Sign in to follow this  
Snowden

Break-up Value (Melges 40)

Melges 40 from 2016 (ouch) https://ancasta.com/boats-for-sale/used/sail/melges/40/35735/

Ad is a bit light on detail but let's say you get it for <€200k, can you make that back on the hardware? I guess none of the gear is 'grand prix' standard any more being 4 years old, but there's got to be some value in the winches, B&G system, carbon rig etc.

Don't forget to factor in all the work needed to remove everything and prep it for sale, and the cost of disposing what you cannot sell. Both of those non trivial I suspect.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JimC said:

Don't forget to factor in all the work needed to remove everything and prep it for sale, and the cost of disposing what you cannot sell. Both of those non trivial I suspect.

30 yard dumpster rental is cheap, as well as a sawzall and a few cases of blades

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sailman said:

30 yard dumpster rental is cheap, as well as a sawzall and a few cases of blades

Not in the EU where you have to dispose things properly, fiberglass is not domestic waste!

1 hour ago, JimC said:

and the cost of disposing what you cannot sell

I imagine you could sell the hull and deck to some clueless youtube lifestyle vloggers ;-)

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

Not in the EU where you have to dispose things properly, fiberglass is not domestic waste!

Don't worry... the original poster won't be in the EU for much longer

• Like 3

So you need to float EURO200k, tear this thing apart, and then haggle on price for each the 100s of bits on ebay and other trading sites? What a strange business model.

• Like 5

???????

Someone thinks a 200K 40 foot boat can be scrapped for profit?

The lead is about a dollar a pound, so you have that going for you, and then there is the horde of other Melges 40 owners that want to run their grand prix level campaigns with used junk parts :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Is not the boat way better than that?

4 hours ago, Snowden said:

... can you make that back on the hardware?

I guess I'm confused.  is the boat trashed, or structurally unsound, or soggy, or....?

Yeah, no longer competitive at grand-prix level, and nobody in their right mind is going to pay €250k for it. 

But unless I'm missing something, is still a viable boat.  So... why go straight to "destroy it and sell the bits piecemeal"?  Somebody out there - especially in the Med - might be delighted to pick up a fast-looking 40' club-racer or daysailor for€100k....

Why break it up? With some mods the melges 40 might be the most awesome coastal racing platform ever made. 

You can rest easy guys, this is a thought experiment rather than a business plan. Just curious how that €250k asking price stacks up for a boat with a pretty limited target market (I would think).

• Like 1

Probably only €100k to rebuild the keel canting gizmos... No matter what is right or wrong, that boat is a rich persons toy.

I imagine it can't be competitive in IRC. Am I right ? Otherwise it could be a relatively cheap way to be at the front with the big boys for those who like this! I am not even sure that you can make her cat 1 for the Fastnet.

Why the price drop, is the Melges 40 class dead?

55 minutes ago, jackolantern said:

Why break it up? With some mods the melges 40 might be the most awesome coastal racing platform ever made. 

More than enough Fast 40s and similar platforms on the market to do that (without the complexity of a canting keel) - you could buy this from the same broker for less:

https://ancasta.com/boats-for-sale/used/sail/ker/40/31500/

Did I hear a groan from Scooter thinking about replacing his slow-assed A5 with the Melges 40 as A6?

14 minutes ago, JimBowie said:

Did I hear a groan from Scooter thinking about replacing his slow-assed A5 with the Melges 40 as A6?

i already did that. and then sold it for parts...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Snowden said:

Melges 40 from 2016 (ouch) https://ancasta.com/boats-for-sale/used/sail/melges/40/35735/

Ad is a bit light on detail but let's say you get it for <€200k, can you make that back on the hardware? I guess none of the gear is 'grand prix' standard any more being 4 years old, but there's got to be some value in the winches, B&G system, carbon rig etc.

No.

5 hours ago, sailman said:

Okay so I see you have the "removal" part covered, now what about "prepping for sale"?

Also I'm guessing there's not quite the market for used luxury junk as there is for used good/decent junk. Luxury buyers buy new junk, methinks.

Please excuse my ignorance, but why is a four year old One Design boat obsolete?  Gives a whole new meaning to Planned Obsolescence.

Why the fuck would you buy a boat like this and scrap it? The hull won't be toast, neither would the rig & deck gear.

Yes, sails will probably need an update but if you're not racing it at OD/MedCup level you're not going to be needing a new set of 3Di Raw gear every 12 months. So go buy a set of Straits Ice from Doyle and enjoy racing with your mates at club level and local regattas. Sure it will be technical and tweaks as all shit, but half the fun is learning how to make a boat like this perform to it's potential. 

• Like 1

This thread doesn't make sense other than to remind us there are plenty of weird arse people out there who don't make sense.! :wub:

• Like 2

• Like 1

Donate ...or fix it..many can fix things that the team claims will cost 100K...for a fraction if they are handy. Make it a garage rocket and go have some fun. 

Comes with a 20ft container, so that could work as my new micro home I guess.

Whoever the original poster is, they might just be taking a cute little passive-aggressive dig at the Melges 40.

• Like 3

2 of them are on their way to NZ as we speak. Rumor is a third one might be as well...

14 minutes ago, doghouse said:

What an inane fucking thread.

You expected something different from this place?

On 7/23/2020 at 6:58 AM, JimC said:

I've done enough deck refit projects to know that the deck hardware comes off easy, I can do a 45 foot boat with one other person in a day.  It's getting things back on that is time consuming, if you do it right anyway.

Buy a Melges 40, your trophy wife sleeps with the Bowman, you break up.

Melges 40 value... 50%

Am I missing anything, I didn't really read through the thread:D

On 7/28/2020 at 3:08 PM, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

You expected something different from this place?

No, not really. Just felt like stating the obvious.