Sign in to follow this  
T sailor

J120 clutches

My boat needs to upgrade all the clutches as they are all slipping.  clutches there are a mix of XAS and XTS spinlocks.  I am debating doing constrictors for the halyards and reef lines.  I have done a search and seen both positives and negatives for these?  Anyone have feedback here on what works for a 120?  I also noticed that just about every 120 I have seen has two clutches for the main halyard?  That is what I have now and it works OK (it actually seems to slip the least amount) but seems like a bandaid solution.  

Spinlock clutches can have their internals replaced (cams and base plates). Is a bit of work but less $$ than an all new clutch. The new parts can be sized to the the lines going through them which helps. Going with the ceramic parts will slow down the wear. 

However, on a 120, if you have low stretch halyards and lines you will probably need to keep the halyards on a winch going upwind.

I have constrictors on my J120. They work. No slip if milked.  Easy on the line. Lightweight.

I find them, though, to be less instantly obvious in their function than clutches. You can see at a glance when a clutch is open.

New crew require some adjustment time to react quickly to the constrictors. 

Thanks for responding.  We are going with constrictors for the Main, Jib and reef lines and traditional spinlocks for the kite halyards.  

Was looking for some feedback on the constrictors specifically on a boat like a 120, so thanks for replying.

T