Blue Crab

What's With EBikes?

I get ebikes as your means of getting around the third and second worlds but in Merica? 

There are a lot of older folks using them here in Park City. It allows them to ride again where a full pedal bike just wasn't an option anymore.  Now they can get out and get a little exercise...doing 20mph on a bike path.

I ride my E-bike to the gym. It's quicker, so I get more time on the treadmill.

• Like 6

I have an E-Joe.  I still get my heart rate up and I go fast in the hilly terrain of Atlanta.

It also folds into suitcase size.

It has a rack and I love it.

I have a tandem I love too and a bike I ordered on the internet and put together.

13 minutes ago, El Boracho said:

I ride my E-bike to the gym. It's quicker, so I get more time on the treadmill.

MTGrace: Get back in your box already!

As mentioned above, great for older folks (my 80+ year old Dad loves his). Though I'm in my 50's and relatively fit, I've seriously considered getting a motor-assisted cargo bike for myself as a way to replace the car for many errands around (hilly) Seattle. 

• Like 1

Love ours. Good workout. There are some misconceptions about the bike. Its (at least ours) a pedal assist meaning depending on what speed you set it to the motor kicks in when you fall below that speed. So if you gear up (its a 8 speed bike) and pedal - for us we toodle along at about 12-14 mph and generally have the bike set at 6mph - 10 mph if its a stiff headwind - the motor never kicks in unless your speed falls below the threshold. It also only kicks in if the pedals are turning so it takes a little effort even if the motor is assisting. Now here is the kicker...........the bike weighs 60 lbs. Heavy frame and battery = 60 lbs. So when we are pedaling on the gearing alone, we're pushing a lot more weight than a typical bike. But if you get tired or find a bad hill, spin the assist ups to15 mph and as long as you're pedaling...........you're cruising. So you get to pick how much or how little work you want to do. BY the way...this morning we ran errands on ours and put 15 miles on the bikes. These are ours:

https://www.eluxbikes.com/shop?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjer4BRCZARIsABK4QeXfv9Q6RNmrseN5w0F3e1qsbtbdSnDwMboWKAqmFHwt0ZTq5iQzw4caAqmrEALw_wcB

PB, I think your bikes' algorithm is a bit different from most others' I've seen. They tend to add boost regardless of speed but the boost power can be varied by the user.  

26 minutes ago, IStream said:

PB, I think your bikes' algorithm is a bit different from most others' I've seen. They tend to add boost regardless of speed but the boost power can be varied by the user.  

Nope, you can set a top speed after which the power assist quits. For instance the European law limits power assist above 25 kph. USA class 1 and 2 limits at 20 mph. Class 3 is 28 mph. If my memory hasn't failed me. So you can limit top speed for kids or klutzes, or go dark side and disable the limiter altogether. :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Dorado said:

Nope, you can set a top speed after which the power assist quits. For instance the European law limits power assist above 25 kph. USA class 1 and 2 limits at 20 mph. Class 3 is 28 mph. If my memory hasn't failed me. So you can limit top speed for kids or klutzes, or go dark side and disable the limiter altogether. :ph34r:

I'm not saying that PB is wrong. He owns the bikes, I don't, and I've got no reason to doubt him. My point was that the class 1 and 2 bikes I've seen in the US don't generally allow the user to adjust the 20mph cutout, only the level of boost when it's active.

18 minutes ago, IStream said:

I'm not saying that PB is wrong. He owns the bikes, I don't, and I've got no reason to doubt him. My point was that the class 1 and 2 bikes I've seen in the US don't generally allow the user to adjust the 20mph cutout, only the level of boost when it's active.

My bike ( Ariel Rider M class) is adjustable by reprogramming the LCD controller on the handle bar. Instructions included.

