Sign in to follow this  
martin 'hoff

Revitalize worn ropes/sheets?

My Whisper cat is a ton of fun and has the mainsheet on a mid-boom ratchet. We are talking dyneema core, synthetic grippy cover.

We work that mainsheet like crazy; and the ratchet "works" the mainsheet too, so after a bit it's gone from grippy to slippery. Is there any trick to get a season, or half season more of life out of it?

Bonus - video of the affected boat 

End for end it already?  Wash in a bucket of warm water with mild detergent and get grit etc out of it.

• Like 1

Certainly this is too late this time but:

Buy it too long so you can both swap ends and occasionally cut a little off to change the wear patterns. 

• Like 3

Tie in pillow case and throw in the washer. Then, add a capful of fabric softener to a bucket of water and soak the line in it for an hour or so. Rinse thoroughly and hang dry. 

Go easy on the softener and rinse it well afterwards otherwise every time the line gets wet, your gloves and it will sink of softener. 

• Like 3

Some riggers can get hold of just the outer. Perhaps next time you can strip and taper the short section that's only ever in the blocks and then replace the outer as required?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Varan said:

Tie in pillow case and throw in the washer. Then, add a capful of fabric softener to a bucket of water and soak the line in it for an hour or so. Rinse thoroughly and hang dry. 

Go easy on the softener and rinse it well afterwards otherwise every time the line gets wet, your gloves and it will sink of softener. 

I tried that and found the line didn't get properly cleaned. Now I just throw the lines in a front loader and let them tangle.

Untangling them gives me the opportunity to examine them in detail from end to end. :D

• Like 2

The problem with bags is that if you have any quantity of line - like a halyard off a 30' or bigger - they get packed in it and don't get agitated properly.

It only takes a few minutes to untangle them and as I said, you have to look at every inch of them when you are untangling them.

• Like 2

Which is a good alternative IF you have a front loader (or a new agitator-less top loader)

On 7/23/2020 at 7:05 PM, martin 'hoff said:

My Whisper cat is a ton of fun and has the mainsheet on a mid-boom ratchet. We are talking dyneema core, synthetic grippy cover.

We work that mainsheet like crazy; and the ratchet "works" the mainsheet too, so after a bit it's gone from grippy to slippery. Is there any trick to get a season, or half season more of life out of it?

Bonus - video of the affected boat 

Hmm

as rope ages it get torsion  twists wound into its structure ..these twists make the rope stiff ,  obnoxious to use and degrade it rated load

on big boats the twists per meter are counted by observing the colored thread in the braid ...at a certain number of twists the rope is condemned 

you might be wasting your time 

On 7/24/2020 at 8:36 AM, SloopJonB said:

Now I just throw the lines in a front loader and let them tangle.

Will a front loader still herniate the core out of the casing? I know from sad experience that top leaders will. :( I just stick with a tote full of water and detergent these days... I lost a pretty decent halyard to herniation from my top loader. One minute it was just dirty, and five minutes later it was shot. I tried to milk the casing back over the core and it just wasn't willing.

Ah well, it was an opportunity to upgrade.

The mega yachts ship running rigging to specialized cleaners 

evidently a big bath bombarded by ultrasound

If the cover is shot ,,, cover burn from winch drums ..,the expensive core is saved and only the cover is replaced  

http://www.duratecrope.com/en/ropes-mallorca/re-braiding-ropes-53-0-0.html

4 hours ago, randii said:

Will a front loader still herniate the core out of the casing?

I've had it happen a couple of times but it was on already questionable lines - the kind that are looking dead but you think "what the hell, lets see what comes out in the wash".

Never had it happen to good lines in either a front or top loader.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:59 PM, Varan said:

Which is a good alternative IF you have a front loader (or a new agitator-less top loader)

Laundromats have 'em.

Gee, for decades , to clean ropes , I’ve use an inflatable childrens swimming pole 

soak em all day in the bright sun

drain , refill and soak again 

a bit of oxi clean in the second soak brighten them up 

soak again 

they come out pretty good 

I sprayed my old lines with pressure washer.  Cleaned em up and softened the cover.