countrymen who don't. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, krikkitman said:

The CBSA (Canadian Border Services Agency). They have some big RIB patrol boats for water-based patrols, and lots of SUVs for land-based patrols (they'll turn up and walk the docks). I've seen them down at our marina lots more this year than in past years. So apparently they are indeed working on stepped-up enforcement.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

cheers krikkit

14 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

You will never ;) get ;) ahead ;) with ;) that ;) kind <_< of ;) attitude ;).  I grew up surrounded by the John Birch Society.  I know these things.:)  These are evident ;) American ;) values. ;)

:lol:

12 hours ago, Ajax said:

Americans steal and traffic in Italy's treasures and masterpieces ? That would never happen.  Oh Wait!   https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/sep/27/usa.arts

Yeah its the Italian cops fault or the Canadian customs......certainly cant blame our values or lack of moral fiber. We are a nation of the highest standards as represented by electing a leader of the highest moral compass.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

How can we MAGA if we follow rules and respect other countries' laws.

I mean honestly, its not like we follow our own laws....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, no shoes said:

I'm sure if a Mexican yacht crossed into California without following the rules, you would feel the same way. Sure.

To my Canadian friends, most of my countrymen are cool, but the loud assholes are getting all the attention.  Canada is my adopted country and I'm very impressed and proud of the way they have handled this whole deal. 

There is a 65 foot yacht here in my marina. For the last three days, they have had 12-18 young people partying, they go out, come back, shake hands, hug each other and stumble out without any face covering.  I was BBQing and one of the kids asked me "whats for dinner?" I said, "looks like Coronavirus." They mocked me.

Any snappy lines?  Usually the best I get is a frosty “sorry for your inconvenience”, which is pretty lame mockery.....and guys standing 3 feet from me like to say something crisp like “you got six feet asshole”...

21 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

It's not fair to the young people in their coast guard to have to board pleasure boats and get coughed on by selfish douchebags, and risk infecting their friends and families. Why not just sail around at home this year? I don't understand it, all the whining. "But I wanted to vacation in Canada wah wah wah!" Well, you can't. Suck it up and deal.

Our yacht club members are now whining that they can't use indoor yacht club facilities. They can use the docks and sit on the deck and social distance, but can't sit inside and drink. They're up in arms. "What about our freedom? I want to see my friends! I want a cocktail! wah wah wah!"

When did the world get so crowded with whiny fucking TV watching pussies?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

It's not fair to the young people in their coast guard to have to board pleasure boats and get coughed on by selfish douchebags, and risk infecting their friends and families. Why not just sail around at home this year? I don't understand it, all the whining. "But I wanted to vacation in Canada wah wah wah!" Well, you can't. Suck it up and deal.

Our yacht club members are now whining that they can't use indoor yacht club facilities. They can use the docks and sit on the deck and social distance, but can't sit inside and drink. They're up in arms. "What about our freedom? I want to see my friends! I want a cocktail! wah wah wah!"

Exactly- why not just sail around at home?  A nice day sail, for some reason :rolleyes:  is out of the picture, which says a lot about the sailing scene, sailors, and the boats these days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loneshark64 said:

I'm completely baffled by our behavior.

The US has thousands of miles of coastline. Hell, the Chesapeake bay alone has thousands of miles of shoreline.  There is no shortage of places to visit and things to do, within our own boundaries even with the pandemic on.  I've been sailing and even spending time with friends in a "covid conscious" manner.  The pettiness and sheer lack of adaptability just blows my mind.

• Like 3

sounds like a bunch of Canadian Karens if you ask me. Get over it.

• Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mark Set said:

sounds like a bunch of Canadian Karens if you ask me. Get over it.

Sounds like you are a supporter of crime.  

• Like 2

I'm clearly not the most respectful guy around here and yet I have a long standing respect for other countries rules, laws and regulations. I've learned in my time that there is plenty of good working people out there who are tasked with enforcing many rules, rules that they themselves did not create. So I try to be respectful of the guys and gals that have to enforce those laws and I try to be respectful of a countries laws because hey, your hosts for some reason or another came up with those laws for reasons, their reasons and if you don't like it, GTFO. Nobody forced you to go to a foreign country in this case, it's strictly voluntary.

This year I would have loved to have been doing the Chi-Mac, but I obviously couldn't travel to do it. Sad but clearly tolerable. Later this summer we'll do our annual two week cruise in the Thousand islands, those islands intertwined with the US border. Our family will sorely miss going to Clayton NY, always an enjoyable stop on our journey. I'd love to be able to support the town's economy and I'd love to enjoy the charm of the town and the antique boat museum but alas, it's just not in the cards this year. Similarly there's a bunch of anchorages I'd like to visit and the whole South shore of the lake that I'll miss but as a matter of respect for our neighbors to the South, their laws, their customs and their current procedures, I'm going to have to leave them be for a year. I'll miss them but I'm pretty sure they'll be there next year for me and mine to enjoy.