Bought an ebike when I retired this year.  I love it, and just passed 400 km on it so far.  In the past I wouldn't take my normal bike on errands because I've sweated up my local hills so many fucking times I just don't want to do them again, so I would drive.  On the ebike hills are no sweat, so the disincentive to ride a bike is gone.  My daily commuter I used for work is for sale - I don't really need it anymore.

We need to restructure our transportation around bikes and public transport in the future, so why not get ahead of the curve.  SOV's, even electric ones, are not going to be around much longer.   It will be a difficult adjustment in places where the infrastructure has been planned around cars, but still doable.  Ebikes are a part of that adjustment.  Get used to them.

• Like 1

Very happy with mine.  Always owned a bike but in the last few years had only been using it for Hash runs & the "Tour de piss".  Earlier this year pre-covid I put a 500w on the back wheel with a 36v battery.  The setup has various levels of assistance.  IE Level 1 cuts out @ 16Kph (10Mph), level 2 @ 20Kph etc.  Before eletrickery I always rode @ 28 - 30Kph average and now still do. 

The amount of assistance reduces as it gets close to the cutout speed for the level.  So the bonus is I am back to riding as much as I did 15 years ago, and although I am still doing most of the work it knocks out the sucky bits (headwinds & hills).  I recharge every 60 - 80K (most trips are 20K or less) but have not got below 65% charge remaining yet.

Today I added a second beer holder for the longer trips.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

I get ebikes as your means of getting around the third and second worlds but in Merica? 

We AmeriCanadians all need to realize that using a bike is usually a heck of a lot faster getting around most cities/towns, is way more economical & healthy, and oh yeah is way better for helping to fight climate change.

• Like 2

• Like 2

I live in the tidal flats BUT IT GETS REALLY HOT!!! 

Thanks for the input.

Here are the instructions on the pedal assist for ours. 

3E54AFCA-EDF0-4CB6-8553-A84AE432BD74.jpeg

68D0313E-ADF5-4977-B936-737ABF2655FD.jpeg

• Like 1

There is some variation on how E bikes work depending on who makes it.

I have a GT mountain bike with Shimano motor it has several modes all of them give electric assist from takeoff up to limited speed which is 25 Kph in Australia. The US and New Zealand specs allow top speed of 32 Kph before electric assist cuts out. It's simple to change software to to NZ spec giving us slightly higher speed.

Range is pretty good hills are no problem can still do 20 Mph into 25 knot headwind takes a lot of effort out of riding.

You can get kits to retrofit older bikes the Bafang kit even allows electric assist without pedalling along with more powerful engines that aren't legal for road use with no speed limits. https://pirez.com.au/conversion-kits/?sort=priceasc

Electric bike sales are growing rapidly it's probably the future for cheap transport many people ride them to work the vast majority of food delivery people in my area use electric bikes.

https://interestingengineering.com/9-ways-an-electric-bike-can-change-your-life-for-the-better

gt.jpeg

In the UK electric unlicensed bicycles are limited to 15.5mph ( 25kph) these maybe ridden on the road and on cycling  permitted pavements ( sidewalks)  and cycle lanes. Cycle lane, painted marks on a road that define an area a car ( automobile)  may not enter. 

More powerful bikes up to 4kW, 28mph, only ridden on the road,  but you need a licence, road tax, crash helmet.

More powerful again electric motorbikes , need a full motorcycle licence and have the same regulations  as them.

New electric bicycles of the lowest power class have here,  pressure switches so unless you keep pedalling the electric assist stops.

They are increasingly popular particularly among the elderly , either to assist up hills or to extend the range someone can cycle. 

I have two worn out knees, mostly from playing volleyball , I'm considering  adding a electric kit to my bicycle to reduce the pain of pressing down on the peddles. 

11 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

From the Random Pic thread - what is old is new again...

DiAaChlX0AQZAoA.jpg

12 minutes ago, The Q said:

In the UK electric unlicensed bicycles are limited to 15.5mph ( 25kph) these maybe ridden on the road and on cycling  permitted pavements ( sidewalks)  and cycle lanes. Cycle lane, painted marks on a road that define an area a car ( automobile)  may not enter. 

