svein99

J111 Jib Furling

There is an older post (see link) that deals with jib furling on the J111. I wondered with the passage of time if the horizontal roller battens are still popular and if the design has improved to give better leech furling and durability? To my knowledge there are 3 manufacturers (RBS, C-Tech and Rutgerson - do you have any preferences and why?

Are many using the Ubi Maior flat deck furler with the Jiber head locking mechanism and is it any better than the conventional that only furls from the tack?

My observation is most J111's have ditched their furlers in favor of a tuffluff set up.  Or at the very least they race with horizontal battens and use the furler track like a tuffluff.

I think the bottom line is in many parts of the world the conditions vary enough to warrant changing headsails enough that a furling jib doesn't make much sense.

Your mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, svein99 said:

There is an older post (see link) that deals with jib furling on the J111. I wondered with the passage of time if the horizontal roller battens are still popular and if the design has improved to give better leech furling and durability? To my knowledge there are 3 manufacturers (RBS, C-Tech and Rutgerson - do you have any preferences and why?

Are many using the Ubi Maior flat deck furler with the Jiber head locking mechanism and is it any better than the conventional that only furls from the tack?

The 111 class both in Europe and the states have ditched the furlers completely and have gone to standard fiberglass battens.

If you do need to furl the jibs, new stiff roller battens are the best from a performance stand point.  The issue is they go soft over time (especially if left furled for longer periods) and cause some wear issues with the batten pockets being loaded up all the time on the furl.  The verticals have less maintenance issues and furl a lot cleaner.

Both RBS and C tech are good out of the box (I've never used Rutgerson battens).  The c techs are a bit stiffer on day 1 and last a bit longer.  They do however cost a fair bit more.  If you are running a high level racing program you should be replacing them every season, and everyone should expect to break a batten or two ever now and then.

I use soft hanks on my 111.  Perfect solution especially when you sail shorthanded.

We tried different variants of roller battens on a shorthanded jib (have always used horizontal stiff battens on racing jibs).

When they did their job well, we couldn't get the jib cover on as the back part was sticking out. And having to take the jib down after sailing kind of defeated the purpose. Decided to go with Harken Carbo Foil for fully crewed racing, and shorthanded use hanks on a bare headstay.