I would hope that our Southern neighbors could be equally respectful, regardless of what their political views are about the virus. It's as simple as "it's your neighbors place, it's their rules". That's it.

Yes Clean, they could do more enforcement but part of being neighbors for hundreds of years with the longest undefended border in the world (And therefore less costly to maintain) is that we work out of a place of mutual respect and trust, across the entire population. it's a real timesaver when both sides are respectful and do some moderate self policing.

I was going to put in a cheeky comment that if you really need Canadian Bacon that badly, order it on Amazon.com, but for Jesus' sake, you actually cannot get it there in the USA, so forget what I said, if you are really jonseing for it, what's one small jaunt across the border for some sliced perfection?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, blunted said:

I'm clearly not the most respectful guy around here and yet I have a long standing respect for other countries rules, laws and regulations. I've learned in my time that there is plenty of good working people out there who are tasked with enforcing many rules, rules that they themselves did not create. So I try to be respectful of the guys and gals that have to enforce those laws and I try to be respectful of a countries laws because hey, your hosts for some reason or another came up with those laws for reasons, their reasons and if you don't like it, GTFO. Nobody forced you to go to a foreign country in this case, it's strictly voluntary.

This year I would have loved to have been doing the Chi-Mac, but I obviously couldn't travel to do it. Sad but clearly tolerable. Later this summer we'll do our annual two week cruise in the Thousand islands, those islands intertwined with the US border. Our family will sorely miss going to Clayton NY, always an enjoyable stop on our journey. I'd love to be able to support the town's economy and I'd love to enjoy the charm of the town and the antique boat museum but alas, it's just not in the cards this year. Similarly there's a bunch of anchorages I'd like to visit and the whole South shore of the lake that I'll miss but as a matter of respect for our neighbors to the South, their laws, their customs and their current procedures, I'm going to have to leave them be for a year. I'll miss them but I'm pretty sure they'll be there next year for me and mine to enjoy.

I would hope that our Southern neighbors could be equally respectful, regardless of what their political views are about the virus. It's as simple as "it's your neighbors place, it's their rules". That's it.

Yes Clean, they could do more enforcement but part of being neighbors for hundreds of years with the longest undefended border in the world (And therefore less costly to maintain) is that we work out of a place of mutual respect and trust, across the entire population. it's a real timesaver when both sides are respectful and do some moderate self policing.

I was going to put in a cheeky comment that if you really need Canadian Bacon that badly, order it on Amazon.com, but for Jesus' sake, you actually cannot get it there in the USA, so forget what I said, if you are really jonseing for it, what's one small jaunt across the border for some sliced perfection?

Mmmmmmmmmm.............Canadian Bacon......

Trouble is, although a short walk affords a view of your blessed land, it’s 14 days away...

The zen of this situation!  Bonk: Trudeau as a Zen Master with a stick.^_^  My head may hurt, but I am enlightened.  :lol:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, blunted said:

if you really need Canadian Bacon that badly, order it on Amazon.com,

It's not the bacon, it's the syrup. Just keep that supply line open, and I'll stay on my side of the line. ;)

• Like 2

Just now, Ajax said:

It's not the bacon, it's the syrup. Just keep that supply line open, and I'll stay on my side of the line. ;)

Is tossing the stuff over the hedge permitted?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Amati said:

Is tossing the stuff over the hedge permitted?

I'm thinking some kind of luge device

5 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Sounds like you are a supporter of crime.  

Hey, i thought were were all in favor of open borders, amigo!

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

Cook the bacon by simmering it in syrup.  Don't tell your cardiologist. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, loneshark64 said:

March 29 2020

Coincided with CV19 going through 20,000 cases per day in USA.

Then we were told...."No problemo , crisis will be over by Memorial Day , just mix yourself a cocktail of rum and clorox and you will be fine".  So when the faithful found out that bleach tastes disgusting and it is still going to be with us by Labor Day, it is only natural that we get a bit restless ,,,,,,,and seems unfair that Canada is playing all grown up and safe so the inclination is to cross the border and cough over the first happy Canadian we can find.

I mean that is one possible explanation.  More likely is that crusing sailors just want to get away from everything. Cant say I blame them, although they could do it this side of the border.

Personally, this has been the toughest 3 months in my life. I have nothing but respect for how Canadians have handled themselves. I am just praying that the surge doesnt revisit the North East.  I am on staff at 2 hospitals and I really dont think I can go through the sheer helpless frustration again.