More powerful bikes up to 4kW, 28mph, but you need a licence, road tax, crash helmet.

More powerful again electric motorbikes , need a full motorcycle licence and have the same regulations  as them.

New electric bicycles of the lowest power class have here,  pressure switches so unless you keep pedalling the electric assist stops.

They are increasingly popular particularly among the elderly , either to assist up hills or to extend the range someone can cycle. 

I have two worn out knees, mostly from playing volleyball , I'm considering  adding a electric kit to my bicycle to reduce the pain of pressing down on the peddles. 

Canada is similar but we are allowed max 500 W motors and speeds up to 32 km/h without licensing and insurance.  Still, we have a lot of shared bike/pedestrian pathways with the bike path divided off with a paint line only.  When I am cruising down the bike path on my 40 kg Rad Rover fat bike at 32 km/h I think I am frightening a few pedestrians.  

Nevertheless I am thinking of upgrading the hub motor to 750 watts.  That upgrade will also remove the 32 km/h maximum.  I don't see how they can detect the upgrade without actually testing the bike - the motor upgrade is just a change of magnets internally in the hub.  

I purchased one for the bride about 2 years ago best thing I ever did it’s an Ezee brand. It’s red so it goes fast, nearly 50 kph in fact maybe slightly illegal, but she disappears for hours so I get peace and quiet,  20 amp battery she tells me. I got it in Sydney,Australia.

Am considering an EVBike as a daily car replacement... currently focusing in on the Taiwanese built Gogoro Eeyo:
https://eeyo.bike/about-gogoro

However though pretty… it’s not thought through enough on carrying shopping/kit etc…(Think Hallberg-Rassy v Wally)

So may well opt for fugly/functional over slick-willy.

https://www.nationwideebikes.co.uk/products/raleigh-roundsman-cargo-ebike

As you were...

I bought one to use as a land dingy. Greatest thing since sliced bread for cheap limited range ground transportation. used it a lot coming up the ICW last summer in a trawler. 

it being a fat tire with moderately knobbed tires it was also pretty useful in the Mountains last winter 

Unfortunately, mine was tacoed earlier this year. Driving back to MD from CO. This bike was in a rack on the back of my jeep which was in tow behind the RV. 

just ordered another one. was able to salvage the battery from the smashed bike. replacement batteries are spendy.  

I think they're great, but I've got probably 30 years till I'll be in the target demographic...

14 hours ago, geeaah said:

I purchased one for the bride about 2 years ago best thing I ever did it’s an Ezee brand. It’s red so it goes fast, nearly 50 kph in fact maybe slightly illegal, but she disappears for hours so I get peace and quiet,  20 amp battery she tells me. I got it in Sydney,Australia.

All you people with e-bikes that you're riding on shared paths with people walking - I hope you limit your speed or give at least 1.5m clearance when you pass someone.

After all, you wouldn't want to become what you decry, would you?

FKT

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Hmmm ... so the "E" doesn't stand for exercise?

Depends how you ride it.

8 hours ago, Just A Skosh said:

I think they're great, but I've got probably 30 years till I'll be in the target demographic...

Think about what car trips you make that you would make on a bike if it was no sweat to do them.   Then get the bike and do those trips.  For example, I use it to go the hardware store for nuts and bolts, instead of taking the car.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rain Man said:

Think about what car trips you make that you would make on a bike if it was no sweat to do them.   Then get the bike and do those trips.  For example, I use it to go the hardware store for nuts and bolts, instead of taking the car.

This is why I think an electric cargo bike is the best embodiment for me. It'll maximize the number of car trips I can replace with bike trips. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 3:03 PM, WCB said:

There are a lot of older folks using them here in Park City. It allows them to ride again where a full pedal bike just wasn't an option anymore.  Now they can get out and get a little exercise...doing 20mph on a bike path.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's pretty much my favorite thing: Encountering geriatrics at 20+ mph on a bike path. Because they can. If you're powered, get off the fucking bike path. Pussies.

