sailor bum

x-yachts x-119

Anybody out there know anything about the X-119 built by X-Yachts in Denmark?  I'm thinking of buying one.

I've heard that they have a welded steel frame bonded into the hull to handle keel loads.  I'm worried that on a 30 year old boat there will be corrosion problems.

Any info would be welcome

I don't have time right now but try doing a search in this forum for the x-119 as I remember it being discussed including the grid you asked about. I sailed and raced on one years ago and liked it, remember it being tweaky and well constructed.

Here's a thread.  I've been looking at them too.   Have tried getting some specifics about the one on Seattle Craigslist but no luck- don't think he really wants to sell- has been advertised for years.  And at any rate its in tough shape.  When I last looked at it the viewing window for the keel had fallen out (it's on the hard).  I could see water damage from leaky windows and the keel grid was needing help.    

The X-119 is a beautifull boat, and very well built by X-yachts, with an Inox structure as was the case for all X until recently.

9 hours ago, sailor bum said:

Anybody out there know anything about the X-119 built by X-Yachts in Denmark?  I'm thinking of buying one.

I've heard that they have a welded steel frame bonded into the hull to handle keel loads.  I'm worried that on a 30 year old boat there will be corrosion problems.

Any info would be welcome

You can find the brochure for the X-119 here: https://3brefc126v633i9r4zk9q3p5-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/X-119-brochure.pdf

There is a X-yacht owners club with a large technical library where I am sure you can get a lot answers: https://x-yachtsowners.co.uk/

Every boat I've ever heard of with a steel grid has eventually had to have it replaced. Some like old Cals just had a beam or a small structure but those X-boats have a big and elaborate one that would be a huge job to replace.

I wouldn't go near one.

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Every boat I've ever heard of with a steel grid has eventually had to have it replaced.  

I wouldn't go near one.

But of course this is from an ignorant data source with the quality of knowledge you would expect to get on an anonymous  free of charge website, so the opinion is worth as much, and the buyer shouldn't be concerned following  even a most perfunctory survey. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 8:18 PM, Cristoforo said:

But of course this is from an ignorant data source with the quality of knowledge you would expect to get on an anonymous  free of charge website, so the opinion is worth as much, and the buyer shouldn't be concerned following  even a most perfunctory survey. 

I agree, I have not heard of a single X-Yacht who had their integral keel grid replaced (sure there must be some) , they had used this since 1980 (650 built since). mine was built in 1985 and showed no sign of coming apart from the hull, not even rust, they were if I recall correctly hot galvanized and simply glassed into the hull. A 3/4 tonner had a bumpy ride from Fl to Chicago had the forward end cracked from the hull however this was simply remedied. Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned the windows, beware they will all leak and needs to be rebedded, not an easy task to make it last. Butyl tape came to my rescue.

The keels themselves were a bigger problem with the 119s, because they were composite, cast iron fin and lead bulb which creates several problems.  But the internal grid is sound as far as I know.  Do a thorough moisture test during the survey.  The tin rig is getting on in life by now, and although they were tree trunks, have a long look there, also.

On 7/23/2020 at 8:18 PM, Cristoforo said:

Crashdog,

Out of curiosity, what on earth would cause lead and cast iron keels create any problems, this has been used for 30 years by many builders?

Pehr

X- yachts uses Jeffa aluminum  rudder stocks and aluminum self aligning bearings 

pull the rudder and inspect at survey 

a new rudder  and bearing is a good way to tear up ten grand 

8E5E7174-9164-484F-83BF-0911593F443C.jpeg

5D26087A-9978-44DD-9D9B-A1BBD9C4DF77.jpeg

Slug,  Thanks for the tip on the rudder post and bearings.  I'll be sure to have the surveyor pull the rudder and check.  She has a tiller, not a wheel so this should be relatively easy.

I redid the rudder bearing on an x boat with an aluminum post.  Jeffa has bearings for many of the x boats.  Be very careful with wiring in and around the binnacle. The post on my boat had no signs of corrosion or wear

1 hour ago, gkny said:

I redid the rudder bearing on an x boat with an aluminum post.  Jeffa has bearings for many of the x boats.  Be very careful with wiring in and around the binnacle. The post on my boat had no signs of corrosion or wear

Typically the damage is caused by copper oxide antifoul 

do not use copper oxide antifoul on boats with underwater or wet aluminum