• Like 1

proper,

Come for breakfast when you are next allowed

bacon-syrup-whiskey.jpg.a8d61ced8430161a1affd71d84138a05.jpg

14 minutes ago, blunted said:

proper,

Come for breakfast when you are next allowed

bacon-syrup-whiskey.jpg.a8d61ced8430161a1affd71d84138a05.jpg

Oh snap! That's 3 critical food groups right there!

On 7/20/2020 at 7:11 AM, SeattleB said:

1.  They are in violation of the border law if they aren't "in transit".

2.  If they get into trouble they will rely on Canadian services

3.  If they get in trouble off fully locked-down First Nations lands, they will be putting pressure on those communities to make choices they shouldn't be forced to make.

4.  They really don't want you there, so its all about you, isn't it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blunted said:

I'm thinking some kind of luge device

A puck and Some types of Canadian Bacon have roughly the same shape.....or is that a Yanqui affectation?

edit; I can see a combination luge device coupled with a ski flying hill....

I wonder what the ration of sail to power trawler is on the boats seen breaking the law.

7 hours ago, Left Shift said:

1.  They are in violation of the border law if they aren't "in transit".

2.  If they get into trouble they will rely on Canadian services

3.  If they get in trouble off fully locked-down First Nations lands, they will be putting pressure on those communities to make choices they shouldn't be forced to make.

4.  They really don't want you there, so its all about you, isn't it.

So go outside Vancouver Island on your way up.  Maybe a couple of hundred miles west?

Fined a few more of them. Please don't cross the border into BC if you're not truly on a direct passage to Alaska.

https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/news/two-u-s-boaters-fined-after-b-c-rcmp-spot-them-entering-canadian-waters/?fbclid=IwAR3jZaUWGfJn9JA9ZZ15x6xY31oxlSV8SZ0ATXu6VgGp5B2svmjoaKHfW0E

Two U.S. boaters received $1,000 fines from the Canadian Border Services Agency after B.C. RCMP discovered they entered Canadian waters under false pretenses.

In a Tuesday (July 21) release, RCMP said the first boater received their fine from the Pacific Shiprider Program after crossing into Canadian waters on July 10.

“It was clear the persons on this vessel had misstated their intention to travel to Alaska and had entered Canada for the purposes of tourism,” RCMP said

5 hours ago, Zonker said:

Fined a few more of them. Please don't cross the border into BC if you're not truly on a direct passage to Alaska.

https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/news/two-u-s-boaters-fined-after-b-c-rcmp-spot-them-entering-canadian-waters/?fbclid=IwAR3jZaUWGfJn9JA9ZZ15x6xY31oxlSV8SZ0ATXu6VgGp5B2svmjoaKHfW0E

Two U.S. boaters received $1,000 fines from the Canadian Border Services Agency after B.C. RCMP discovered they entered Canadian waters under false pretenses.

In a Tuesday (July 21) release, RCMP said the first boater received their fine from the Pacific Shiprider Program after crossing into Canadian waters on July 10.

“It was clear the persons on this vessel had misstated their intention to travel to Alaska and had entered Canada for the purposes of tourism,” RCMP said

Crickets here, and the Canadian Press aren’t ID’ing anyone.  Been hearing Brave Talk down at the dock about doing it (cruising Canada), usually among the unmasked, but I’ve been too busy avoiding them to reckon what boats they might be on. Maximum fines and imprisonment are pretty impressive......sounds like the whale watching operator was pushing things-

5 hours ago, Zonker said:

They need to 10X those fines. That'll get people's attention, even the stupid, selfish ones, after an example or two starts crying on Facebook about how unfair it is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IStream said:

They need to 10X those fines. That'll get people's attention, even the stupid, selfish ones, after an example or two starts crying on Facebook about how unfair it is.

The max looks to be $750,000 and 6 months in jail, or if causing injury or death (or some other stuff) $1,000,000 and 3 years in jail.  $1,000 is the minimum- so showing some restraint there....wah wah indeed...

On 7/20/2020 at 7:46 AM, Miffy said:

“Rules don’t apply to me - Canada isn’t a real country! I make my own rules with my own judgment!”

At least when they say it , you can hear it clearly, with no mask to muffle the sound. <_<

32 minutes ago, Amati said:

The max looks to be $750,000 and 6 months in jail, or if causing injury or death (or some other stuff) $1,000,000 and 3 years in jail.  $1,000 is the minimum- so showing some restraint there....wah wah indeed...

The max penalties are great but it's the min penalties that'll get people's attention.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:29 AM, Amati said:

On 7/20/2020 at 7:46 AM, Miffy said:

Fuck You ASSHOLE and stay the fuck out of our corner of the world.  Don't disrespect people with brains and some common sense.  We who live close to the border and love our Canadian neighbors hope to be lucky enough to be able to visit their gentle country and magical cruising waters.