Exercise? Take a fucking walk. And stay out of the way.

A few broken hips should fix this ebike fad. I guarantee, in a year or two it will be too much hassle and effort to get up and pee for some of you. 

• Like 2

I can use my ebike out here where I live in ways I just don't feel safe using a regular bike. I live on the end of a peninsula in Southern MD. this is a land of drunk 17 and 18 year olds in F350 pickup trucks with extended mirrors. They do love their bike hockey out here. While I never hesitated to ride a regular bike all over the place and on roads in Suburban Northern VA, it would be suicide out here. I've tried twice to ride up to the local convenience store to pick up a few items and both times I was run off the road by these fuckwits, whether it was intentional or not, I don't know. 

at any rate, on the eBike I can run at the posted speed limi, or even a little better and at least not draw their ire for going to fucking slow on the road. I'll keep riding the regular bikes on the bike path network around Washington and over on the Eastern Shore, but not here.. no thanks.

1 hour ago, Blue Crab said:

Yeah, that's pretty much my favorite thing: Encountering geriatrics at 20+ mph on a bike path. Because they can. If you're powered, get off the fucking bike path. Pussies.

A few broken hips should fix this ebike fad. I guarantee, in a year or two it will be too much hassle and effort to get up and pee for some of you. 

Geez Crab, that's like your stupidest post ever  :mellow:

7 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

That’s not very nice........

Yes, it was rude of me to offer my opinion on what I expect, for American hipsters, is the latest cool thing. They'll be used some and then put away for the winter. Most won't read the directions, leaving the battery to discharge ... and the fun will be gone next spring. Or the next. Tires still get soft. Batteries costly. And dammit! I want to go to thru the Taco Bell. And who isn't in a hurry?

And 20 on the bike paths? With walkers and children? What could go wrong? That won't be ok for long. And the street is fraught with peril as noted. And the weight! Fergit it if you have a walkup. That's what they make folding bikes for.

As pretty much the oldest guy here, let's get real about exercise: Work at it or die in your armchair. 

I note a few ebikes among the tourists but everyone and their dogs has a golf cart now in my coastal burg. And they're on the street where they should be, but still managing to piss off the local drivers, all of whom are related to those jerks in MD.

I do get the notion that 2 wheeling is getting iffy for some seniors, so back to where we started:

Areyourshop White 7-Speed 24" With Basket Adult 3-Wheel Tricycle 3 Wheeled Trike Bicycle Cruise Bike Bicycle

• Like 1

Around SoCal, it's not the geriatrics at 20+knots...it's the teeners (ten and eleven year-olds too) and such that do not have a clue about the rules of the road and general safety while "driving".  BTW, I am a "geriatric" at 74..fifty years of surfing, 150k+ miles on my knees from road cycling (ten years racing), fifty years of skiing and much more have put my knees at bone on bone now.  My electric bike allows me to ride at no electric assist, which I do most of the time, or pump in 20-40% assist when I am out for a while, head winds, oh, then there is the 10% climb back to my house.  I still ride my Pinarello, but my knees have other ideas.

5 minutes ago, foamy1946 said:

Around SoCal, it's not the geriatrics at 20+knots...it's the teeners (ten and eleven year-olds too) and such that do not have a clue about the rules of the road and general safety while "driving".  BTW, I am a "geriatric" at 74..fifty years of surfing, 150k+ miles on my knees from road cycling (ten years racing), fifty years of skiing and much more have put my knees at bone on bone now.  My electric bike allows me to ride at no electric assist, which I do most of the time, or pump in 20-40% assist when I am out for a while, head winds, oh, then there is the 10% climb back to my house.  I still ride my Pinarello, but my knees have other ideas.

Same here except after years of abuse, it’s the hips (which are now titanium :lol:) that occasionally get a little sore, and my road bike was an Allez. Here at the beach we notice the same thing. It’s the kids early teens who are balls out on the bike path. We’re usually on pedal assist at 6mph but ride at around 12-13 mph so for most of our ride (only about 14-18 miles 3 days a week) it’s just leg power pushing that 60 pound bike along. We do allow it to assist on the occasional hill but mostly if the headwinds are especially cruel on our out and back. It’s also nice for a quick grocery run if you aren’t in a workout/sweaty mood. I find it’s the best of both worlds. Last note...........I’ve seen plenty of entitled lycra clad assholes on road bikes roaring along at unsafe speeds dodging in and out around pedestrians when it’s too crowded to be riding that speed. E bikes have nothing to do with those people.

By the way......in addition to our rides 2-3 days a week, we swim - really swim not “paddle around” - 3 days a week anywhere from 1300 to 2000 yards a workout mostly pool but sometimes ocean during the summer, standup paddle about once a week, TRX 3 times a week and golf 2-3 times a week walking the front 9 carrying about a 25 pound bag of 14 clubs , cart on the back 9 if it’s 18. Toss in a backcountry hike when the trails are open and we’re pretty damn active oldsters. We’re not rippling with muscles at our age but we’re not trying to. The goals for our workouts are to delay the impacts of aging, have fun, and prolong life.

So, fat geriatric generalizations............are generalizations and based on the worst stereotypes which does not reflect the complete experience. In fact, most folks our age around here are doing very similar things. Perhaps you have a different group you’re exposed to.  

Heh heh ... This is always fun. Memory Lane. Hermosa Beach 1942 bum here. First day in HS, math teacher and football coach, Cardona?, sez: "Blue Crab? I think I knew yer daddy ... and that other idiot was yer uncle I guess." We invented the skateboard. Hobie was a HB lifeguard. Dewey Weber was the best surfer alive. A lot of us figured to be second best. Long Beach State, grad school and kept moving away from smog and people and cold water. A great place to be a kid, tho. 

Good to hear you guys hanging in and doing your best. Me too. Gotta run, big wind coming Monday. First big storm in many a year when I don't have a boat to worry about. 

3 hours ago, Blue Crab said:

Heh heh ... This is always fun. Memory Lane. Hermosa Beach 1942 bum here. First day in HS, math teacher and football coach, Cardona?, sez: "Blue Crab? I think I knew yer daddy ... and that other idiot was yer uncle I guess." We invented the skateboard. Hobie was a HB lifeguard. Dewey Weber was the best surfer alive. A lot of us figured to be second best. Long Beach State, grad school and kept moving away from smog and people and cold water. A great place to be a kid, tho. 

Good to hear you guys hanging in and doing your best. Me too. Gotta run, big wind coming Monday. First big storm in many a year when I don't have a boat to worry about. 

I’m a little behind you time wise. Rolling up on 70 soon. Spent most of my high school years along SD county beaches. Lifeguarded SD City Bays and beaches once I got out of USN.......76 & 77 then off to the FD. Good luck in the storm. 

On 8/2/2020 at 1:20 PM, Blue Crab said:

As pretty much the oldest guy here, let's get real about exercise: Work at it or die in your armchair. 

I pretty much agree with the Crab on the E bike thing.  While I can see the benefit of folks like PB and his wife using them the way they do but I have a feeling most people that own them don't do that.

I'll be 65 in a few months.  I've had both knees replaced, and with some progressively degenerative neuro-muscular disorder going on, I can't walk more than maybe 75 yards now, and that's if somebody had a gun in my back.  My knees don't bend enough to ride any kind of bike, but I wouldn't be able to peddle much anyway.  My arms aren't very useful either.  I can float in our pool and wave an arm now and then to turn around, so there's that.

I'll be the guy dying in my armchair probably.

I hope y'all wear helmets on your bikes, E or otherwise.