• Like 1

Mate the quotes were there for a reason. 

• Like 2

On 7/20/2020 at 4:11 PM, SeattleB said:

I suggest you imagine the situation with inversed roles. Let's see what happens then.

3 hours ago, Matagi said:

I suggest you imagine the situation with inversed roles. Let's see what happens then.

As canadian sailboats continue to violate the US border Fox News reports them to be carrying drugs and weapons of mass destruction and urges Pres. Trump to take action.

The US pacific fleets gets restationed to guard the northern border. Chinas seizes the opportunity to sack taiwan.

When a US SSN sinks after allegedly breaking off its persiscope on a canadian pleasurecraft, Trump issues an ultimatun demanding Trudeau to acknowledge Trump being "more smart and sexier" than he is.

Trudeau gives in, but speculation arises that he winked at the end of his statement.

Trump orders a full scale invasion of canada, but it gets delayed until november, because Trump is busy playing golf.

The canadian armed forces retreat into the mountains and start a relentless guerilla warfare against US occupation.

In the grim canadian winter the US troops take heavy casulties. Trump declares "noone could have seen the cold coming. Noone knew it could be cold in countries you invade."

After 10 years of fruitless struggles CIA papers emerge proofing that Trudeaus wink was faked by the CIA to justify war.

Peace talks led by queen Elizabeth II start in London.

In 2045 presidents Justin Bieber and Kanye West sign a peace treaty stating that Trudeau in fact is more smart and sexier than Trump. Trump writes a record 53673 twitter messages in a day about this being the worst hoax in history from russian exile.

The US is forced to pay for a wall at the border meant to "keep criminal southerners out of our land".

• Like 10

6 hours ago, mathystuff said:

As canadian sailboats continue to violate the US border Fox News reports them to be carrying drugs and weapons of mass destruction and urges Pres. Trump to take action.

The US pacific fleets gets restationed to guard the northern border. Chinas seizes the opportunity to sack taiwan.

When a US SSN sinks after allegedly breaking off its persiscope on a canadian pleasurecraft, Trump issues an ultimatun demanding Trudeau to acknowledge Trump being "more smart and sexier" than he is.

Trudeau gives in, but speculation arises that he winked at the end of his statement.

Trump orders a full scale invasion of canada, but it gets delayed until november, because Trump is busy playing golf.

The canadian armed forces retreat into the mountains and start a relentless guerilla warfare against US occupation.

In the grim canadian winter the US troops take heavy casulties. Trump declares "noone could have seen the cold coming. Noone knew it could be cold in countries you invade."

After 10 years of fruitless struggles CIA papers emerge proofing that Trudeaus wink was faked by the CIA to justify war.

In 2045 presidents Justin Bieber and Kanye West sign a peace treaty stating that Trudeau in fact is more smart and sexier than Trump. Trump writes a record 53673 twitter messages in a day about this being the worst hoax in history from russian exile.

The US is forced to pay for a wall at the border meant to "keep criminal southerners out of our land".

Ohmygod. Fantastic. Excellent storytelling game here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mathystuff said:

11 hours ago, mathystuff said:

Don't say it! Don't fucking say it.... if you say it, it's gonna come true

- DSK

oh oh .....

Lucy's you got some splaining to do.

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2020/07/covid-19-stricter-rules-for-foreign-nationals-transiting-through-canada-to-alaska.html

News release

COVID-19: Stricter rules for foreign nationals transiting through Canada to Alaska

July 30, 2020     Ottawa, Ontario

The Government of Canada remains committed to protecting the health and safety of Canadians and reducing the spread of COVID-19 in Canada. For public health reasons, the temporary restriction on all optional or discretionary travel at the Canada-United States (U.S.) border remains in place.

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is announcing that as of July 31, 2020, at 12:01 am PDT stricter rules and additional entry conditions will be imposed on travellers transiting through Canada to Alaska for a non-discretionary purpose. These measures are put in place to further reduce the risk of introduction of COVID-19 cases and to minimize the amount of time that in-transit travellers are in Canada.

so to flip the script, I have to ask, what is the current state of enforcement in the Thousand islands?

I don't want to run afoul of either set of Authorities, anybody know how its being handled in that neck of the woods?

We R the international pariah  . . 

Thanks, you dumb-ass Reichistas !! 

(And I hear that work is proceeding apace on the Canadian privacy hedge) 

O No Canada: Border Likely To Stay Closed Through Late August

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 4:22 PM, EYESAILOR said:

I am just praying that the surge doesnt revisit the North East.  I am on staff at 2 hospitals and I really dont think I can go through the sheer helpless frustration again.

Prayer is useless. It's a comin.' She's gonna blow.